Awoo.

Kikizo Interview with Tetsu Katano

YoshiUnity

Guess I'm still the only one who loved Twilight Princess, and I'm loving playing through it again.

Sure it wasn't an MM or WW, but MegaMan 9 seemed to prove that everyone loves a good rehash once in a while.

And Mario's one or two masterpieces per gen is still better than Sonic's current track record. Maybe they're overrated, but they're still infinitely better than Sonic in his current state I'm afraid.

Edited by SuperLink

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SuperLink

• Solid SOAP

• Phos

• blackherox

Sonic is still definitely a gaming icon, everyone knows who he is and if you mention his name people will definitely know who you're talking about. It's just that the recent games, bar Unleashed, Rush, etc, are shitty and no one likes them.

Yeeeeeeeeeeah, about that. Wasn't Secret Rings view as good? Not outstanding or great, but in the mediocre to good area? At least form all the quotes I've seen. Yeah some people hated it, had a best friend who did, but I don't remember the hate being overwhelming.

Sonic and the Black Knight, from what I've seen, seems dead-on, Love it or fuck it. A straight up 'try it for yourself' game. (Myself, I enjoyed the experience a little more than Unleashed but I'm only one man.)

I enjoyed Secret Rings a bit, but it was nearly broken and had awful controls. It could be enjoyable if you got past it's problems, but I wouldn't call it good.

Sonic is still definitely a gaming icon, everyone knows who he is and if you mention his name people will definitely know who you're talking about. It's just that the recent games, bar Unleashed, Rush, etc, are shitty and no one likes them.

Most of those people also don't know that Sonic has a voice because they haven't played one since Sonic 2... Unless you're talking about little kids.

Most of those people also don't know that Sonic has a voice because they haven't played one since Sonic 2... Unless you're talking about little kids.

People who played Sonic Adventure when they were ten for the first time are now adults.

So... yeah right.

This is pretty much my opinion on this matter.

At a lack of better words, x3. It has a lot to track though.

About Mario Galaxy, yeah it's good, it has some good concepts but it didn't strike me as such a special thing like people like to hail it. Of course, this is opinion, don't be offended.

People who played Sonic Adventure when they were ten for the first time are now adults.

So... yeah right.

Most of those people

Most

More than just put the game against a mario game. I think that the main reason Sonic stopped being Mario's "rival2 was because the end of SEGA's consoles...

Sonic useb to make people think that they should buy a genesis over a SNES! But we must remember that now SEGA does Sonic games for Nintendo.

I don't know about you, but that is what i think is the reason of the end of the rivality...

We'll never see a Sonic game at the quality level of a Mario game or any other top Nintendo series again. SU wasn't bad but Sonic Team lacks the talent (not that they suck or anything), the funding, and the development time to deliver something at Mario Galaxy's level. Plus once Sega became 3rd party they didn't need Sonic to be a system seller anymore. It's pretty obvious Sonic's quality went down once Sega went 3rd party.

It's a shame too. Even with all the awful games Sonic has been in, he's still fairly popular. Could you imagine how big he would be if his games did have the same care as Nintendo's top games?

Why not? That makes no sense. Not as talented? The Hedgehog Engine is one of the best engines around so saying ST has lack of talent or aren't as good as Nintendo's Mario R&D isn't accurate at all. ST hasn't got the grasp on things due to many other details but it's NOT because of lack of talent. Mario R&D have Miyamoto to thank being this good for so many years because nothing that he doesn't want makes the cut, one of the reasons why he fumbled the ball in Sunshine.

Edited by redmenace

Okay, so we're pretending everything about modern Sonic relates to a minority, are we?

I'm saying that this "anyone" knows Sonic from his classic games, and probably hasn't played the new ones.

E: The Hedgehog Engine irritates me because they're shooting for something that the console can't seem to deliver optimally.

Edited by Phos

E: The Hedgehog Engine irritates me because they're shooting for something that the console can't seem to deliver optimally.

How so? The game looks great and the only level I've ever had any visual problems on, meaning framerate, is Adabat day. There were some small framerate problems in Empire City and Chun-nan hub worlds as well, but stuff like that could of been ironed out and fixed in a month's time or so, and aren't even distracting to the game experience. The Hedgehog Engine was a success in my eyes, Sonic Unleashed looks damn near close to a CGI movie.

Blocky shadows, too much reliance on variable level of detail (It kills immersion), blocky Depth of Field (How did they manage that?), obviously doesn't even hit 720p.

On the PS3, it hits 60 fps... when it feels like it.

On the 360, they limited it to 30 fps, and they still couldn't maintain that.

I'm saying that this "anyone" knows Sonic from his classic games, and probably hasn't played the new ones.

Frankly, that's like saying that the "everybody" who saw the 2007 Transformers movie were all fans of the G1 series.

The older something gets, the fewer people there will be that remember it. And even then, the new games have been long enough to create their own nostalgia.

Frankly, that's like saying that the "everybody" who saw the 2007 Transformers movie were all fans of the G1 series.

Not really, no. One is a theatrically released movie with a massive ad campaign and the other is a children's show aimed at the 6 to 10 crowd. The majority of people who know of Sonic gained that knowledge from the old games and haven't kept up with the times. That's the case of every person not on the internet who I have been in a conversion that hit upon Sonic, and that's how he beats Mario in popularity contests. It's definitely not quality.
The older something gets, the fewer people there will be that remember it.
Whatever you say.
And even then, the new games have been long enough to create their own nostalgia.

This has nothing to with nostalgia, it's a matter of the image people have in their mind of Sonic and where it came from.

All I'm here to prove is that...

- The Sonic series still sucks compared to the Mario series.

- This shouldn't be the case

- Every Publisher has their killer IP

- SEGA lost theirs, they need it back.

SEGA make lots of good games, but they never make incredible games anymore. Heck, even Capcom have made some great games lately. Capcom.

..what's wrong with Capcom? They've been making fantastic games for a while now, and they usually never fail when it comes to game quality these days. Almost every game they make nowadays gets within the 8-9/10 range in reviews, with some small exceptions I suppose. Capcom have also greatly innovated third person shooter controls in a huge way with Resident Evil 4, EVERY game with guns in 3rd person uses the aiming system from Resident Evil 4, every one, that's not an exaggeration. You say Capcom like they were never that good to begin with.

Blocky shadows, too much reliance on variable level of detail (It kills immersion), blocky Depth of Field (How did they manage that?), obviously doesn't even hit 720p.

I haven't had any blocky shadow problems, so I don't know what you're talking about there. I'm not too sure what you're trying to say regarding the latter two problems, but I have I had very few complaints with the game's graphics, I think they look absolutely wonderful.

On the PS3, it hits 60 fps... when it feels like it.

On the 360, they limited it to 30 fps, and they still couldn't maintain that.

Okay, and how many games these days NEVER experience lag problems, EVER. There has been a total of TWO levels in the entire game where I had bad problems with the games framerate, both problems always occur in the exact same spot so it's not even like it's much of a problem before. I can't think of a game that came out this generation that managed to keep an entirely consistant framerate throughout the whole experience. For what the Hedgehog Engine tries to do, it does a damn good job at it, especially it being the FIRST game they're using it in, meaning that later games will give them time to improve it.

Edited by Solid SOAP

Nah, IMO Capcom used to be great, but nowadays they just rehash and make you pay extra for stuff that should be in the game to start with.

Despite them making great games like RE5 and DMC4, they've stopped going the extra mile just because. Not to mention all the Resident Evil milking they're doing with the Wii... Despite that they still make better games than SEGA.

Edited by SuperLink

Nah, IMO Capcom used to be great, but nowadays they just rehash and make you pay extra for stuff that should be in the game to start with.

Despite them making great games like RE5 and DMC4, they've stopped going the extra mile just because. Not to mention all the Resident Evil milking they're doing with the Wii... Despite that they still make better games than SEGA.

True, Capcom have gotten a bit cowy lately, but their games are still ace. RE5 is overrated IMO, but games like Dead Rising, Bionic Commando: Rearmed, Street Fighter IV, the upcoming Bionic Commando sequel, etc, are all pretty great games. Not perfect, but they're all fun and well made experiences.

Yep, which is the sad thing. Even though Capcom have gotten lazy in the last few years (I just remembered Clover... *sigh*) they still outgame SEGA, and especially Sonic.

Now when Sonic Team are trying their "best" and Capcom still far outrank them, something's really not right.

Yeah I commend SEGA for that one since it seems to have become really popular. I just wish they put that kind of effort into Sonic. Why not? He's their mascot >.<

Still, one game in such a long time? I feel like a sucker for mentioning aggregate scores but I can think of games from almost every developer with scores of over 90% recently... even if Valkyria is very nearly there.

Yeah I commend SEGA for that one since it seems to have become really popular. I just wish they put that kind of effort into Sonic. Why not? He's their mascot >.<

Still, one game in such a long time? I feel like a sucker for mentioning aggregate scores but I can think of games from almost every developer with scores of over 90% recently... even if Valkyria is very nearly there.

Fine, Yakuza 3 and there are more where this one came from. They've done more this last year than Nintendo did with their Wii Music and Wii Fit. Nintendo's (internal studios') killer games (Mario, Zelda, Metroid) are out for more than a year and a half ago.

But I agree they need more care for their original mascot. I can't see where Sonic Unleashed HD doesn't show this however.

Edited by redmenace