Awoo.

New SSMB Rules - You better read them.

Roarey Raccoon

Might be wrong, but I think macros are just those image memes.

• Thumbs Up 1

It was me who lost it first, actually. I'd been made a mod in 2004 after, as a normal member, I'd made a big topic about how sad it was that SSMB was going down the shitter. After being made a mod I tried to be as nice as possible to members and in return they ignored me and laughed me off. So I went batshit and started blitzing the place and Dreadknux concurred with me. We formed a tag-team and started banning and locking left and right. Eventually we had loads of members calling the staff Nazis and a hilarious topic was made about us, representing us as various main members of the Nazi party. Needless to say the shit did get cleaned up and the forum has been much better for it since. I think I personally banned over 200 people. I was the most hated staffer for quite some time XP.

Yeah I was avoiding pointing fingers or anything my memory is fuzzy at best but I do remember your scary presence around the forums for awhile. I knew every time you showed up to a topic that something was about to go down. looking back over my MSN chat logs you weren't the most favorite topic of conversation theres even some copypastas that don't point you in a great light. (Heres something interesting, I was threatened to be banned once over improper capitalization! Yeah that was a pretty bad era but it worked I capitalize now!)

But, regardless, past is past. most of our history is wiped out anyways so it doesn't matter now.

Edited by goku262002
  • Thumbs Up 1

A macro is an image that is used as a meme. An example would be, say, the Sonic Cycle or anything from "My Face When." An image used to display an emotion or put a statement across in a fashion that is usually used in a humorous or cynical manner. Another example is the whole Gumball Eyes fiasco that happened a year or two ago.

As I understand it now, it's a problem when used as the whole of your post or if it's used in an insulting manner, though embedding it into a relevant post with valuable or meaningful discussion value doesn't seem to be an issue. The point is you shouldn't have to rely on image macros to get a point across, and it's usage is generally spam-worthy.

Careful everyone, there's some blatant kidnapping/brainwashing goin' on here. Better watch ou-*muffle*

SSMB FOR LIFE ( *v*) /

Yes... join us. Join us.

Edited by Indigo Rush
  • Thumbs Up 2

Hm ,would it be fair to say that, apparently, the 2004-2005 period was this message board's dethroning "moment" of suckishness?

Actually 2005-early 2006 according to My old chat logs, thats when the complaining about Roarey started in my book. 2004 was a calm before the storm thing around late 2006-2007 things started dying down and reforming to what they are today although there was occasional relapses. All links to topics that no longer exist how sad...

Also, God I was a fucking idiot! I was one of those annoying twats I've come to hate on messenger. Guess that should teach me a lesson on treating newbies with respect, but it doesn't.

Edited by goku262002
  • Thumbs Up 2

Actually 2005-early 2006 according to My old chat logs, thats when the complaining about Roarey started in my book. 2004 was a calm before the storm thing around late 2006-2007 things started dying down and reforming to what they are today although there was occasional relapses. All links to topics that no longer exist how sad...

Also, God I was a fucking idiot! I was one of those annoying twats I've come to hate on messenger. Guess that should teach me a lesson on treating newbies with respect, but it doesn't.

Lol I can imagine there were plenty of conversations about what I cock I was XP. All the more reason, my experience taking the flak, that I'm protective of our staff today. Anyone who fucks with them will have me to answer to.

The thing about this so-called "Nazi" phase was that the rules weren't really any harsher than now; just more strictly enforced. There was less patience with spammers, which was needed - some of the posters had been driving me crazy back in that time and I was very much relieved that the boards got cleaned up. Bailey (remember that name?) got shit done. And it was awesome.

*obligatory mention of Nazi-rap*

*additional obligatory sorrow that no one thought to save a copy of said rap*

• Thumbs Up 1

i only joined last year, but i heard from many sources people talking about Roarey back then, calling him all sorts of shit, a bit pathetic if you ask me to simply rally up against a Mod for stepping up and regaining control

i don't do this forum stuff often, so looking over how seriously some of you took it, is honestly giving me the awkward poker face...

i only joined last year, but i heard from many sources people talking about Roarey back then, calling him all sorts of shit, a bit pathetic if you ask me to simply rally up against a Mod for stepping up and regaining control

i don't do this forum stuff often, so looking over how seriously some of you took it, is honestly giving me the awkward poker face...

You know wisdom comes with age though (sometimes), back then we were all silly little kids trying to find ourselves.... wearing all black and listening to Linking Park 24/7. =p

(Not that there is anything wrong with black, but you know what I mean.)

Oh Pelly <3

I also wanted to add one thing to her post because this shit needs to be put down: DQ, you have absolutely no idea how staff is run here and we're pretty sick of you acting like you know. I remember a status update you made (or commented on) where you said you wouldn't hesitate to call out another moderator or strike them for what you would perceive to be breaking a rule - well I just wanted to say that you've got to be pretty dense if you think that acting like some vigilante among your fellow team members is going to win you any favors if by some freak accident you were made a mod. As Roarey said earlier it's the administrator's job to handle any actions that may be out of line, and it's a mod's job to bring it to their attention. Oh but we have yet to have any problems with any of our current staff members, and the fact that you act like there is some problem just drives us all up a fucking wall. Calling out a moderator for breaking a rule is the stupidest decision possible, and it breaks staff morale in more ways you can imagine. We work together as a team, we make decisions together, and if we happen to disagree with something that a fellow mod does, we bring it to their attention in the staff forum where all the staff can see and we have the capacity to discuss it and be on the same level without it getting dramatic.

I would also like to note that every once in a while, a mod would not feel confident in their actions, and they themselves would bring it up in the staff forum - regardless of whether they really did anything wrong or not. I think this is a perfect sign that the SSMB mods are conscious about trying to avoid stepping out of line and actually handling the forum with as much dedication and passion as we all put it. So if you want my personal opinion, we don't need to threaten each other with warnings and strikes like you think we should, thank you.

I don't think you have any fucking idea how to run this board at all. You just have some sick pleasure in seeing a mod, any mod, be called out and/or humiliated for not being as high and mighty as we supposedly claim we are.

• Thumbs Up 2

Well, well, in my absence I was not aware that you had been provoking the staff like this, DQ. If I see it happen again you're off the forums, so in future if you have a problem with the staff you come to me instead. Because you have seen fit to publicly slag off the staff, I am also saying this to you in public.

• Thumbs Up 1

Didn't you change your name to Bailey, Roarz? Those definitely were interesting times, and as far as I remember the whole thing didn't bother me since I wasn't one of those causing trouble. Well, I was a bit nervous at times of posting a dissenting opinion but eventually I got over that. Also I don't get how people seem to have no idea how a heirarchy works. People on the same rung are equals and usually the best way to deal with anything is to sit down with a cup of warm something and have a chat. But bleh, I don't think it's my place at all to say anything.

Anyway, glad to see the rules have been awesome'd up and all that.

They seem relatively the same to the old ones, just sayin'. Was there a rule about not acting like a dick to the mods and admins, though? I don't remember that existing before, and I'm actually kind of surprised it has to be written down. What kind of ass treats the people that run the site like shit? I thought that goes without saying. Oh dear, I'm naive, aren't I? D:

They're nice and clear about what's ok and what isn't, though. That's what matters, am I right?

Edited by Crow T. Robot
  • Thumbs Up 1

I would also like to note that every once in a while, a mod would not feel confident in their actions, and they themselves would bring it up in the staff forum

So wait, forgive me for being an idiot (I don't deny it :P) but there is a forum only the staff can see, hidden under our very noses? I just have this image in my head now where all the staff are eating popcorn together while discussing the horrible posts made on SSMB that day.

Nah, you guys are cool. This place seems a lot nicer than when I first joined a couple years ago.

So wait, forgive me for being an idiot (I don't deny it tongue.png) but there is a forum only the staff can see, hidden under our very noses? I just have this image in my head now where all the staff are eating popcorn together while discussing the horrible posts made on SSMB that day.

Its nothing new, Theres 2 sub-forums at Retro just for staffers and Oldbies (Old members who have been through the 10 or so forum transitions) that the rest of the board can't see at all save for the topic titles over at the Wiki main page.

I'd also maybe like to add that we're really just you cool guys with a different banner and doing the chores and dirty work, XD. So just treat us like you'd treat any of your other awesome bro members around here and everything is honestly cake from there. Just the normal run down of posting and acting like a human being. That said, humans make mistakes, and that can come from both ends of us, but we'll learn from it and yada-yada.

I know it can be hard with the varied staff we have here to rub on the right side of all of us, but honestly just following what we have dished out and being pretty level-headed with what you do with yourself here works on all our fronts.

This all sounds like vague pep-talk or something, but really, the rules are simple enough themselves that I don't feel like I really need to go into much other than this to drive it home guys, =D.

• Thumbs Up 5

I remember disagreeing with staff decisions sometimes over certain little things (just like in that one topic that one time) but that doesn't change my opinion/discredit the fact that I think the staff in general does a bang up job at keeping this place from turning to a turdhole. Besides, people disagree on things all the time but if they can do it civilly then there is no harm in that right? If everyone agreed on stuff we'd have a pretty boring world. I remember also saying something along the same lines as Qiviut before that was holding mods accountable to certain things here and there too but it wasn't out of a bad will or vendetta or anything, and honestly I've stopped caring about it/changed my stance on it since it happens so few and far between that honestly who gives a shit now. It'd be a different story if Mods were starting to troll people for no reason and abusing their powers, but then I'm sure they wouldn't be a mod if they were that type of person anyway haha. I've long since realized they don't get paid for this stuff and if there was ever a moment where I thought that things were being handled poorly there is always the door - there are other places to go. But I like it here because for the most part I have no beef with this place. Petty Sonic arguments aside lolol

I will say though, that there are actually times when I see things in a topic that I'm surprised staff members let go sometimes, which means that they don't crack down on us so hard really and sometimes let our stupid behaviour slide because in the end some of it is pretty trivial and will just blow over anyway.

Also Wolfy is Wolfy. So like really - Wolfy.

• Thumbs Up 1

They seem relatively the same to the old ones, just sayin'. Was there a rule about not acting like a dick to the mods and admins, though? I don't remember that existing before, and I'm actually kind of surprised it has to be written down. What kind of ass treats the people that run the site like shit? I thought that goes without saying. Oh dear, I'm naive, aren't I? D:

>_> <_< .__.

ehhhhh let's not drag up that shitstorm again

(If you're curious PM me about it, tl;dr I was being a douche for ages and didn't realise until it came to an unpleasant head.)

What we learned from that though is that the staff here care enough that even stuff that gets misunderstood can cut like a knife through butter. I'm quite happy that this rule is here in particular now that you brought it up, because it'll prevent the aforementioned giant misunderstanding from happening twice and had we had it sooner it may never have happened at all. :)

You've always got to keep moving forward taking on board what you've learned and what you've screwed up along the way, y'know? These new rules basically sum up roughly 11 years of staff experience and they all exist for a reason.

Speaking of moving forward, hooray for Wolfblur being staff again: I never got a non-spammy opportunity to say this before. :D

One must never forget the past, one must learn from it.

On a related note to my previous post, I'm still not entirely sure what a meme is...based on what I've seen, it looks like they are running jokes that where never funny. But that being said, I suddenly noticed that Portals famous line "The cakes a lie!" could be a meme and I do find that one funny, and have used it in one of my posts. lol

For the record, I like you Roarey. wink.png

• 2 months later...

I never seen rules so quick and simple like that, I do really like that... Now I always wanted to come here since I use the main site all the time for sonic news. What does that have to do with rules?

From what I heard the staff themself break the rules, The staff themself are cuss happy jerks that some think want this site to die out. At first I thought it was them trolling here so I didn't pay attention but then more people started saying the same thing so I gave up the chance to be here using my normal name just to research this and boy do I hope they are wrong.

So lets see if I can have fun here. But if the rumors are true then I wont come back (Other then the main site as it gives pretty good news on sonic) and I will be sure to spread the word. But we wont have that problem will we? Lets just hope the rating is not below the sega forum... That will be really sad.

Edited by TheResearcher

From what I heard the staff themself break the rules, The staff themself are cuss happy jerks that some think want this site to die out. At first I thought it was them trolling here so I didn't pay attention but then more people started saying the same thing so I gave up the chance to be here using my normal name just to research this and boy do I hope they are wrong.

Well the staff are human beings, so now and then, like everyone else, they can get pissed off with people. However, it is objectively false that staff break rules and verbally abuse members with anything approaching regularity (I can't personally remember one instance). With things like this, you really need to show examples, so when people tell you SSMB staff are all a bunch of assholes, you should ask 'em for screenshots or something XP.

The cuss-happy thing is somewhat true though, especially regarding me. Then again, cussing isn't against the rules, haha.

The cuss-happy thing is somewhat true though, especially regarding me. Then again, cussing isn't against the rules, haha.

Oh, the admin himself... I did get a few names but it was buried in other comments so fast that I didn't exactly get them.

When I say cuss happy i mean in a disrespectful way, like PMing them and calling them names and things like that. If you're interested I could probably get everything I got and tell you in a PM. But I will try to get more proof of this as its understandable the new guy is not trust worthy but I did this more for me so I didn't think about proof because I was going to witness it all, that is the proof I was going to get, my own to see if they are lying or if this place is in fact the way they say it is.

Oh, the admin himself... I did get a few names but it was buried in other comments so fast that I didn't exactly get them.

When I say cuss happy i mean in a disrespectful way, like PMing them and calling them names and things like that. If you're interested I could probably get everything I got and tell you in a PM. But I will try to get more proof of this as its understandable the new guy is not trust worthy but I did this more for me so I didn't think about proof because I was going to witness it all, that is the proof I was going to get, my own to see if they are lying or if this place is in fact the way they say it is.

You can send me stuff via PM if you like, I'd love to read it XP.

You can send me stuff via PM if you like, I'd love to read it XP.

Very well. I shall find a few things for you. You might want to make in forum rules a bit more clear. I already have a locked topic and no where does it say its not allowed.

There is a example of what not to do with the topics but so I created more of a purpose as I was always curious on thoughts on both sides of what people think but nothing saying it's not allowed.

Actually this place is not even that bad. The admin is pretty cool and the mods are right on the spot. This place is so different I might have slight trouble fitting in but that will change in time.

This place is clearly not family friendly but I don't care if it is or not, just makes sure that no annoying little kids comes on and they have to know a few things about sonic to even make a account.

Edited by TheResearcher