Awoo.

Ken Penders Scrapped Sonic Movie

DaddlerTheDalek

I don't think it was going to be Live-Action & with a Human Sonic & Tails...

That would be completely insane! wacko.png

If Howard The Duck could be spawn into a shitty live action movie so can Sonic. sleep.png

Any movie would almost certainly be it's own continuity, and at best, borrow elements from the other continuities. Pretty much an OVA 2.0 but on a wider scale. It would in no way, shape, or form, have any bearing on any of the other continuities aside from maybe a design influence for marketing purposes.

Basically, it's how the Transformers movies have nothing to do with any Transformers fiction that came before or after them, yet because of them, there's been a slight shift in the marketing game. Bumblebee saw a lot more usage afterwards, etc.

• Thumbs Up 3

If Howard The Duck could be spawn into a shitty live action movie so can Sonic. sleep.png

Penders wanted a CGI Movie. That's for sure.

Any movie would almost certainly be it's own continuity, and at best, borrow elements from the other continuities. Pretty much an OVA 2.0 but on a wider scale. It would in no way, shape, or form, have any bearing on any of the other continuities aside from maybe a design influence for marketing purposes.

Basically, it's how the Transformers movies have nothing to do with any Transformers fiction that came before or after them, yet because of them, there's been a slight shift in the marketing game. Bumblebee saw a lot more usage afterwards, etc.

Isn't that precisely why SEGA wouldn't do a film based on Archie, then? If people are expecting it to have an influence on the marketing to follow, then it'd be impossible to follow on that anyway since 90% of the Archie cast aren't even used in the games and never will be.

Not to mention that an Archie film would isolate Japanese and European audiences since the vast majority haven't heard of Archie Sonic or have heard of it but have no interest in it. Marketing would be a nightmare in those territories.

The ideas Penders pitched are just...unappealing. It would be much smarter to stay to the canon of the video games rather than Archie/SatAM, as the video games are the more recognizable one. In all seriousness; if I were to pitch a Sonic film, I'd only want to work on it with Pixar, of course with SEGA's approval as well. I may be a bit biased towards Disney/Pixar, but I honestly feel the biggest potential for a great story would be from Pixar having their hands on it. Let alone the fact that they would respect the source material from the games and stay true to it.

Ah yes, I remember I first heard about Ken Penders' pitch at the end of 2002 (I think). I've also seen one of those pictures before: the last one, with all the characters together appeared on the internet in 2006. Its interesting to see the other pics but the artwork certainly is odd in places.

I'm glad nothing ever came of this. Ken Penders is not the right person to helm a Sonic movie.

Edited by Doctor Sοnic

Isn't that precisely why SEGA wouldn't do a film based on Archie, then? If people are expecting it to have an influence on the marketing to follow, then it'd be impossible to follow on that anyway since 90% of the Archie cast aren't even used in the games and never will be.

Not to mention that an Archie film would isolate Japanese and European audiences since the vast majority haven't heard of Archie Sonic or have heard of it but have no interest in it. Marketing would be a nightmare in those territories.

More or less yes, however, that doesn't mean that It would be based on anything else either. It would instead tell its own story with the main characters of the franchise as a whole (basically the cast of Sonic 4 episode 2), as well as add some characters and settings of its own. Maybe it'll drag out some character that's been neglected in one of the continuities (for example, the OVA dug out Metal Sonic, who hadn't had a main role in the games or comics since his debut), maybe some other character would get repurposed. (Like Sentinel Prime in the Transformers movies)

Meanwhile, a film based on any existing continuity wouldn't alienate any territory in the slightest. However, that's still a very bad idea for movie making, because you've severely crippled your target audience. You're basically making something for the minority, when you should be making something that appeals to everyone, not just Sonic fans. The aim would be to make new Sonic fans from it, so having to deal with any baggage from other mediums would be a bit unfair to the casual movie goer.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh joys, another Sonic fan movie that looks like shit.

This is truly a work of art Penders has created. Just think what could of been! I would of been able to watch a shitty soap opera about anthropomorphic animals while reading a shitty soap opera about anthropomorphic animals! That's two times the shit right there.

• Thumbs Up 1

Looking again at the cast pic, you can tell that Penders had major Knuckles bias even though it's supposed to be about Sonic. Where are the other fucking Freedom Fighters, I'm pretty sure they'd be more relevant to Sonic (the character) than Julie-Su and the Chaotix.

Edited by VEDJ-F

I have to agree. I definitely wouldn't want Ken Penders anywhere near any kind of Sonic film.

Or any other kind of official Sonic product for that matter. The quality of the comics basically used a Rocket Wisp after he left.

In fact, dare I say, he is the main reason the comics had a bad rep. Is that a fair assessment?

• Thumbs Up 1

In fact, dare I say, he is the main reason the comics had a bad rep. Is that a fair assessment?

I think so, because I sure as hell felt that the melodrama and lovey dovey bullshit in the comic was complete and utter tripe. He turned a simple comic about a cartoon hedgehog fighting an evil scientist and going on adventures into a fucking love triangle bullshit infested piece of shit. <--And I don't care if that sentence doesn't make sense, that's how much I disliked the comics, however I've heard they have improved.

Edited by Silencer(Tsundere Edition)
  • Thumbs Up 3

Yeah, the stories are actually about Sonic fighting Eggman and not whether Sonic can manage to get in the sack with three diffrent girls (oh but he's actually Sonic's evil twin in disguise!).

Bleh.

Edited by Groosenator032
  • Thumbs Up 1

Ken's comments from 2002

Ken Penders wrote:The main cast of characters consist of Sonic, Sally, Tails, Bunnie, Uncle Chuck, Jules, Bernie, King & Queen Acorn, Knuckles, Julie-Su, Espio, Mighty, Vector, Locke, Lara-Le, Wynmacher, Snively, Crabmeat, E-102 and Dr. Robotnik. As only the main plotline has been worked out, it remains to be seen what other characters will have speaking roles. At present, I envision a number of characters seen in various incarnations of the games, comic book and animated series will be utilized as "extras" throughout.

Ken Penders wrote:I can at least quell some fears that even if they don't have major parts, characters like Amy Rose, Rotor and Antoine will be seen in the film as the story requires a number of characters at least being seen as the Swatbots round up the citizenry for roboticization. (And
no, none of the three mentioned undergo the process. I don't need unnecessary rumors flying wild on the internet, thank you.)
Edited by DaddlerTheDalek

Oh thank every single deity ever imagined, yes even the Flying Spaghetti Monster and L.Ron Hubbard's meth creation, that this never happened.

• Thumbs Up 2

At least I got some good out of it.

Riotous laughter over how arse-clenchingly, eye-wateringly awful this is.

EVERYTHING about this proposal sucks balls. From Pender's fan-characters, Mobius' apparent destruction, the godawful "artwork" and the premise which resembles the tone of Sonic the Hedgehog as much as Saw resembles Barney the Purple Dinosaur. And why the hell is Sally next to Sonic rather than, say, Tails? Oh yeah, I forgot. Character-favoritism.

The only boggling thing about this considering this is Penders' work is the way the Dark Legion isn't anywhere to be seen. You know, considering they're such wonderful characters?[/sarcasm]

I don't see why the heck SEGA would want this shit to have more prevalence than their game series. Jolly good it was turned down.

Edited by Verte
  • Thumbs Up 4

Ken's comments from 2002

I can at least quell some fears that even if they don't have major parts, characters like Amy Rose, Rotor and Antoine will be seen in the film as the story requires a number of characters at least being seen as the Swatbots round up the citizenry for roboticization. (Andno, none of the three mentioned undergo the process. I don't need unnecessary rumors flying wild on the internet, thank you.)

"Don't worry if your favourite main characters were shoved out of the spotlight by Crabmeat and my Mary Sue echidna squad; you'll still get to see them as helpless damsels in distress with no lines! And don't worry, guys, there's no way I'll let them get turned into robots. Wouldn't want them actually doing anything, y'know."

• Thumbs Up 9

This is Pixar's final response to Penders, work of art.

Lmao!!! Even the shredder rejected Penders @ 0:28-0:33

tumblr_lr0njakdu41r2e5ljo1_400.png

This picture is insanely better than any of penders work.

Edited by Silverfang

As much as I would like something like a Sonic movie..I'm so glad they didn't let it be something like this. Repeated a ton of times, but for a valid reason, that artwork is absolutely disgusting. A movie with characters from the Archie series is one that should never be made, no matter what. Not only because it would be awful, but most people wouldn't even recognize them all that well anyways.

Any movie where it has some kind of cyborg Snively working on a Teddy Bear or one where they can't even get Sonic's SHOES right

sonicshoes.png

Is one that I don't want to see.

As much as I would like something like a Sonic movie..I'm so glad they didn't let it be something like this. Repeated a ton of times, but for a valid reason, that artwork is absolutely disgusting. A movie with characters from the Archie series is one that should never be made, no matter what. Not only because it would be awful, but most people wouldn't even recognize them all that well anyways.

Any movie where it has some kind of cyborg Snively working on a Teddy Bear or one where they can't even get Sonic's SHOES right

sonicshoes.png

Is one that I don't want to see.

To be honest, I thought those were his feet. :D

To be honest, I thought those were his feet. biggrin.png

... I don't know what mutation or disease would cause someone's feet to morph into that unnatural shape.

Those screenshots look creepy especially the second and last ones o_O it actually scared me unsure.pngblush.png everyone looks odd in the last pic especially Sonic and Knuckles smiling with WIDE eyes, next to Knuckles JS looks like she's stoned o_o