Awoo.

Dr. Eggman's Eggsceptionally Questionable Mechs

Nintendoga

Can we do ones from the TV shows?

NO, You Will NOT ruin my thread by doing that, UNDERSTAND?

naw go on ahead, do whatever you want.

Yo, Nintendoga, would it still be cool if I covered the Eggmechs from Sonic Advance?

Yo, Nintendoga, would it still be cool if I covered the Eggmechs from Sonic Advance?

Go on ahead. Anyone can do whatever one they want, they don't have to wait for me.

Oh btw, if you're going to do something, announce it in a post before you do it. So that here's less confusion on who did what.

Edited by Nintendoga

It even starts developing a mind of its own, almost totally ignoring Eggman while it beats Sonic into a little blue pulp.

It was alright until that part. Even the self-manned machines turn on him. Pathetic. Just one of X's many not Chris-related problems.

He completes him <3.

Fortunately for Robotnik, I happen to despise Foe Yay.

Edited by Dr. Crusher

It was alright until that part. Even the self-manned machines turn on him. Pathetic. Just one of X's many not Chris-related problems.

It was basically doing what Eggman was going to do himself.

Fortunately for Robotnik, I happen to despise Foe Yay.

Pfft. Foe yay is the best type of the shipping.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Egg Hawk, Egg Albatross...if there's ever an Egg Swallow, my mind will be blown. *coughjetwaveandstormcough*

All of those were piloted by Eggman, on the Egg-hawk and Egg-albatross the cockpit was on the 'head' part of the bird shape and in Egg Emperor It was right inside the 'belly' part of his likeness.
That wasn't actually Eggman, tho'.

I really liked this topic, very well written and imaginative.

Son1_12.gif

But seriously, you call THIS easy? OHOHO, even today I still have troubles with this boss unsure.png It's a simple machine, but is mean!

Edited by Jango

Love this thread it's really well done and well written and I agree on the Egg Viper's Threat level.Though I find Eggman hilarious I didn't when I was 5 or 6 when I first encountered him, I would (somewhat) joyfully go through the Green Grove Zones and meet the Eggman,the first time I nearly had a panic attack,the second, time I freaked and gotta the hell outta of there and this was just seeing his eggmobile putting the spike down in Sonic 3D dry.png .

There was some stuff about the Eggman battles in Sonic 4 Episode 2 that I enjoyed. I'll put them in a spoiler tag, just in case...

I could be wrong in this, but with the way it looked. The first Eggman battle kinda makes you think your facing a remake of this Sonic 2 boss.

Aquatic_Ruin_Boss.png

Only for him to turn around and go mental with this thing...

Serpentleafy.jpg

Also the design of his final boss machine really creeps me out.

Egg_Heart_final_boss_of_episode_2_after_this_game_fudge_that_hedgehog.jpg

It's also interesting or annoying, how it's not really made any easier in beating these boss fights by turning super. In fact, to get the achievement/trophy of beating all bosses as Super Sonic, is quite tricky.

I've always felt that a lot of the mechs called "exceptionally questionable" in this thread were actually created for other more practical purposes and not for fighting - but Eggman was forced to improvise on a whim

For example,

The Wrecking Ball from Green Hill could have been designed to help Eggman knock down existing structures to build his own new ones

The Water thing in Chemical Plant could have been designed to do things with the chemicals in the chemical plant

All the different drill Eggmobiles could have been for actual drilling, mining, burrowing rather than fighting

While some others were just Eggman again being caught off guard like before but using a built in ability of the Eggmobile to take advantage of the environment (for ex. Marble Zone's fire bomber, Spring Yard's spike, Star Light Zone's mine bomber, etc) with the whole thing being less planning in advance and more by the seat of his pants planning - Eggman does after all continually underestimate Sonic because of his supersized ego making him think he cannot possibly lose (despite how often he has lost in the past)

Labyrinth Zone is just Eggman being so clearly caught off guard that I feel like it bolsters this idea

Obviously though this does not apply to all of the questionable mechs... really it starts getting difficult during some of Sonic 2 and most of Sonic 3 & Knuckles (really can't find any that fit in Sonic3&K outside of the Mushroom Hill boss where Eggman was clearly caught off guard again doing something else with a satellite transmitter of some sort and the flames were just the exhaust of the mobile)

In defense of the Hot Mobile from Lava Reef... the first part with the missiles destroying the platforms was forgotten completely - that was clearly the Plan A with this machine and the next part being Plan B

Edited by Darth InVaders
  • Thumbs Up 7

I was waiting for a silly final battle a la Sonic 3 after the final boss for some reason. Not like Doomsday, I mean when the bridge starts collapsing and Eggman takes off with the Master Emerald on his Egg-Mobile.

• 2 weeks later...

Well nothing else better to do on a Friday night, so I might as well bump this with a short post,

The real reason I didn't finish Sonic 2 (GG) is because almost none of the bosses are piloted by Eggman, except for the final boss.

Crystal Egg Boss

CrystalEggBoss.png

Never got to the end of Sonic 2, so uh what can I say? The design at a glance looks complex, but from an all around analysis, it's a boss that throws flower shaped attacks at you while both of you are going through the transport chutes. Eggman has no protection though, which really makes me wonder just why even though he can afford giant bases and tons of technological advancements, he can't get a strong glass window to protect himself with. Game Logic.

Threat Level: 3/10

Overall: Cool design and I like the concept and all, but as a finale type of boss it is quite lacking.

Oh and here's the only Eggman mech in Sonic Chaos

Laser Walker

LaserWalkerboss.png

As per finale boss in the GG games, Eggman gets in his pre-SA2 walker, and walks around with a tiny shield (still a shield none the less) while shooting at Sonic with lasers. It's a good concept, but the way he designed the boss was destined for trouble. He really should have made the boss bigger and more destructive or chaotic.

SonicChaosLastBoss.png

Also before flying away in most Sonic games after you beat the final boss, this time Eggman actually tries to ram into you, like a suicide kamikaze attack. It's desperate times for the Doctor so he'll take what he can get, a big ol' clobbering of defeat!

Threat Level (1st half): 3/10 Not too bad, but you may want to stay on your toes every now and then. As for the last part, you just jump and hit him.

Overall: This boss actually takes 16 hits to beat. I like that Eggman went with a more higher budget type of steel. Maybe that's why the boss is small, because he had no money left.

(PS. Aye Komodin you still doing Sonic Advance?)

Edited by Nintendoga

• 2 weeks later...

I like how all of eggman's mechs are all different in some odd way, but i don't like his "catchphrases" that he says everytime he attacks in SA1 and up. most of the time all i want to say to Baldy McNosehair is "SHUT UP!!!"

Edited by Shaderp

I like how all of eggman's mechs are all different in some odd way, but i don't like his "catchphrases" that he says everytime he attacks in SA1 and up. most of the time all i want to say to Baldy McNosehair is "SHUT UP!!!"

*Gasp*, you mean you hate "Get a load of this!"?

Well nothing else better to do on a Friday night, so I might as well bump this with a short post,

The real reason I didn't finish Sonic 2 (GG) is because almost none of the bosses are piloted by Eggman, except for the final boss.

Crystal Egg Boss

CrystalEggBoss.png

Never got to the end of Sonic 2, so uh what can I say? The design at a glance looks complex, but from an all around analysis, it's a boss that throws flower shaped attacks at you while both of you are going through the transport chutes. Eggman has no protection though, which really makes me wonder just why even though he can afford giant bases and tons of technological advancements, he can't get a strong glass window to protect himself with. Game Logic.

Overall: Cool design and I like the concept and all, but as a finale type of boss it is quite lacking.

Gotta disagree with you on that one. That boss is hard as balls, because every single time you leave the safety of the shutes and enter the central area, or "kill-zone" you have to get your timing exactly right. Because he doesn't just have flower bullets at his disposal, but also an electric curtain that covers the entire square area. There are no rings around, so you mess up the timing just once and you're dead.

Or maybe it's just my childhood memories of finally getting to that boss and getting a Game Over that haunts me to this day.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

Egg_Dealer.jpg

The EGG Dealer

This is probably the dumbest of all Eggman's inventions that I've destroyed over the years.

It has an attack...THAT HITS ITSELF!

For crying out loud... sonic_facepalm_icon_by_superkingjingaling-d59m8s2.png

Edited by SuperKing

• 4 weeks later...

If it's not too much trouble to bump this great thread, I'd like to save Mr. Nintendoga the trouble and cover how the egg-piloted bosses fare in the Advance and Rush titles, since I believe those ones have yet to be covered. I'll put them in spoiler tags for the length's sake. And I was going to add images, but you know, limits and all that.

So for now, here's the first two Advances.

---Sonic Advance: The Phantom Sonic the Hedgehog 4---

Name: Egg Hammertank

A.K.A.: Car with Drill on Front BUT WITH A HAMMER!

Description: That's not a joke. This vehicle really does just go back and forth like it's Emerald Hill predecessor from ten years past. Except, of course, with a hammer continuously smashing down on you instead of a small drill. Which is made hilarious when the actual Car with Drill on Front shows up later on.

Thoughts: Well, with that attack set, it was hardly going to be the best. Still, it does have a rather long attack range, so that's something I suppose.

Name: Egg Press

A.K.A.: The gimped tiddle-coloured successor of Sleeping Egg Zone.

Description: Like it's aforementioned older brother, he does nothing but jump up and down, hoping to create P.E.T.A. Pancakes Zone. Sadly, it lacks his older bro's ability to shoot small projectiles, so it's a step down.

Thoughts: Again, not the best around, even when not compared to the projectile version. But it's lights look like the yin-yang symbol from afar, so that's funny.

Name: Egg Ball

A.K.A.: John & Thomas

Description: The left ball is Robotnik's very own one. It's very sensitive and would be greatly damaged if you were to hit it. So because you're a chaotic rebel like Sonic, you must. But the other ball is more rough, and has a tough veteran exterior, so it must be avoided before it does yours in. They fly all over the place in certain designated patterns, sometimes not the same route together, and they will go into overdrive eventually, so you must remain vigilent if you want to bust these balls.

Thoughts: The balls can catch you off guard more than once. Oh, and this boss is pretty risky too I reckon.

Threat Level: 5/10, 7/10 with Amy

Name: Egg Spider

A.K.A.: It's more of an Egg Hanger. It doesn't even have six extra appendages.

Description: A classic example of not so much the boss itself being the danger as it is the environment. So he's drilling his way through the rocky ceiling, seeming innocuous enough with his illegal mining ways. But it turns out his true nature isn't so humble, for his drilling is sending down from the icy heavens a conveniently platform-shaped stalactite or two in a bid to shank you. Also, you're underwater, so that's tish too.

Thoughts: I probably just suck (admittedly I've only played her once in Advance 1, and it was a speedrun), but this one was terrible with Amy for me. Otherwise, the combination of water and lotsa stalactites can be troublesome, but nothing too difficult.

Threat Level: 4/10, 8/10 with Amy

Name: Egg Snake

A.K.A.: Ivo Robotnik and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamzone.

Description: You're actually standing on the snake, but Robotnik's got his shit together. He'll lure you into a false sense of security by taking it slow, only firing a moderately-sized projectle now and then. You go ahead and bounce about on the snake to turn his one eye around and unleash fury upon it, but then ZOOM. Suddenly he's side-stepping faster than an actual Sidestepper (even the blue ones!), and firing more projectiles than you can try to shake a PlayStation Move at.

Thoughts: It's still easy to send him packing, but it's a decent enough challenge for the third-last proper boss (not counting the revisited Checker Wrecker and Car with Drill on Front). But again, Amy's lack of an immediate spinning jump makes her round a little harder. Still, the craft clearly has a load of spikes... couldn't they have been fitted on the entire Egg Snake? I mean, the entrance to this boss is by falling...

Threat Level: 6/10, 8/10 with Amy

Name: Egg X

A.K.A.: The GOTTA GO FASTER FASTER GOTTA GO FASTER Mobile

Description: This boss just does not want you to have your way, but the problem with this is that he can't stop changing his mind on how he wants to end you. You have a little ball flying out at you, and then you have a laser, and then another flying ball, and then the laser again, and then ZOOM, and then a claw, and then ZOOM, and then ZOOM again, and then the laser again, and then a similar ball that doesn't bounce quite as high, and then ZOOM, and then the claw, and then the longer loading claw, and then the laser again...

Thoughts: It may not be a colossus like the Death Egg Robot or Great Eggman Robo, but the Egg X proves to be surprisingly tricky for such a small chap. Sort of like a not-rubbish Egg Dealer, it's attacks seem to be rather random, so you'll surely be on your toes at all times. Even dodging his zooming can be hard. So even if it's not the hardest, the classic lesson goes: size doesn't matter.

Threat Level: 7/10

Made-Up Name: Egg Robo X

A.K.A.: The Death Egg Robot if it looked more like an shanked Egg Robo and wasn't actually on the Death Egg and shit.

Description: You're flying as Super Sonic. The Egg Robo X fires a bunch of lasers and capsules. You have to dodge debris.

...That's pretty much it, really.

Thoughts: Obvious weakpoint, and it takes ages doing the Temper Tantrum Slam Attack before firing his lasers, so you've probably already got his nose about four or five times. The capsules are probably the most annoying part of the whole deal, and even then, you can simply dash into those.

Threat Level: 4/10

---Sonic Advance 2: Attack of the Boosts---

Name: Egg Hammertank II

A.K.A.: The Egg Clenched Fist.

Description: Just like it's Neo Green Hill predecessor, only you and him are on the run, and it comes with a fist that only serves to crush the windpipes of innocent little rabbits, and never gets used again.

Thoughts: Again, just like the original one. It can change it's length of smash between long and short slams, but there's not much else to it.

Name: Egg Bomber

A.K.A.: The Too Many Jokes I'd Rather Not Make Because I'm Not Like That Mobile.

Description: Does whatever a tank can, if it ran on Diet Coke. So you get cannonballs, but they end up going over the enemy's head. The cannon is the vulnerable part, and when that's destroyed, the tank's sadness must have rendered it's emotion-powered shield useless or something, because the whole tank is suddenly vulnerable now.

Thoughts: Fairly moderate. Not hard by any means, but it's trigger happy enough.

Name: Egg Totem

A.K.A.: The Egg Kebab

Description: Despite Music Plant possibly bring the single brightest zone in all of Sonidom, Robotnik has decided to use that little boffin Tails as the centerpiece for his latest Furry Headlight project. But first he must best you through the median of utilising a spiked disk times three. Just like the Egg Snake, he didn't take into account the possibility of putting some spikes on the flat ends of the things. Oh well, no one's perfect.

Thoughts: Even with those occasional projectiles, it's nothing worth fretting about. Although there are a few occasions in which the game forces you to mess up your jump and hit the spikes.

Name: Aero Egg

A.K.A.: The Redundantly-Named-Since-Many-Eggman-Bosses-Are-Perfectly-Capable-of-Flying Mobile

Description: Pretty simple stuff. A standard ship capable of being more blitzkrieg than the best of them. But what's this? A conveniently platform-shaped attachment is there from behind i-...oh, balls, it's not conveniently platform-shaped. It is a platform. For the love of...

Thoughts: Despite the Soleanna Captain-worthy levels of wasting his own time, it's still a toughie if you're not quick, especially in later stages when he abandons gameplay generosity and just spams the bombs.

Threat Level: 5/10

Name: Egg Saucer

A.K.A.: Ivo Robotnik and the Renegade Cheating Bastard

Description: Now here's an abstract concept. A gigantic wheel, never ending it's spinning run, equipped with Robotnik's cockpit, a little laser cannon, and a giga-sized fist-to-arm attachment. As you'd expect, aside from the occasional laser attack, it's main purpose is to slam you, slap you, slam-slap you, and slap-slam you, though not necessarily in that order. This would be threatening enough on it's own, but there's one other, most despicable trick the doctor has up it's sleeve, through his manipulating of the game's designers...

Thoughts: You die instantly. You might get lucky on occasion, but more often than not, if that fist comes crashing down on you - even when you have enough rings to make Don King jealous - you'll still get the one life lost treatment, and there's nothing you can do about it (except for load stating on emulators). The laser thankfully isn't an instant kill (...I think), but that too is ferocious, as it's used more and more commonly as the fight rages on. So whether it's Doc Egg himself or the apparently "primitive" Knuckles manning the thing, it won't matter because you'll be too busy re-evaluating the meaning of life as you angst-asphyxiate to death, the last image planted in your head before the loss of consciousness being that of the comical whoops-a-dayzee tune of the Game Over screen. Presumably.

Threat Level: 10/10

Name: Egg-Go-Round

A.K.A.: Platforming As You Truly Imagined It

Description: Robotnik's started to lampshade his own misfortune in indirectly creating his own platforms for Sonic, because that's the whole gimmick here. Four platforms, all swinging idly from side to side like they just don't care, so let's get cracking and bring this fight to a cl-haha just kidding, spike to the derriere. Okay, so the gray ones must be the safe ones I take i-oh dammit I fell victim to their spectacular spinning ways. And now I've gotten myself shot. I am a fool.

Thoughts: It's... I don't know how to explain this one... it's not really hard in actual difficulty, more like hard in simply being a bit of an annoyance. So, not that hard then. Basically, yeah.

Threat Level: 6/10

Name: Egg Frog

A.K.A.: More like Egg Spider(-But-Not-Really-a-Spider) II, am I right or am I correct?

Description: As you're vaguely reminded a little if only slightly of Adventure 1's Egg Walker, chances are you've already been hit when he decided to go off-screen, passing you by and then clinging to the walls, because he's a bit shy and doesn't like being looked at when he's half-way through his climbing. Then it goes to hell when you stupidly forget you had to press up/down to dodge the long-span fire blast. I did that once. It got me a game over. It was fun.

Thoughts: But really, it's nothing too hair-ripping. It's far from laughable to be sure, and there doesn't seem to be any concepts here that don't make logical sense in terms of enemy-eliminating such as the Aero Egg's platform, but it should get scrapped in no time.

Made-Up Name: Egg Robo XX

A.K.A.: Egg Robo XY

Description: This fellow looks like the similarly-unoriginally-named-by-oneself Egg Robo X from the previous game, except far bigger (and not shanked). Despite the intimidating size, it's only got two attacks; a laser from the eyes, and detachable claws ala the Death Egg Robot, only these ones can do backflips. The main trouble here is the arena. Those platforms are the key to beating Robotnik (unless you're Tails or Cream or... probably everyone except Sonic, really), but stay too long and it's stabby stabby time with Mr. Ceiling Spikes.

Thoughts: I thought the Egg X was more difficult than this one. Unless you royally screw up, the only legitimate concern is timing your platform jumping in later segments when the Robo's eyes spam the lasers more frequently.

Made-Up Name: Egg Shrimp

A.K.A.: The Reverse Adoption Mobile

Description: Let's put whatever he had in mind for his Vanilla-snatching ways aside (or rather, forever) and focus solely on Robotnik's mech for the time being. It's smaller than the Egg Robo XX, and it's rarely often a shrimp poses as a(n extra) final boss, but it's got quite the plethora of attacks, more than the Robo anyway. Many are of the projectile spamming variety, but there's also the unbeknownest-to-be-his-own-downfall missiles and ice lasers to watch out for. And later, it rolls. And it's far more stylish than yours, Sonic.

Thoughts: Far better than the laughable Egg Robo X from Advance 1 in terms of extra bosses. The ice laser is definitely the most bothersome part of the whole routine, so I guess it really is BOOST TO WIN if you want to live.

Threat Level: 8/10

EDIT: Oh, balls. I completely forgot Komodin wanted to cover these ones. Disregard these substitutes then, sorry chap.

Edited by Dr. Crusher
  • Thumbs Up 2

If anything Ice Mountain's boss is actually EASIER as Amy - firstly you have the hammer jump to get out of the water very quickly and easily, and secondly you've got the mid air hammer attack, which means you don't even need the stalactites to reach the Eggmobile.

In retrospect, I admit I just happened to fail a bit when controlling Amy. So it's mostly my own personal experiences I based my own unrealistic ratings on.

EDIT: Oh, balls. I completely forgot Komodin wanted to cover these ones. Disregard these substitutes then, sorry chap.

Eh, it's cool. Since I don't wish to sully what you've already covered, I'll just cover Sonic Advance 3 later.

Now, does Ultimate Gemerl count as an Eggman mech...?