Awoo.

Strangest thing(s) you found in a Sonic game?

MegaMan_EXE

Speaking of Sonic 2...

title1.gif

That sparkling star thing that flies across the screen. What exactly is that? Just a guess but the Sonic 2 Japanese manual says that a metallic object (Eggman) follows Sonic and the Tornado to Westside Island and lands on it. Maybe that star thing is that?

And why does Sonic sneeze in the intro of Sonic CD? If indeed, that's what he's doing

sneezesonic.png

• Thumbs Up 2

I thought he was just kind of shock of seeing little planet being mechanized by Robotnik, never thought of him as sneezing though ohmy.png

Which hilariously fails when you jump out of the loop biggrin.png

And then painfully subverted when you leap into a nearby set of spikes/enemy/bottomless pit/level hazard.

TrollFaceDancing.gif

• Thumbs Up 4

Iizuka did. He's also going to be at this summer sonic 2012, so you can ask him or somebody.

Yuji Uekawa wasn't involved in the character design for Heroes, so I guess the other designers weren't sure what to do with Rouge.

In Heroes they got rid of her womanly curves and made her body smaller. She looked really disproportional too. They did keep her breasts pronounced (so I don't know maybe they considered that an important feature of hers). Without her curves she just looked less sexy overall. Her Riders design was the worst offender of this. I guess they weren't sure what to do with her. But I think she's pretty okay now the way she was in Generations.

In Sonic X of all things ironically they weren't afraid to show off everything. Of all the characters in Sonic X that are drawn, Rouge is the only one that looks the closest to her original form in SA2.

Personally I always preffered how she looked in later games to how she looked in SA2, in SA2 she was wayyy too exaggerated, they broke the Sonic style in order to make her look as curvy as possible, the Sonic series is well known for it's noodle-limb, slightly 'chibi' style, and since Sonic characters are so noodly and small-bodied, she just looked ridiculous with her huge boobs, thick legs and big butt.

Sonic Heroes onwards brought her in line.

Edited by Mysterics

Most of the male casts eyes, Sonic being a good example.

Like, what is it? Is he technically a cyclops? How does blinking work? Does it stay separate until the point where the eyes connect, does the eyebrow connect too? How do his eyebrows work?

That's been bothering me since forever.

I think it's like in cartoons when both eyes are "merged" together to exaggerate their expression, and they failed to execute that in 3D.

Ok so I was busy collecting red rings in classic Sky Sancuatary in Generations and my sister walked. And get this, she said she hated classic sonic and she said modern sonic was the real sonic. Lol

Ok so I was busy collecting red rings in classic Sky Sancuatary in Generations and my sister walked. And get this, she said she hated classic sonic and she said modern sonic was the real sonic. Lol

• Thumbs Up 1

As embarrassingly fanatical as that statement was, it's refreshing when the opposite is more likely and more often to be stated. Shallow? Wholeheartedly, but regardless I ain't even mad.

• Thumbs Up 7

Personally I always preffered how she looked in later games to how she looked in SA2, in SA2 she was wayyy too exaggerated, they broke the Sonic style in order to make her look as curvy as possible, the Sonic series is well known for it's noodle-limb, slightly 'chibi' style, and since Sonic characters are so noodly and small-bodied, she just looked ridiculous with her huge boobs, thick legs and big butt.

I didn't see it as breaking the sonic style. I think that was what made her look more interesting. She's a different species. I don't see why it's a crime to be curvy or sexy. There's plenty of characters in other media that look different yet still fit into the same universe. Kingdom Hearts for example. The director refused to change the human designs to fit more with the disney designs, because he said as long as everything looked nice in color and tone it would be fine. That and everyone had different body shapes. The end result looks far more interesting and appealing rather than making everyone look exactly the same with the same body type and depth. Who Framed Roger Rabbit is another example. (Jessica Rabbit with that white goofy rabbit)

I will say her Generations model looks fine to me. I don't have a problem with it.

• Thumbs Up 1

I didn't see it as breaking the sonic style. I think that was what made her look more interesting. She's a different species.

Edited by Zinos

Probably the most strangest thing Is in Hill top zone where there's two random springs next to each other so you get trapped in a Infinite loop

like, Why?!

• Thumbs Up 7

The weirdest thing I've ever seen in a Sonic game was in Sonic adventure 2 on the Dreamcast. My Cd was scratched so when I was looking for the Big cameos, he was upside down and on an invisible platform in Metal Harbor.

• Thumbs Up 1

Most of the male casts eyes, Sonic being a good example.

Like, what is it? Is he technically a cyclops? How does blinking work? Does it stay separate until the point where the eyes connect, does the eyebrow connect too? How do his eyebrows work?

That's been bothering me since forever.

I think it's like in cartoons when both eyes are "merged" together to exaggerate their expression, and they failed to execute that in 3D.

I think it's pretty intentional,just as a stylistic design choice anyway.

15z5i0n.jpgev18cg.jpgetc.

It doesn't have to logically work,as long as it's doing its job of conveying emotion.

And strangely enough,I would find it a bit weird if they suddenly decided to separate the eyes,I dunno,it just fits well imo.

It's probably more to do with it being a sort of a tribute to those old classic cartoon characters and their designs ( old Mickey Mouse and co. come to mind,Felix the cat ...).

Same goes with the white gloves (for

emphasizing gestures and what-not ).

Now on the topic of other strange things...

Well,it's not particulary ''strange'',but I've always kinda wondered

why Amy doesn't have the 2 back spikes like the other hedgehogs.

Since her post-Adventure head spikes design hardly resembles a hedgie,the back ones would help identify a bit better with the species' design staple of the series.I guess.

And especially considering her dress has a ''hole'' right on that spot.

Oh well,it's not really bothersome or anything tongue.png

• Thumbs Up 3

Let me guess: Sonic Adventure 2 Battle was her first Sonic game?

Nope, Sonic Advance 2 was believe or not. And you can imagine how pissed she was when she realized she couldn't play as Cream.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah I have a couple more. You have the ordinary sound for turning super, right? Then you get to Doomsday Zone and it's replaced, not only with a completely different sound for no reason, but a really cartoony, out of place one.

The Cream Mission in City Escape with Cream doing the tricks with Sonic on the board is the other one, cba to check if I or someone else already posted this though.

With regards to the eye thing, I kinda see it as two eyeballs squished into one socket. I'm pretty sure there's an unwritten rule that "mono-eye" characters like that must NEVER have their pupils cross over the middle or swap places, even if they're doing a silly expression.

Totally breaks the tone of the character design, bordering on outright fuggin' creepy.

Well,it's not particulary ''strange'',but I've always kinda wondered

why Amy doesn't have the 2 back spikes like the other hedgehogs.

Since her post-Adventure head spikes design hardly resembles a hedgie,the back ones would help identify a bit better with the species' design staple of the series.I guess.

And especially considering her dress has a ''hole'' right on that spot.

Oh well,it's not really bothersome or anything tongue.png

I like to think that she shaves her back spikes... :D

I'm pretty sure her "classic" model had one back spike. I theorise that perhaps as teenager having spikes on her back is like having leg hairs, it makes her feel selfconscious!

• Thumbs Up 1

In SA2B, Rouge gave Knuckles the Master Emerald. The cutscene after that shows that Sonic is trapped in the capsule and flown out in space. If you look closely, a piece of the Master Emerald is IN THE CAPSULE, POWERING IT. Not to mention it blows up after. How could Knuckles have had the full Master Emerald if one of the pieces was missing?

Sorry, right now I can't get a picture, but for the people who want to check it out for themselves, it's called 'Sonic in Trouble' in 'Story' on the Heroes side.

Edited by BlueBlurMe
  • Thumbs Up 1

In SA2B, Rouge gave Knuckles the Master Emerald. The cutscene after that shows that Sonic is trapped in the capsule and flown out in space. If you look closely, a piece of the Master Emerald is IN THE CAPSULE, POWERING IT. Not to mention it blows up after. How could Knuckles have had the full Master Emerald if one of the pieces was missing?

Sorry, right now I can't get a picture, but for the people who want to check it out for themselves, it's called 'Sonic in Trouble' in 'Story' on the Heroes side.

2zg6crm.png

I always thought that was a green Chaos Drive? Or a bomb? Being a bomb makes more sense because of the numbers on it and because capsules don't explode of their own volition. If that was so, Shadow's capsule would have exploded when Maria ejected him from the Colony.

The only real strange thing about this cutscene was that the bomb didn't appear in the floor of the capsule when Sonic stepped on it back inside the Colony. Unless it was concealed so that Sonic wouldn't smell a rat until it was too late.

• Thumbs Up 1

At 1:54

Looks like a Chaos Drive to me, or just come other non-descript battery-type object. A Chaos Drive would make sense considering it's the Ark.

EDIT: ASDFGDXHSJGDSJLGJKLBHCKJL! BLAST YOU, VERTE!

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mephiles was stolen from a 2003 fan game called 'Neo Sonic Universe'.

Both take the form of Shadow, both have the same goals, both try to kill Sonic, both almost succeed at doing such. The similarities between them are very suspicious. The fan game was very popular, and won SAGE too.

Not really. Taking a character and making him look slightly different as an evil clone is a pretty common idea. All it says is that the idea making process for 06 was on the same level as random fan material.

• Thumbs Up 2

Not really. Taking a character and making him look slightly different as an evil clone is a pretty common idea. All it says is that the idea making process for 06 was on the same level as random fan material.

Mephiles was stolen from a 2003 fan game called 'Neo Sonic Universe'.

Both take the form of Shadow, both have the same goals, both try to kill Sonic, both almost succeed at doing such. The similarities between them are very suspicious. The fan game was very popular, and won SAGE too.

Because similarities between different things means one of them is stolen from the other.