Awoo.

Marvel Cinematic Multiverse | Official Thread For Movies and D+ Shows

Jacky

I did not see Captain America because I never liked Captain America as a character. What do I really need to know to get the gist of the full story before I watch this monster?

YEah, I haven't seen neither Cap or Thor in theaters, so will I need to know anything before I see this movie?

Thor, Captain America and Iron Man 2 (in that specific order) are the most important ones to watch when it pertains to understanding the plot and many of it's central plot points. While the movie is set up marvelously on it's own, the key reason for the tie-ins that lead up to it is to characterize and set up the stories for each character so the Avengers doesn't have to spend the first one and a half hour cramming in things and explaining it to the audience (I'm looking at you, Watchmen).

Generally, Thor is the movie which sets up the central premise around The Avengers. Captain America is the main foundation which The Avengers builds upon, and many plot points and one plot twist in particular is built around knowledge gathered in both of those movies. Cap himself is the traditional protagonist of The Avengers. Iron Man 2 is the precursor, as it sets up S.H.I.E.L.D. and their agenda.

They're all wonderful movies on their own however, with many continuity nods, references and callbacks between one another. The Avengers, in particular, has such so much fun with all of the above and particular subtle tropes that I'm having a massive field day reading in on it's TVTropes page. Then again, this is Joss Whedon, who's work was pretty much what spawned that site.

Only in retrospect do I now realize why Agent Coulson asked where Tony got Cap's prototype shield from in Iron Man 2.

Captain America surprised me. I have always loathed him, yet the film made him human. I felt for the guy. The cheesiness was the type to make me grin. The movie is golden.

Iron Man will always be my fave. It's clever, well written and Downey Jr has him down to a T. the sequal has it's problems, yet I still enjoy it for the characters are enjoyable.

The Incredible Hulk. Hmmm. It was okay. I'll give it that. Not bad, not great, but it lay down the work needed.

Thor was cool. A must see for this film as it lays the foundation for other realms. Also simply to hear more of Thor's dialect :-p

Now the Avengers film itself. My jaw is on the floor. It is incredible. The film did not fall into the trap I thought it would, concentrate on a single character more than others. Examples would be Iron Man (Note how much he had of the trailers) and Black Widow ( It's Joss Whedon, he likes his femme fatales). Yet everyone gets just about the same treatment. This movie also made me like Black Widow, a character I always hated for being a stereotypical Russian Agent. This film gives her character and it is a likeable character. Hats off to Mr Whedon!

OK, just finished watching Iron Man 2...God,it's even worse then i remember. That was terrible!

Seriously, this movie is about nothing. Its only purpose is to set stuff up for the Avengers movie. It doesn't actually have a plot of its own. Here's how it is:

The first half hour has nothing happening, we only learn 2 things: Tony's core is killing him because...some reason that never is properly explained, and the us govt. wants him to hand over the suit. The whole government thing never ammounts to anything so it's just a pointless scene to eat up screentime. Tony's eventual death is pointless too but i'll say why later. The rest is just non-stop witty banter. Now don't get me wrong,I love Tony's banter, but that alone can't hold a movie, something has to actually happen.

Then Mickey Rourke appears with awesome tech, gets defeated in 2 seconds and then tells Tony that his father's tecnhology has been killing people including Rourke's father, so he wants revenge. There's more to it,but it doesn't matter because Tony just COMPLETELY IGNORES him and just goes back into "witty banter" mode. Also, this never gets brought up again. We never find out if Rourke was right or not. Pointless.

After that Tony is bumbling around drunk in a party full of people. He crosses the line when he uses the suit to break a glass wall and Rhody tries to stop him with one of his other suits. So your plan to prevent people from getting hurt by an iron suit is to start fighting him with another iron suit, which has way more chances of hurting someone? Great plan.

Meanwhile Mickey Rourke is secretly building an army of iron suits to attack Tony. This is pretty much all he does throughout the rest of the movie.

After that we of course are introduced to Nick Fury and Natasha's roles on SHIELD. Nick gives Tony gives some of his father's stuff. With them he learns that his father paved the way for him to discover a new element that will allow him to survive. So the whole "Tony's dying" thing is revealed to also be pointless. He didn't develop at all with this, all he learned was that his father loved him after all(Which btw has nothing to do with the rest of the movie, it comes the heck out of nowhere). Pointless.

After that Tony and Rhody destroy Rourke's army and defeat his new suit disappointly fast and easy. End.

This movie is incredibly disappointing. I sure hope Iron Man 3 will be better.

Joss Whedon should have supervised the writing for this movie like he did for Captain America.

I know this is spoilers, but I do have a question for those of you who have seen it and people that have seen Thor too.

At the end of Thor, it shows Loki controlling Erik Selvig, what exactly does this lead up to?

Edited by Winston

I think the biggest weakness of Iron Man 2 was one that was prevalent in its predecessor, which was namely the villains taking a backseat for the lead characterization and the action. It feels a bit more offensive this time around when the villains are relatively interesting, especially since both Ivan Vanko and Justin Hammer are desperately competing at who's going to screw each over first.

That said, claiming Iron Man 2 isn't a movie about anything straight-faced is rather presumptuous. The premise obviously revolves around Stark having abandoned his weapon-manufacturing ways but at the same time becoming a superstar celebrity. The congress scene in particular sets up the fact that he has no intention on ever sharing his shit with the good guys. His ego is what keeps the movie spinning as he's being gunned down by a man with a vendetta against his family line, a rival weapons manufacturer who wants the Iron Man technology and his best friend who is starting to reconsider whether or not Stark's irrational behavior induced by his ego makes him worthy of carrying a potentially destructive weapon like that. Because of Vanko's intervention at the racing track, people finally start to question Stark's "high status". Couple that with the pressure of his worsening heart condition he hits the bottle, because his birthday party was, as he assumed, the last one he would experience.

Rhodey doesn't steal the armor to save the party goers, who for all intent's worth were enjoying the show. He takes it to subdue him because he's fed up with his antics and gives the technology to the military who could actually put it to "responsible" use.

The movie isn't about Iron Man developing into being a team player. It's about him improving his ego, which he succeeds at doing because of Nick Fury's assisting intervention and the revelation about his dad, and I'd like to think the movie succeeds really well at improving Stark's motivations.

EDIT:

I know this is spoilers, but I do have a question for those of you who have seen it and people that have seen Thor too.

At the end of Thor, it shows Loki controlling Erik Selvig, what exactly does this lead up to?

Erik ends up being possessed by Loki's scepter while working for S.H.I.E.L.D. to harness the Tesseract and he builds the portal which leads Loki's Chitauri army to earth.

He also ends up possessing Hawkeye who for the first half of the movie serves Loki.

• Thumbs Up 3

EDIT:

Erik ends up being possessed by Loki's scepter while working for S.H.I.E.L.D. to harness the Tesseract and he builds the portal which leads Loki's Chitauri army to earth.

He also ends up possessing Hawkeye who for the first half of the movie serves Loki.

Ah, alright, thanks for clearing that up for me. biggrin.png

Does this film take place in New York because if so, it will be damn hard to explain in Amazing Spider-man? Not only that, this whole legal rights thing completely splinters Spider-man from the rest of the Avengers which kind of undermines his legacy of being in with everybody and knowing everybody within the Superhero community.

Edited by turbojet

Does this film take place in New York because if so, it will be damn hard to explain in Amazing Spider-man? Not only that, this whole legal rights thing completely splinters Spider-man from the rest of the Avengers which kind of undermines his legacy of being in with everybody and knowing everybody within the Superhero community.

Well, Spidey did appear in the Incredible Hulk, and the final battle was in New York, so Spidey could possibly have a cameo. XP

Well, Spidey did appear in the Incredible Hulk, and the final battle was in New York, so Spidey could possibly have a cameo. XP

No offence, but I think that's just some dude getting thrown.

No offence, but I think that's just some dude getting thrown.

Maybe it is, maybe it isn't, you'll never know, only Edward Norton knows.

I kind of figured plot points from Capt. America and Thor would lead up to this movie, ahh well that just means I got to pay a quick trip to Best Buy. Normally I'd be annoyed at this kind of thing, but it works in this case and it makes the entire series feel like something complete rather than a bunch of disconnected stories that have little in common. That's the beauty of this movie, its like one tightly knit quilt of awesome.

I do kind of have to agree on Iron Man 2, I mean its not exactly a bad movie but like Carbo said, the villains take a backseat to most of the action, which is a shame because Marko was such an intersting character and I wish his and Tony's relationship was given just a bit more light, not that what we had wasn't bad either thought.

Saw it last night; it was much, much better than I expected. While I doubt I'll enjoy it as much as I will Amazing Spider-Man or The Dark Knight Rises, I did very much enjoy the movie and I'm glad I gave it a chance.

The writing was witty, the characters were very well done, the action scenes were absolutely fantastic, and the production values were through the roof. As a person who really didn't like Marvel's other movies, I can definitely say that this one went above and beyond the others.

• Thumbs Up 1

Do I just came back from seeing The Avengers. Let me just state that, after all the fantastic reviews, I had EXTREMELY HIGH expectations. Like "One of the best films I will ever see" expectations. The Avengers not only managed to surpass my expectations, they blew my mind.

This film is not just a fantastic mind-blowing jawdropping amazing superhero film, it is without a doubt in my mind, an absolutely outstanding jawdropping fantastic amazing film. This film is very well made.

There are a couple of reasons.

Heart.

This film thrives on heart. There are some very emotional scenes in this film. I actually was tearing up at points. This film isn't just a straight up action film like one would think a film about a team of superheros would be. The team behind this film obviously knew better than that. They knew that this film should be more than just action and they delivered on it.

The Characters.

This is the driving force of the film and my gawd is it executed amazingly. Every. single. character. gets a decent amount of screen time. This feels like a team film. Everyone gets some really fantastic and memorable moments. The film team knew the characters were the heart of this film and they made sure to use this to their advantage. Each character develops, is well written and they all interact with eachother brilliantly. They're entertaining, likable and you feel invested in these characters. Thankfully, not only is the writing good, the acting and chemistry is flawless. When I see these characters, I see them. Not Chris Evans. Not Robert Downey Jr. Not Mark Ruffalo. I see the characters. All the actors in the film, hit it out of the park.

Action.

This is no surprise. The action is phenomenal. It is amazingly directed and is easy to follow and pulls you in. These action scenes really make you feel that these characters are powerful. It is fantastic. Especially in the third act, which is pretty much like a superhero war movie. The scale is big and a spectacle. the CGI is fantastic and the performances are great. Loki is an awesome villain.

Overall, there isn't a problem I have with this film. It has a basic story that allows the characters to shine and grow. The characters really do grow and develop off eachother. The action is great and never feels unnecesary and the third act is a war film practically and the scale is amazing. the CGI and special effects are fantastic. The film has tons of heart and emotion. This film delivered more than I could have hoped.

When the film ended, people were extremely amazed by the film. "It was impressive how they gave everyone screen time" "That film was amazing." :The action was mindblowing." "The characters were great!"

Oh on one last note, this was the first film I saw in modern 3D. It's pretty good. Not gimmicky like I was fearing. All it is, is like an emphasis on depth perception. Didn't distract or detract from the film. Didn't really add anything either but it was pretty neat.

Also, FUCK YEAH, THANOS!

EDIT:

I forgot one thing.

Humor.

This film is serious for the most part but it has some hilarious moments. I won't spoil any of them but they were great.

"Hulk. Smash."

"Puny God"

"He's my brother." "He killed eighty people in two days." "He's adopted."

"Loki, listen to me."*thor gets tackled by Iron-Man* "... I'm listening."

Edited by PeanutButterDimond
  • Thumbs Up 2

This movie was AMAZING! I went in with high expectations, REALLY high expectations and they were exceeded! Everything was done nearly perfectly for me. The action, the characterization, the writing, the often witty and often very humorous dialogue, everything. As for a more detailed breakdown, I can't rally add anything because PBD pretty said what I was about to say, so I'll just quote that.

Do I just came back from seeing The Avengers. Let me just state that, after all the fantastic reviews, I had EXTREMELY HIGHexpectations. Like "One of the best films I will ever see" expectations. The Avengers not only managed to surpass my expectations, they blew my mind.

This film is not just a fantastic mind-blowing jawdropping amazing superhero film, it is without a doubt in my mind, an absolutely outstanding jawdropping fantastic amazing film. This film is very well made.

There are a couple of reasons.

Heart.

This film thrives on heart. There are some very emotional scenes in this film. I actually was tearing up at points. This film isn't just a straight up action film like one would think a film about a team of superheros would be. The team behind this film obviously knew better than that. They knew that this film should be more than just action and they delivered on it.

The Characters.

This is the driving force of the film and my gawd is it executed amazingly. Every. single. character. gets a decent amount of screen time. This feels like a team film. Everyone gets some really fantastic and memorable moments. The film team knew the characters were the heart of this film and they made sure to use this to their advantage. Each character develops, is well written and they all interact with eachother brilliantly. They're entertaining, likable and you feel invested in these characters. Thankfully, not only is the writing good, the acting and chemistry is flawless. When I see these characters, I see them. Not Chris Evans. Not Robert Downey Jr. Not Mark Ruffalo. I see the characters. All the actors in the film, hit it out of the park.

Action.

This is no surprise. The action is phenomenal. It is amazingly directed and is easy to follow and pulls you in. These action scenes really make you feel that these characters are powerful. It is fantastic. Especially in the third act, which is pretty much like a superhero war movie. The scale is big and a spectacle. the CGI is fantastic and the performances are great. Loki is an awesome villain.

Overall, there isn't a problem I have with this film. It has a basic story that allows the characters to shine and grow. The characters really do grow and develop off eachother. The action is great and never feels unnecesary and the third act is a war film practically and the scale is amazing. the CGI and special effects are fantastic. The film has tons of heart and emotion. This film delivered more than I could have hoped.

When the film ended, people were extremely amazed by the film. "It was impressive how they gave everyone screen time" "That film was amazing." :The action was mindblowing." "The characters were great!"

Oh on one last note, this was the first film I saw in modern 3D. It's pretty good. Not gimmicky like I was fearing. All it is, is like an emphasis on depth perception. Didn't distract or detract from the film. Didn't really add anything either but it was pretty neat.

Also, FUCK YEAH, THANOS!

EDIT:

I forgot one thing.

Humor.

This film is serious for the most part but it has some hilarious moments. I won't spoil any of them but they were great.

"Hulk. Smash."

"Puny Human"

"He's my brother." "He killed eighty people in two days." "He's adopted."

"Loki, listen to me."*thor gets tackled by Iron-Man* "... I'm listening."

What I'm going to do is a different type of breakdown, something I was thinking about as I left the theatre. All the heroes have very different fighting styles, so in my head I started giving them sort of "Classes" inspired by games like WFC and TF2. So let's get this started, and spoilerd because while it contains no huge spoilers, it contains some very specific details about certain scenes.

CAPTAIN AMERICA: The Soldier: Not insanely powerful like some of the other heroes, fights in more of a traditional hands on manner with his shield, and sometimes his fists and even a gun at one point. But he is still a great aid in a fight because of his shield and enhanced, "Super Soldier", body.

IRON MAN: The Interceptor: Attacks fast and often from the air. Most of his fighting involves him attacking from flight, and even in the ground-based fight with Thor in the forest, he did many sorts of dashing attacks. Can also fit Brute to a small extent but fits Interceptor way better.

THE HULK: The Brute: Has the most raw power by far. His fighting strategy is simple: destroy anything (more the enemy but he doesn't care about collateral) in his path (or if you want to put it that way, HULK SMASH!). Basically acts like a tank (doesn't use much strategy) with all his raw power, and he uses it to great effect.

HAWKEYE: The Sniper: Self explanatory. Fights best when he's up on a perch or behind cover and can just pick off the goons. If he needs too, he can use his projectiles up close or get into hand to hand combat, as the movie shows. But his true worth lies in his

marksmanship, and his special modern arrows help too.

BLACK WIDOW: The Assassin/The Spy: Has the least raw power out of all of them, and doesn't have any special weapons either. Is extremely proficient at hand to hand combat, but that's not as effective against the aliens as some of the other heroes's weapons and techniques. She has to rely on more stealth and strategy, and she shows it several times throughout.

THOR: ?: I'm honestly not sure where to class Thor. His fighting style is similar to a soldier class, with his attacking with his hammer and all, but his power is more akin to that of a brute, with him actually standing a chance against Hulk on the Helicarrier, and the fact that his hammer is godly powerful. So I might call him a weird mix of a Soldier and Brute class.

Now here's some specific thoughts on the movie (As opposed the the more breakdown thing that PBD did way better then I ever could) about things that stuck out to me. Again spolierd just to be safe. No specific things but yadda yadda yadda.

-Hulk had the best moment in the movie. It was both badass and laugh-out-loud hilarious at the same time! It was the scene with Loki in Stark Tower. Loki starts going on about how he's a god and he's better then humans and such, actually getting Hulk to stop, making you think Loki might actually get him to de-transform but NOPE! Hulk Testa. Hulk grabs him and gives him delicious punishment with extreme prejudice, and leaves Loki hurting with a "Da fuck just happened to me?" look on his face! Awesome.

-I loved how Iron Man basically played his own theme song as he showed up to help Captain America in Germany, playing, "Shoot To Thrill", in Black Widow's comms as he landed.

-*"Batman is playing Galaga"* *Shows one of the SHIELD agents off task playing Galaga* Hilarious.

I may add more later.

So anyway, amazing movie, best of the year so far, 9.5/10.

Edited by Chaos Warp
  • Thumbs Up 2

OMG THE AVENGERS

OMG BEST SUPER HERO MOVIE EVER

OMG THEY MADE THE HULK AWESOME

OMG THE SCENE IN THE MIDDLE OF CREDITS (FORESHADOWING!!!)

OMG THE SCENE AT THE VERY VERY END OF THE CREDITS (I damn near wet myself)

GO SEE THIS MOVIE

Seriously, THANOS?!?! The next AVENGERS movie is gonna be flipping awesome. Sucks we'll probably be waiting at least two years for it.

• Thumbs Up 2

Marvel Studio's much-anticipated superhero action flick brought in $200.3 million opening weekend

The Hulk is a smash.

Marvel Studio's "The Avengers" stomped all over box office records on its way to earning $200.3 million in its debut - the greatest opening weekend of all time.

The movie, which brings together several super hero franchises (Iron Man, The Hulk, Captain America and Thor) within in a bigger franchise, easily surpassed the $169.2 million notched by previous record-holder, last year's "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2."

The super hero blockbuster also earned $151 million more overseas - it opened on April 25 in some territories -- bringing its worldwide total to an estimated $641.8 million.

"The $200 million opening weekend is just like Sasquatch, it's something I thought I would never actually see," says Paul Dergarabedian, box office analyst for Hollywood.com. "This is the four-minute mile at the box office, a mark I never thought we'd see broken."

"The word of mouth is so incredible on this film, it just keeps building and building, and movie theaters kept having to add showings. The marketplace was expanding to accommodate the demand."

Though it finished $10.6 million behind "Deathly Hallows Part 2's" Friday record of $91.1 million, "The Avengers" finished strong to set the highest Saturday gross ever with $69.7 million.

The Avengers" finished so far ahead of the pack in the box office race that it made Secretariat's 1973 Belmont Stakes win look like a nail-biter, but there were other movies that took money in at the multiplex.

Sony Screen Gems' "Think Like a Man," which held on to the top spot over the past two weekends, finished second with $8 million. Lionsgate's "The Hunger Games' finished third with $5.7 million but that total helped the movie edge into 14th place all time domestically with $380.7 million.

"The Avengers" kicks off what many prognosticators - including Dergarabedian - say could be the biggest summer movie season of all time, with "Men In Black 3," "Snow White and the Huntsman," "Prometheus," "The Amazing Spider-Man," "G.I. Joe: Retribution," and "The Dark Knight Rises" arriving in theaters over the coming months.

Source: NY Daily News

Taken from Box Office Mojo:

RuDkt.png

On to something that made me tear up in the film.

I still can't believed they offed Coulson. I didn't even know he was a fan favourite and a breakout character until day. I loved the character ever since Iron Man. His death scene was great though. Fantastically written and acted. It served the great purpose of getting the Avengers together. The future MCU films will feel empty without him though. Unless he's actually alive and Fury lied(Because Fury would definitely be manipulative enough to do) or the Coulson that was killed was actually an LMD(Which Fiege didn't rule out).

I wonder why Marvel decided to kill of such a fan favourite character? I feel bad for poor Whedon though. Considering his record for killing off beloved characters, people who don't know Marvel made the decision and Whedon wanted Coulson to live, will definitely blame him for it.

Edited by PeanutButterDimond

Okay for the people that left before the credits ended, I feel sorry for you cause you missed one of the best parts of the movie!

Okay for the people that left before the credits ended, I feel sorry for you cause you missed one of the best parts of the movie!

As I said before, I damn near wet myself during that scene. There weren't too many people left in the theatre at that point, but we were all losing it. It was just the perfect ending to the movie.

Wait, there was ANOTHER after-credits scene? I thought the one revealing

Thanos

was the big after-credits scene.

Wait, there was ANOTHER after-credits scene? I thought the one revealing

Thanos

was the big after-credits scene.

That was the mid credits scene. The US release has a scene after the credits.