Awoo.

Sonic Adventure 2 - over rated or under rated?

Debug Ring

I can go places with people that have Sonic related things on there sites who have incredibly different opinions on this game

i can even find some people who share the same opinion like whether it is good or bad but argue with each other about there reasons why they think its good or bad even though there potently agreeing with each other

I love it not only is it one of my favorite Sonic game it is one of my favorite game in general

what do you think,

is Sonic Adventure 2 over rated or under rated?

Overrated, but it's still a good Sonic game. Not the best ever like some people say though.

Edited by Chaos Warp
  • Thumbs Up 7

This is a toughie. Adventure 2 is all round one of my favourite Sonic games, with a really well put together story and the best 3D Sonic gameplay outside of the Unleashed/Colours/Generations engine... but it's let down in a few aspects. I personally don't mind the Tails/Eggman gameplay but I know it isn't to everyone's tastes, and oh dear god the treasure hunting levels are just so... bleh. Mad Space and Meteor Herd in particular just absolutely take the biscuit. Whenever I go back to the game, I never replay the Knuckles/Rouge levels, they're just so frustrating at times.

I'd say it's over-rated in the sense that some people call it one of the best games ever made, when in reality it's only really one third of a brilliant game, with one third being debatable and the other third being pretty terrible. And yet what it does do right, it does very well... so I'm torn.

• Thumbs Up 3

Yes, indeed it is overrated. Massively so. But then most people who know me should already know how I feel about SA2.

Suffice it to say good stuff is good, but bad stuff is terrible, there is more bad stuff than good stuff, thus logically it is a bad game. A lot of people argue that it is an amazing game, perhaps even the best 3D (or laughably the best Sonic game period) Sonic game ever made. I disagree, and think that it is at the very least about as bad as Unleashed as an all-round game, honestly though I find it to be much worse.

Story is good, but that's pointless if the game is so bad you can't be bothered to finish it, so you don't even see the whole plot, unless via Youtube.

Edited by Scar
  • Thumbs Up 6

Both the Adventure games are overrated in general.

While the graphics looked incredible for the time they haven't aged well, voice actors are horrible, multiple variations of gameplay are confusing and randomly pulled out of nowhere, and for Adventure 1 just getting to the levels can be a challenge since you have to explore those darned Adventure Fields.

Since we're talking specifically about Adventure 2 though...

It's not that horrible aside from the listed above. In fact, it's a good game. I just don't like it as much as others do, personally. I think that's just nostalgia goggles covering up alot of the obvious flaws. But then again, maybe I'm wrong.

• Thumbs Up 1

Over. Definitely over. Just the fact that the game is about 2/3 "not Sonic" and yet is often considered to be one of the best games in the series is proof enough. And the Sonic gameplay isn't even all that good; too linear, too automated.

• Thumbs Up 5

Overrated. 1/3 of it is good, the rest is just there. Would I call it a bad game? No, the good third is pretty good, and the rest is still decently playable, but it's definitely not the bastion of quality Sonic game design that some make it out to me.

• Thumbs Up 1

Overrated. Some people say it's one of the best Sonic games ever, and it's honestly not =U. It's an O.K. game, I highly prefer Colors, Generations and Adventure 1 over it though.

Edited by Shaggy Rogers
  • Thumbs Up 1

The game is only really over rated when people keep saying its the last good Sonic game or the best Sonic game in the series and every game that came out after SA2 is crap.

• Thumbs Up 3

Beginning of the decline. Spent most of the game treasure hunting with a broken radar or shooting stuff in mechs which I hated the most of all. Sonic and Shadow gameplay was mediocre to outright boring with long stretches of nothing but running in a straight line down corridors with little to no platforming and homing attacking shit that got in the way (pyramid cave worst 3D Sonic level in history).

However, we did get City Escape, Crazy Gadget and Final Rush, definite high points in the series since it went 3D with a great gravity switch gimmick in CG, bounce bracelet platforming in final rush and trick system in CE. Also rail grinding was fun in this game especially when it was optional and not forced on you like in City Escape and because it required player input. Sonic controlled great, the enemies provided a legitimate challenge because the homing attack was not overpowered and speed running was fun too because there was no insane boost speeds so you relied more on skill rather than luck and memorization for the A ranks. The spin dash could also be used cleverly to gain a small burst of speed (not insane like the boost) which could then be used to extend jump distance giving you the option to jump over hazardous or time consuming segments.

I really don't like threads like these. They're no different from the "Is Sonic 06 underrated?" threads.

Many posts here will say SA2 is massively overrated because only 1/3rd of the game was actually good, the controls were bad, and was linear.

Then someone like me will come in here and say SA2 is their favorite game because although the Speed sections were the best parts, they actually like the Mech and Treasure hunting sections and found them fun to play. To me, while the controls were unrealistic they allowed for me to control Sonic and company exactly how I wanted, which is unlike every other Sonic game after it. There's also the emphasis on story, but hardly anyone dislikes SA2's story so I won't go there.

The reason why people call it the best 3D Sonic game is because every other Sonic game after it is downright terrible, except the very recent additions of Sonic Colors and Generations. If Colors and Generations non-existent, I would agree with those people who call it the best 3D Sonic game, and even then, Colors and Generations has still failed to give me the immersion and catharsis that SA2 did.

I'll answer the question though: Is SA2 overrated? It is now. But for a long time, it wasn't.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'd say overrated, but it's still pretty good. I really like the Sonic sections (which is probably the reason the game as a whole is so highly praised, even though they are, as stated by several others, 1/3 of the game). The story and characterization were pretty good, it had a ton of extra missions, surprisingly fun multiplayer, new modes, a good soundtrack (as always), great controls, and the whole Chao garden to boot. In those aspects, I think it deserves its praise.

But when it comes to just the bare-bones experience, the story mode, yes, it's overrated. The Sonic/ Shadow levels, while having slightly improved control over SA1, definitely seemed to be designed with less creativity or fun areas to explore. The treasure hunting levels were way too big and/or complicated for the most part (SCREW YOU, AQUATIC MINE), the radar system was nerfed, and the hint boxes were just trolls; though, to be honest, I don't hate these levels as much as most people. Then there are the mech stages, which, while fun, feel the least like a Sonic experience. They're sluggish, awkward, and feel like a step down from E-102's SA1 stages.

The core gameplay doesn't have its priorities straight, which is why I think the game is overrated. But even so, I think it's the most care that a 3D Sonic game has been handled with - the controls worked for the most part, they felt natural, and they crammed in a ton of optional extra content. It's attention to the little things that I think turn a good game into a great one. SA2 isn't amazing, nor is it the best Sonic game, but it's still a very enjoyable game.

Treasure hunting nearly ruined the game for me. I hate when games make you stick to one location and have to find shit. Looking at you, Zelda!

I only find it to be overrated when people say "Best Sonic game ever". Now, there was a point, when I agreed with these people, but that was when...Sonic Adventure 2 was the only Sonic game I've ever played. Now, I still find it to be good (I do like the mechs and hunting minus the Rouge stages), although there are somethings I question in the game, such as going from Tails in SA1, to Tails in SA2. I would think that having different playstyles for each character would be more beneficial to the game (Sonic and Tails play like they do in SA1, Knuckles has a more Sonic-y type level, with stuff that can utilize his abilities, Eggman gets the mech, Rouge gets the hunting stages, and Shadow getting the Sonic type levels). Basically, SA1, minus the story for each character. Not sure how good, if good, the idea is, but it's something I've thought of for a while.

Hopefully not

i love that game and i would hate to start that

i just wanted opinions not hateful rages.

That's the thing though, everyone has a completely different view of the game; some think Sa2 is the last good Sonic game, and praise it for its diverse(if flawed) gameplay, and its story which pushed the bar for this series, while others think it doesn't deserve the massive praise it gets and that playing 2/3 of the game not as the main character is a waste.

Basically, its both overrated and underrated, the best thing to agree on would be to just say its contested and leave it at that.

Edited by Shadic Claus
  • Thumbs Up 1

is it the best sonic game? no, not by any means.

is it fun? yes, it's still fun regardless.

is it the best adventure game? no, I loved the fact I can be different characters in the first one for their unique game style play through. If sonic is going to have friends then I want to play as them with their own unique way of doing things. This is why I also really liked the advance series.

It depends on the way you look at it

*Puts in mouthpipe*

Sonic Adventure 2 is definitely a critical game from one point of view. The writing is mediocre, the story is good though. The gameplay can range from atrocious to fun, and the characters are pretty much generic, exempting Shadow of course.

It's what many people call the decline of Sonic games, and looking towards Heroes and Shadow, they can be right. Many say this was the peak of Sonic's time, and those people are entitle to their opinions, (no matter how outlandish and wrong it is) but I'll tell you something, back when this game came out, everyone loved it. For years this was the "Super Mario 64" of the Sonic Series, with many people saying it beats SA1, and gave Sonic a new standard for his games, saying on for many years that "____ is good, but SA2 is still the best!" And tbh, it probably was.

...Until Unleashed. Between SA2 and Unleashed, we can all agree that the Sonic games weren't "amazing" by any means. But when Unleashed came, it was truly the first Sonic title in years in which it looked finished, and complete. Even with the werehog, people were estatic to play a new faster Sonic game that wasn't complete and total shit since SA2 (forgive me Heroes, but I have to include you in this for now).

Now starting here though, half the people moved from Unleashed to Colors and Generations etc, but the other half who were driven off from Sonic's not so good years of games, were still stuck on SA2. Having the view that Unleashed also sucked, they decided to call out on any future Sonic games that weren't SA2, for the sake of hating/disliking those games.

It's no surprise if I also mention that these people are the same ones who crave for a Sonic Adventure 3 every-time a new game is announced.

So really you have to look at it from both views. And by doing so, you can simply see that Sonic Adventure 2 is just a fun enjoyable mediocre Sonic game. It's not amazing, nor shit, but it's still enjoyable. It's certainly the most critical Sonic game, and probably the game that split the fanbase apart.

So is it Over-rated or Under-rated? It's both quite frankly. Not a game that deserves all the praise it gets, nor a game that deserves all the hate it gets.

Toodles *Takes out mouthpipe*

Edited by Nintendoga
  • Thumbs Up 8

The reason why people call it the best 3D Sonic game is because every other Sonic game after it is downright terrible, except the very recent additions of Sonic Colors and Generations. If Colors and Generations non-existent, I would agree with those people who call it the best 3D Sonic game, and even then, Colors and Generations has still failed to give me the immersion and catharsis that SA2 did.

No, most of the handheld games are also good or decent (HD Unleashed is pretty decent, too) and they're like the only thing keeping Sonic alive during that dark period.

I'd say it is overrated as a lot of people usually say "It's the best sonic game ever!" or "last good sonic game!" but IMO it's still a great game it's one of my favourites I liked most parts of it.

No, most of the handheld games are also good or decent (HD Unleashed is pretty decent, too) and they're like the only thing keeping Sonic alive during that dark period.

Most of the handhelds were actually pretty bad.

But even if they were good, what's your point? They're not console games, and that's where they are mostly judged upon. That's where all the publicity, advertisement, and fame is at.

The handhelds did nothing. They were in their own little world that was absent from the general population.

Overrated. I just can't fathom how many people who aren't even Sonic fans, cite this as the last good Sonic game when so much of the game is not Sonic and instead it's boring, unrelated filler, same issue with Unleashed (but that's another story).

Most of the handhelds were actually pretty bad.

Really? Because I seem to recall the entire Advance and Rush series being "the only good Sonic games for a time. Even stuff like Rivals weren't bad, just average to mediocre.

Edited by Groosenator032
  • Thumbs Up 6