Awoo.

Why is the Sonic Cycle reviled?

Exploder

I hope I don't look dumb for asking this, but I don't fully understand why many people react negatively to the Sonic Cycle, not just mentions of it but the very concept too. Admittedly it is immensely annoying when critics bring it up over and over again, but certainly it is at least still based on a bit of truth, even if it is very tiny.

As I remember it, it became increasingly annoying when people brought it up in arguements as a poor way to justify the 'sonic sux' mentality we had circa-2006. And that's why (I think) it's looked upon in a negative light.

• Thumbs Up 7

I think it's the fact people just want to throw it around like a rag doll whenever something new and Sonic related comes up. Colors and Generations had their fair share of Sonic Cycle going around, albeit not a lot I think.

Another reason is because it's not even too relevant anymore, yet people still use it anyway. It's like they just want to troll or want to jump on the "Sonic Sucks" Bandwagon.

• Thumbs Up 2

The main problem I personally have with the "Sonic Cycle" is that it insults the fanbase, something that I find just as annoying as the "Sonic sux" mentality, to be honest. Not to mention what everyone else is saying. It just isn't accurate anymore, and it being constantly brought up has gotten really annoying.

The only game to actually fall under the cycle is Sonic 06. Every game after that isn't accurate and critics and non-fans are missing the point entirely and they bring it up to make themselves look credible or witty. It's an annoying, unfunny meme that is way overused and it needs to die.

Edited by sonfan1984

I think people were more annoyed (Sonic fans) that the cycle was generalizing the entire fanbase. You can't deny that there was a lot of truth to it during its time, though broken with Colors and Generations, probably 4 as well,

You can still expect people to use something in nerd slap fights. It's kinda of a moot point when nerds are figihting their nerdy game mascots and use the fans of a base as arguments, I think.

I'll remain that Sonic can have a horrible fanbase, but no worse than the Call of Duty fanbase, or online Halo players.

Of course, the Sonic fan community here, from what little I seen, seems pretty cool. Hi guys.

Its annoying, irrelevant, outdated, and people using it think they're being cool and hip when really they're just bandwagoning sheep.

• Thumbs Up 7

I want to ask the people here who've claimed as such: What grain of truth is apparent to the Sonic Cycle?

Note that it was a product of a time where every main game since its inception has seen better and better reception than the last, ranging from "love or hate" to "this is awesome" (Unleashed, Colors, and Generations respectively). The only way I could see that thing having an inherent quality worth bothering with is if you believed that these three games did not receive decent to great scores and if you believed every Sonic fan thought the same way in the first place, in which case I'd call you straight up wrong.

I want to ask the people here who've claimed as such: What grain of truth is apparent to the Sonic Cycle?

Note that it was a product of a time where every main game since its inception has seen better and better reception than the last, ranging from "love or hate" to "this is awesome" (Unleashed, Colors, and Generations respectively). The only way I could see that thing having an inherent quality worth bothering with is if you believed that these three games did not receive decent to great scores and if you believed every Sonic fan thought the same way in the first place, in which case I'd call you straight up wrong.

Well Unleashed actually falls to the Sonic Cycle to be honest. It's the only game I can think of that falls in to it apart from '06. I did remember the huge hype from the game, then more werehog screens appeared, people weren't happy, and then the reviews for Unleashed were poor.

Only Sonic fans would love Unleashed. Others won't touch it.

Sonic Unleashed never claimed that it will go back to it's roots like Sonic 06 did.

Edited by sonfan1984
  • Thumbs Up 1

Well Unleashed actually falls to the Sonic Cycle to be honest. It's the only game I can think of that falls in to it apart from '06. I did remember the huge hype from the game, then more werehog screens appeared, people weren't happy, and then the reviews for Unleashed were poor.

Only Sonic fans would love Unleashed. Others won't touch it.

• Thumbs Up 4

Sonic Unleashed never claimed that it will go back to it's roots like Sonic 06 did.

Edited by Ming Ming Love

I think the Sonic cycle is full of crap. It has some truth to it but it's mostly used by people who hate the direction that Sonic's gone in since Sonic Adventure came out in 1999.

What makes it really annoying is how everytime a Sonic game was released people would use the Sonic Cycle to judge the game before it even came out and troll the fanbase.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ignoring the overwhelming majority of critical opinions to try and demonstrate that the reviews were indeed negative is some pretty far reaching. xP

^ @ Vamp: What truth to the Sonic Cycle is there?

Edited by Nepenthe

Ignoring the overwhelming majority of critical opinions to try and demonstrate that the reviews were indeed negative is some pretty far reaching. xP

Edited by Treacher

Very early on, since its leaked reveal, it's new 2D-3D switching mechanic, the fact that only Sonic was/is playable, and how there was an emphasis on speed without any alternate gameplay diverging from it or slowing it down (yet) it was considered as a somewhat supposed "return-to-roots" game. Even if it wasn't exactly a genesis game in 3D, but then again, neither was 06.

The part about how at first when a new Sonic game is announced people get excited then when they learn that there will be a new character in it they get upset and some will start saying the game will suck.

That parts true.

There's only been three new characters in the main installments since the meme was conceived: Chip, Yacker, and the Time Eater, and I honestly feel you'd have a hard time even proving significant portions of people worth bothering with actually claimed their respective games would suck based off of their presence alone.

If you're going to put down Time Eater, then you should put the Werehog in to, right? =o

The Cycle appeared two years after Sonic 06. I don't think we can hold it accountable for games long past. xP

See, this is the big kicker with the meme I mean to demonstrate: You have to really stretch certain parts for it to even be remotely relevant. A broken clock may be right twice a day, but why are you placing stock in a broken clock in the first place?

Good point...

I had a relook at the cycle, there is one part that is still true and that's the first part of the cycle. You can't really deny that can you? XP