Awoo.

Shaping Canon: Where does Sonic CD fit in the timeline?

Indigo Rush

Uhhh.

I'd say Sonic practiced the Spin Dash so much that he forgot to do the Peel Out.

Also, Tails is in the 4 Saga, in EP 2. EP 2 will be a Sonic 2/CD chapter.

What about Tails in the Tornado in the DA garden? It may be a minor Easter Egg that may have no real basis in canon but it is intriguing how Tails is featured in the DA Garden in the Tornado no less when sense would dictate that Sonic would have to have met Tails for him to be using the Tornado, as the Tornado belongs to Sonic and is the thing that ultimately brought them together in the first place.

As for Metal Sonic in S4EPII, maybe Eggman only salvaged Metal's CPU and engine and reconstructed his body? It'd explain why Metal has suddenly grown from 76.5cm in height to 100cm in height.

Sonic CD was secretly originally set between Sonic 2 and Sonic 3, where the effect of time travelling in between meant that it occured before Sonic 2, after S3&K and simultaneously erased the original event of them going home and Sonic going to Little Planet on a day outing, and instead had them going on a direct route to Angel Island. And the time paradox this created merely made the characters gain coloured irises afterwards.

Short version; it makes about as much sense as the Blaze and Silver debate, at the moment.

New idea!

This probably would have taken place after 4 Episode 1. How?

Metal is a upgraded robot

Sonic learned a new move

Sonic tries a new Spin Dash

Amy is new

New element

Leads into 4 Ep 2

If the Modern design wasn't used, then YES!!

Sonic 1

Sonic 2

Sonic 3 & Knuckles

Sonic 4 Ep 1

Sonic CD

Sonic 4 Ep 2.

As for Metal Sonic in S4EPII, maybe Eggman only salvaged Metal's CPU and engine and reconstructed his body? It'd explain why Metal has suddenly grown from 76.5cm in height to 100cm in height.

Why would Eggman need to salvage any part of Metal Sonic from CD? surely he'd have all of Metal's Data saved to simply make another, more advanced model.

Sonic 4 Ep 1

Sonic CD

Sonic 4 Ep 2.

Sonic CD IS the prologue to the entire Sonic 4 Arc, can't have it between Sonic 4 Ep 1 and Ep 2.

Edited by Samus Aran

Sonic CD IS the prologue to the entire Sonic 4 Arc, can't have it between Sonic 4 Ep 1 and Ep 2.

To me, the 4 Saga is like their own stories.

Ep 1 was like Sonic 1 and a little bit of Sonic 2.

I know that makes NO sense, but to me, it just seems that way.

And 4 Ep 2 would be like a Sonic 2/ little bit of Sonic CD story.

FLAME ME!!

So practicing something "so much" makes you forgot how to do other things? Sounds legit.

Anyways, I always thought CD came before Sonic 2, but the way they're talking about it now, it seems like it takes place after the Death Egg saga. Ken Balough kept saying that they wanted to find a spot for Sonic CD in the original timeline by making it a prequel to Sonic 4... but that's vague as all hell. Its place in the timeline still isn't very clear.

Yeah. You're right about that. How does CD happen if after Sonic & Knuckles, Sonic has the Modern design for 4 Ep 2.

Also, there was a story about 4 EP 1 saying that it took place after Knuckles, and Sonic didn't know Robotnik was alive.

Could this be leading to CD's ending?

To me, the 4 Saga is like their own stories.

Ep 1 was like Sonic 1 and a little bit of Sonic 2.

I know that makes NO sense, but to me, it just seems that way.

And 4 Ep 2 would be like a Sonic 2/ little bit of Sonic CD story.

FLAME ME!!

that doesn't change SEGA saying that Sonic CD was the Prologue to the entire Sonic 4 Arc, regardless of episodes.

can't argue with the facts Brah.

i used to think it was set between 2-3 but then it just caused a lot of arguments in a sonic facebook group i was a part of, i thought Silver Sonic from Sonic 2 was a Metal Sonic Prototype that was used to capture Sonic's data, to perfect Eggman's redefined Metal Sonic in CD, but then again no Tails being there, and randomly having the Little planet appear, and no sign of the Death Egg just doesn't sit right... it'd make more sense if it were between 1-2 but then if sonic CD is the prologue to 4, it'd of gone Sonic 1, CD, 4...2 3

so yeah it doesn't make sense, maybe CD should be treat like a spin off?

Edited by Samus Aran

that doesn't change SEGA saying that Sonic CD was the Prologue to the entire Sonic 4 Arc, regardless of episodes.

can't argue with the facts Brah.

Guess I can't.

Between 1 and 2 works best. CD and 2 were being made at the same time; both were intended as sequels to Sonic 1. CD can't reasonably come between 2 and 3&K, which leaves between 1 and 2 as the best place for it. The robot Sonics aren't a serious concern; just say that Eggman found that his machines couldn't match Sonic's speed, so he went for power, and when that failed he went back to Metal. There's no need for it to follow perfect machine logic.

Huh. Never would have thought of THAT!

The logic behind the "Tails in every game" and "Metal > Mecha" arguements is sound enough, yet it's not logic that Sega has directly adhered to, historically anyway. While Tails is a very important character, like everyone else it's not "required" for him to appear in every game after Sonic 2. Tails himself does not appear in the story book games for example (people that have an "uncanny resemblence" to him do though). And Sonic Advance, which had Mecha Knuckles, should presumably take place after Sonic R, which had Metal Knuckles, which means Eggman doesn't show any preference in terms of "superiority" between the two model classes.

However the plot that Sega is intending to write for Episode 2 would suggest that Sonic CD takes place before Sonic 2, with the Death Egg saga and Episode 1 taking up the bulk of the year between CD and Episode 2 before Little Planet appeared once again.

I always figured that Sonic CD took place between Sonic 1 and 2. I know it was never officially stated, but it really just makes the most sense.

• Thumbs Up 1

The logic behind the "Tails in every game" and "Metal > Mecha" arguements is sound enough, yet it's not logic that Sega has directly adhered to, historically anyway.
The Tails thing is less "Tails is in every game" and more "if someone's going to miss a game, logically it's going to be Amy rather than Tails". Because regardless of whether 2 or CD comes first, the earlier game introduces a character that doesn't appear in the next. But it makes more sense to put CD first, say that Tails isn't in it because he hasn't been introduced, and that Amy isn't in 2 and 3&K because Sonic doesn't like her, than it does to put 2 first, say Amy isn't in it because she hasn't been introduced, and that for some reason Sonic ditched his partner and best bud when he ran off to the Little Planet.

It's not particularly strong evidence regardless, but it's a more elegant outcome than the alternative, and it jives with the theory that (IMO) has the most evidence anyway.

The physical appearance of the "classic" characters in Generations were most likely mythology gags and nothing more.
How many times can you point out the difference in-game and still say it's not actually something that is true?

Like, I don't think I'd say that Sonic was a mute when he was younger, considering there's no reference to an inability to talk (unless I missed something); he simply does not. But when characters explicitly comment on Classic's shorter spines and rounder belly, it's kind of hard to justify that not actually being a thing.

• Thumbs Up 1

SEGA confirmed that it takes place after Sonic 3 & Knuckles. Even if you don't like it, that's a fact and you'll just have to deal.

• Thumbs Up 1

I always figured that Sonic CD took place between Sonic 1 and 2. I know it was never officially stated, but it really just makes the most sense.

I always thought the same thing. Like the Metal Sonic model and the prototype of that spin dash.

SEGA confirmed that it takes place after Sonic 3 & Knuckles. Even if you don't like it, that's a fact and you'll just have to deal.

Sega also confirmed that Sonic and Knuckles' stories in Sonic 3 happened concurrently. Why is that relevant? Because that's why I don't care what Sonic 4 says about the classic game canon.

• Thumbs Up 8

Pardon me, but... where?

• Thumbs Up 2

Did SEGA not say that Sonic CD was confirmed to come after the classic trilogy, with Episode I following it? Or am I misinterpreting the whole "Sonic CD is the prequel to Sonic 4" thing?

While I would say it would fall before Sonic 2 it seems more fitting after Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

Mostly because Silver/Mecha Sonic's development in between Sonic 2 and 3. Silver Sonic was a prototype to a Sonic type robot after all. It would be rather strange if Metal Sonic wasn't the finished thing.

Mostly because Silver/Mecha Sonic's development in between Sonic 2 and 3. Silver Sonic was a prototype to a Sonic type robot after all. It would be rather strange if Metal Sonic wasn't the finished thing.
It's strange that a large, bulky prototype, which led to a slightly less bulky but still quite large robot, didn't then lead to a small, sleek robot with completely different abilities?

It's strange that a large, bulky prototype, which led to a slightly less bulky but still quite large robot, didn't then lead to a small, sleek robot with completely different abilities?

Isn't evolution wonderful?

Edited by Samus Aran

Don't forget that Metal Sonic is completely impervious to Sonic's attacks whereas the others had weak spots so therefore it seems logical that Metal Sonic evolved from Silver and then Mecha because he is without doubt the ultimate robotic version of Sonic.