Awoo.

Marvel Cinematic Multiverse | Official Thread For Movies and D+ Shows

Jacky

Ugh. I'm gonna avoid a rant on actors complaining about a paycheck that's in the tens of millions.

I saw Iron Man 3! Was great like 2; I've yet to see 1. I will say Iron Man is probably my favorite human superhero simply because Tony Stark is just such a complete douchebag. It's really refreshing to see a hero who isn't a goody two shoes. Stark's like Batman, but doesn't scream tons of depression and angst whenever you interact with him. He knows he's the shit, lets you know he is anyway, and then proves it when push comes to shove.

While this is the cinematic topic, I also discovered today that Roger Craig Smith is to voice Captain America in the Avengers Assemble cartoon. Well there you have it mates. If you thought Sonic couldn't get any more American...

• Thumbs Up 1

I really did not feel much with Iron Man 3. Then again, I didn't like Iron Man 2 so I guess that was predictable. Iron Man 3 was better, but the whole Mandarin thing annoyed me and the bait and switch was predictable. I'm so desperately trying to like Iron Man villains, but they are kind of lame in general.

So I heard that they are doing some new Runaways movie or some shit.

I felt the exact opposite... I absolutely loved IM3, and didn't see the twist coming at all. I honestly don't mind the change they made with Mandarin, considering I didn't even know who he was until the film came out.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm so desperately trying to like Iron Man villains, but they are kind of lame in general.

I'm sure someone's going to argue with me on this, but in general I find DC is better at making villains while Marvel is better at making heroes.

I'm sure someone's going to argue with me on this, but in general I find DC is better at making villains while Marvel is better at making heroes.

Depends on the villains who you are talking about. Of course, Marvel would be better at making heroes as they mainly focus on characterizations of heroes. You can tell that in how they make their movies. Marvel would not ever make a Dark Knight as they constantly have to focus on how the hero is doing or feeling.

Just got back from seeing Iron Man 3, and I have to say, I had a blast! Definitely a huge step up from Iron Man 2, though I wouldn't quite put it on the level of the first one.

First teaser of that show Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D. 

Coulson lives, fuck yeah! If he's alive, this must take place before The Avengers. Interested in this.

They confirmed it takes place after.

Well damn, that kinda ruins the emotional weight of Coulson's death......I didn't expect them to go back on that. 

Me neither. But resurrection happens in the comics all the time.

I wonder how they're going to explain it.............

I wonder how they're going to explain it.............

Marvel sure loves LMDs (Life Model Decoys) when we are talking about SHIELD's agents. That's problably how he "never died" and I don't doubt that they take the "Fury planned all this shit" route.

edit: 100 posts! woot.

Edited by ViniciusLC

Okay, since we are talking about the Avengers in this thread, if there is one character who absolutely should not be in the next movie, it is Hank Pym. Why? He is a fucking asshole. The character is an old shame of Marvel and he always has been. To show what I mean, here are a few panels.

tumblr_m4c9e06SRz1qim7uj.jpg

Yes, that is Giant-man hitting his wife, The Wasp. Although the context of this is kind of off as there was a mis-communication between the writers and artists. The scene was supposed to convey as if he struck her by accident, but artist went full on backhand with it. Of course, since then, his character has always been portrayed as a wife beater, but has always went to therapy for his actions and has been somewhat reformed...until the Ultimates.

Now for those who don't know, the Ultimate Universe in general, with the exception of people in the Spider-man universe, the Thing, Susan Reeds, Kitty Pryde, and the few others, are a bunch of assholes compared to their counterparts. Captain America is a douche because he still retains the values from the time he came from although he isn't racist(he helped Black Panther and generally respects Nick Fury), he had a problem with women going to the battlefield. He has since outgrown this, but he is still kind of a dick. The Hulk eats people although it is not because he likes to taste, but to get back at Bruce Banners vegetarian antics since the Hulk is essentially Banner's subconscious desires. Black Widow is a traitor, and Hawkeye kills people. Iron Man is the only person in the Ultimates who is actually nicer than his counterpart and a lot more laid back. In fact, his characterization mostly resembles the one we see in the movies. Hank Pym, however, somehow manages to be a bigger monster than a person who eats people. Hank Pym, in the Ultimate universe, has always been a sad sack of shit that let his insecurity run rampant. His wife did what she could to bolster him by keeping her mutant nature secret from him so he could take credit for the growth serum. The definition of an asshole.

tumblr_m4c9e6WfPU1qim7uj.jpg

Oh, don't worry. It gets worse. He felt embarrassed because the asshole got his ass handed to him by the Hulk. He also was annoyed with his wife's "friendship" with Captain America. Because it was apparently her fault that she felt comfortable around self-assured men. So they argued and the above scene happened. I kind of wished that it stopped there, but Wasp decided to shrink in order to get away from her husband. Hank being prepared pulled out bug spray and knocked her out. 

tumblr_m4cb2utbku1qim7uj.jpg

And this is where most people stopped reading the Ultimates. Holy fucking shit, I know darker characters, but this was taking it too far. Of course, Divine Retribution kicked in and it is all of the sudden a good thing that Captain America is an asshole because he beat the shit out of Pym and then kicked him off the team.

Yes, we can't neglect his one decent incarnation as of late. EMH Ant-Man, if nothing else, proves that there is indeed some good character lurking underneath that goofy ant suit.

And for the record, that slap has been blown far out of proportion. Ant-Man is no longer a character to Marvel, he's become just this thing that hates the Wasp while being a smug jerkface.

And again for the record, y'know Loeb? The guy in charge of the new Avengers show? He wrote that issue of Ultimates. Yay.

Edited by Sixth-Rate Soma
  • Thumbs Up 1

So Iron Man 3 was amazing (Only Iron Man I've seen - they took down the first two off netflix awwww). Don't stay after the credits.. isn't worth waiting 10 minutes of names for. Just search for it on the interwebs.

So Iron Man 3 was amazing (Only Iron Man I've seen - they took down the first two off netflix awwww). Don't stay after the credits.. isn't worth waiting 10 minutes of names for. Just search for it on the interwebs.

Its a pretty hilarious outtake if you've seen The Avengers and the Incredible Hulk.

This topic should be about the comics too.

I have been reading Superior Spider-Man and Doc Ock is such a horrible character.

Spoiler:

He erased Peter's mind in Issue 9.

This topic should be about the comics too.

I have been reading Superior Spider-Man and Doc Ock is such a horrible character.

Spoiler:

He erased Peter's mind in Issue 9.

I think there's already a thread for the comics or at least there's a thread about the where that particular plot is being talked about.

Loved Iron Man 3, honestly think that it's the best one of the trilogy, mainly because it didn't have that boring middle section most superhero movies have. That boring middle section? Where the superhero in question faces a crisis of conscience, and does non-superheroey things for what feels like ages.

Iron Man had it, in the section where the Iron Monger is created. Iron Man 2? Drunken Tony (though this is mainly due to Don Cheadle not really being believable as Rhodes, something he'd rectified by IM3). The Avengers? When the team meet up on the Helicarrier and just fart about, not getting along.

Hell, we could move into other series - Spider-Man 3 & Emo Parker. Spider-Man 2 and pretty much anything to do with Mary Jane. The Dark Knight trilogy has long periods of Bruce Wayne or the big bad not really doing a lot, advancing the plot in directions that it doesn't really need to (not Marvel, I know, but still relevant).

With Iron Man 3, the "boring" middle section is obviously where:

Tony's mansion is destroyed along with all but one of his suits, right up to the reveal of the real Mandarin

However, it's done in such a way that this part of the story, which would've otherwise plodded along, is actually injected with a little bit of humour thanks to Obligatory Inspirational Child & a brilliant one-liner from JARVIS. Really did help me to keep my attention on the film I was watching and not let my attention divert itself elsewhere.

I did have reservations about Shane Black, especially as his last two movie projects seemed dead in the water, or just plain hated (US adaptions of Death Note & Akira), but yeah, I enjoyed it. Hopefully it's not the last stand alone Iron Man film, because I'd like to see what he could do with a film that didn't have to follow on from The Avengers.