Awoo.

Ken Penders Scrapped Sonic Movie

DaddlerTheDalek

If people have looked on his forum out of curiosity or seen the preview section of one of the scripts he posted...you may not be so curious anymore.

It was terrible, Chaos Emeralds turned into some kind of generator/battery/energy source of a non descript nature. Knuckles almost being a side character named the "Praetorian" or some such. Vague references to the things he can't use to try and put some sort of semblance in it. And as people know...the art he's gunna end up using...ugh. Even out of the worst kind of morbid curiousity I wouldn't buy it.

Besides if my curiousity really got that bad I would just sneak a peak at the copy whoever the one person that buys it and no doubt ends up uploading it to the net for lol's, provides.

I'm becoming more and more surprised Penders didn't pull a Fred Wolf and claimed that he made Knuckles who he is and therefore should have free rein to use him how he wishes (for those wondering, Fred Wolf, who was responsible for the first TMNT animated series, sued Eastman and Laird for huge royalties because he claimed to have created everything about the TMNT that made them such a hit. Eastman and Laird put him in his place.). But lord, that does sound awful.

Edited by Zaysho

Penders' backgrounds and landscapes are decent, but the man can't draw Sonic characters, holy shit. They look like Raveakidd's Modern Sonic parody drawings.

A patch? Seriously?

Well, I suppose it's better than pug-face Lara-Su dolls. But wait, "Acorn"? Can Penders not completely let go of Archie Sonic stuff that he doesn't even have control of? I know "Acorn" itself can't be trademarked, but it's just ridiculous how he's finding little ways to still ride the series' coattails while acting like this is a unique product that can stand on its own.

Also, I see he mentions a first look at "Praetorian" coming soon... this is his Knuckles expy, right?

All I can say is: Wow... this would have been nominated for several razzies if this film was green-lighted. I've always wanted to see a theatrical Sonic film since I became a fan, but fuck, the drawings make it out to be more of the shameful melodramatic shit that caused the Dark Age of the Archie series. Those drawings... the worst one is with Snively and the Care Bear. Are those guts, or is that some parasitic worm? I didn't like some of the artists who worked with this guy, such as Rom Lin, but Jesus, I would take Lin's drawings over these. 

Personally, I still want to see a theatrical Sonic movie, but I want it to be given to a studio that loves the hedgehog, and will give us a kick-ass movie. Hell, I'll be part of the writing team if I could. I even have a few ideas for a Sonic movie. One idea could be a story of how Sonic became a member of the Freedom Fighters, that is with Sonic not knowing who the Freedom Fighters are, and they can use the new redesigns they've been given. That's what I want to see. I want to see a series of films dedicated to Sonic's adventures with the Freedom Fighters. However, I want these movies to be well-paced, well-written, have a nice voice-cast, and be given everyone's all on it. 
Hey, a boy can dream, can he?

A patch? Seriously?

Well, I suppose it's better than pug-face Lara-Su dolls. But wait, "Acorn"? Can Penders not completely let go of Archie Sonic stuff that he doesn't even have control of? I know "Acorn" itself can't be trademarked, but it's just ridiculous how he's finding little ways to still ride the series' coattails while acting like this is a unique product that can stand on its own.

Also, I see he mentions a first look at "Praetorian" coming soon... this is his Knuckles expy, right?

and i believe the patch is $10 order now and you'll get a copy of the lost ones we have so many in the ware because no one will buy it. silly jabs aside really cant imagine how the praetorian and the rest of his characters will look like 

Knowing that right now I could pick up a pencil and draw something with half my usual effort and have it come out better than his art feels absolutely wonderful.

I'm sure someone's already pointed it out but…is Sonic playing Sonic 1 on his computer in that second picture? I never thought I'd be GLAD to see a Sonic movie not pitched. I'll stick with Sonic OVA.

and i believe the patch is $10 order now and you'll get a copy of the lost ones we have so many in the ware because no one will buy it. silly jabs aside really cant imagine how the praetorian and the rest of his characters will look like 

$10 for a muddy looking patch that's still tugging at something that he obviously doesn't own. Cripes.

I can kinda imagine what "Praetorian" will look like if the current promotional artwork with pug-face Lara-Su is anything to go by.

Oh lord what have I done:

praetorianparody.jpg

I'll remove this in a little while. I just felt like being stupid for a moment.

The first thing that came to mind when I saw that patch was unofficial, unauthorized merchandise. Like the kind you see fan artists and random vendors sell in the artist's alley/show floor of a anime/comic book convention.

That said, I think he's really over reaching here. He's basically banking on folks liking his pre-lawsuit work to sell this and other like minded items.

P.S. - WTF You have copyright over a friggin' acorn? XD

I guess that means he's planning to have a Kingdom of Acorn and a King Acorn of some variety then...just enough to be trying to cash in on the official comic but just not enough to get counter sued >.<

I guess that means he's planning to have a Kingdom of Acorn and a King Acorn of some variety then...just enough to be trying to cash in on the official comic but just not enough to get counter sued >.<

I'm guessing this is where Elias (or perhaps a descendent if this is "Future Mobius") will end up, since he "belongs" to Penders and all, now. I just find it odd that he'd even try to use that name though, because it's associated with the Archie comic/SatAM cartoon, and, as far as I know, is still actively used in the new universe.

I can't wait to see how this comic turns out. =3 I don't even think it will sell less than fifty copies.

20 copies sold 10 of them me?

Even if this thing bombs he's going to pretend that it was a hit and keep trying to milk every aspect of it like how he's doing with the lost ones. When he showed the trailer he said that it was the best selling book(a book many people didn't read or even heard of)

I live in the UK and I only heard of the comics back in 2003 when the Sonic Collection came out and they showed all of the cover previews. It wasn't until 2006 that I actually started getting the comics. I think I managed to watch one or two episodes of SatAM in my youth but the only shows I remember were AoStH and Sonic Underground. The movie wouldn't have appealed to me in the slightest. 

There was no way in hell this movie would ever have been produced and I don't believe for a minute that Ken even got to pitch the idea to Dreamworks- it's probably part of his delusional state of mind. 

Firstly Sega never would have approved the idea of a SatAM/ Archie movie mainly because it's fan base centred America and no where else. The SatAM characters were mainly unknown to many fans of the game and Japan wouldn't have had access to either content. Since SoJ is main HQ they would have shut the idea down straight away. Secondly the art design is....poor ( being polite). Even if Ken got to pitch the idea Dreamworks wouldn't have taken him seriously with art like that. And going back to point one, they probably wouldn't want to get sued for making a fan movie. 

Ken's idea of doing a fan comic (because that's basically what it is) is just him standing in the road waiting for a car to run him over- a disaster. The reason why characters like Julie- Su and Elias  were popular (...ish) was because they were part of the Sonic franchise. Without Sonic and Knuckles they practically have no existence. I think the only reason they were still around towards the end was because Ian gave them some purpose. It'll never see the light of day mainly because Ken will not get the funding for fans (because he's a geeky fanboy who wanted his fan characters back) and even if it does,  Sega will be on it and suing him because we all know Ken isn't a good enough writer to make it work without referring back to Archie/ Knuckles etc. 

In a way I'm glad Ken won the case. We get rid of so many fan characters and the comics become truer to the games, which is what I think everybody wants.

Now, what I would really like to see is someone redraw the promotional designs (minus the mental care bear) and show Penders how it's done- remember you can't draw Julie-Su because a certain fan boy might be upset. 

• Thumbs Up 2

All I can say is, thank fuck this was scrapped. It does look really off to me. If a Sonic movie does get made, it'll probably be along the lines of Sonic Boom.

• 3 years later...

Out of 10, how would you rate this pitch.

1: 9!

2: 10!

3: 10!

4: 11!

Edit: This was found a few years back, a number of people saw it however it got a takedown noticed slapped on it and was removed. Well it's been re-discovered via a very old forum. So there it is.

• Thumbs Up 4

I would rate this as Negative Ten. 

I have... an intense amount of difficulty believing that this was able to impress anyone who viewed it. To this day cannot begin to understand how Penders thought THIS was a decent video pitch for his film, or why he thought including those kids and that stupid premise from Sonic Live was a good idea. 

• Thumbs Up 5