Awoo.

The Walking Thread (The Walking Dead)

vercetti2021

Ever seen it on AMC on sundays? Awesome show. If you caught last nights episode, did it shock you like it did with me? Well for those who don't know what it is, its about a post apocalyptic world now overrun by the dead or zombies to be more specific, they are called walkers in the show.

It revolves around a group of survivors that try to find a new life in this world. It is also based on the comic but it doesn't follow it directly. I would check it out if you haven't seen it yet, its on AMC in America. If you live somewhere else in the world then i would check out netflix for season 1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsArma09dZo

• Thumbs Up 3

I hear everyone (friends, family, etc) talk about this show. Even some people who I thought hated this kinda of stuff.

I want to watch it to see what the hype is about, but I want to start from Season 1, (which I heard they did an entire airing of 2 weeks ago, of course I would miss it).

I hear everyone (friends, family, etc) talk about this show. Even some people who I thought hated this kinda of stuff.

I want to watch it to see what the hype is about, but I want to start from Season 1, (which I heard they did an entire airing of 2 weeks ago, of course I would miss it).

I actually recently marathon'd the whole show. I originally only watched episodes 1 and 2 and loved it but for some reason never continued, but just last week I sat down and over the course of two days watched all the way up to Season 2 episode 9 (the newest episode at the time).

I will have to say I really loved it. I can see the one big complaint people would have with this series, and that would be the slow first-half of Season 2. If I watched it weekly as opposed to marathoning it, I could see it as really dragging on. However, I thought the pay-off for that plot arch was fantastic. I should of seen the twist coming, but I didn't and I will admit the twist hit me harder than I thought it would. Luckily after the dragged-out arch for the first half of Season 2 (with the fantastic ending which redeemed it in my eyes, personally), the series has really been picking up and has caught a fantastic stride of intense action sequences and dark drama. I haven't watched the newest episode yet, but I think I should go do so now.

What I will say is that people going in need to realize it's a mixture between a cinematic zombie television series and a dark drama, which have equal parts in the show. If you're going in for straight-in Zombie action, you might be disappointed that there is so much drama in the series. If you're in it for both though, it really is a fantastic series that pulls both of it's elements excellently with a near-perfect blend. There are a few flaws here and there, but I think it really does what it's trying to do extremely well and I'm happy it's seeing success and hope the series continues. It's literally one of the only things on Television currently that really interests me.

Edited by Agent York
  • Thumbs Up 1

After so much talk from all my friends, I finally sat down with them and checked out an episode yesterday, though it was only the second one. They briefly and quickly explained the first one to me so I wouldn't be confused. Like I said, I only saw one episode, but from that one, I can tell that this show is just as great as people make it out to be. I've been looking forward to checking out more, but I haven't had the time. Besides, season 2 is almost over and to try to catch up now means I'd basically end up watching them all once season 2 finishes, but I will get around to it.

I never got around to The Walking Dead until recently, but I've always loved the show that comes right after it, called, Hell on Wheels. It's a Western, but it's always in the shadow of The Walking Dead, unfortunately, so not as many people talk about it.

Oh hell yes. Addicted to this show, thanks to my friends. Aside from S2 being maybe a little too slow-paced, I pretty much love this show so much. Gonna have to track down the comics when i get the chance of course

this week's ep pissed me off though, poor Dale, fucking Carl, annoying-ass kid.

Loved Season 1, but unfortunately non-cable channels don't seem to have Season 2 here yet by the looks of things... I could just download it but I like watching stuff on TV. Even if it means having advert breaks I prefer to have a schedule for watching stuff.

Was kind of sad to see Season 2 have so many episodes, worried it would become slow-paced. 8C Well, I'll see whenever it appears conveniently.

Loved Season 1, but unfortunately non-cable channels don't seem to have Season 2 here yet by the looks of things... I could just download it but I like watching stuff on TV. Even if it means having advert breaks I prefer to have a schedule for watching stuff.

Was kind of sad to see Season 2 have so many episodes, worried it would become slow-paced. 8C Well, I'll see whenever it appears conveniently.

If you have netflix. I would wait until at least until they start putting the second season up. Or check local listings in the UK. Or find streams or torrents of the second season.

• 1 year later...

I presume this can be used for comic and TV talk alike, yes? If it's just for the TV show I would request moderators change the title to "AMC's the Walking Dead."

Anyway, here we go.

Show:

So psyched to see what comes in October. Season 3 was really intense, and it was incredible to see all the betrayal and emotions here. I like how Merle, such a total scumbag, finally found redemption at the cost of his life. It was also a great twist on the comics how instead of the prison group getting massacred, Woodbury was utterly destroyed instead. I'm really interested to see what the Governor will do next, though my assumption is he's going to hook up with Randal's group (they were said to be "well armed," tank anyone?) and somehow find himself into a leadership position there. If Philip's anything like his comic counterpart, he's good at rising through the ranks and making himself leader. He's not done yet, no way in Hell.

It's kind of interesting they killed off Andrea. While I understand Daryl kind of fills the role of sharpshooter, the comics emphasise she was a key part of the group's success. So it'll be interesting to see how they get by without her in the show.

Also digging the conflict between Carl and Rick, something the comics didn't have.

Comic:

Just finished 109.

That last part... oh man. The fact Kal betrayed Jesus to Negan is going to make these next five issues of the volume really intense, I think. We have Dwight plotting against Negan, and now we have Kal revealing to Negan that all these people are plotting against him. There's so much intrigue... it's going to be one hell of a war, so convoluted even Sun Tzu would have a field day trying to make sense of this mess. Then you have that one guy plotting against Rick in Alexandria... there's so much betrayal that politics is going to be insane. What was once Georgia's shaping up to look like post-2003 Iraq, really darn fast.

• 5 months later...

On comic developments:

Kirkman, you mastermind, you did it again. Made it look like there’d be a HUGE crisis… and then diffused it with but a few pages. You are, as always, hilariously trollish with your stories.

Guy planning to overthrow Rick? Negan guts him.

Guy planning to spill secrets to Negan? Guy is talked out of it.

Now I really need to get the newer issues in particular… they finally decided to stir the pot with Negan, which makes me wonder how this will go.

On Season 4:

Well, that was certainly an interesting development!

I predicted the boyfriend’s death from a mile away the moment he said “Aren’t you going to say goodbye?” You can tell Kirkman’s only in an advisory capacity here with how predictable some of the plot elements are. Likewise I saw the "lady's husband is a walker" thing coming fairly quickly. I'm gonna be honest, the "I couldn't kill them so I kept them around" device is, well, overused. It might be somewhat realistic but it doesn't make for good entertainment if it gets stale.

Wonderful cliffhanger as always with the kid coming back as a zombie with a whole cell block full of other survivors. Looks like the bulk of the survivors will die next episode from the previews; they may have survived the Governor much better than their comic counterparts, but it’s obvious it was just a reprieve. You can’t grow a large group without an equally-large culling; that’s the rule of the Walking Dead for you.

Edited by Ogil.exe Maurice

Alas they only just finished Season 3 on poor people TV here in the UK, but I did enjoy it.  Season 2 was really blegh and drawn out and full of the characters being absolute idiots making a lot of deaths frustrating, but Season 3 for the most part avoided that and got me very engaged in the story again (though the finale was weak, penultimate ep was brilliant though).  Alas it'll prolly be a year or so til I get to see Season 4 coz I can't be arsed with downloading it etc so my place in discussion ends here.

Well, that was certainly an interesting development!

I predicted the boyfriend’s death from a mile away the moment he said “Aren’t you going to say goodbye?” You can tell Kirkman’s only in an advisory capacity here with how predictable some of the plot elements are. Likewise I saw the "lady's husband is a walker" thing coming fairly quickly. I'm gonna be honest, the "I couldn't kill them so I kept them around" device is, well, overused. It might be somewhat realistic but it doesn't make for good entertainment if it gets stale.

Wonderful cliffhanger as always with the kid coming back as a zombie with a whole cell block full of other survivors. Looks like the bulk of the survivors will die next episode from the previews; they may have survived the Governor much better than their comic counterparts, but it’s obvious it was just a reprieve. You can’t grow a large group without an equally-large culling; that’s the rule of the Walking Dead for you.

At least they tried to make these characters likeable unlike the comics where you'd have a character with one-two lines and you just knew that he/she is going to die.

CGI in this episode was TERRIBLE. Seriously CGI shouldn't be used in TV shows. At least not to that degree. It almost always ends up looking hilarious. That's my only complaint about this episode though. I expect a good season.

*Clicks

So disappointed...

I genuinely thought this was about walking.

I like walking.

Just saying.

a_8247df08.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

• 4 weeks later...

Positively stoked to see what the next episode is after seeing tonight’s!

My Mom was getting really frustrated with the characters, and I don’t blame her. They keep leaving cell doors open despite the fact people are dying left and right. They talk to each other rather than just nail a recently-deceased person in the head. They insist on not impaling a person’s head post-mortem in front of people despite the fact it’s a zombie apocalypse where everyone should be used to that by now.

The little girl is revealing herself to be all kinds of creepy. She was just rubbing her boot in the pool of blood… between her likely feeding the walkers mice and all her other comments, I’m seeing her getting ready to do something crazy.

End of the episode was a wonderful cliffhanger. My Mom thought Daryl was going to find out about Carol and the episode would end with he and Rick about to go at it, but nope, we got this ending instead. As soon as I heard the Pulse playing in the background (which played during the assaults on Woodbury and on the prison), I knew who was going to show up. Neat to see the Governor back in action!

I just ponder what his plan is. It doesn’t look like he’s assembled an army… but it kind of looked from season previews that they’d have to flee the prison. The walkers breaking through the fence is making that look more plausible. With herds of thousands of walkers (the one at the college was 7000 strong) now a regular thing, I wouldn’t be surprised if the Governor finds a way to lead one of them to the prison to break down the walls.

Edited by Ogilvie

• 2 weeks later...

Dayum, that episode was the best one so far!

I loved the Governor in this episode. All the interactions with the family were more emotional than all the episodes from this season combined and that's coming from a guy that wanted Brian dead in S3.

I still don't quite get him though. Is he trying to forget his past and change? Or is he going to turn into an complete asshat later? I hope he's going to do the first.

I loved the Governor in this episode. All the interactions with the family were more emotional than all the episodes from this season combined and that's coming from a guy that wanted Brian dead in S3.

I still don't quite get him though. Is he trying to forget his past and change? Or is he going to turn into an complete asshat later? I hope he's going to do the first.

He went by Philip in Season 3, but this is probably all a reference to the comic book Governor; the comic variation of the character's birth name was Brian Blake, but he took the name Philip after his brother (named Philip) was killed.

Anyway, it really is an interesting shift in character. I think they want to highlight the Governor actually isn't a complete monster despite all the horrible things he does. Let us remember, he loved Penny more than anything and was devastated by her second death, and became obsessed with vengeance on Michonne. Heck, I think he might not have become so cold and ruthless towards Milton and Andrea if not for Michonne accelerating the Governor's spiral into insanity. He literally had nothing left besides vengeance after Michonne's actions, and would kill anyone who got in his way or would not help him.

I think finding this family has reawakened that kinder side of himself. It's easy to see how he reacts whenever the little girl's happiness is mentioned, and it looks like he decided that while he couldn't protect Penny he could still protect her. His burning of his family photo, I think, illustrates he wants to become a new man and take these people in as his family.

The source of conflict, I feel, will come from when he discovers Martinez' group. Martinez' group looks well-armed from the previews, and I can see the Governor struggling between trying to get rid of Martinez so he has a more professional force to take on the prison, versus remaining committed to his new family. The old life of vengeance and the new life of compassion could very possibly tear him apart.

Someone suggested that he might surprise us and actually go to the Prison to try and work something out with Rick's group (possibly against the Martinez threat). His turning around at the end of Episode 5 could very well have been him looking back at his family rather than any army. And the best part: Rick might very well arrange something. He was willing to cut Merle some slack, after all, why not the Governor? With the prison losing much of its manpower because of the recent plague, Rick can't really be picky about allies.

Speaking of Merle, the fact they turned him from this racist sociopath douche into a sympathetic character says that we could see something similar with the Governor. Rick is a fundamentally good person, and I can see him giving the Governor a second chance, though making it clear he'll kill the Governor in an instant if he suspects anything's up.

As a final note...

In the comic books, Lilly was the name of the character in the Governor's army who killed the Governor, whereas in this Lilly is the name of the Governor's new lover. Coincidence or...?

• Thumbs Up 1

Only one more episode left until the mid-season break!

Going to be frank. I’m rather disappointed they just set the Governor up as a straight-up murderer again. They really could have gone in a different direction, but just had him quickly usurp control of his new group, and he’s already planning an assault on the prison which will presumably slaughter everyone. Because being defeated twice would be, well, boring. Whatever happened to the new life thing he was going for? Did power corrupt him that quick?

This kind of makes me roll my eyes, actually. I had liked that the Governor got his ass whooped in this reality, and it seems kind of cheap he gets to just try again. While something similar had happened in the comic books (as memory serves he made a small attack, got routed, then returned with a much larger force), this just seems improbable, as he had used a single group in that rather than two.

Martinez accelerated the trend of how the characters of this show are increasingly striking me as too dumb to live. He knows the Governor’s a murderous sociopath, openly taunts him several times, and then goes out ALONE with him? How fucking stupid can you possibly be?

I’m really hoping they get creative with the mid-season finale. I had hoped they’d succeed in running away from the group, maybe even try to get closer to Rick’s group… it would have been more interesting than the angle they went for. To me, it just seems like they wanted to draw out the prison a bit more and then would drop the Governor like a proverbial nuke on them.

What about the unknown third group that raided the camp? I was almost positive they'd be antagonists as well, possibly related to the decapitated bodies... but it looks like they decided to downplay that in favor of making Philip the Big Bad. The group could very well be Negan's, I suppose.

In other news, looks like the lake is becoming his new head tank.

I'm starting to feel that maybe I should stick to the comic books...

• 3 weeks later...

I recently finished The Walking Dead Compendium 2 and it was much better than the first compendium. Michonne, Carl and Andrea really grew up on me.

Mid-season finale was amazing. I loved it.  Can't wait for Washington arc :D

I have a few thoughts on the Season 4 mid-season finale:

What the hell is the point in taking down the fences when there's tons of conveniently-located Walkers? They want the prison for its security, and they just tore down the fences. Even if they had won they'd have been majorly screwed. I'm of the opinion the Governor isn't charismatic so much as everyone he runs into is a complete moron. He shows incredible brutality with Hershel, and they still blindly follow him all except for one.

What was Lily's motive for shooting him in this timeline? In the comics, it was because the Governor had her shoot a baby... in this one, it seems rather forced. I presume she was upset because all the deaths at the prison being the result of his drawing first blood? I suppose another part of it would be that they were left alone at the camp and thus the daughter was easy prey.

I like how they don't confirm nor deny Judith's death. I'm pretty positive she did die though; children are an inconvenience in the live-action medium because they grow up so quickly. That's why they killed off Sophia, actually.

What I'm really interested in seeing is where all the groups went. We have the following groups of survivors:

Maggie, Sasha, Bob

Prison Bus

Carl, Rick, Michonne

Tyreese and kids

Lily

Tara

We know Eugene, Rosita and Abraham are making an appearance, but the group's so spread out this could go somewhere interesting...

• 1 month later...

Just finished reading issue 119.

I knew that Rick's war wasn't going to be perfect forever, given that the war with the Saviors won't conclude until Issue 126. Issues are being released biweekly so we won't be seeing an end to this war until March.

Negan made use of an excellent ploy with Holly, I think. I knew the moment she wasn't talking that she was a Walker, but it was a genius move on his part - the others have come to see him as a man of his word despite his brutality and psychosis, and he exploited that to full with this trick to get them to open the gates.

I can't wait to see how this turns out... if a horde of hundreds of walkers can't stop the Saviors, what can?

• 2 months later...

Only 2 more episodes to go and Season 4 is finished!

This episode was pretty powerful. I had an anticipation that Lizzie was going to kill Mika like happened in the comic books between Ben and Billy.

What was really powerful was what happened afterward. In the comic books, Carl kills Ben with pretty much no remorse. Carol clearly is tearing up as she shoots Lizzie, loving her more than anything but realizing she's too dangerous to be allowed to live.

What was even stronger was that, now that Carol's established she can kill people for the greater good, she finally confesses to Tyreese that she was Karen and David's killer. And Tyreese... despite visibly being upset... understands that Carol wasn't being malicious at all in both her motives or the way she carried it out. It says a lot for his character that he doesn't give in to the temptation to take revenge, rising above his emotions.

I'm interested to see how the rest of the Season goes.

I had a feeling what happened was gonna happen, since the show likes to adapt comic book plot elements with a twist.

I just didn't know if Carol would actually be able to bring herself to shoot Lizzie. She'd established that she can kill a person in their sleep... but what about a fully-awake child? You didn't know if she'd actually be able to pull the trigger or not.

I think doing it helped Tyreese understand Carol's perspective, though. She made sure Lizzie didn't even see it coming, so she felt no fear or despair. She even tried to make it so Lizzie would be nice and relaxed when it happened. Tyreese's largest concern was, accordingly, if Karen felt anything or saw it coming, and being told no seemed to help motivate him to forgive.

A fairly heart-wrenching episode overall.

That was easily the best episode in this season and probably my favourite episode so far. They actually made the Bill & Ben arc from comics BETTER by developing and exploring sisters' character. The writing and pacing was top notch too. I wish every episode was as good as this one.

Way to go The Walking Dead!

• 2 weeks later...

Season finale is tomorrow... in the meantime, someone did a rather humorous picture to commemorate it:

tumblr_n32muowL3d1sbuccdo1_1280.jpg

In addition, folks were looking at the portraits and an interesting pattern emerged. While not a literal portrait, it seems there might be some symbolism here...

BjlrfoqIQAAHjyT.jpg

Overall... I get the feeling we're gonna be left hanging tomorrow night.