Awoo.

Marvel Cinematic Multiverse | Official Thread For Movies and D+ Shows

Jacky

After the ending of Far From Home, I'm not sure how excited I am for the future of an MCU Spider-Man. I really didn't like how it ended.

5 minutes ago, Marcello said:

After the ending of Far From Home, I'm not sure how excited I am for the future of an MCU Spider-Man. I really didn't like how it ended.

Same honestly, but granted, I’m intrigued at least. If handled well, it could be an incredible shakeup of the mythos, potentially Civil War’s identity revealed plot line done correctly.

But they better not pull what they did with May where it seemed to be a huge deal when she discovered Peter’s identity, only for it to ultimately be resolved off screen. As much as I liked FFH, it frustrates the hell out of me that they didn’t bother to even touch how May felt about Peter performing super heroics in favour of a dumb Happy Hogan subplot.

Official sources?
Anyway, it's a safe bet the third movie will be a conclusive one dealing with the Sinister Six teased at the end of Homecoming and potentially ending with Peter's death. Sounds the ideal way for Marvel Studios to get the cake and eat it before the deal with Sony is over. And if the deal manages to continue or the rights fall back entirely on Disney for one reason or another, they can find an easy excuse to either bring him back to life or introduce Miles Morales.

Point being, right now MS is in a good position to handle the situation in multiple ways.

1 hour ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

I doubt watching the movie twice had any effect since Sony went back on their word and took him out after the fact.

Nah fam, it was all thanks to me. You guys own me a big thank you and a laaaarge bucket of pop-corn :P (I was joking back there, just as I am now).

Heard some new outlets say Sony bend the knee at the news that Feige is producing the next Star wars film.

But we will be back here in a few years. Heard the deal was for the conclusion of his triology and one more team up or in universe appearance

• 2 months later...

Predictably, the trailer isn’t doing much to excite me. It’s a bad start to Phase 4 IMO, not only is it a prequel set before the majority of the films in the series, which also little to no effect on the universe due to Endgame’s events, but it seems weird to start off what should be a fresh start after the Infinity Saga with a movie which is still pretty much directly tied to the Infinity Saga since it takes place during that time period.

I'm excited. Granted it's not the edge of my seat like infinity war or endgame. But I'm liking it. It's a giving that the only reason this movie is happening is because Yelena is going to be the next Black Widow. So it's a send off for Natasha and an origin story for Yelena.

Admittedly I originally  wasnt looking forward to this as much as the other phase 4 films, but this trailer has me hyped. As for when it takes place,  rumors state it's right after Civil War, which is strange choice.

• 9 months later...

New trailer for Wandavision:

Spoiler

So, Scarlet and Vision are now essentially trapped into a mystical version of the Truman Show (possibly created by Wanda herself)?

Also, cool to see the original costumes for both integrated in some fashion.

• Thumbs Up 1

I’m definitely in the “Wanda caused this” camp. The premise and build up very much reminds me of House of M.

• Thumbs Up 1

Wandavision looks great. I really like these weirder superhero shows like Doom Patrol. 

It's doubly nice, as I really disliked Wanda and Vision in the movies. So making them likeable here would be nice. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 months later...

Updates and new reveals from the Disney Investor Day:

*Wandavision gets a new trailer, confirmation again that's it's gonna be important towards the events of Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness, but the reveal is that it will also be important for the third MCU Spider-Man movie (and considering people from the Raimi trilogy and the ASM duology are being casted for it, i have half an idea on what they mean by that).
*Xochitl Gomez being casted as America Chavez for Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness (here's hoping she's better than in the comics)
*Trailer for Falcon and the Winter Soldier, the series arrives on March 19th 2021
*confirmation that the Black Widow movie will release in theatres
*new teaser for the Loki series, launches in May 2021
*new teaser for What if...? series, it's CGI animation. Marvel Zombies confirmed to be one of the highlights of the series.
*teasers for the Ms. Marvel series, Khamala Khan confirmed to appear in Captain Marvel 2 along with Monica Rambeau
*Tatiana Maslany casted as She-Hulk for the omonimous series, Mark Ruffalo returns as Bruce Banner and (real surprise) so does Tim Roth as Abomination
*new series announces: Iron Heart (starring Dominique Thorne in the titular role), Armor Wars (with War Marchine still played by Don Cheedle), Secret Wars (with Nick Fury still played by Samuel L. Jackson and a character played by Ben Mendelsohn) and the Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special (still handled by James Gunn of course); there will also be a series of shorts centered around Baby Groot
*Christian Bale officially casted as Gorr the God Butcher for Thor: Love and Thunder, releasing May 6th 2022
*Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 3 will arrive in 2023
*Black Panther 2 releases officially July 8th 2022, confirmation that T'Challa will not be recasted
*we'll recieve news about the Blade MCU movie "soon"
*Third Ant-Man movie revealed, official title being Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania
*bomb of the day: official MCU Fantastic 4 movie in development, directed by Jon Watts

Cool stuff, here's hoping they'll be able to actually release them.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Minor news tied to projects that had already been announced:
*Spider-Man: No Way Home release date planned fo 12/17/2021
*Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness release date planned for 03/25/2022
*Black Panther 2 retitled without the serial number and the added subtitle Wakanda Forever: release date still planned for 7/8/2022
*Captain Marvel 2 retitled The Marvels: release date planned for 11/11/2022
*Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania release date planned for 02/17/2023
*Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 release date planned for 5/5/2023

Both the Fantastic Four and Blade movies are still TBA.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

About fucking time lol. The throwbacks tugged at my nostalgia strings as expected, but yeah this looks like a wild time. Still not sure about if this points to the other Spidey’s showing up tho, but certainly wouldn’t shock me.

(Bonus points if animated 2077 Spidey shows up somewhere to reference into the spider-verse 2, since he’s currently dimension hopping)

Daniel got everything right so far. Tobey and Andrew are to be expected, aswell as Charlie Cox, but Sony's probably saving them for a final trailer.

• 3 months later...

Loved No Way Home. Obviously I still need to let it sink in and re-watch when the Blu-ray comes out, but as of now, for me, it's easily the best MCU Spider-Man film and possibly MCU in general. I still prefer Spider-Man 2, but that's basically the perfect superhero movie to me.

Spoiler

The ending has me more excited for a Spider-Man movie than I've been since probably Spider-Man 2. Pete finally an adult, no Stark tech or anything and striking out on his own. The new suit looked more comic accurate, though with no raised webbing, sadly. Anyone know if there's a pic out in the wild?

Osborn is legit nuts and brutal and Dafoe really brought it. Fantastic.

MJ and May felt more like actual characters than before, so I really appreciated that. 

Garfield Spidey has become much more likeable to me. Really loved him. Making him more of a struggling, depressed, self-conscious loser made him so much more relatable. Which I guess is kinda sad lol

Tobey Pete felt more mellow and experienced than the other two. I liked that he had figured shit out in this new world and was already looking for Holland Spidey and knew of Ned and MJ, while Garfield Pete was more lost.

There were claps and excitement for both old Spidey, but for Tobey the guy two seats away from literally jumped out of his seat and yelled in excitement. Everyone also laughed and clapped at Osborn's scientist line. Never really see that here in Germany.

There were some things I wasn't really a fan of. Like Toby's line about Harry. He says Harry died in his arms after trying to kill him, but Harry died saving Pete. Sure he tried to kill him before, but I don't think Peter would remember it that way. It was only really to set up a joke about Ned promising to never kill his Peter.

MCU Pete still refuses to mention Ben lol It's cool that May gets the iconic line, but even when the other Pete's are talking about the deaths of their Bens, he doesn't mention him at all. Was kinda weird. 

Looking at my post at the top of this page, it's funny how much this movie changed my opinion lol

I loved it also, I went in with fairly low expectations, but came out pleasantly surprised! I like it more than Endgame, but don’t think it tops Spider-verse still for me, and I honestly think multiverse is gonna top it next year for me definitely, since I still think those guys did more clever things with the multiverse thing. I still think this movie was loads of fun, definitely the best of the Tom Holland Spider-Man movies.

• Thumbs Up 1

Whilst often caught up in the larger Endgame of things - the Tom Holland Spider-Man films have always had this sort of low-bar stakes non/appeal that isn't found in most MCU films these days which is refreshing for the most part in the areas it hits, especially with it's goofy humour and the adimancy to remain in the Teenage/school years of Spider-Man... unlike the other two on screen iterations.  

That being said this really was very nearly peak Spider-Man for me in terms of everything that happened.

Spoiler

First things first, I think we all knew the rumours going in, but to see them hit the nail on the head hard with a live action Spider Trio was nothing sort of amazing... spectacular even.

This was Spider-Man: No Way Fanservice.

It's literally all in there from a 20 year old update about Spider-Tobey's back crunching & Spider-Gunk speculation, to Garfields incredibly well earned Gwen redemption - and as the 0.1% fan represent that genuinely thinks Amazing Spider-Man 2 is a really good film, this moment hit me real hard. 

But then you got other payoff's to the character arc's of their own realities that we never got to learn more about and where they now could be headed, as well as the fantastic turns from the Villains in this movie. 

It's weird that Spider-Man 3 (and to a much lesser extent, ASM2) fumbled in the multi villain department... yet here each of the old foes got their time in the spotlight, and with their own motives and/or redemption arc's and it just sort of worked. I felt a kind of (perhaps ageist) cosmic relief to see elements of the original 5 movies have their Villains, well...  healed. Perhaps it is because the initial narrative device comes (as ever) from Holland's Spider-Man just trying to be a kid or doing something so earnestly kid like (and the story following through on this) is what helps, as opposed to the older and exhausted narrative trapping's of previous movies (and current MCU films). 

I think if there was anything I didn't like about this movie - it was the fact that the "make everyone forget Peter Parker" aspect felt a little bit too wishy washy of a convenient fix to the original (accidental) multiverse collapsing spell that started this mess.

I get it, (and sure it's no better than the "Cures" being handed out to each of the 5 Villains) - but I can't stop thinking about how plausible/fallible having "Peter Parker" erased from peoples minds is. I understand that it hasn't ceased everything previous to have happened - as it has - and everyone will still remember Spider-Man and that this it is just a simple memory eraser. But this would have felt a lot more convoluted if Tony Stark or Aunt May were still around. So... good job they aren't I suppose eh? I dunno. There's still much to the spell that doesn't make much sense to me considering it isn't "specifically" reality altering.  

Also finally giving Peter his official "Uncle Ben / With Great Power" moment (although honestly I thought Iron-Man was this universes' stand-in for this) was rewarding... just.

It's only a shame that it's taken until this movie to flesh out what this version of May (sweet FEAST reference BTW) and what she meant to Peter to make it just about earned for her to utter those immortal words at her end. It works because Uncle Ben really only get's about 10-20 minutes of screen time in the OG films before copping it compared to 3+ movies of this Peter's May. But my issue is that the other Aunt May's felt more meaningful to those Peter Parker's than the MCU's - who was the hip "cool" Aunt May - but still a badass at the end no doubt.  

But ultimately, I agree with @KHCast that Into the Spider-Verse is still king - and I think that's because it achieves everything it needs to without the lore of any other movie requiring it be watched first. The references are still fun in Spider-Verse, but not essential. Also, it's a Miles Morales movie first, and THAT in itself is refreshing as he spins himself into the Multiverse.

Spoiler

Something that’s been on my mind. So…all the villains come from different points in time in their respective universes…so sending them back, each of those villains own realities, the only change is them correct? As in, in Doc Oc’s reality he was sent back to, Osborn is still dead, and sandman’s events are likely to still kick off, etc. also, Tobey and Andrew’s Spider-Man return to universes where these events already happened, as Hulk explained in endgame, “you can’t change events that already happened”, so Tom changing the fates of the villains doesn’t really matter to those two right? Lastly, does Tom’s spell of “everyone forgetting Peter” apply to those two and their universes (and potentially others, if into the multiverse part 1 or 2 is effected). There are rumors apparently that Andrew might get a new Spider-Man film by Sony, so if that’s the case, we might see the knock-on effect of it if it does effect them

1 hour ago, KHCast said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Something that’s been on my mind. So…all the villains come from different points in time in their respective universes…so sending them back, each of those villains own realities, the only change is them correct? As in, in Doc Oc’s reality he was sent back to, Osborn is still dead, and sandman’s events are likely to still kick off, etc. also, Tobey and Andrew’s Spider-Man return to universes where these events already happened, as Hulk explained in endgame, “you can’t change events that already happened”, so Tom changing the fates of the villains doesn’t really matter to those two right? Lastly, does Tom’s spell of “everyone forgetting Peter” apply to those two and their universes (and potentially others, if into the multiverse part 1 or 2 is effected). There are rumors apparently that Andrew might get a new Spider-Man film by Sony, so if that’s the case, we might see the knock-on effect of it if it does effect them

Spoiler

That's one of the few things I feel was egregiously missing from the film. Showing us how the timelines were effected and getting shots of the characters back in their respective timelines, to see how things were effected, or if they really even were.