Awoo.

Shaping Canon: Where does Sonic CD fit in the timeline?

Indigo Rush

Sonic 1 - CD - Spinball - Sonic 2 - Sonic 3&K - Sonic 4?

I think Spinball should have a place. In Spinball intro sequence, Sonic arrives with Tails on the bit plane before it is shot down and they are seperated.

Edited by MilesKnightwing

Spinball has like 30 Chaos Emeralds, and SatAM and AoStH characters as part of the storyline. There's no way it could have been canon, arguably even when it came out.

Edited by Tornado

Spinball has like 30 Chaos Emeralds, and SatAM and AoStH characters as part of the storyline. There's no way it could have been canon, arguably even when it came out.

Spinball is more or less a spinoff (no pun intended...). So it can't count in the timeline.

Spinball is more or less a spinoff (no pun intended...). So it can't count in the timeline.

It is a spinoff, there's no more or less about it.

It is a spinoff, there's no more or less about it.

Yeah, not to mention 3D Blast is a spinoff all the same, though I would'nt count it since it's not a spinoff, but a remake, and a bad one, of Flicky in disguise.

Edited by Abominal Taz

The difficulty level of CD (Bosses, Badniks and making a Good Future) generally matches the harder difficulty setting of Sonic 1. Whereas Sonic 2 has a lesser difficulty.

Sonic CD does not have a 2 player vs mode. Sonic 2 does.

So CD taking place Sonic 1 & 2 does make sense.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, not to mention 3D Blast is a spinoff all the same, though I would'nt count it since it's not a spinoff, but a remake, and a bad one, of Flicky in disguise.
Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 1

The only relation 3D Blast has to the game Flicky is that there are Flickies in both games. You might as well be saying Daytona USA is a remake of Sonic 1 because of the Sonic statue in Three-Seven Speedway.
  • Thumbs Up 2

The only relation 3D Blast has to the game Flicky is that there are Flickies in both games. You might as well be saying Daytona USA is a remake of Sonic 1 because of the Sonic statue in Three-Seven Speedway.

Edited by Abominal Taz

I didn't say it had a relation, I just feel as though it's basically the same game in 3D. No need for the sarcasm brosby...

There was no sarcasm there. Your criteria for what makes a remake seemed so broad that it makes the word pretty much meaningless; and even the explanation that Diogenes gave (and I know that he wasn't calling it a remake) gives a wide enough berth that it could be used to call pretty much every platformer a remake of pretty much any other platformer if you change one word.

Edited by Abominal Taz

3d blast was a good Sonic game, not great as there many things that could have been better but a nice game and easy to play. Similar to CD in that It had great graphics, excellent music and level design. Also an interesting gimmick in rescuing the flickies.

The 'Next Game' isn't Sonic 2. It's Sonic Drift. That's why there's a car behind Tails, and why he's holding these goggles or whatever they are. In Japan, Sonic Drift was released between Sonic CD and Sonic 3, so it was the next game in the series. The fact that the game was not released outside of Japan (Even though its sequel was) may be the reason why it's 'hidden'.

That would make sense, if sonic drift was actually released right after CD. which it didn't.

Sonic 2: Nov 24, 1992

Sonic CD release: Sept 23 , 1993

Sonic 3: Feb 2, 1994 (Hedgehog day!)

Sonic&Knuckles: Oct 18, 1994

Sonic Drift: March 18.1994

So, there goes that little theory.

Games happened in release date order, except for Sonic 4 which takes place between Sonic 3 & Knuckles and Sonic Adventure, and Sonic Generations which takes place after Sonic Colors but jumps back to previous titles but does not impact past plots in any way.

How do you know it did not impact past plots in any way if classic Sonic is now fully aware of the future dangers? Both Eggmans are stuck in a void in time and space and for SOME reason classic sonic and classic tails know each other before they were suppose to?

For any of us could know right now (unless you actually work for Sonic Team, which I'm doubting). Everything is pretty much up in the air just like Sonic CD is.

The problem is: people want to lump together Sonic CD because when we were younger we had no idea the three men who created and produced of our beloved Naoto Oshima, Hirokazu Yasuhara and Yuji Naka.

After their creation of Sonic 1, they split up. Naoto Ōshima worked on Sonic CD while Hirokazu Yasuhara worked on Sonic 2 THAT'S WHY THEY ARE SO DIFFERENT. They both wanted to use Sonic yet also why they seem so vastly different in animations and how they went about things. It was nothing more than different artistic and creative viewpoints in which they said "I think Sonic could use a move where he speeds up" and the other said "I think he can be more faster and easier for players if he was able to curl into a ball and be more offensive while still going fast. That's why you never see the "The Super Peel Out" move ever again.

I can't help but feel a little annoyed people are saying Sonic CD came between Sonic 1 and 2 as a fact. We don't know, we never knew. And until the creators say otherwise it's up to the newer people of Sonic Team to decide because the 3 people who gave us the addictive, fast, blue hedgehog we have loved for 20 years have not even been a part of SEGA or Sonic Team for quite some time.

Fin

Edited by Dreamhog

How do you know it did not impact past plots in any way if classic Sonic is now fully aware of the future dangers?
Because Sonic Team clearly had no interest in writing an in-depth and consistent time travel story; the whole thing's just an excuse to replay old levels.
  • Thumbs Up 1

Because Sonic Team clearly had no interest in writing an in-depth and consistent time travel story; the whole thing's just an excuse to replay old levels.

Agreed. To me, Sonic4 shouldn't even exist, they could have used these games as a remake of the Classics instead.

Edited by XRick

I don't see why it can't be canon, though.

Agreed. To me, Sonic4 shouldn't even exist, they could have used these games as a remake of the Classics instead.

Uh, what?

Instead of doing these Sonic4 episodes, they could be using this 2D engine to remake the Classics into a modern generation.

Instead of doing these Sonic4 episodes, they could be using this 2D engine to remake the Classics into a modern generation.

That would be stupid.

Edited by Marcellove
  • Thumbs Up 6

I'd rather have Sonic 4.

Stupid why? I still hope for ST to finally remake the Classics, they deserve to be updated to nowadays' gaming ways.

"People hate Sonic 4 because of the physics compared to the classic titles? Remake the classic titles with that physics engine! Then they'll have nothing to complain about!"

That almost even sounds like a Fake Iizuka Twitter update.

To say nothing about how there's no reason to do it, because there's nothing particularly different in the platformer landscape today than there was in the early 90s that actually would justify a remake in the first place.

The classics hold up fine as they are. They're not perfect, but there's not a whole lot to improve on without making them entirely different games. The series needs good new games far more than it needs updated old games, anyway.

I'm so glad we have a speaker on the behalf of sonic team's collective thought here. It's a pleasure to meet you.

The genesis days are long gone lets be honest. The release of CD with HD, widescreen, Tails and both soundtracks was a nice gesture. It made more sense to remake CD as that game has not been ported as much as the genesis games have over the years.

The fact that SEGA decided to do Sonic 4 as a $15 digit download instead of a $50 'box product' shows there was a lack of interest/confidence from SEGA in doing a new 2d game.

Linking CD to Sonic 4 is a bit of a joke. Ep1 had NOTHING to do with CD lets be honest. Trying to link a Mega CD game with a modern 2d game made no sense.

CD always feels to me at being set least before Sonic 3. A lot of the elements in Sonic CD were adapted to Sonic 3 believe it or not. If CD had been released after Sonic 3 like 3d blast then it would not have been as popular.