Awoo.

Marvel Cinematic Multiverse | Official Thread For Movies and D+ Shows

Jacky

The biggest worry you'll need to have with Spider-verse is Sony running it into the ground via spin-offs, and/or Venom.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Balding Spider said:

The biggest worry you'll need to have with Spider-verse is Sony running it into the ground via spin-offs, and/or Venom.

That's sort of my point. I don't trust Sony to handle this well. Spider-Verse was bold, unique, and a love letter to Spidey fans. It comes out, not only redeems a animation studio known for garbage tier movies at worst, and mediocre to average films at best, becomes thrown around as the best Spidey film to date (rightfully so), and garners tons of academy and critical praise. 

That's just prime chance for Sony to run it into the ground, which is highly possible, given IIRC - there's currently already a sequel, and multiple spin-offs planned for it, as well as a cinematic universe being built around Venom, which is also implied to be apart of the Spider-Verse canon.

It will be nice to see how they explain why he's not in the next team up movie.

I cant give my proper thoughts now. Only that it cements my decision on not trying to focus on the big narrative and watch all films like I did for the infinity saga. I'll just stick to the ones I want to watch and if it ties to something that I wasnt interested I'll just read up on it.

BTW, Sony has officially confirmed that Spidey is out of the MCU for now. I figure there will be more news in the coming days, but at the moment Sony still has a deal with Holland for at least one or two more movies, so it's safe to say a Far From Home sequel will retain much of the same cast with some obvious exceptions (like Samuel L. Jackson and Jon Favreau) and quite possibly most of the same behind the scenes people - Kevin Feige being the notable exception.

On 8/21/2019 at 6:44 AM, GentlemanX said:

BTW, Sony has officially confirmed that Spidey is out of the MCU for now. I figure there will be more news in the coming days, but at the moment Sony still has a deal with Holland for at least one or two more movies, so it's safe to say a Far From Home sequel will retain much of the same cast with some obvious exceptions (like Samuel L. Jackson and Jon Favreau) and quite possibly most of the same behind the scenes people - Kevin Feige being the notable exception.

Nope. If Sony go ahead and take Spidey out of the MCU Sony won't be able to reference ANYTHING that has gone before i.e. from 'Captain America: Civil War' all the way up to 'Far From Home'. Without a partnership with Disney/Marvel Studios , they won't be aloud to. Yes , they will still have Tom Holland but that's all folks. 

I mean, that's true for the crossover elements obviously, Sony does not have the rights to Nick Fury, Tony Stark, etc  but not the actual Spider-Man stuff from Homecoming and Far From Home, which are both Sony movies. It's not like they're forbidden from telling a story where J. Jonah Jameson reveals Peter Parker is Spider-Man among other things. It's not like they've lost the rights to Aunt May, Ned Leeds, MJ, or Flash Thompson.

1 hour ago, GentlemanX said:

I mean, that's true for the crossover elements obviously, Sony does not have the rights to Nick Fury, Tony Stark, etc  but not the actual Spider-Man stuff from Homecoming and Far From Home, which are both Sony movies. It's not like they're forbidden from telling a story where J. Jonah Jameson reveals Peter Parker is Spider-Man among other things. It's not like they've lost the rights to Aunt May, Ned Leeds, MJ, or Flash Thompson.

Why did J.Jonah Jameson reveal who Spiderman really is? Cuz Mysterio said his name in a video said Spiderman was using Stark tech to kill him. Why did Mysterio frame Spider Man? As a way to get back at Peter for stopping his plans to use what now... say it with me... STARK technology. Why did Mysterio care to use this tech. Cuz he was written to have worked for who... again say it with me.. Tony Stark.

Both Homecoming and Far From Home's stuff and story is filled with connections with the MCU that if you try to take it out all you get is Peter going to High school and going on a plane to Europe and returning with nothing happening.

• Thumbs Up 1

Clearly next movie Spider-man will vaguely talk about 'eye patch guy' and 'big hero team', only for Green Goblin to throw them into Limbo or something. Then Crossover with Megaman will happen and Spider-man will come into new reality, closer to source material.

• Chuckle 1

I really don't think some people realize how easy it is for a movie to just not mention things. Yes, Homecoming and Far From Home played up that they were connected to the MCU - I don't think there's any disputing that. But as far as Peter's status quo - that's super easy to sidestep. You tell a story about Peter and his friends in New York involving Spider-Man villains.

What happened in Homecoming? Spider-Man fought the Vulture. What happened in Far From Home? Spider-Man fought Mysterio in Europe. You don't need to reference MCU stuff to get the point across that the key events of those movies happened. Is it going to be awkward that Peter doesn't use Edith or name drop the Avengers or Shield? Yeah, obviously. But not to a distracting degree when the movie is going to be having a ton of other things to talk about with the actual Spider-Man material. If Marvel somehow lost the rights to Guardians of the Galaxy but a third movie used the same cast and crew - would it be awkward that Thor isn't with them anymore and that no one directly references Thanos or the people on Earth? Sure, but you'd still have a story where Quill and the crew deal with cosmic threats and potentially reconnect with Gamora who for reasons they don't talk about doesn't remember them anymore. It is super easy for any competent writer to take these stories and make them self contained.

52 minutes ago, GentlemanX said:

Is it going to be awkward that Peter doesn't use Edith or name drop the Avengers or Shield? Yeah, obviously. But not to a distracting degree

Uh, gonna beg to differ,  especially regarding Edith.  That's like the equivalent of just side-stepping an infinity stone out of the plot. Pretty big deal.

Not to mention matters with folk like Happy, especially considering how FFH ended.

Well Kevin Feige talked about it now and man, it is such a PR lie.

“I’m feeling about Spider-Man gratitude and joy. We got to make five films within the MCU with Spider-Man: two standalone films and three with the Avengers. It was a dream that I never thought would happen. It was never meant to last forever. We knew there was a finite amount of time that we’d be able to do this, and we told the story we wanted to tell, and I’ll always be thankful for that.”

If you told the story you wanted to tell, why did you end Far from Home the way you did?

It's so painfully obvious that this Spidey's story was meant to be at least three movies long, probably four if the two remaining movies with Sony were planned for the MCU. FFH is a terrible conclusion for this Spidey's story because it feels like the middle portion of his story. He starts his journey in Homecoming wanting to be a big time hero, ends up dealing with the consequences of that decision in IW/Endgame when he was killed by Thanos, and FFH represents him actively being terrified of the idea of becoming the next big hero. He wants to be a small-time hero, and is dealing with the pressure of Iron Man's legacy as a hero, and the fact he's now the only real remaining big hero without Iron Man, Thor, and Cap.

Spoiler

Far from Home only just had him realising the core element of a Spider-Man, you've gotta do it your own way, not copying someone else, and then it dealt with the fact that Peter was about to have his role as the next big hero ripped from him cruelly. It really clearly is not the conclusive piece of the puzzle.

On the bright side

we finally got the release date of Black Panther 2!

• Thumbs Up 1

Why do I have the sneaking suspicion that Storm from the Xmen will be in it? (Since they got married in the comics that one time.)

• Thumbs Up 1

OMG, May 6 2002! we missed it when we went back in time :D!

/joke based on image, not the words.

We're also getting Disney+ series on Miss Marvel, Moon Knight and She-Hulk. Fiege also confirmed that characters from the D+ series will show up in movies so a step up from the Netflix package.

I went to see FFH with my friends and gf twice because we were told by the media that Marvel would only be allowed to keep Spidey in the MCU and make another movie if FFH reaches 1 billion. I know our extra couple of tickets didn't added much, but the movie did got there and I was happy... That was the plan! But now they pull this crap and we won't get the movie neverthless 😧

So this is what is like to loose... Felt so desperately that I was right, yet I failed all the same.

On 8/25/2019 at 6:40 AM, Jovahexeon Ogilvie Maurice said:

And so, straight from the horse's mouth, it has apparently now been put in that Spider-Man won't be returning to the MCU.

Well there's always the other, well, I wanna say Peter has like 10 comic-books right now though I'm sure that will be diminished soon.

14 hours ago, Jango said:

I went to see FFH with my friends and gf twice because we were told by the media that Marvel would only be allowed to keep Spidey in the MCU and make another movie if FFH reaches 1 billion. I know our extra couple of tickets didn't added much, but the movie did got there and I was happy... That was the plan! But now they pull this crap and we won't get the movie neverthless 😧

So this is what is like to loose... Felt so desperately that I was right, yet I failed all the same.

This is some Capcom test bullshit right here.

• 1 month later...
8 minutes ago, Jango said:

Phew. Guess watching the movie twice actually worked. I'm glad my money didn't went to waste. Good going Spidey.

I doubt watching the movie twice had any effect since Sony went back on their word and took him out after the fact.

What’s more likely is that it was a negotiation tactic. The guy who leaked the Fox buyout before it happened commented saying that he heavily doubted Spidey was removed, and Sony was trying to lowball Disney by applying pressure through news outlets and fan outcry by claiming the door was closed.

Thank god, I like this era where we can have both MCU Spidey and stuff like Spider Verse. Sony getting full control of the rights to continue their idiotic Spider Cinematic Universe is the worst case scenario for all involved in my opinion.