Awoo.

New SSMB Rules - You better read them.

Roarey Raccoon

Right! These seem simple enough to follow.

Aye, I imagine most members wont have any problems at all following these XP.

I can't even tell which rules are new :-/

But yeah, they're simple enough. Most people should be able to follow them by simply acting normal.

I can't even tell which rules are new :-/

But yeah, they're simple enough. Most people should be able to follow them by simply acting normal.

Well the main difference really is that these rules are more comprehensive, they explain things better than the old rules page, which was just a few paragraphs. It's more useful for members to have the rules fleshed out properly like this and more useful for staff too XP.

• Thumbs Up 9

I had actually been looking over the rules the other day before you all updated them. It seemed kind of skimpy and bare-bones, but I'm really appreciative of this more detailed set of rules.

Not that I intend to backseat mod here, but I really want to give out a warning out of experience:

I suppose I'll be the guy who'll sheepishly raise his hand in regards to image/video spam in the past. It was really dumb, so I want to give a supporting nod towards this rule: you WILL get struck/suspended for doing so, especially if you're a repeat offender. I have been reprimanded several times before, and I know that I will never "resort" to 'witty" image macros to get a point across/pretend to be funny again. (the quotation marks mean that no, it shouldn't be resorted to, and no, it isn't funny)

Just a supporting heads up that the staff is serious about this.

Anyway, that aside, I'm certainly going to continue to do my part from now on. Thanks a million to our awesome moderation and administration team for keeping this home of ours from turning into a little ghetto of mediocrity.

SSMB for LIFE, yo!

• Thumbs Up 1

Can you add that sarcastic/ironic replies is okay if you do it right?

Yeah if you're not being an arse it's fine XP.

I wish these rules were implemented back in the beginning. I totally agree with all the rules. I've read other rules on other forums, this one has the best. It's highly definitive and comprehensive. Way to go!

• Thumbs Up 1

I personally see no change other than the Status update part other than that I was expecting something scary like the SSMB ten Commandments or even worse back when the fourm went through that infamous 'Nazi' phase.huh.png

Edited by BW199148

We had a "nazi" phase? I know that we've always been kind of strict on grammar and whatnot, but was it really that crazy? Was this before 2006 or something?

HEIL DREADKNUX

• Thumbs Up 1

I personally see no change other than the Status update part other than that I was expecting something scary like the SSMB ten Commandments or even worse back when the fourm went through that infamous 'nazi' phase.huh.png

Wow! No kiddin'?! I wasn't here until the summer of 2007. I had no idea there was a phase like that. Anyway! I'm glad that phase is over. SSMB is the best forum of all-time in my book and it always will be to me. :D

Good, we now have a fleshed-out set of rules to help people understand them easier. These should come in handy. :)

Wow! No kiddin'?! I wasn't here until the summer of 2007. I had no idea there was a phase like that. Anyway! I'm glad that phase is over. SSMB is the best forum of all-time in my book and it always will be to me. biggrin.png

Yeah...it wasn't a great phase I'll tell you that much.

It looks basically the same but explained alittle more in detail. But I would like some things explained.

"Type in understandable, decent English" <- This Is understandable because of dolts who have bad grammer and follow everything with 10 emoticons. But what about cases where foreign posters come here and don't have good English and in some cases are using google loltranslate to talk to us, will they be striked or given leniency?

"so if you spam it with image macros, videos and other idiotic messages you will end up striked very quickly" <- So does this mean topics like the "The Greatest Youtube Videos You've Ever Seen" or "Sonic X animation styles" topic needs full and complete sentences before posting media? and what about posts that are full and detailed but have an image macro or video? will they get striked as well?

"Trolling is done by terrible people. If you see trolling make sure you report it to staff." <- There was a recent case where a troll named "Sonic 4's biggest fan" came by here and started making Sonic 4 topics. We all knew he was a troll and there was proof of it on other forums, but the thing was he wasn't breaking any rules though he was warned. it wasn't until he crewed out Sean that he was banned. So my question is, Can we report somebody who we know is a known troll outside of SSMB but hasn't caused any trouble here (yet)?

Didn't know there was a "Staff hate list". Wonder where I'am on it?...

• Thumbs Up 2

"Type in understandable, decent English" <- This Is understandable because of dolts who have bad grammer and follow everything with 10 emoticons.

I'm know to spam emoticons but these are separated between walls of text... Does that break the rules?

*Also, points at flag to let you guys know I'm foreign and I've been mostly relying on Chrome's spellchecker*

"so if you spam it with image macros, videos and other idiotic messages you will end up striked very quickly" <- So does this mean topics like the "The Greatest Youtube Videos You've Ever Seen" or "Sonic X animation styles" topic needs full and complete sentences before posting media? and what about posts that are full and detailed but have an image macro or video? will they get striked as well?

I've also been doing this.

Edited by gato

^

a. A lot of what people say can be much more easily understood if they simply use proper capitalization and punctuation. No matter whether English is your native language or not, this is an inherent thing about typing.

b. The key word is spam. Things like the YouTube topic are exceptions, obviously. Basically, if the point of your post is just to put an image macro or a reaction video, you're posting wrong. If you have a bunch of other topic-relevant stuff to say, we'll let one or two slide but don't overdo it or else.

c. Actions are ultimately done at the mods' discretion and we don't want to rely on outside information to determine what we should do about a member here. We can judge them based on what they do here and you're free to report any member who you think is making a mockery of the forums.

• Thumbs Up 1

What if you can't do the last rule? You know the have fun rule.

Does that mean I can get banned for not having fun!? :o

Don't worry I'm only joking here. But hey keep up the good work mods.

:P

Don't strikes go away after a certain period of time?

Not automatically. There are scenarios where we remove them on our own volition due to improved or well noted behavior but since we can't track everyone's movements at all times we ask members with strikes on their record to make an appeal to a staff member after a couple of months passed. We review your history since your infraction and see if you're deserving of a strike removal.

*Clairification*

Ok glad thats explained I know some of it was obvious but I just wanted to know anyways. thanks Sean.

Yeah...it wasn't a great phase I'll tell you that much.

I always heard about it, and I've read the past rules from here in 2005, but I never fully grasped that era. I'd like a good explanation surrounding it.

Overall, this is a good set of rules. While still brief, it's much more elaborated on, which I definitely commend… Still doesn't have that professional impression, but it's nonetheless much better in tone quality.

Now one question: With the revised set now posted, what happens if a mod or admin breaks one of these rules? Do these rules apply to the higher-ups, as well?

Edited by Dark Qiviut

Mods breaking rules? Does not compute.

At times, I've seen a mod or two occasionally submit an image- or macro-only post even after the rule was set last summer. Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Thumbs Up 1

When it comes to staff breaking rules it's the job of admins to deal with it if necessary. If an admin screws things up then Dreadknux, the owner of this here place, can kick some arses there. Generally though staff are here to make sure people follow the rules so we don't end up giving dickheads staff powers in the first place.

• Thumbs Up 1