Awoo.

Sonic Mega Collection Plus Emulation Issues

Shane

I've had Sonic Mega Collection since it was released for GameCube, and I have recently picked up a used copy of Mega Collection Plus in order to compare.

My copy of Mega Collection Plus was used, however. So I'm wondering a few things...

Why is it that Sonic 1's emulation is screwed up SOMETIMES? The sound effects are out-of-sync, and the music is scratchy, this isn't all the time. I'd like to know why it's so inconsistent. And, furthermore, when I played it on a friend's PS2, Sonic 1's emulation was worse than ever and never worked perfectly at all.

The background movies freeze and the music stops playing, and some games don't have background movies at all, but I think that's a cause of the disc, as I bought it used for a cheap price.

If I was to pick up the Xbox version, would emulation problems be present or would the games play finely as on the GameCube version?

And does this game experience any problems when played on an Xbox 360?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shane

• Sean

• Crystal Kingfisher

• eXtaticus

From what I've read, Sonic Team were inexperienced with emulating for the PS2/XBox, and so Sonic Mega Collection Plus suffered from problems that weren't present in the original Gamecube version. I've heard these problems pop up in every other review I've seen for it, and so I didn't bother to buy the game.

Edited by Jake

The thing is, I've never heard of these problems existing in the Xbox release, and only in the PS2 release. D:

(By the way, are you Hazel's friend Jake?)

Ah, it could be that it was the PS2 Sonic Team have had problems with. PS2 versions of Sonic games always seem to get the short end of the stick, quality wise.

(Oh, and yeah, I am.)

Thanks. Hopefully someone else will have some input on the Xbox and 360 emulation versions of the game.

(Hey, I'm Hazel's friend, Shane. I remember talking to you on MSN last year. ^^)

Edited by XD375

What do you mean by 360 emulation versions? Do you mean Mega Collection on the 360, or do you mean the emulation used in Ultimate Genesis Collection?

I never played Mega Collection plus.. does it have anything better than the normal mega collection?

And speaking of emulation issues... a friend's cousin got Sonic 1 on VC. I wanted to test out how it felt when playing with a Wii remote on it's side because I usually love playing games that way... it really sucked and I kept making short hops. I also noticed that the clouds in green hill didn't scroll. What's up with the short jumping?

Mega Collection Plus has the six Game Gear games that weren't in Gems Collection.

There were multiple versions of Sonic 1. Only the first was released in America, which is used on the Virtual Console as well as other re-releases. Later versions added extra effects such as scrolling clouds and a fixed level select.

I don't know anything about the Xbox version, I have the PS2 version because I got it back in late 2004 using a Gamestop/EB Games gift card I got for Christmas that year, and we didn't have an Xbox. I have a 360, but I have about 12 or so original Xbox games for it (all of which are BC with 360), and we don't have SMCP on it because we already have it on PS2.

And the only differences between SMC and SMCP are that SMCP has bonus features (I think) and 6 GameGear Sonic games (but the only good one on there is Sonic Chaos). I don't know TOO much about SMC because I never played that one, and I find it pointless to buy that if I have SMCP for PS2 and the Ultimate Genesis Collection for PS3.

I already have Gens along with Sonic 2 and a few others, but I tend to enjoy playing console games on consoles.

Besides, emulation is illegal and I'm sure posting those links goes against the rules here.

Edited by XD375

I had the same problems with the PS2 version but not with the X-box version.

Edited by Erazor

Thank you! :]

Now, do any problems exist when the game is played on the Xbox 360?

If my friend wasn't playing right now I'd check for you but I doubt that there would be any issues since it doesn't necessarily require alot of processing power.

Mega Man Anniversary Collection's NES games have issues.

(So do the others, but still.. If NES games have issues then Mega Drive may too. Then again, those were ports of PSX remakes while this is emulation...)

Edited by XD375

Apparently the Mega Man/Mega Man X compilations suffer from enough problems as it is - I remember once reading a list of errors that made my heart shudder. It seems more desirable to use unofficial emulation...

Thank you! :]

Now, do any problems exist when the game is played on the Xbox 360?

Only on Angel Island Zone in Sonic 3 where the music sometimes goes scratchy and rough, but this is due to XBox emulation, NOT MegaDrive emulation.

My PS2 version used to play perfectly on my PS2, I only started to see issues when I played it on the PS3. Although I already have most of the good games as ROMs on my laptop it is good incentive to get the SUGC soon.

Jake - Mega Man games are best played on their original systems. The collections are nowhere near the quality of even the PS2 version of Mega Collection. Just play them on the Virtual Console or something. :P

Anyway, I am sure the Angel Island music will get a fix sometime soon. It would make sense seeing as the game is due to be released as an Xbox Original. :D

Edited by XD375

I only have it for PC. It doesn't have problems I think, but it's been awhile since I picked it and played it.

Apparently the Mega Man/Mega Man X compilations suffer from enough problems as it is - I remember once reading a list of errors that made my heart shudder. It seems more desirable to use unofficial emulation...

I have the Mega Man Anniversary Collection for Gamecube and I never noticed any problems.

Music doesn't loop, controls are messed up (in GCN release), all Mode 7 used in Mega Man 7 is gone, etc.

Music doesn't loop, controls are messed up (in GCN release), all Mode 7 used in Mega Man 7 is gone, etc.

I didn't think the controls were messed up, it takes a little time to get used to it. And I haven't played it in a while, but I think I remember the music looping.