Awoo.

Sonic Adventure 2 - over rated or under rated?

Debug Ring

C'mon, can't we all get along?

No.

Anyone saying that any Sonic game is better than Sonic 3 & K deserves an automatic Shohogken in the jaw and a Spartan Laser through their throat for desert. >=/

• Thumbs Up 3

No.

Anyone saying that any Sonic game is better than Sonic 3 & K deserves an automatic Shohogken in the jaw and a Spartan Laser through their throat for desert. >=/

COME AT ME BRO!

COME AT ME!

COME AT ME BRO!

COME AT ME!

Okay, no seriously. Let's get back on topic, because we're getting a bit carried away here.

Sonic Adventure 2 was better than Ocarina of Time.

O RLY?

While I do admit that the story was just as good as Ocarina's, I still think Ocarina accomplished its goals better than SA2.

As a kid, I definitely glossed over the mind numbingly tedious emerrowd collecting complimented by incessant rap music when praising Sa2's merit.

Looking back on it, I have to wonder wtf I was smoking when I thought that shit was acceptable.

Sonic Adventure 2 was better than Ocarina of Time.

Sonic Adventure 2 was better than Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

How bout no ya crazy dutch bastards!

I will defend SA2 till I die.

Also Sonic Adventure 2 is still the sonic game with the best sonic effects. Best griding sound, best enemy destruction sound, best spindash sounds (before you get the light dash your spindash actually has the classic sound), best gun shooting sound, best rocket sound. Seriously compare the rocket blasting off feeling and sound to the rockets in ShtH & Unleashed and you'll see how much SA2's is superior. They even added in the classic sound effects for Amy in 2P mode. Best Chao Garden, being able to link to Sonic Advance w/ that. Best multiplayer mode.

Oh yeah and best skybox image of Earth in a sonic game. Even with all the compression discs had back then, they were able to make a work around to make the quality good. I don't know if anyone remembers, but SA2B was the last manual that was colored and filled with nice content. After that Sega got cheap and made the manuals for every game after that with no color, and crammed the pages together to make them as short as possible. All this stuff is underrated.

Go play Sonic Heroes and you'll see the unbelievable drop in sound effect quality. Doesn't have that Umph factor. Same with ShtH, Riders all that. NiGHTS Journey of Dreams = lackluster quality.

You know, now that I bother thinking about it, SA2 did actually some pretty distinctive sound design as far as the series goes. I can run a level through my head and know how each and everything sounded. All of the whooshing and whirring and grinding sounds in the Race levels did give them an edgy, skater flair that no other game's had before or since.

Huh. You actually have a point there.

I can agree with that too. God that was half the reason Heroes repetitive combat was extra lame - it didn't even feel satisfying to hit stuff.

Not sure about the Earth skybox though. It looked good but every time I see it these days I can tell it's just a dome coz it kinda goes egg-shaped when the camera pans across it while Amy is talking to Shadow.

Edited by JezMM

I definitely think SA2 is overrated, but I still love it. Sure, it has a few flaws like the alternate gameplay styles turning some people off, the racing segments, some control and camera issues, and other minor flubs with the story like the humorously translated script ("TERIAAAA!") and spotty acting, but I'd still call it a good game. I still have a lot of fun with it and there's a nostalgic charm that you can't help but love. Sure, it's not my absolute favorite game, but it still holds a special place in my heart. :)