Awoo.

Ken Penders Scrapped Sonic Movie

DaddlerTheDalek

Stuff like that just seems like a waste of time to me. It's drawn okay, but what it's of just makes it so the artist can go "Take that, guy who might not ever see this pmHlf.gif", and never looked at again.

You know, if Ken penders wasen't such a douche bag now, most people woulden't criticize his artwork as much as they do now.

Edit: Ok i just looked at all the pictures.

This is horrid.

Fall_of_Penders_colored_by_Kaminyu.png

That is all.

lol!

I think it's a little bit harsh but funny. wink.png

Edited by DaddlerTheDalek

• 1 year later...

The Sonic OVA is just enough for me, thank you. the pictures looks so terrible.

EDIT: Whoops, I just resurrected this topic!

Edited by SnipSnap

The Sonic OVA is about 200x better than this! Did Penders really expect anyone to make a movie out of this, with artwork like that? ><

Which reminds me, anyone seen that short clip of Richard Kuta's Sonic movie? That was so bad I'm not surprised it was scrapped entirely!

The Sonic OVA is just enough for me, thank you. the pictures looks so terrible.

EDIT: Whoops, I just resurrected this topic!

Which is why if you gonna look through old topics, keep in mind of the date of when the last post was. now this topic has been pointlessly revivied.

Which is why if you gonna look through old topics, keep in mind of the date of when the last post was. now this topic has been pointlessly revivied.

It's not pointlessly revived unless he says something that is completely non-contributive to the conversation. =/ - There was nothing inherently wrong with this revival, and I don't think a lecture needs to take place here when it was clearly an accident.

• Thumbs Up 7

now this topic has been pointlessly revivied.

To be frank, that's not even in the same time zone of being your call to make. Especially after he already apologized for doing so anyway.

• Thumbs Up 6

so whats the status of his lara su chronicles movie?

No idea, I don't even dare step into his forums its probably shelved for his other projects. I heard there are members here who do have standing accounts over their too.

It's not pointlessly revived unless he says something that is completely non-contributive to the conversation. =/ - There was nothing inherently wrong with this revival, and I don't think a lecture needs to take place here when it was clearly an accident.

Guess its how I see "non-contributive" then, it if not something completely relevant like an update or news article then it counts as necro-bumping, the post would be trashed and the topic locked from further discussion. used to get banned on other forums (and here at 1 point) for stuff like this even if it was related to the topic at hand, but I guess things are more lax nowadays. 

Edited by goku262002

That's not the rules being more lax. That's those rules not being viewed as rules in the first place, and thus not as valid grounds for moderator action. I personally think they are stupid rules on other forums too. I regularly merge new threads with older ones here; with no real cutoff point. A couple months ago I merged 4 different Dreamcast birthday threads spread out over 5 years because I remembered that they all existed when the newone was made. There's a new sheriff in town and whatnot.

The more important part is that I don't consider thread bumping to express an opinion, nevermind from a member who wasn't even around when the thread was last posted in, to be anything worth even commenting on and actively encourage the use of the search function (and merging old threads with new ones) rather than simply not posting or making duplicate threads that invariably devolve into shitting on the OP for expressing something against the "board consensus." SnipSnap has just as much right to contribute to this thread as anyone else did; and you have no right to weigh in on whether his posts are "pointless" or "non-contributive" just because he didn't express them within a certain time frame.

• Thumbs Up 7

Guess its how I see "non-contributive" then, it if not something completely relevant like an update or news article then it counts as necro-bumping, the post would be trashed and the topic locked from further discussion. used to get banned on other forums (and here at 1 point) for stuff like this even if it was related to the topic at hand, but I guess things are more lax nowadays. 

This is completely untrue, at least for here in all the time I've been around and modding this forum. The policy has always been to revive old topics to prevent duplicates if one can be found through the search function, but even then no one has ever been banned failing to do so. In many cases we can merge topics or just lock them and link to the new ones, but it's never been something punished with severity so I want to clear up any misconceptions about it. 

Sorry, not to completely derail this topic with 100 mods coming in or anything but I think it's important to clarify this point so more confusion doesn't spread. I just wanted to try and make it clear (:

Also this post may be horribly formatted, I had to keep editing as my brain is dying from writing too much research paper. 

• Thumbs Up 1

so whats the status of his lara su chronicles movie?

Ken Penders is making a film? Let alone allowed to use Windows Movie maker without supervision? I really don't want to see his eyesore of fan characters on the big screen...

Edited by Abominal Taz

Ken Penders is making a film? Let alone allowed to use Windows Movie maker without supervision? I really don't want to see his eyesore of fan characters on the big screen...

Yeah he said that the Lara su chronicles was never meant to be a comic book it's going to be a graphic novel, movie and tv series

Yeah he said that the Lara su chronicles was never meant to be a comic book it's going to be a graphic novel, movie and tv series

Uhm...weeeeeellll, someone's a wee bit overzealous....

• Thumbs Up 1

Well...seems I have stirred a hornets nest tonight, all the mods are coming out of the woodwork for my post. won't be surprised if I get pounced on by admins next...

SnipSnap has just as much right to contribute to this thread as anyone else did; and you have no right to weigh in on whether his posts are "pointless" or "non-contributive" just because he didn't express them within a certain time frame.

True, maybe I don't. but keep in mind why bumping dead threads was and still is frowned upon even if its not a rule, topics have their time in the sun they come and go and we have thousands of cases like that. bumping them without some reason other then to express opinion on a past issue is just reencouraging a discussion that had its time already. mainly in the past it was looked down on is when old arguments would get bumped after months or years of non-discussion thanks to a new member, and while it didn't happen this time thank goodness it could have and its allways a possiblity.

Necro-bumping doesn't need to happen unless theres a new developement in the topic, guess its why Retro has a timed auto lock on its topics and have to be requested in order to be unlocked. besides, we have other ways of discussing old matters now a days that doesn't require bumping a topic, like the statuses those are an easy way to spark discussion on an old issue while keeping the topic in its rightful resting place.

Now before you guys start bearing your teeth and circling me, keep in mind that I had no ill-intent behind my words, they were just blunt which if read incorrectly can sound harsh or mean though I can see why your all pouncing on me atm, maybe I was a bit too harsh, my bad. if you guys are fine with necro-bumping years old topics with little reason then its okay with me and hopefully SnipSnap didn't take what I said the wrong way. 

This is completely untrue, at least for here in all the time I've been around and modding this forum. The policy has always been to revive old topics to prevent duplicates if one can be found through the search function, but even then no one has ever been banned failing to do so. In many cases we can merge topics or just lock them and link to the new ones, but it's never been something punished with severity so I want to clear up any misconceptions about it.

Well, maybe not here, striked at the worst. but other places were allot more harsh at least back then.

Edited by goku262002

I'm gonna be quite blunt. While he's not da Vinci or close to Yardley, all the hateful comments about his artwork just come off as bullying to me. I understand he's done a lot of stuff worth criticising (though I've heard from the folks who've talked to him that if you get his side of the story, you may see he's not quite the villain he gets made out to be, even if he's not perfect, though who is?), but come on. Have you seen Ian Flynn's sketches? They're not always the most perfect pieces either; they don't have to be. Flynn, like Penders, is a WRITER. A writer's job is story first and foremost; their ability to draw is generally simply so they can better communicate an idea to someone whose job is dedicated to drawing. It helps ensure the writer's vision and artist's finalised work match up. In the case of the movie, I doubt Penders would have been the actual animator; I think he was simply using his sketches to give an idea of what he wanted.

Anyway, more on the topic itself.

As for the actual concept - not only do I sincerely doubt that he had SEGA's approval to pursue the project to begin with, the simple fact is this pitch was made in the Adventure era. You know, the era where SEGA smothered any attempts to deviate from the official game canon. Good luck squeezing ANY sort of movie past SEGA in that era, except for maybe a Sonic X film a bit later.

I'll be honest. I'm actually somewhat interested what his plot point was. It looks like time travel was involved, so I ponder where that would have gone...?

Edited by Ogilvie

You take us mods way too seriously, goku. We're not animals or anything. =P Most of us came in because Pelly is too good to post in the Sonic sections and we're Nosy Parkers. I'm also fairly certain this isn't even a blip on the admins' radar. Calm yourself; everything's fine.

• Thumbs Up 1

You take us mods way too seriously, goku. We're not animals or anything. =P Most of us came in because Pelly is too good to post in the Sonic sections and we're Nosy Parkers. I'm also fairly certain this isn't even a blip on the admins' radar. Calm yourself; everything's fine.

I'm calm, no anger on my front I can assure you just civil discussion were having.

But you guys are not to be taken lightly either, some more then others are not-as-lax but I'd rather not take my chances on any of the mods.

I'm gonna be quite blunt. While he's not da Vinci or close to Yardley, all the hateful comments about his artwork just come off as bullying to me. I understand he's done a lot of stuff worth criticising (though I've heard from the folks who've talked to him that if you get his side of the story, you may see he's not quite the villain he gets made out to be, even if he's not perfect, though who is?), but come on. Have you seen Ian Flynn's sketches? They're not always the most perfect pieces either; they don't have to be. Flynn, like Penders, is a WRITER.

A writer's job is story first and foremost; their ability to draw is generally simply so they can better communicate an idea to someone whose job is dedicated to drawing. It helps ensure the writer's vision and artist's finalised work match up. In the case of the movie, I doubt Penders would have been the actual animator; I think he was simply using his sketches to give an idea of what he wanted.

Sorry, had to break that into 2 so I can read it better.

Thats the thing though, hes not very good at either. he ran the comic into the ground with both his art and his writing, we had a 2006-level era of comics thanks to him and his odd visions for the comic. we got people on this very board who are still burned by the comic and wont give the comic a second chance thanks to his idiot plotlines and art. he didn't know how to draw a sonic character or had any good ideas on how to mix up a sonic character's design.

We hate on him because he was taking the comic is some fuckodd direction and we were not happy with it, it took another writer almost 30 something issues just to clean up the mess he left, then the guy has the gall to put a gaint wedge into the current writers arc by starting up some inane lawsuit (which he WON, god damn I hate this gay universe) for some half assed project he wants to do with officialthecharactersdonotsteal he made and making us have to basically reboot everything back to 1 again.

It would tick anyone off except loyal supporters.

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm gonna be quite blunt. While he's not da Vinci or close to Yardley, all the hateful comments about his artwork just come off as bullying to me.

Then comrade, let me be the first to say that, leaving aside who Ken Penders is as a person, his artwork is still atrociously awful, and it's a detriment to whatever work he's trying to do by continuing to put out more. Is that unbiased enough, comrade?

Edited by Sixth-Rate Soma

Ok horrendous artwork aside, I have to admit I'm confused. Yea I get why people may not like him as an artist or writer, but why does everyone hate him as a person? 

Thats the thing though, hes not very good at either.

I never said he was. Though I'll be honest I never really saw the stuff people hate so much about his writing to begin with. I guess I just don't have a really strong critical side.

The only thing I never really liked was how Lara-Su is basically an official fancharacter who can defeat a much more powerful character, Shadow, in two hits, when no one else can, with the sole explanation being "lol Guardian." His echidna worship in general was probably a bad idea, though.

Some of his plot devices like the one billionth ring seem really weird in retrospect but let us remember the comic is written for children first and foremost. Of course adults aren't going to like it. Rare exceptions like My Little Pony aside, that's just how target audiences work.

The greatest irony is the well-beloved Ian Flynn actually grew up liking Penders' stories. It seems rather odd that Penders gets so much hate and Flynn so much praise, when without Penders there would be no Flynn.

Edited by Ogilvie