Awoo.

Strangest thing(s) you found in a Sonic game?

MegaMan_EXE

Strangest thing I found? Well it's not something very special but Pure Dark Shadow theme "Almost Dead" freaks me out. Whoa , I didn't expected THAT kinds of lyrics in Sonic song...

Yeah, Almost Dead completely threw me off too. I mean, I know Shadow was supposed to be a darker game and everything, but geez...

Definitely not one of my favorite vocal tracks.

• Thumbs Up 1

None of the Black Arms (except for doom's eye) are actually black. They're shades of gray.

Also, the name, 'black arms' is an odd name.

Honestly I don't think there's anything necessarily wrong with the concept. Sexy female spies and thieves are pretty common concepts, and I think the concept can still work in a game for kids, starring animals, without being creepy, as long as they show some restraint with it (that is, less actually "sexy", and more "a pretty lady (who kicks butt)").

Huge bouncing bat-boobs, tho'...yeah that went a little too far.

There's nothing wrong with the concept itself, amoral femme fatal character, cool. But its just the entire design screams fanservice, with the skin tight suit, cleavage, and a somewhat promiscuous attitude.

The thing is, you can't actually have a femme fatale character without some hint, physically or otherwise, of a sexually seductive character. This characteristic is basically part of the very foundation of the trope, so it's a bit weird to be complaining about Rouge's looks whilst praising this aspect of her written character. Not to defend jiggle physics, of course; just saying you can't really have your cake and eat it too.

I've brought up this weirdness in comments before;

Just watch at what he does to Skullian at the 1:30 mark! Just watch. That is the freakiest most strangest thing I have ever seen Sonic do. Violet Void Form is truly the scariest, most freakish Sonic form of them all. He ate that boss and seemed to say "Yum!" at 1:37.

• Thumbs Up 1

The thing is, you can't actually have a femme fatale character without some hint, physically or otherwise, of a sexually seductive character. This characteristic is basically part of the very foundation of the trope, so it's a bit weird to be complaining about Rouge's looks whilst praising this aspect of her written character. Not to defend jiggle physics, of course; just saying you can't really have your cake and eat it too.
I'm not suggesting they should have made a completely asexual Rouge, tho'; there's dozens of ways to convey the archetype, some more appropriate to the series than others. We don't need huge jiggling bat-tits to convey "this character is sexy"; they could've given her a recognizable "mature female" body without it being so exaggerated, and between that, body language, and dialogue, it would come across just fine.

I was replying primarily to Shadic when I made that post and made it expressly clear that I wasn't defending jiggle physics, something which was pretty much abandoned in SA2 anyway as far as I'm aware (because I am the last person looking at bat tits and making mental note of how they function when I play my Sonic games). I also don't see Rouge's physique as significantly more exaggerated than any other body archetype we have in this series, hence why I can't imagine her design as any more conserved without it losing the connection it has to her character; let's be honest here, Rouge just isn't Jessica Rabbit or a Rob Liefeld monstrosity. Overall, Rouge isn't a particular outlier to me other than the fact that she's the first female character we've had meant to purposefully convey characteristics of a seducer.

The fact that immature chao's can actually mate in SA, but that it results in a stillborn baby.

No further comment necessary...

Honestly I don't think there's anything necessarily wrong with the concept. Sexy female spies and thieves are pretty common concepts, and I think the concept can still work in a game for kids, starring animals, without being creepy, as long as they show some restraint with it (that is, less actually "sexy", and more "a pretty lady (who kicks butt)").

Huge bouncing bat-boobs, tho'...yeah that went a little too far.

Eh, it could had been worse....they could had made Rouge a Petting Zoo Person, like Stevin Butler they did with Sally below.

And that's not getting into what she might had looked if Rouge was Little Bit Beastly.

SallyAcorn02.png

I can't think of any that haven't already been mentioned aside from Spinball's FUNKY ACSHUN, so count this as another point for the Wacky Workbench Angel, Red Mountain prisoners, and CD's Giygas the Hedgehog/I'm the Fastest Goddamn Thing Alive.

Adventure one had some weird shit, but the strangest thing to me is the horribly accented woman who does the news when she speaks about the Chaos Emerald being stolen while Eggman watches in his base and scratches his arse. That accent I guess is supposed to be almost British but it's so fucked up and doesn't sound like anything. "SOARNICK THA HEDGEHOARG".

And people say these games are the pinnacle of quality :/

Amusingly enough, TV Tropes listed that moment under Sonic's Narm page, describing the woman's voice as a combination of "Austrailian, cod-Canadian, and rugby-ball-up-the-arse English".

^ I like this post as an appreciation for the mention, not because I like breast physics in SA2.

Yeah. Keep talking.

Just kidding.

Also, the name, 'black arms' is an odd name.

Not as odd as their master's name.

Forget Robotnik/Eggman, this is the name everyone should be going on endlessly about. "Black Doom" doesn't even sound like a thing, let alone a person.

Black Doom sounds like if the name was made up on the spot by a third grader.

• Thumbs Up 4

^ It always struck me as rather strange that the world's population weren't in a major panic about the planet being split into pieces. In fact many were far more concerned with the state of their relationships and careers. =P

Edited by Lungo
  • Thumbs Up 1

Perhaps some of them were young news reporters, eager to shine their hilariously terrible British accents upon the world, and no Dark Gaia fuckers are going to tell them otherwise.

• Thumbs Up 2

Those purple wobbly prisoner guys in Red Mountain. Those things creeped me out when I was like 8 or 9...

Also, while Early-Teen Me was okay with the normal SA2 ghosts - even when they came up right at the screen - he could never prepare for the more bigger, knitted-mouth variations that showed up very rarely and more often than not in very small places. Yes, you only had to punch them before they revert to the more standard and smaller forms, but still... brrr.

Forget the Tails Doll. Those guys are uncanny. Which is amazing, since they're ghosts, and as such should be uncanny by default, ergo making them more uncanny than uncanny itself. And now my head is sore. Such is the power of that which is uncanny.

• Thumbs Up 3

Chaos 6. I just don't know how it can jump from 4, being a shark, to 6, being a weird scorpion, lizard thing. What could of Chaos 5 have been in order to bridge that gap? That and how did it go from scorpion-lizard to a Tentacle Dragon the size of a Skyscraper? Im not complaining, just Chaos 6's bizarre form raises alot of questions

I know what would of been really strange and terrifying, Alf Layla wa Layla from Secret Rings. It wasn't scary, just very weird looking. You look at it in concept arts and you think this is a horrible monster but due to the game not having cinematic cutscenes we don't see the frightening appeal of him. Maybe a fully 3d cinematic showing the transformation of Erazor to Alf Layla would have been terrifying, but sadly he doesn't separate himself from the generic Monster of the Week.

Oh God yes. You've gotta wonder what went through the artists mind when they were spriting that.

tailsass.png

Seriously, WTF!?

I could not believe this when I heard it. Couldn't quite believe it when I saw it for myself.

This wasn't the first time that this has happened. I remember when I was playing the first sonic advance as tails and when he got caught up in the air draft in Angel Island I saw his butthole. Again, wtf Sega?

• Thumbs Up 1

Do glitches count? Or is it limited to things you find in the game itself?

Oh God yes. You've gotta wonder what went through the artists mind when they were spriting that.

tailsass.png

Seriously, WTF!?

I could not believe this when I heard it. Couldn't quite believe it when I saw it for myself.

Also, they weren't exactly adverse to drawing panties on Amy and Cream when they were in certain positions....

Also, while Early-Teen Me was okay with the normal SA2 ghosts - even when they came up right at the screen - he could never prepare for the more bigger, knitted-mouth variations that showed up very rarely and more often than not in very small places. Yes, you only had to punch them before they revert to the more standard and smaller forms, but still... brrr.

Forget the Tails Doll. Those guys are uncanny. Which is amazing, since they're ghosts, and as such should be uncanny by default, ergo making them more uncanny than uncanny itself. And now my head is sore. Such is the power of that which is uncanny.

I personally think that the Hyudoros (ghosts) from Sandopolis are pretty much just as bad. When it gets darker, they get more vicious, and then they grow horns and look more evil, and then when it's pitch black they attack like a school of piranas, and if you scare one away with a spin attack, MORE of them appear.....@_@

• Thumbs Up 1

I like it when characters are suddenly given a power they never had before and we are just supposed to accept it and not ask questions. Example, Sonic 06 Amy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnTAWj7q7_M... Since WHEN? Wha? Who...HOW? I call BS! dry.png

Course that's nothing compared to the awkwardness of Sonic carrying Elise around. I mean who thought that wouldn't look totally odd? Oh, and there's another random power Sonic apparently has: when he's teamed up with Elise he gets that http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYLffVZwW-Q... Yeah I know he's teamed up with others in the past and gained new abilities, heck that was the main gimmick in Advance 3, but really, wha?

Lets see more examples... Metal Sonic can suddenly shapeshift terminator style and look like completely normal organic beings as well as other robots (he impersonated Sonic and Eggman in Heroes altered his natual appearance, and transformed into a monster at the end of the game. In Sonic free riders he assumed the appearance of one of the racer bots). Now this ability I can kinda buy, I mean he is a robot and was able to turn super in Sonic and Knuckles but really it seemed like something that sorta came out of nowhere.

Turning back to Sonic, the light dash. Now this required you have a special item to use in the Adventure series but once Heroes came around Sonic could do it naturally. Course I suppose we could get real nitty gritty and get into the homing attack but meh.

All right this last bit isn't actually about powers it's just something else I find odd. In the Adventures we can breed Chao. These chao live to be about 5 years of age then they die and, if they were taken care of, comeback as a baby. Now during this lifespan they still have the mindset of a toddler and speak utter gibbierish. Yet look at the vendor at the kindergarten, and the fortune teller, the principal and doctor. These are clearly ADULT CHAO. Soooo... How/when does a chao become like these characters? Are Adult Chao common? The Vendor in Riders I'm pretty sure was a Chao but one could argue he's the came Chao as in Adventure 2 (looked the same if I recall correctly). If there are adult chao out there then why in Gods name are they letting us raise their young? Also, is it not creepy that infant chao can mate? Do adult chao approve? Also what's with the Black Market Chao selling Chao eggs? Isn't that, er, slavery or something? Guess he's called Black Market for a reason... Oh and that's another thing, what's a Black Market doing in a KINDERGARTEN blink.png ? Seriously... Oh and I guess the fortune teller there is pretty odd as well but really what's this game saying here?

Edited by Rally the Cheetah
  • Thumbs Up 2

All right this last bit isn't actually about powers it's just something else I find odd. In the Adventures we can breed Chao. These chao live to be about 5 years of age then they die and, if they were taken care of, comeback as a baby. Now during this lifespan they still have the mindset of a toddler and speak utter gibbierish. Yet look at the vendor at the kindergarten, and the fortune teller, the principal and doctor. These are clearly ADULT CHAO. Soooo... How/when does a chao become like these characters? Are Adult Chao common? The Vendor in Riders I'm pretty sure was a Chao but one could argue he's the came Chao as in Adventure 2 (looked the same if I recall correctly). If there are adult chao out there then why in Gods name are they letting us raise their young? Also, is it not creepy that infant chao can mate? Do adult chao approve? Also what's with the Black Market Chao selling Chao eggs? Isn't that, er, slavery or something? Guess he's called Black Market for a reason... Oh and that's another thing, what's a Black Market doing in a KINDERGARTEN blink.png ? Seriously... Oh and I guess the fortune teller there is pretty odd as well but really what's this game saying here?

Edited by ElementofChaos7

EDIT:

Speaking of chao...

I always though Chaos was just a random creature, and it always confused me what it's origins were. It wasn't until I was older that I realized that he (it?) is a chao mutated by the Chaos Emeralds and/or Master Emerald.