Awoo.

Sonic lands #1 on GT's "Top 10 WORST Blockbusters"

Autosaver

I'm still scratching my head WHY they mentioned Adventure 2, and leave out Black Knight, Secret Rings, Shadow the Hedgehog and to an extent Free Riders.

But you know, this will never end. Most people think Sonic is completely dead. The release of Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) made it clear to almost everyone that Sonic is dead, and they will continue to mock the franchise with the Sonic Cycle and putting Sonic #1 on the "worst current franchise" list yadda yadda yadda.

The Sonic franchise is trying to rebuild itself recently, and the results of Colors and Generations showed that, but to be honest these games are not good enough for everyone to take Sonic seriously. And on top of that, Sonic 4 the way it is ISN'T helping.

Generations is by far the best Sonic game we had for a long time, but again, best Sonic game. However, a couple of my friends who are gamers for example wouldn't want to waste their time playing Generations because they have other AAA titles to play. They don't care about Sonic.

The only way, and I mean the only way for the Sonic franchise to get the respect it deserves once more is for Sonic Team to make an outstanding game which is GOTY material. You see Batman: Arkham City, Uncharted 3 and Skyrim nominated for last year's GOTY? A Sonic game must be nominated there for it to get the true respect it deserves. It's then people can really say "Sonic is back" and stop mocking the franchise.

Edited by Ming Ming Love
  • Thumbs Up 6

The only way, and I mean the only way for the Sonic franchise to get the respect it deserves once more is for Sonic Team to make an outstanding game which is GOTY material. You see Batman: Arkham City, Uncharted 3 and Skyrim nominated for last year's GOTY? A Sonic game must be nominated there for it to get the true respect it deserves. It's then people can really say "Sonic is back" and stop mocking the franchise.

Sadly I don't see that happening anytime soon. Although Sonic Generations did make it in to ScrewAttack's "Top 10 Games of 2011" list, which proves that not everyone in the gaming community has the "Sonic is dead" mentality at least. I personally know a few people who have started to like Sonic again after Generations. Sonic's definitely making a new name for himself in the gaming world, it's just never going to be the same as it used to be. There are just too many people who are looking for reasons to hate Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 2

Even if Sonic puts out AAA titles, there will always be a group of people who will be looking for any shallow, narrow-minded reason to hate it (etc: 'shitty friends' present, any kind of story, 3D games is always bad, modern Sonic)

Also, critics will still continue to bring up Sonic 06 and the cycle whenever a new Sonic game is announced and they're going to continue using it until Sonic fucks up again so they can mock him for it. It's like the series is starting all over again each time.

Edited by sonfan1984
  • Thumbs Up 1

Or... just keep making good Sonic games until enough time passes for the "dark ages" to be nothing but a distant memory.

Edited by Machenstein
  • Thumbs Up 3

It's not just Adventure 1, it's both the Adventures.

And also note that they don't mention Shadow the Hedgehog. What, I'm suppose to believe they thought that was good like SA1?

Even more hilarious is that you're defending this when even the commenters at GT of all people see that they're taking the piss here.

I don't know what to tell you because frankly I don't see what's so great about Adventure 2. The game's a pile if you ask me.

I'm still scratching my head WHY they mentioned Adventure 2, and leave out Black Knight, Secret Rings, Shadow the Hedgehog and to an extent Free Riders.

But you know, this will never end. Most people think Sonic is completely dead. The release of Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) made it clear to almost everyone that Sonic is dead, and they will continue to mock the franchise with the Sonic Cycle and putting Sonic #1 on the "worst current franchise" list yadda yadda yadda.

The Sonic franchise is trying to rebuild itself recently, and the results of Colors and Generations showed that, but to be honest these games are not good enough for everyone to take Sonic seriously. And on top of that, Sonic 4 the way it is ISN'T helping.

Generations is by far the best Sonic game we had for a long time, but again, best Sonic game. However, a couple of my friends who are gamers for example wouldn't want to waste their time playing Generations because they have other AAA titles to play. They don't care about Sonic.

As to your first question, I suspect it has to do with the video's run time, the probably wanted to keep it under a certain length. Or maybe they were so unremarkable they forgot about them, obviously can't say for sure. As for the rest of your post, I agree.

If I may veer off topic for a moment; I just want to share my stance on something:

I think Disney sucks. They're terrible and watching their movies is a waste of time.

I mean... sure, the Disney Renaissance films are all masterpieces of animation, Tangled and The Princess and the Frog both proudly show that Disney has been revived and is just as great as before, and their older movies revolutionized animation, but... guys. They made Home on the Range. I do believe that their newest movies are all fantastic and I can't wait for Frozen and Wreck-It Ralph, and I would easily put some of the Renaissance films on my list of favorite movies, but... they made Home on the Range. That's unforgivable. I hate Disney.

Not that this has anything to do with Sonic, by the way. Just felt like sharing.

And because I get the feeling somebody's going to miss the point completely, yes, I'm being very sarcastic.

You joke, but I think that Disney has made more bad movies than they have good movies, and that's not even counting the straight to video sequels. So many forced romances from nowhere (I'm looking at you, Lion King), stupid sidekicks (Hunchback), and shall we say, "zany" antics (Hellllloooo Lilo and stitch). It's ironic that I didn't even know my favorite Disney movie (Rescuers Down Under) was a Disney movie because it seemed so uncharacteristic of them.

I'm not entirely convince that any of the Sonic games mentioned outside of 06, could actually be considered a "blockbuster"

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm not entirely convince that any of the Sonic games mentioned outside of 06, could actually be considered a "blockbuster"

They were just categorizing blockbuster under any game that has sold at least 1 million copies.

Their criteria in the video was a million seller. Which reminds me, most movie games sell decently but seldom break 1 million. Kids games tend to be slower burns at retail, but the hype window for movie games tends to be short, so not a lot of them sell.

This is all that needs to be said.

^ This. It's quite clear that the people who compiled this list and placed Sonic at the top still have their nostalgia goggles glued to their face and with the time period set in late 2008.

• Thumbs Up 2

Hey I actually really love Unleashed, one of my favorite Sonic titles. GT has officially hit an all-time low.

• Thumbs Up 2

People are always waiting, both critics and fans, for that period where everyone loves Sonic again like in the early 90s. Shit like this, i.e. critics being silly, as well as other critics and fans never agreeing, means we'll never hit the early 90s period for Sonic ever again, even if he gets several GOTY titles in a row.

Haha, lol. ok thats all i'm going to dwell on it.

Posted your post over at GT 'Boost. pretty much shares my view on all this.

People are always waiting, both critics and fans, for that period where everyone loves Sonic again like in the early 90s. Shit like this, i.e. critics being silly, as well as other critics and fans never agreeing, means we'll never hit the early 90s period for Sonic ever again, even if he gets several GOTY titles in a row.

To be frank, I don't think that's ever going to happen. Sonic is deeply rooted in the 90's, and much of his appeal comes from what was popular at the time. Unless mascot platformers come back into the forefront of popularity, we won't be seeing Sonic do as well as he did back then.

To be frank, I don't think that's ever going to happen. Sonic is deeply rooted in the 90's, and much of his appeal comes from what was popular at the time. Unless mascot platformers come back into the forefront of popularity, we won't be seeing Sonic do as well as he did back then.

Fair point. Probably a bit of both tbh, I'm in agreement in saying that Sonic will never hit the popularity of the early 90s again. Bit of column A, bit of column B, as it were.

I played Unleashed yesterday and have to say, I really enjoyed it. For a while the game had seemed like an un-fair boost fest, but having replayed it, I found myself re-evaluating it.

Of course, Sonic stages, not that bleeding Werehog.

My problem with game websites talking about Sonic like this, is that they make the games sound as if they equate to something like Ninjabread man - where there is literally no way to have fun with it and the quality is shocking.

Now they say that Sonic Unleashed doesn't deserve the cash it generates? Ehem. Let me draw your attention to the fact that it was one of Sonic's most expensive games as of late, and the fact that it clearly has a heck of a lot of effort put into it. Just look at the art direction and you'll see that a lot of thought was put in. Not even that, they built a whole new freakin' engine to be able to handle Sonic's speed. Sega deserved every sale of that game. As everyone has said a million times, minus the Werehog, the game would've been really good. It's just a shame that that brought it down so much.

I give them full credit to beat Sonic 06 as much as they want, as that was a rushed and badly designed piece of crap. But when they mentioned SA2.

My blood boiled.

Ok, overexagerating slightly. But seriously, wtf GT? SA2 sold really well because it is a good game. I hate it when video game journalists make crap up like this, you cannot go back and try and change people's minds about something just cause you're butthurt that your favourite game didn't sell as well.

Edited by Wordy
  • Thumbs Up 6

I could probably see if Sonic was on the list, but number one? Hahahaha...no.

• Thumbs Up 1

GT gave Shadow an 8.3. They were one of the few to give that game a good score. But why is SA2 on there? I can't believe they don't like it. And they did give Gen an 8.0. I don't know. I just find it funny how people switch camps with IGN and GT. Whenever IGN gives a bad review I usually see "You can't spell IGNorant w/out IGN." and so on. And then when a site gives a game fans like a bad score like Gamespot giving Skyward Sword the infamous 7.5, it's funny to see stuff like "Gamespot has hit an all time low." Not that I don't agree, but it's funny and interesting to see reactions. It happens with all game sites.

What's betting that the person who made this list even PLAYED the damn game?

That's why I'll never call a game bad until I've played it.

I find alot of online sites which involve gaming are very biased towards nintendo examples include the smosh pit, Screwattack, IGN etc.

Sonic, outside of the fanbase, isn't a respected character any more and that is a tragedy.

• Thumbs Up 1

Even though I don't care for the game all that much, why the hell is SA2 on the list? GT really fucked up this time. Guess they're becoming Call of Duty supporters. :/

• Thumbs Up 1

Um, I like Call of Duty, and I like Sonic too.

What-ho?! A CoD supporter in our ranks?! Seize that scandalous wench!

Anyway, I think the series' current reputation amongst online crowds despite the increasing quality of the games is a lot more nuanced then "They like shooters so they must hate Sonic" or "They couldn't have possibly played the game."

I think it's part pandering to an already existing readership that we don't overlap with, part inability or incompetence at looking at all of the games from a more objective, less rose-tinted angle in subsequence, part ignorance of what truly makes the old and new games click with their respective audiences, part the fact that games journalism still blows, part mistakes on Sega's part in terms of game design and execution, and part unrealistic expectations (Yes, expecting Sonic to go back to being the overhyped Mario killer he once was is unrealistic in 2012; sorry).

These types of lists are symptomatic of a lot of things, not just only and inherently some dudebro mentality where people only play CoD and not colorful platformers because the latter aren't in vogue.

• Thumbs Up 8

IIRC, didn't GT rate Shadow an 8.5?

No it was 8.3. They liked the replay value and alternate scenarios. I also remember they gave Sonic Riders Zero Gravity a really bad score, they really hated that game.

But no review made people as angry as IGN's Unleashed HD review. People hated that review.

• Thumbs Up 1