Awoo.

The SimCity Thread of Offline Play

PeanutButterDimond

That's SimCity Social, a different game entirely.

He bolded the correct bit in the quote, it does indeed apply to Social too.

• 8 months later...

If the offline mode also removes the arbitrarily narrow city limits to enforce cooperation between players, then by george we might actually have a decent Sim City game on our hands.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think that it is too late at this point with the addition of offline mode for this game due to the fact that existing customers have already returned the game and played one of the other city builders such as Tropico and Cities XL in addition to the older Sim City titles available.  New customers will also pass on this game due to the negative press surrounding it from the various media outlets as well as word of mouth.  EA and Maxis really screwed up this game so badly that it has become an example of what not to do with online-only games and will most likely result in the shuttering of the Maxis studio if the track record is anything to go by.

Revolutionary! Why hasn't anyone ever thought of this before?

The greatest thing to grace videogames since cartridges ushered in a new era of gaming!

Well hey, at least they're being honest and to the point now.

I'd wonder if this would help EA realise the "always online" thing is total bullshit and so they won't be pushing it anymore, but I'm too pessimistic on the matter. I guess they're just trying to do damage control after it's been revealed they're blatant liars, but I think it's too late to undo the damage at this point for reasons others have stated.

SimCity 4 is still buckets of fun to me, so I can take a rain check on whatever the EA dev teams put out.

But I already bought all of my friends who would have had their interest returned SimCity 4 in the Steam sales.

I got this game for Christmas and have already sunk a couple of dozen hours into it. I haven't had any server connection problems, except for one involving a persistent "not connected to Origin" message which lead to me having to re-install the game. It's pretty fun, I've had a fairly big city going in the DC region of the North American East 1 server, the income from my replica Globe Theatre saved that city from ruin on several occasions, and I intend to use it to help other cities I might build too. I bought the British and German city packs, but having to pay half a million Simoleons to put their landmarks down seems really shitty of them.

I'm really glad that I didn't get the game earlier, and I'm very happy about all the work Maxis has put into making this game what it always should have been. Yeah, it's a bit shallow, but that's okay right now, and I don't even hate the always online stuff; it's nice to have other cities growing up around mine, instead of me being alone in an empty, desolate region.

Even with this offline mode, unless the game goes down a lot more in price, I doubt even I would consider it, when I do love sim city. I'll just go back and play Sim City 4 some more if I want to anyway. I like that game alot already =P

I felt the same way, but then I got the game at Christmas and... yeah it is a very different beast to SC4, but I'm actually having fun with no issues surrounding connectivity, A.I. or other things and I'd definitely recommend it if you can find it under, say, $20. Until then, SC4 is still fantastic. I wish the new SC had a region/city editor, multiple city sizes and better A.I., but I'm okay without them for now. I hate how EA has turned every new Sims game into a great big chain of expansions, but hell, I wish SC4 had got, and SC will get, similar amounts of love.

So to recap: SC4 is basically the city sim version of Sonic Dash? Pretty garbage at first, but all the modifications and such by the dev team have made it a much more enjoyable game?

Maybe I'll consider it. It sounds like EA finally is seeing the error of its ways and is allowing Maxis to make a game that's actually fun, rather than a cash cow and/or unnecessarily draconian in requirements.

The always online thing had just never sat well with me, otherwise, I likely would have already bought sim city long ago not long after release. I love sim city. It is just a fun time to plan and make a nice city that can be whatever you want. Still, $20 is a bit of a purchase to me, but maybe I could get it one day if this offline mode really isn't going to take anything away from it when it is ready.