Awoo.

The SimCity Thread of Offline Play

PeanutButterDimond

Interesting. What I'm guessing is that the game keeps track of what online players are doing even when you are playing in Single Player. Possibly to ease the transition between the two? Like, if you build a city in SP, but want to use it in MP, it might expedite the process.

It's a veritable pre-E3 screenshot extravaganza! Well, sort of. A bit. Three new screenshots have been released ahead of the event, at which we will no doubt be treated to fresh video footage and demos.

Spoilered due to size:

industrial_city.jpg

sims_fight_fires.jpg

university_city.jpg

Well, it's certainly a very pretty game, and the style of the city layouts seems to be reminiscent of The Sims 3 and its expansions' neighbourhoods (perhaps indicating an SC4-style link-up)

That's looking really good so far. I can't wait to see it with more finalized lighting.

That is really nice looking. On the other hand, if I must be online to play at all - no point in getting it. My internet has gotten rather erratic lately - dropping out a weird times - so even though I have the best available locally, EA's decision will prevent me from purchasing a game that I would probably not have ever played online in the first place, simply because I'd keep getting kicked out of it.

Pity that, I loved SimCity through SimCity 4.

• 4 months later...

New video, everybody!

There go weeks of my life down the time drain that is Sim City.

Dammit.

I'm so going to plop my waste facilities next to the border with the next town over.

• Thumbs Up 5

It would be really really nice if the final version of the game is set up so that driveways, parking lot entrances etc, don't extent into the sidewalk of the road they're suppose to be connected to, but rather the connected road tile is altered so that it actually looks like it connects to said driveway. It's a little thing that has bothered me for a long time.

Man, this looks real good. Unfortunately, like Thrippa, my connection isn't very good, so the whole "always online" thing would be pretty shitty for me. Add in the fact that I'd have to play this on Origin, aaaaand... I can't see myself buying this. :(

• 3 weeks later...

Maxis did a live broadcast. They showed off more gameplay and answered questions. They also noted that you will still get everything out of the game if you want to play solo.

This game is looking so good. I don't why someone asked if there was water in the game though...

There is also a Disaster trailer that is pretty funny.

"FORE!" *BOOOOM!*

Edited by PeanutButterDimond
  • Thumbs Up 1

I really hope that disaster trailer isn't indicative of the finished product. I'm going to expect a lot more than simply blank tiles following an earthquake or meteor strike; rubble mounds, ruined looking roads, craters/fault lines etc.

• 3 months later...

Bit of a bump. But it looks like EA is at it again.

The beta is out.... would you like to see one of the terms and conditions that can be found in the beta?

“If you know about a Bug or have heard about a Bug and fail to report the Bug to EA, we reserve the right to treat you no differently from someone who abuses the Bug. You acknowledge that EA reserve the right to lock anyone caught abusing a Bug out of all EA products.”

So let me see if I understand this... say I find out about a bug, from a source even outside the game, I don't report it, but EA somehow find out I know... I'll get banned from playing their game, even if I don't use it?

It then gets better.

One person who played on the Beta posted discovered that after 3 hours of not being able to connect to the EA servers, he posted his feedback on the EA forums... which resulted in him being banned from the forums for absolutely no reason.

• Thumbs Up 3

I didn't expect that... Though didn't they win the "Worst company of 2012" award? Either way, they should be nominated for the 2013 award too after that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T65SRjamShw

I got the BETA. It's alright. It's not as good as I was expecting it to be.

Edited by Stritix

Seeing as both topics discuss the next Sim City game and its supposed Internet Connectivity requirement both, I feel that the discussion at hand will benefit from a topic merge.

Edited by Diz
Topic Merge: EA's next victim: SimCity -> Sim City 5 apparently coming in 2013

As evil as EA is, not even they have the manpower to through and strike every single person who didn't report every known bug. I'd say it's in the event someone encounters a huge bug, it gets on sites like Kotaku, and then EA has to do damage control on their product launching in just a couple months, as opposed to the person just reporting it to EA and EA only.

• 1 month later...

Hey good news! The game came out today...

The bad news?

Virtually nobody can play it. Why? Because EA's servers are down and... yup... this means the single player mode won't work... check this out!

QOzldBt.jpg

untitled-17mucm.gif

Thats what happens.

• Thumbs Up 3

untitled-17mucm.gif

Thats what happens.

WELCOME TO THE FUTURE OF GAMING

• Chuckle 1

WELCOME TO THE FUTURE OF GAMING

Technically... the future of gaming started when Diablo 3 was launched and this very same thing happened.

Technically... the future of gaming started when Diablo 3 was launched and this very same thing happened.

'Future comes a bit earlier than I remember it.

Edited by Sixth-Rate Soma

We have another prediction of the future.

wUT27Hh.png

Anyone want to take a guess as to which IP EA is going to kill next? I think Command and Conquer is a likely candidate.

But for real, how many IP's have EA destroyed this generation through their shockingly poor service decisions alone? It's quite amazing just how many titles have died because of EA and their business model.

• Thumbs Up 7

If this is what the future of singleplayer games looks like under the jackboot of EA, then I'm going to have to avoid all of their products from now on.

Singleplayer gaming should always have the option to be divorced from the online sphere. I should not be forced to endure this kind of shit.

Not everything needs to be fucking online.

• Thumbs Up 1

If this is what the future of singleplayer games looks like under the jackboot of EA, then I'm going to have to avoid all of their products from now on.

Singleplayer gaming should always have the option to be divorced from the online sphere. I should not be forced to endure this kind of shit.

Not everything needs to be fucking online.

It very probably will be. EA recently made a statement about putting microtransactions in all of their games. But to be fair, today they "clarified" their statement and now they're just "putting in-house credit card processing and download support" in all of their games. I really don't know what to make of that though; it sounds like they're saying the same thing with different words.

Either way, I'm boycotting all of their games anyway because I am just sick of their bullshit in general, like their underhanded marketing tactics and banning of forum users for no reason (that's not the first time their forum staff have done retarded stuff, either. I remember when someone created a thread about in-game VOIP in BF3 and it was deleted without an explanation multiple times). Not to mention them destroying great IPs, like this one.

Wow.... wow. wow... wow.... WOOOOOOW!

How to destroy another players city.

Step 1: Go into online mode.

Step 2: Go to a random city.

Step 3: Select 'Parks'

Step 4: Place them on his residential areas.

You have now vapourised the entire population of that city. Effectively destroying it. Should point out, it's not known yet if this sync's to the players city due to the fact nobody can test it due to the game booting people off every few moments.

Amazon Customer review score = 1.5 out of 5.

And on Metacritic....

Colonial Marines user review score = 3.5

Sim City 2013 user review score = 2.5

Aliens it is then.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • My Emmerdoods 1

Wow.... wow. wow... wow.... WOOOOOOW!

How to destroy another players city.

Step 1: Go into online mode.

Step 2: Go to a random city.

Step 3: Select 'Parks'

Step 4: Place them on his residential areas.

You have now vapourised the entire population of that city. Effectively destroying it. Should point out, it's not known yet if this sync's to the players city due to the fact nobody can test it due to the game booting people off every few moments.

Wait, what? Random people can edit your city?

EDIT: Oh, maybe it doesn't actually change the other city, as you said.

Edited by Frogging101