Awoo.

Strangest thing(s) you found in a Sonic game?

MegaMan_EXE

But as for another strange moment in Sonic, and I'm suprised no one's said it yet, but how Sonic's gloves and shoes magically return after he changes back from the Werehog. Even Chip notifys this when you feed him certain foods in the game.

It's kind of like the game programmers are poking fun at the absurdity of Sonic logic in general.

Even stranger is Darkspine Sonic. His shoes and gloves go missing completely and yet return the instant he reverts. But that's just an example of Magic Pants. The instances with the Werehog are even weirder when you consider the fact that his gloves were actually shown ripping in the intro as well as in NOTW.

What I always found a little strange was Blaze's immunity to the flames in Sky Babylon in SRA yet she takes damage from other sources of flame. Gardon even notes this on Southern Island, how Blaze's mastery of Pyrokinesis enables her to endure contact with fire but this still only applies to the fire in Sky Babylon. Unless that fire is 'magical' or something. Whatsmore, how can Blaze's flames activate underwater in say, Water Palace?

What's also strange in Sonic? The fact that the birds that the extra boss of Sonic Advance 2 sucks up along with Vanilla are apparently capable of changing their species/appearance;

Sonicadvance2_012903_2_640w.jpg

^ Just before being sucked-up

birdslol.png

^ And when they're released from the capsule along with Vanilla.

Odd little oversight.

• Thumbs Up 3

Yeesh. When you look at Generations' boxart and then back to Sonic 06's, Sonic actually looks kind of evil in the latter. I mean... just look at those eyes for a few seconds.

It always bothered me how classic Tails (who is quite clearly younger than classic Sonic) in Generations was able to speak, and so was classic Eggman...but not classic Sonic himself. I'm not taking the "voice for the voiceless" thing, because I don't remember one scene in which classic Tails spoke on classic Sonic's behalf at all. :/

• Thumbs Up 2

It always bothered me how classic Tails (who is quite clearly younger than classic Sonic) in Generations was able to speak, and so was classic Eggman...but not classic Sonic himself. I'm not taking the "voice for the voiceless" thing, because I don't remember one scene in which classic Tails spoke on classic Sonic's behalf at all. :/

What I find even more stupid is that Sega decided to keep classic sonic mute because "that's the way he was in the genesis games". The hell? Tails and Eggy couldn't speak in the genesis games either yet they are perfectly capable of speaking in generations. Something's telling me Sega must have caved in to the fanbase on this one.

• Thumbs Up 9

^ Not only that but Sonic spoke in CD and Eggman spoke in SEGASonic The Hedgehog.

Technically, Tails was the only character who remained 100% mute until Sonic Adventure.

This is just voice acting-wise of course. Everyone chats plenty in the manual story pages.

• Thumbs Up 2

In Adventure 2, the GUN truck was stopped by a building

10 years later it drives through a building.

And is stopped by another building while driving on the side of buildings.

• Thumbs Up 3

Not giving classic Sonic a voice wasn’t the mistake, more that they made him a mute character as opposed to a silent character.

A mute character actively communicates through gestures, and without a decent explanation as to why they can't "just spit it out," it just gets annoying.

A silent character doesn’t need to verbally to say something to get a point across and/or prides actions over words.

Really, that’s the difference between old and new games; the incentive to be straight forward, to the point, and unforgiving as opposed to the demand for flare, spectacle, and accessibility. Depicting CS as a silent character of action could have been a great way to add to a dynamic between him and a kinder, flashier, yet dorky MS.

If making CSonic a mute is seen as fan pandering, wouldn't have giving him a voice been seen as fan pandering as well? From what I understand just about every actor that has voiced Sonic has their very own morbid troop of rabid fans and haters on standby.

Edited by Vantoggle
  • Thumbs Up 1

If making CSonic a mute is seen as fan pandering, wouldn't have giving him a voice been seen as fan pandering as well? From what I understand just about every actor that has voiced Sonic has their very own morbid troop of rabid fans and haters on standby.

No. Because intentionally having a voice has always been a part of Sonic as a character whether he be Classic or Modern.

The manuals had Sonic talking in them and so did Sonic 3D Blast's 'cutscenes'. It's not pandering to the base if Classic had a voice in Generations for the simple fact that he has spoken in the past in game media. That's not pandering to the base, that's being consistent and sensical.

And SEGA ought to stop fan preference/negativity for VA's influence them IMO if that utter cluster**** of a response to VA changes circa 2005 is something to go by. Heck, even if Jaleel White would've been hired to voice Classic Sonic in Generations, the only real reason as to why he would have is because of fans mixing their interpretation of Game Classic Sonic with AoStH/SatAM/Underground Sonic from their childhoods. I bet my buck that this explanation for the apparently widespread desire for White to voice Classic in Generations is far more prevalent than people who desire White VA'ing Sonic purely because they feel that that voice suits him in their minds.

• Thumbs Up 2

Sonic has both spoken and not spoken in game media before he had a consistent voice in most of the games. Depending on who you talk to, Sonic either gained a voice in 1998 or he always had one, although- being as biased as I am- I would assume most people, hardcore fans or not, casually think the former because the games in which they were most exposed to did not have dialogue in the manuals much less enough spoken word in the games for it be relevant. Sega deciding to go with the former isn't pandering to a delusion. I wish people would stop saying this, get off their high-horse about the issue, and cease taking out their anger over the decision on a large group of people of which a significant portion frankly never even insisted classic Sonic be silent to begin with. Jesus H. Fucking Christ, you people can be venomous on this issue. :|

• Thumbs Up 4

I think the strangest thing I've ever seen has to be the hidden images in Sonic CD, especially the picture in the bottom left corner of this picture. That, combined with the somewhat creepy US boss theme playing, was certainly bizzarre.

Also, how every character seemed to be eternally moving to a beat in all of the cutscenes, bouncing up and down, especially Eggman.

Edited by D-Metal X
  • Thumbs Up 1

No. Because intentionally having a voice has always been a part of Sonic as a character whether he be Classic or Modern.

The manuals had Sonic talking in them and so did Sonic 3D Blast's 'cutscenes'. It's not pandering to the base if Classic had a voice in Generations for the simple fact that he has spoken in the past in game media. That's not pandering to the base, that's being consistent and sensical.

And SEGA ought to stop fan preference/negativity for VA's influence them IMO if that utter cluster**** of a response to VA changes circa 2005 is something to go by. Heck, even if Jaleel White would've been hired to voice Classic Sonic in Generations, the only real reason as to why he would have is because of fans mixing their interpretation of Game Classic Sonic with AoStH/SatAM/Underground Sonic from their childhoods. I bet my buck that this explanation for the apparently widespread desire for White to voice Classic in Generations is far more prevalent than people who desire White VA'ing Sonic purely because they feel that that voice suits him in their minds.

I just noticed she's wearing skis AND holding a skeet gun. I don't know what Olympic game requires people to shoot frisbees while skiing, but I think I might watch the Olympics to see how it goes down.

• Thumbs Up 2

Strangest thing huh? Well duh the guy standing outside the burger shop in Sonic Adventure.

Ahhhhh the first time i throwed him into the ocean

I find it strange that Classic Tails comes out of nowhere in Generations. Honestly, they didn't even introduce him, he was just there.

• Thumbs Up 2

I find it strange that Classic Tails comes out of nowhere in Generations. Honestly, they didn't even introduce him, he was just there.

That really annoyed me too.

Actually, Generations opens up a can of so many worms that are never explained that I wish they were at least adknowledged of in the least.

• Thumbs Up 2

Sonic and the Black Knight is the first Sonic game (that i know of) that has NOTHING to do with eggman

Eggman (aside from the robots) has a REALLY small cameo of sorts in Black Knight. Collect the Joker Card, and Eggman's face/symbol is on it!

Eggman (aside from the robots) has a REALLY small cameo of sorts in Black Knight. Collect the Joker Card, and Eggman's face/symbol is on it!

Well I was talking story-wise.

Also the way Eggman runs around in Sonic Chronicles

• Thumbs Up 1

Strangest thing huh? Well duh the guy standing outside the burger shop in Sonic Adventure.

Ahhhhh the first time i throwed him into the ocean

It was actually a statue.