Awoo.

The Gaming Rumors Thread: Nintendo BG&E2? Resi 7? Prey 2... again!?

Patticus

Nope.

No way they're going to try and merge Star Fox's space furries with Metroid's humans and aliens. No way they're going to merge Metroid's slow paced exploration-focused gameplay with Star Fox's action-packed space battles. It's nonsense.

...but if somehow it is true, Retro could probably make it work...

• Thumbs Up 9

Only if Ridley gets Star Fox style voice acting and he sounds like this:

On a more serious note, I'll be very interested if this concept is legit. I LOVE crossovers and I'm sure Retro can make it work.

Edited by chaoscontrol14
  • Thumbs Up 1

I just want to get a chronological sequel to Metroid Fusion.

Never Played Star Fox, so meh.

I personally don't want this game, but if anyone can make it work, its Retro. I would buy anything made by Retro, even this crossover and its sequel "Ice Climbers X Eternal Darkness"

D;

I'd like to see Star Fox get a chance. I want to see if given a full proper chance on a home console with as much bang as a great company thing like Retro Studios could give it, if Star Fox can really be something great in this generation. I don't want the half-baked brain-dread idea of Nintendo's hands-in-the-air idea of "I don't know how to handle these two space franchises! Put them together maybe?!"

Just because they're both in space and Nintendo doesn't mean it's a swell idea, D;. Having this lonely and slow "scan everything" Samus person that everyone loves from the Prime days mixed with this animal armada of sour jokes and twisted plot lines? It'll come off stupid, I don't care how you prepare it.

I can't see Samus standing next to Fox in any serious tone whatsoever, don't ruin this for me, D;

I'm really wanting just a new and rebooted Star Fox game, and I've said it in like 10 posts now in the past few months. It's kinda my big finger cross for E3 this year, and seeing just a rumor of something ridiculous like this makes me disappointed I guess.

• Thumbs Up 3

Well the idea doesn't sound too good, but didn't half of Nintendo's games sound horrible in concept, but actually turned out to be amazing in the end? Like Metroid Prime, Wind Waker, and Luigi's Mansion for example?

I'll just wait and if this really is true, then I'll judge when I see some gameplay.

btw, not expecting this, but I think almost everyone is expecting a new Starfox from Retro. If not then Donkey Kong Country Returns 2.

What sounded horrible about Wind Waker?

Besides the gorgeous graphics, some people actually hated the fact that it would be on the sea for some dumb reason. Can't imagine why but whatever.

There's a difference between an idea sounding bad and stupid people being stupid.

• Thumbs Up 2

I thought Prime and Luigi's Mansion were great concepts.

People had the right to be skeptical about the decision to make a survival horror Mario spinoff. In retrospect, that's not far off from deciding to make a third person shooter Sonic spinoff, and we all know how that idea turned out. But the difference between Luigi's Mansion and Shadow the Hedgehog is that Nintendo knew what they were doing when they made that decision, so they managed to get the tone and character of the game just right.

Prime was also kind of a sketchy concept at the time; prior to Prime, there was never an FPS that fully captured Metroidvanian exploration, so people weren't crazy to think Nintendo was trying to turn Metroid into Half-Life. Needless to say, Retro certainly proved them wrong, but the point is ideas are only as bad as their execution. And frankly, Retro is one of those companies I believe could be asked to make Paperwork and Constipation Simulator 2012 and deliver digital gold.

• Thumbs Up 4

People had the right to be skeptical about the decision to make a survival horror Mario spinoff. In retrospect, that's not far off from deciding to make a third person shooter Sonic spinoff, and we all know how that idea turned out. But the difference between Luigi's Mansion and Shadow the Hedgehog is that Nintendo knew what they were doing when they made that decision, so they managed to get the tone and character of the game just right.

Prime was also kind of a sketchy concept at the time; prior to Prime, there was never an FPS that fully captured Metroidvanian exploration, so people weren't crazy to think Nintendo was trying to turn Metroid into Half-Life. Needless to say, Retro certainly proved them wrong, but the point is ideas are only as bad as their execution. And frankly, Retro is one of those companies I believe could be asked to make Paperwork and Constipation Simulator 2012 and deliver digital gold.

Yeah, I'm not saying that they weren't weird concepts. I could see how people would be skeptical of such ideas.

Though honestly, if any Nintendo character could pull off a haunted house game, it has to be Luigi xD.

People had the right to be skeptical about the decision to make a survival horror Mario spinoff.

That Star Fox/Metroid crossover would be an amazing announcement, if only for the meltdowns that would inevitably occur straight after.

Not really relevant, but I wouldn't call LM "survival" horror. Survival's no more significant a goal than it is in almost any game, and there isn't the usual focus on managing limited resources.

Horror? Cartoon horror? I dunno, it doesn't really fit cleanly into any category I can think of.

I'd probably put it under Fanasty, but I'm not really sure XP.

Edited by Winston

I honestly have no idea what to think about this idea... the gameplay for Metroid Prime and Star Fox play out WAY too different to mesh up together in one game, at least I would think.

Star Fox is an arcade rail shooter you play often to get the high score and replay all the time, but usually only in short bursts at a time (mainly because these games are usually beaten within an hour).

Meanwhile, Metroid Prime is a game where you sit yourself down and play for hours at a time as you immerse yourself in the planet you're on and progress with Metroidvania gameplay. Unlike Star Fox, the gameplay is a LOT slower paced and you focus more on exploring and examining items, not an adrenaline-like shooting everything on screen for massive points experience.

I mean, really, I think this makes the Werehog's difference to Sonic's normal gamplay look natural. Sure, you can speed run Metroid which kinda gives it an arcady fast paced feel, but really, I only think that applies towards the 2D games like Zero Mission, and something tells me Retro is going to go with a Prime type of Metroid game here. And if that's the case, then the Metroid gameplay is still going to be slower paced and meant to be played in long bursts than Starfox, which is often only meant to be played for maybe an hour or 2 at a time, and I just can't see these two styles blending together... sleep.png

At the same time, when combining two different types of gameplay, that also means that development is split on both gameplay styles too. Unless the budget is massive enough to fully compensate, I don't want a crappy Metroid Prime: Hunters-like Campaign mixed with a Mediocre Star Fox Assault-like Campaign. I want full development on one or the other to get the best Metroid or Star Fox experience possible, not a mediocre mash up that feels lame on both ends in the final product.

After all this though, I really want to see Star Fox come back and I still kinda like this idea of the Star Fox team interacting with Samus. However, I just don't think it will work without butchering both games and screwing up what makes them great when made separately. However, if this is done right, it could possibly be insanely awesome to play and renew Star Fox's reputation regarding good games as well... it's a huge gamble and I have no idea which side I'm on...

The greatest title for a thread ever.

I dunno, such a crossover does sound interesting... at least in some concept. It would be very interesting, not that I'm for or against it.

Well, I read a rumor with some vague stuff supporting it. But I doubt anyone would really give a damn about it.

I really don't see how a crossover of those franchises would work either. However I do think it would be interesting to actually use Samus's ship as a fucking spaceship instead of a save point and fight battles in it.

• Thumbs Up 1

FLCL game/sequel in the making?

http://gonintendo.co...story&id=177563

Hello,

I am currently involved with an action/adventure game based on FLCL (Fooly Cooly) anime for the Wii U. A separate version of the game is being developed by a different team for the 3DS. We started development on both versions of the game in October.

The game will be published by Namco Bandai. Developing for the Wii U has been very painless, and the console's GPU and CPU have made development a very smooth process to create jaw dropping next gen graphics with unbelievable ease. The game's engine was designed to run cel shaded graphics flawlessly at 60 frames per second to imitate the art style and fluid animation of the show.

We have been actively working with most of the old cast of voice actors from the original Japanese show as well as the English dub to return for this game.

Yoji Enokido, who wrote the TV series, is writing a completely brand new story for this video game. The game will retain all of the great humor that the tv series and manga were known for. The Pillows reprise their role in providing the soundtrack for the game just like they did for the television series. You can expect both new and old songs.

The game works as an official sequel to the mini series. The video game takes place one year after the events of the tv show, and it will feature real anime cut scenes animated by Gainax.

Throughout the game, you can switch between Haruko Haruhara and Naota Nandaba. Haruko can smash enemies with her electric guitar and drive a vespa scooter through the city. Naota can fight off enemies with a baseball bat and rides a bicycle.

The game is suppose to remain secret, and I'm not suppose to tell anyone about this game. But I felt the need to open the can of worms since many FLCL (Fooly Cooly) fans here have been dieing for a true sequel to FLCL for many years.

This game will be your official sequel.

An announcement about the game should be made real soon with official screenshots and a trailer released.

Thank you.

Can this be true, pretty please?

Edited by Cero
  • Thumbs Up 1