Awoo.

What is that action gauge supposed to even do? I don't really remember too much from this game (thankfully)

It's supposed to deplete when you use certain moves. It works for Shadow and Silver, but not Sonic (except, if I remember correctly, when he uses Elise to create that shield (I still don't get how that ability...)), so he can use those coloured gems infinitely without the gauge depleting.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't get it. Maybe people will get mad they can't abuse gems anymore? XD

You could use the purple gem to jump indefinitely and go anywhere in the level.

What is that action gauge supposed to even do? I don't really remember too much from this game (thankfully)

It was supposed to be used up by the gems, but it always stayed full no matter what so you could use them as long as you want to.

My friend.. MADE THE ACTION GAUGE WORK?! ALL OF YOU, I DEMAND YOU. GIVE HIM A MEDAL, DANG IT.

So, uh, I don't believe I know you.

As for 06 beta stuff, I suppose I may as well post this:

Edited by Melpontro
  • Thumbs Up 2

Oh... My... God...

This guy deserves more then a medal!

The guy who got his hands on the E3 demo said he gave it to someone else. Could this be the guy he gave it too? To work on restoring 06 to it's original glory?

I don't get it. Maybe people will get mad they can't abuse gems anymore? XD

Why, exactly.

Also, I heard the game's pretty easy to mod anyway. It's written completely in Lua, which means it has a metric fuckton of potential for mods.

But let's stop before this turns into the Sonic 06 Mods Topic...

Oh... My... God...

The guy who got his hands on the E3 demo said he gave it to someone else. Could this be the guy he gave it too? To work on restoring 06 to it's original glory?

I am incredibly confused. What exactly happened in the videos above this comment? I cannot tell any difference between the footage on the video and what Sonic 06 is normally like.

Oh... My... God...

Nope, I have tried contacting him but he refused to sell or dump it.

All of those animations are all just still in the game

I am incredibly confused. What exactly happened in the videos above this comment? I cannot tell any difference between the footage on the video and what Sonic 06 is normally like.

There are a few noticeable changes. Not all are in that one video. Some animations from the E3 demo have been inserted, the energy gauge seems to work now, the Homing Attack has gravity and Sonic runs faster.

In another video, you can see a changes he has made to Silver. Increased running speed, increased flying speed, better air dash and larger telekinesis range.

There are a few noticeable changes. Not all are in that one video. Some animations from the E3 demo have been inserted, the energy gauge seems to work now, the Homing Attack has gravity and Sonic runs faster.

In another video, you can see a changes he has made to Silver. Increased running speed, increased flying speed, better air dash and larger telekinesis range.

Before you know it, he may be able to properly code the Rainbow Gem for Sonic. :D

Slightly off topic, but some guy had the TGS 2005 demo, but he lost it because his dog destroyed it. I remember it on Youtube PM's, tried looking back through mine but could not find the message.

Edited by Chaos Warp

My friend.. MADE THE ACTION GAUGE WORK?! ALL OF YOU, I DEMAND YOU. GIVE HIM A MEDAL, DANG IT.

So.........it begins...........

Slightly off topic, but some guy had the TGS 2005 demo, but he lost it because his dog destroyed it. I remember it on Youtube PM's, tried looking back through mine but could not find the message.

Dang.. That's a real shame. My only guess is that only SEGA has it in their archives.

Yes it does. This dude is awesome at modding this game. Back on topic, which one of you has the XBLA demo? Edited by Dr. Felix

So what begins? The process of making a shitty game slightly less shitty? Regardless, I didn't hate 06 because of the broken action gauge; the ability to cheat actually made it a bit less torturous.

• Thumbs Up 2

So what begins? The process of making a shitty game slightly less shitty? Regardless, I didn't hate 06 because of the broken action gauge; the ability to cheat actually made it a bit less torturous.

I actually like '06 as a game, but I agree, using the gems is a great way to abuse the game's broken features. XD

You know, even if you can't really keep it from being a bad game, I've always been interested in making this bad game better, especially when it's related to digging up prototype information about it.

Really glad to see someone took up the idea of doing this. Hope to see more, man!

• Thumbs Up 7

Let's go back in time to the year 2005...

...Wow.

Okay, so I'm going to assume most of you have seen this tech demo before. It's the precursor to the big 15th anniversary title that SEGA was going to give us. We were hyped. Really, everyone was excited after seeing this. This was it! After a couple years of grim-dark gun-toting alien hedgehogs, compilation re-releases and mediocre team-based gameplay, depsite the very dutiful (though admittedly low-key) handheld games on Nintendo's GameBoy Advance and DS, we were certainly ready for what Sonic Team had to offer us. Sonic the Hedgehog.

No Adventure 3, no Sonic 4, no subtitle, no twists, nothing. Just straight up Sonic the Hedgehog for the next generation. Sonic 2006, Sonic Next-Gen, whatever we called it, we were stoked.

Even gaming critics, when they got their hands on the pre-release, were hopeful:

http://ps3.ign.com/a...4/704899p1.html

As Sonic's former stalker and rip-off artist once said...

bubsycartoon02.png

"What could possibly go wrong?!"

The answer? Everything.

Ladies and Gentleniks, Sonic the Hedgehog for the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 is a horrific tragedy. It's actually fairly depressing to read these hopeful articles from big-name gaming critics, only to see this title become the laughing-stock of the industry.

What happened? What went wrong? What is it about this game that caused so much disappointment and shame? It's not like this was E.T. the Video Game, right? Right?

We really have to analyze this one objectively and without bias. Sonic '06 is a hideous, but fascinating train wreck, far more than the average flop. There are indeed people who like this game, so is there something more to the game than we give it credit for, or is it simply a guilty pleasure to us? Some people enjoy some really terrible films and games for no good reason aside from nostalgia, perhaps. For me, I have this bizarre enjoyment when playing Sonic R sometimes. It's not a good game by any stretch of the imagination, but I can't seem to figure out why I liked it. I suppose it was solid enough, I mean, it still qualified as a game and kept me entertained.

Maybe we can look at Sonic 2006 the same way?

SonicEliseKiss-600x337.png

...Erm.

I really took the time to think about this. Why some people like it, but mostly why everyone doesn't. I can easily pass the former point to guilty pleasure, nostalgia or apathy. It's not that hard, if you like it, then you like it. No harm done.

But the amount of hate for this game is incredible. And that's the thing... I have this hatred for it, too. It might not burn as brightly as others, but for what it's worth, this game seems to provoke negative reactions from me that I don't get from Sonic Labyrinth, Sonic Spinball (for the Game Gear) or even Sonic's Schoolhouse. Those 3 are far worse than Sonic 2006, but have never managed to provide fuel for my angry furnace like Sonic 2006. What the heck is the problem?

It's this.

sonic_15th.gif

"Happy Birthday Sonic and Sonic fanbase, here's your present!"

Suddenly, it makes sense. This game made promises. Promises that it broke more violently than dynamite in a glass house. This game was supposed to be a celebration for 15 years of Sonic. 15 years of great games and a return to form. Sure, the last couple of games were misguided, but now we're going back to the games you loved, like the Sonic Adventure games, only more epic!

Wait.

Like the Sonic Adventure games, only more epic!

Like the Sonic Adventure games.

The Sonic Adventure games.

Sonic Adventure.

Here's the main problem, everyone, besides marketing. They had based their return-to-form upon the foundation that Sonic Adventure had set, not the originals.

What foundation did Sonic Adventure set? Multiple genres, hub worlds and relatively deep stories and cutscenes. Oh.

See, that's the first mistake they made. They founded their game upon the bits and pieces of a relatively good Sonic game that weren't very good. Amy, Knuckles, Big and Gamma played nothing like Sonic, and were generally seen as a chore to most people. Not everyone liked the hub worlds, and I can't imagine I'm the only one skipping through the cutscenes nowadays. The development team saw the success of Sonic Adventure 1 and 2, and drew their inspiration from those games. Unfortunately, this included their major flaws that should never have been repeated.

From the very start, the concepts and blueprints were flawed. No flow and no focus. You couldn't simply progress from one level to the next like traditional Sonic games, you had to navigate the barren hub worlds, complete town missions and find upgrades to keep going. This was a terrible idea, especially after actually getting progression right in Sonic Heroes and Shadow the Hedgehog!

And by the genre-roulette design, Sonic again had lost much of his spotlight. His story significance was depleted to that of rescuing the princess, losing the princess, rescuing her again, getting killed and contributing about 1/3 of the "hog-power" necessary to finish of the final boss. Meanwhile, Shadow and Silver are uncovering the truth behind everything and are the ones actually providing meaning to the story. Not only was Sonic gimped in terms of story, but also in gameplay. He took up about 1/3rd of the character roster, not including the dilution from the "Amigo" sections, and was actually slower than Omega. Excuse me?!

And it's not just Sonic himself that suffered from this, everyone did, in terms of personality and characterization mainly, but also in terms of gameplay. The whole thing is just unfinished. Speaking of unfinished, let's talk glitches. You see, I'm pretty much convinced that this game was never actually bug-tested, at least not by anyone with competence. How could so many glitches and errors be overlooked?

Good LORD.

And it's not like these are small bugs you can overlook, these are

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MWEHwvcnyM.

I don't think I need to talk much about the loading times and storyline convolution, questionable plot devices and overall rushed development time. These are a given. But as I was saying...

This game is downright tragic. It promised a whole lot, and it delivered almost nothing. Yuji Naka jumped ship. Sonic Team USA shut down. Directors were changed around again. Sonic became an example of what NOT to do. The general gaming public have no respect for Sonic anymore. Had it not been for the loyal fanbase and strong will of the company, Sonic would probably be gone right now.

And really, had this been anything other than Sonic, I don't think it would garner as much hate and panning. But Sonic was an icon, a face of the gaming industry. He was a pioneer that changed everything, and then this comes out. It's not worse than ET or Superman 64, but it's far more disappointing and disheartening than any other terrible game out there. It's because of the promises, the hype, and the end result. This was supposed to be Sonic's big break... and yeah, he broke alright.

The main good thing to come out of this game was that of a wake-up call to SEGA and Sonic Team. They couldn't let anything like this happen again. From then on, they put more heart into their games. Sure, we had a couple more "meh" games to wade through, but I think

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBqarwN-1TUhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPuOg6IzxW8http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCYbmTL_fTM

Again, quite a fascinating train-wreck.

• Thumbs Up 1

Two screenshots, though with Sonic standing still, demonstrating the day & night system. His shoes and eyes also look somewhat more glossy.

800px-S2006-Sega_Europe_FTP_13.jpg

800px-S2006-Sega_Europe_FTP_14.jpg

Edited by Dr. Felix
  • Thumbs Up 4

Jesus Christ, I thought Sonic looked like a stoner in 06. But in those screens he looks like a goddamn zombie. D;

Doesn't help that his eyes and shoes look like they're covered in dirt and dust, as if he had just gotten out of his grave. Sonic 4 Ep 1's visuals are Sonic Unleashed compared to that!

That isn't just ugly, it's utterly frightening.

Edited by A Spray Can in Tokyo-to

I'd say SEGA should have announced one thing at a time. They did promise too much, and the game was hyped out of the ball park.

I heard something about the game being released in late 2007. Is this true?

I'd say SEGA should have announced one thing at a time. They did promise too much, and the game was hyped out of the ball park.

I heard something about the game being released in late 2007. Is this true?

Pretty sure it wasn't Microsoft. I've heard things about MS rushing Sega or whatever, but I don't think that's true. Probably just rushed for Christmas season.

The game was meant to be released in mid-2007,but was rushed to late 2006 for debated reasons:

• Meddling from Microsoft

• Rushed for the Christmas season

• Rushed for the 15th anniversary

• The fanbase

All I know is that it was rushed for some reason.

• Thumbs Up 1