Awoo.

Sonic 2 HD

Ming Ming Hatsune

So if some fans can copy the physics from Classic games why Dimps can not do the same? That's what my main point is.

Anyone else notice how they fixed that first spring in Emerald Hill Act 2 so it wasn't as cheap?

In the original Emerald Hill Act 2, the first spring that shot you diagonally up forward threw you straight into a Coconuts in a tree if you didn't alter your trajectory (and even if you did you were likely to get hit anyway unless you had already gone forward and killed the Coconuts). However, in this the spring thrusts you PAST all that and makes you land straight on the platform next to the Speed Shoes.

Now Sonic 2's fundamental flaw was kinda cheap Badnik placement. It's nowhere near as bad as the Advance titles, but in stages like Metropolis Zone it's extremely prevalent. This HD remake seems to be addressing this flaw so that it not only revives Sonic 2, but IMPROVES it.

Really enjoying playing the Alpha.

Edited by SiLeNtDo0m
  • Thumbs Up 2

Anyone else notice how they fixed that first spring in Emerald Hill Act 2 so it wasn't as cheap?

In the original Emerald Hill Act 2, the first spring that shot you diagonally up forward threw you straight into a Coconuts in a tree if you didn't alter your trajectory (and even if you did you were likely to get hit anyway unless you had already gone forward and killed the Coconuts). However, in this the spring thrusts you PAST all that and makes you land straight on the platform next to the Speed Shoes.

Now Sonic 2's fundamental flaw was kinda cheap Badnik placement. It's nowhere near as bad as the Advance titles, but in stages like Metropolis Zone it's extremely prevalent. This HD remake seems to be addressing this flaw so that it not only revives Sonic 2, but IMPROVES it.

Really enjoying playing the Alpha.

I also noticed that!! As soon as I hit the spring I was "AAargh I'm gonna crash" but when I passed that area and landed on the platform I was like "Oh my god they changed it phew" cool.png

I wonder that if they keep going they will change little things like that in the game.

That guest editorial was one of the best things I've read from that site in awhile

And this game will probably never come out. I mean two years ago they said they were almost done with EHZ and just now we're seeing a demo of it? Like I appreciate the effort put into this, but to what end?

And DRM can go fuck itself, especially for a community-based fan-game made by the community, for the community.

Honestly, I like Lost and all, but if this is what he wants the future of the game to be like, and with all the "effort" he's put into it in the past, they might as well just tell him to fuck off and find another programmer.

If only this was Sonic 3 HD or even Sonic 1 HD, but alas it's 2 so I don't really care about. Don't see how 2 is considered the definitive Sonic game when 3&K have toppled it in many places.

I also noticed that!! As soon as I hit the spring I was "AAargh I'm gonna crash" but when I passed that area and landed on the platform I was like "Oh my god they changed it phew" %7Boption%7D

I wonder that if they keep going they will change little things like that in the game.

That's not a flaw they specifically fixed, it's one that inerently addressed by the fact they're using S3 physics instead of S2s. In S2 there was a speed cap in air, while in S3 there wasn't . Simple, yet awesome stuff.

Edited by HYDROCITEE
  • Thumbs Up 2

Anyone read the S2HD editorial from Sonic Retro?

Really great read if i do say so my self.

Well that was fun, can't wait for the rest.

Oh you'll be waiting all right...

Hope they can enforce the Sonic Megamix way of turn into Super Sonic as well as switch back to your normal form. I hate jumping and transforming the moment I get 50 rings when I want to conserve them.

Protip:

Go to Retro, and then press Up, Down, Left, Right, A, then Enter on your keyboard.

• Thumbs Up 4

I finally did play the alpha release, and the alpha release is really faithful to the original game and the original level, albeit with some changes. The only thing that really irked me was that if you got a TIME OVER, the clock didn't reset to 0:00. Since I got a time over shortly after hitting the last checkpoint before the boss, and I didn't have enough time on the clock to defeat him. In the long run, I had to reboot the game. I can't wait to see more. And I personally thought the credits thing was hilarious, with all the multi-colored Sonics running amok the level. xD

In terms of the whole DRM thing, I think they should get another programmer or LOst needs to quit tring to make the game hackproof or whatever; it's hurting the game's development. :/

Ugh, no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get the combination to play as Tails. :/

Protip:

Go to Retro, and then press Up, Down, Left, Right, A, then Enter on your keyboard.

lmao

Edited by Madame Amano

In terms of the whole DRM thing, I think they should get another programmer or LOst needs to quit tring to make the game hackproof or whatever; it's hurting the game's development. :/

Yeah, i don't get why LOst is working so hard to protect the game. It is just a reversed engineered engine of Sonic 2's.

And i guess i understand he would want to protect his engine, but it's not his engine.

And you know he's paranoid when he protects it so much it triggers Anti-Virus.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh me, oh my!

http://www.sonicretro.org/2012/04/public-service-announcement-keylogger-cleaning-up-sonic-2-hd/

Earlier today, I was contacted by a professional antivirus employee who was interested in why Sonic 2 HD consistently popped up as a threat by multiple antivirus software programs and did some investigation. His results showed that a keylogger is part of the Sonic 2 HD software. After receiving this notification, we conducted our own independent tests and found that there is indeed a keylogging program as part of the Sonic 2 HD alpha software.

I want to emphasize that at this time, we have found no evidence that the software has been “phoning home” any data—only that we have found the capability exists.

Because this vulnerability has been found, we are strongly advising that the software be removed. You will need to delete the files included with the Sonic 2 HD zip, as well as the registry keys hooked at HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/NakaSMK (if you are unfamiliar on how to do this, go to Start->Run.., type regedit, follow the folder path, and then delete the NakaSMK folder.)

We will have more information on the situation as it evolves.

• Thumbs Up 4

Wait I heard its getting to the gaming blogs already, that true?!

...Yeah this is worrying now because this is going to leave a huge shit stain on not only this project but the Retro community as well. the idiot masses are going to think there going around spreading key-loggers and whatnot in there fan-games/hacks and watching their activity when in reality its just some lunatic whose gone too far with a fan-game. Remember, idiots tend to lump in a whole group for 1 persons actions.

Maybe it is a good idea that the ties were cut with the Retro community and this fan-game. All I know is that Luke Plunkett, Jim Sterling, and TSSZ are all going to have a collective jerk off over this and how to make us look even worse.

Edited by goku262002

Yeah deleted all the files and did a virus scan to make sure. I'm all good. (I think..)

Well Ming Ming, or in fact on of the mods, go ahead and fix up your first post.

*phew* Fancy thing to read up on in the middle of insomnia. *-*

Sucks, I feel awful that the team has to put up with this now.

lOst seems to think he's making this game with people from Sonic Cult the way he's going. The idea was so that people couldn't (poorly) edit in their crappy recolor the hedgehog fan character. This was litterally a consideration from almost day 1 for some people, and the funny thing is I see where they're coming from, but that ship has sailed, onto Harry potter and twighlight, and probably hunger games is next. There seems to be a trend of the most popular things being a juxtaposition of life an death scenarios with a complete lack of any real edge. Funny thing, that.

Do me a favor guys, Spread the word on the whole Issue with LOst and post the editorial along with it on whatever gaming press site you go to and you see the article pertaining to this. Luke's word warping is going to be one of many idiot journalists who are going to make it look like Retro are the evil development team who are putting keyloggers in fangames and trying to steal data when we all know thats not the case.

Unless you hate/have a bias against Retro, then just sit back and enjoy the show.

Edited by goku262002
  • Thumbs Up 5

Good god, this is going to mess up fan gaming in general. Is this guy really this paranoid that he not only DRM'd but had a key logger to prevent people from editing the game?

What a jerk, and what a way to make things truly unsettling :c

Do me a favor guys, Spread the word on the whole Issue with LOst and post the editorial along with it on whatever gaming press site you go to and you see the article pertaining to this. Luke's word warping is going to be one of many idiot journalists who are going to make it look like Retro are the evil development team who are putting keyloggers in fangames and trying to steal data when we all know thats not the case.

Unless you hate/have a bias against Retro, then just sit back and enjoy the show.

?comment=48733690#comments]http://kotaku.com/5900549/sonic-2-hd-contains-keylogger-delete-immediately-[update]?comment=48733690#comments

Edited by Jetronic