Awoo.

New SSMB Rules - You better read them.

Roarey Raccoon

There's a staff hate list? ...Well that's pleasant. Seems like the same rules under clearer listing. Good job, Certain other forums could learn a thing or two from this and how effective this staff is.

There's a staff hate list? ...Well that's pleasant.

Yeah kinda rubs me the wrong way, maybe they should re-word it. wink.png

Ah, I remember how the rules were written up before. This is a much better revision of what was previously written, it's detailed, yet simple to understand.

Mods breaking rules? Does not compute.

I remember a few years back, there was one person (can't remember who), but it went beyond mere rule breaking.

So basically, just try not to be an ass and you should be fine.

Looks like a good and definitely understandable set of rules to me. Easy enough to follow but effective enough to make it all work out.

Most of these rules just seem to flesh out things that are basically common sense, but since the GIFT is in place over the internet people obviously need a reminder that "No, we may not know your true identity, but fuck off anyway." Especially when it comes to newer members.

I personally see no change other than the Status update part other than that I was expecting something scary like the SSMB ten Commandments or even worse back when the fourm went through that infamous 'Nazi' phase.huh.png

"Nazi" phase? When was this? This had to have been way back in 2004 or before, cuz I was around in 2005 and as famous as I was back then I don't recall such a phase being around. We were definitely at each others throats in that chaotic period tho.

Psh, everyone knows that rules are made to be broken.

Elsewhere that is. Not here. Nope. I am most definitely not planning on secretly destroying everything including the fabric of time itself.

Easy enough to follow though guys, I mean this is all pretty much common sense so I think the majority of us will be a-okay. Also I've been here since 2006 and I don't remember a Nazi phase. I think forum games and whatnot were phased out and all the sex topics went away after that time, but I think that that was a good thing haha. Unless that era is not what we are talking about here.

This also includes acting like a moderator yourself and posting in bad topics about the fact that it will end up being locked

getting others to post on your behalf will never be welcomed by the staff.

Awesome rules kthnx love you guys not Sean of course xoxoxo

Edited by Noire
  • Thumbs Up 4

Seems simple enough to follow, basically being more comprehensive versions of the old ones n' all.

*goes about business like normal*

• Thumbs Up 4

The rules are pretty reasonable and easy to understand on my end since I try and make nice with everyone. I never try to troll on anyone since it is just asking for trouble.

The rules here are short, sweet and simple; each of the rules state what we should and should not do along with why we should either do or not do. These well-explained rules I feel throw all excuses out the window when one is caught breaking a rule; one can't say they didn't know "such and such" wasn't allowed after being clearly stated in the rules.

Anyway, thank you for putting these rules in place, especially with them being so easy to understand. It's nice to actually read a set of rules and not have a headache after I'm done reading them, as I do in so many other places.

When it comes to staff breaking rules it's the job of admins to deal with it if necessary. If an admin screws things up then Dreadknux, the owner of this here place, can kick some arses there. Generally though staff are here to make sure people follow the rules so we don't end up giving dickheads staff powers in the first place.

Guess that means I'll never gain the amazing powers of the MOD.

Anyways the rules seem simple enough.

Nooo SSMB never had a Nazi phase... Communist on the otherhand!

What do you mean phase, comrade?

Yeah kinda rubs me the wrong way, maybe they should re-word it
"Shit list".

have fun everyone!

• Thumbs Up 9

Wow, really, most guys here don't remember when Dread released the hounds? Huh.

To clear it up for those of you who don't remember, there was a time shortly after I joined years ago in 2005 or so when the forum had basically gone to shit, resembled the current SEGA Forums except with none of the good posts and needed drastic change to clean it up and eventually bring it to the standards you now expect of the SSMB. Basically, Dread snapped one day and released the hounds. For a few months for most people the place was a nightmare to post in, but in those days the most dedicated folks were out for blood anyway and none of them really minded. The people who did mind were gone one way or the other - after all they were exactly who the new policies were designed to be hostile towards.

However even the dedicated guys got tired of it pretty quickly. I am, as far as I can tell, the only person who really, really enjoyed those days where one-line posts were instant strike material. (Hah, maybe it even got exaggerated in my head, nostalgia. n_n) Mind you, I guess you need to be that stringent when you're still allowing full political and religious debates in General.

Whilst I was gone, everyone mellowed out bigtime and the most contentious topics of discussion were banned from here, although we've had a few flashes where the staff have gotten sick of the BS from various sources. Anyone who's been here long enough knows what I mean and you can still see remnants of it in the stickies.

Anyway, that long ramble basically means this: the new rules remind me of a modern version of those old days where you knew exactly what was and wasn't kosher only updated for the current sensibilities of the staff team, and I'm all for that.

Forgive me though if I post a little less myself. I quite like my image macros, thankyou. :3

• Thumbs Up 4

I remember the username Big_Al, and I do indeed remember the futile attempts to politely get a bunch of authority-hating teens to respect the nice admin dude and him much less politely being told to fuck off.

I also remember the metaphoric nuke being dropped on the membership by Dread, not you. Yes you drove it, but you needed his approval for it and when he made that announcement it was totally unrecognisable as being something Dread would say either before or since. I was trying to be discreet seeing as you don't seem to like to be reminded of that particular era of the board but yes, you were the hound he released and it was glorious. You know when Dread of all people is pissed off enough to spit nails in public that something needs sorting out.

It probably reflects poorly on me that I find people being terrified by a (rightfully) pissed-off dude with no patience left nostalgic, but screw it, I know what I like and that's sweet justice being dealt to douchebags. :P

Let's just hope we never need to see that happen again.

Also I apologise if I'm being overly technical and precise here, I've only just completed a dissertation I've spent all month on and being a pedantic arse is a reflex at the moment. XP

• Thumbs Up 2

I had actually been looking over the rules the other day before you all updated them. It seemed kind of skimpy and bare-bones, but I'm really appreciative of this more detailed set of rules.

Not that I intend to backseat mod here, but I really want to give out a warning out of experience:

I suppose I'll be the guy who'll sheepishly raise his hand in regards to image/video spam in the past. It was really dumb, so I want to give a supporting nod towards this rule: you WILL get struck/suspended for doing so, especially if you're a repeat offender. I have been reprimanded several times before, and I know that I will never "resort" to 'witty" image macros to get a point across/pretend to be funny again. (the quotation marks mean that no, it shouldn't be resorted to, and no, it isn't funny)

Just a supporting heads up that the staff is serious about this.

Anyway, that aside, I'm certainly going to continue to do my part from now on. Thanks a million to our awesome moderation and administration team for keeping this home of ours from turning into a little ghetto of mediocrity.

SSMB for LIFE, yo!

Careful everyone, there's some blatant kidnapping/brainwashing goin' on here. Better watch ou-*muffle*

SSMB FOR LIFE ( *v*) /

• Thumbs Up 4

Well, the history lesson was certainly interesting! Never would've guessed that this place was once a hive of scum and villainy. Of a sort, anyway. God knows how long I would've lasted if I had ever been there... Granted, I don't remember ever being an arse on the internet (I wasn't much for that sort of thing), though I was once a naive idiot, being in my teens and all. Long story short, the years I was on the internet before, say, 2009 (I guess), were not my proudest period of internet history for the most part.

In any case, the new rules are definitely comprehensive and easy to follow. Keep up the good work, chaps.

• Thumbs Up 2

...erm...there's this word I keep seeing, and I have no idea what it means...So, what's a "macro" exactly? Sounds like a type of mobile phone/cell phone...

I think the whole trolling thing goes without saying, but better to be safe than annoyed by idiots. Here's something interesting, did you know that here in the UK, trolling is illegal and has been for years.

It was called the "Communications Act" of 2003.

127 Improper use of public electronic communications network

(1) A person is guilty of an offence if he—

(a) sends by means of a public electronic communications network a message or other matter that is grossly offensive or of an indecent, obscene or menacing character; or

(b ) causes any such message or matter to be so sent.

(2) A person is guilty of an offence if, for the purpose of causing annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety to another, he—

(a) sends by means of a public electronic communications network, a message that he knows to be false,

(b ) causes such a message to be sent; or

( c ) persistently makes use of a public electronic communications network.

(3) A person guilty of an offence under this section shall be liable, on summary conviction, to imprisonment for a term not exceeding six months or to a fine not exceeding level 5 on the standard scale, or to both.

(4) Subsections (1) and (2) do not apply to anything done in the course of providing a programme service (within the meaning of the Broadcasting Act 1990 (c. 42)).

http://www.legislati.../21/section/127

I may not know what a macro is, but I know other stuff...