Awoo.

Sonic 2 HD

Ming Ming Hatsune

Download available. http://sonic2hd.com

Unfortunately no Sonic 2 HD for me. Forgot to read the "recommended" settings and the reality on my laptop is: horribly lagging, Tails and Sonic´s sprites replaced by black squares. No wonder, 1.8GHz can´t do much. At least it handles Sonic Mania well.

Just uploaded a quick playthrough:

It looks nice and plays pretty good.

Physics are decent, a bit rough in places, but good so far.

The art is a heck of a lot better than I was expecting it to be. God damn this game is gorgeous. It plays almost perfectly, and after a single playthrough I encountered only a single bug (and it was related to the graphical effects during HTZ's earthquake). This is really, really good effort. Congrats to the team.

I've said before that I would prefer Mania sequel to continue to use faux-retro graphics because of how much easier that would be for a small team to handle. I'm not about to change my mind on that, but SEGA were willing to invest the time and money, hod damn I would love an an official Sonic game that looked like this.

• Thumbs Up 2

No flying shenanigans as Tails :c

Other than that, wonderful stuff, and I don't even like Sonic 2 that much. I encountered a ton of bugs but hopefully they'll be fixed by the time the final release approaches, since the gameplay is pretty close all the same. I really hope they add Tails' flight down the road, since that ability is ultimately what makes Sonic 2 on mobile enjoyable for me to play on top of all the features that version already has.

Probably my biggest complaint is the performance. Lots of screen-tearing for me and even when I play on borderless window mode, the game is pretty laggy on my gaming laptop. Also, Eggman behavior seems different than before and I got hit way more times on the EHZ and CPZ bosses than I remember on the Genesis version.

14 minutes ago, Sean said:

I encountered a ton of bugs but hopefully they'll be fixed by the time the final release approaches, since the gameplay is pretty close all the same.

What bugs? I was surprised by the lack of bugs that I encountered, so it doesn't surprise me to here that there are some.

Also, the team threw in one of the same sorts of awesome Easter Eggs that I'd expect in Mania. Take the shortcut that passes the water rising section in CPZ2 and just before you reach the boss, you'll find your way in to this room...

silversoniccapsule.thumb.png.9e215614d36d9b7752ae6f75bdbe601f.png

Love it.

• Thumbs Up 2

I only played once so things off the top of my head:

- There's a monitor in Hill Top Zone (forget which act) that you can't spin into, even if you're standing next to it and spin dash

- Some technical things like how your character jumps when you unpause the game, and also when I booted it for the first time and fiddled with some options, it crashed and I got an error message related to the Sonic Orca engine.

- Physics seem a little off but not in a way I can adequately describe, like when I'm playing this I'm thinking "hm something doesn't feel accurate to the original but I can't put my finger on why." The only examples I can give have to do with the way you jump off slopes; the behavior seems different than before. Also I can't jump out of loops I think? I tried and couldn't pull it off.

- Attacking some enemies seems to damage me no matter what. This happened with some (not all) of the pink lava enemies in Hill Top.

Fair enough. Yeah, the physics aren't quite perfect. Trying to take the aforementioned shortcut in CPZ2 was a lot harder than it should be, and that was primarily due to jumping off slopes not being the same as the original. They physics are almost there. Plenty good enough, although it would be a shame if they're not fine tuned some more.

I didn't notice the pause jump bug, but yep that's definitely a thing (gorgeous pause menu, btw). Nothing else is sticking out yet. After the trainwreck that was S2HD a few years ago, I'm really pleased with how this new build has turned out. Kudos to the team.

• Thumbs Up 3

The game's performance isn't too great on my machine. Granted, it's not that great of a machine (and I was able to claw back some performance by turning down some settings, but it still wasn't perfect. I guess resolution will have to go next :/).

Overall, it was pretty good though! I'll echo the sentiment of the physics being almost there but not quite perfect, but I'm sure that's something that can be ironed out with more time and elbow grease. All-in-all, an impressive effort from all the peeps on this project.

Did a quick run of this and yup, this was a pretty damn well made remake. That EHZ Act 2 music took me by surprise and sounded really sweet. His little new top speed animation is pretty dope. The art and animations are looking soooo crisp, too, like damn!

I did find some glitches myself, like the Tails AI just phasing through the floor and sometimes just appearing out of nowhere instead of flying in. I also somehow made a huge Spindash jump and made it to the very top of the tiles of HTZ, ran on top of it a bit before finally clipping through the background all the way down to an earthquake section. Forgot to mention that the camera tends to leave Sonic a lot more than it's supposed to when you're running past top speed. It can get a little distracting especially on CPZ.

The physics are almost there. Some slight differences like how you can jump in the middle of curving walls and still the have momentum to run up them. Sometimes Sonic doesn't stick to the ground if he picks up a little a little too fast and if the ground divots upwards a little. Jumping inside loops to hit corners to gain speed seem a little off. And Sonic seems a little slower picking up acceleration. Still plays pretty damn fine regardless. (Side note: You can't hold down and cheese against CPZ's boss. Also, other than HTZ's boss, you can't really cheese and stick Sonic inside Eggman to quickly kill him. I also swear that Eggman's drill has a larger hitbox in EHZ)

And yea, lots and lots of screen tearing on my end. Got one random lag spike in HTZ and 1 - 2 hiccups on other zones, but it ran pretty smoothly and consistently otherwise.

So yup, pretty impressed so far. Looking forward with what else they got cooking.

Just played though the new demo and wow, I'm pretty impressed. The presentation is amazing; the graphics, animation and music are all just wonderful.

Everything seemed pretty spon-on to me as far as gameplay goes. There were minor things like the camera acting a little weird when going incredibly fast in Chemical Plant, or bouncing off of badniks or monitors at times not feeling exactly like the original, but nothing that prevented this from being an awesome experience.

I didn't encounter anything that I would consider a "bug", but my only true complaint would be that the Chemical Plant boss seemed pretty... jittery, compared to the original. I had two deaths just due to how erratically he was moving back and forth. Other than that one thing though, this was a joy to play through. I can't wait to see more as this progresses further.

• Nice Smile 1

8 hours ago, Sean said:

No flying shenanigans as Tails :c

Other than that, wonderful stuff, and I don't even like Sonic 2 that much. I encountered a ton of bugs but hopefully they'll be fixed by the time the final release approaches, since the gameplay is pretty close all the same. I really hope they add Tails' flight down the road, since that ability is ultimately what makes Sonic 2 on mobile enjoyable for me to play on top of all the features that version already has.

Probably my biggest complaint is the performance. Lots of screen-tearing for me and even when I play on borderless window mode, the game is pretty laggy on my gaming laptop. Also, Eggman behavior seems different than before and I got hit way more times on the EHZ and CPZ bosses than I remember on the Genesis version.

I'm using a Xeon+RX 470 and am having the same performance issues, and I think AMD is forcing V-sync with this game.

Also, is it just me or is the game just really incredibly loud? Like I had to set my volume all the way down to the absolute minimum when I got blasted by the title music.

19 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

The fuck... It just caused a blue screen and then my laptop just crashed.

Common misconception, but BSODs with modern Windows (will, since Win2000) are Kernel level issues and cannot be caused by user level software under any circumstances.

Instead, you need to look at your drivers and hardware.

2 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

Common misconception, but BSODs with modern Windows (will, since Win2000) are Kernel level issues and cannot be caused by user level software under any circumstances.

Instead, you need to look at your drivers and hardware.

When I tried starting it, an alert said that doing so would put my computer at risk.

At risk of a BSOD? That's not a warning that exists. Are you sure you're quoting the right person? :P

Worth noting that Windows will warn you about unsigned programs it has never seen before, that's standard procedure. Doesn't mean it's automatically malware, but it could be if the source is untrustworthy. Basically it's saying "we have never seen this program before, and nobody has verified it. Here be Dragons."

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

At risk of a BSOD? That's not a warning that exists. Are you sure you're quoting the right person? :P

Worth noting that Windows will warn you about unsigned programs it has never seen before, that's standard procedure. Doesn't mean it's automatically malware, but it could be if the source is untrustworthy.

Good point. Which download link did you use?

Mirror 3, the Mega.nz one. No warning for me, but then I do typically run Windows with elevated settings due to the SDK stuff I have/need. Other than that, the EXE sure looks clean, and running it hasn't produced any obvious issues. Doesn't even ask for admin privileges.

Just now, Edward850 said:

Mirror 3, the Mega.nz one. No warning for me, but then I do typically run Windows with elevated settings due to the SDK stuff I have/need. Other than that, the EXE sure looks clean, and running it hasn't produced any obvious issues. Doesn't even ask for admin privileges.

That's odd, because I used the same one and I was asked for admin privileges.

Not sure if anyone's brought this up yet, but is there a reason they're not crediting Tee Lopes for the music? Some of it is clearly still his.

15 minutes ago, Chaos Control Freak said:

Not sure if anyone's brought this up yet, but is there a reason they're not crediting Tee Lopes for the music? Some of it is clearly still his.

He gets credited on the "previous staff" page of the credits.  It's possible they can no longer explicitly credit him because it'd be a bit sticky for him to still be "involved" in fan projects like this that TECHNICALLY undercut SEGA's own efforts (and SEGA are very gracious to allow them to exist).  Also tbh unless anyone can confirm otherwise the new musician's name is so similar to Tee Lopes it might just be a pseudonym due to the aforementioned issue lol.