Awoo.

PlayStation 4 Discussion

Detective Shadzter

Uh. Redownload all content? It's all tied to your user/email. You can even remotely deactivate accounts on broken systems via web or calling tech support.

I don't really like this "generic" response. What if that's not the case with the ps4? This gen that will probably work, but with the next generation who knows really. Also, what if you own a physical copy? Can't really redownload those

...It's like the video game industry is trying to shoot themselves in the foot for some reason nowadays. Seriously, why is everyone is now out to ban, let alone discourage, the use of used games?

Edited by Madame Amano

...It's like the video game industry is trying to shoot themselves in the foot for some reason nowadays. Seriously, why is everyone is now out to ban, let alone discourage, the use of used games?

Based on an article I read somewhere, its basically a case of the guys at the top of the Food Chain being on a severe power high. When someone gets power, they tend to think of themselves as perfect gods in terms of their abilities and decisions, and as a result, tend to make unneccessary gambles because they think they can't do no wrong. It also doesn't help that alot of people in power are about as close to the common man as I am close to my birth mom (non existent due to lack of communication).

To be fair, this is a severe generalization, and not every guy in power is like this, but a fair number of those guys at the top aren't exactly doing a good job of disproving these generalizations.

Edited by Enigma2Me

I don't really like this "generic" response. What if that's not the case with the ps4? This gen that will probably work, but with the next generation who knows really. Also, what if you own a physical copy? Can't really redownload those

Why wouldn't it be? It is the case with PSP, PS3 and Vita. Sony wants you to keep spending money on your account and all purchases will be therefore tied to it - including retail game activations if these rumors weren't total bullshit. You'd put the game in your new system, it'd check that you're using the linked account (yours) and then you'd be able to play.

Part of this seems to be that there are two categories of used games nowadays, and the standard response to not liking one group of something is to ban all groups. Your standard used games, which have been around since Atari days if not before, are older, often out-of-print things that you missed, or had one and lost, or wasn't available in your area, or whatever. I really don't think these are a lot of bother to the companies. What they're really targeting, I think, are the much newer( in my experience) racks of 'USED GAMES!' set right below the brand-new sealed copies of Game X on its release day. So either there were a whole lot of people bought/played/ finished or gave up on/ returned Game X by 8 am on the day it came out, or there's a whole lot o' scammin' going on. Those I can sort of see the companies having an issue with (although presumably someone must have paid for the games, unless there's a gaming equivalent to sendng the cover back and saying the book was destroyed unsold) but a time ban - say, games cannot be sold as used until they are 3 months past release date - would make more sense to handle those than eliminating all used games, everywhere, period, the end.

Myself, I'm a big fan of backwards compatability and used games, since I often come in mid-way through a series. Most of my GBA games were bought 2nd hand to play on my DS, and the majority of my GC games were bought after I put the 'Cube in the closet to make room for the Wii. Most stores don't have new copies of Luigi's Mansion or Billy Hatcher sitting on the shelf, even if I wanted to buy one. If I still had my Genesis, I'd now be trying to locate Mickey's Castle of Illusion. My preference is to buy new when I can, just to be more certain about condition, but it isn't always an option, and not everything's available as a download.

How is it standard when just about every new console lately is getting rid of it in some way, shape or form? Wasn't there a big deal made a few weeks ago about the Wii-U not being able to play... something. Vita can't play PSP games and if the new Xbox is digital only... buy buy any compatability.

The Wii U can't play GameCube games, but the GameCube is old enough to the point that they can consider releasing the games as digital ones via the Virtual Console. The Wii U still has BC with Wii games, so atleast it has some sort of BC. Sony making it to where you need to repurchase games from a still relatively new console (and one they plan to keep going for 10 years) to play on the PS4 is just one gigantic fuck-up.

Edited by PSI Aqua
  • Thumbs Up 1

The Wii U can't play GameCube games, but the GameCube is old enough to the point that they can consider releasing the games as digital ones via the Virtual Console. The Wii U still has BC with Wii games, so atleast it has some sort of BC. Sony making it to where you need to repurchase games from a still relatively new console (and one they plan to keep going for 10 years) to play on the PS4 is just one gigantic fuck-up.

If being only BC with the Wii makes the WiiU qualify for "having some sort of BC", then the PS4 having PS1 and PS2 compatibility would qualify as such and at a higher grade being two full systems (not to mention the PS1/2 libraries are miles ahead quality wise).

If you want to move the goalposts for whatever reason and claim BC is somehow only acceptable for the closest predecessor then, uh, it's up to you I guess. But even so the WiiU would probably not even live up to that unless Nintendo makes a way to carry the Wiiware and VC games you bought for your Wii, which are not old enough to the point where a re-release would be acceptable.

This is all under the assumption that there won't be PS3 on PS4 ever, be it in from the start, patched later or by selling a Cell-in-a-box addon for twenty bux.

And to further the whole anti-used games thing, wouldn't that defeat the purpose of putting the disc in a second time to play the game?

But even so the WiiU would probably not even live up to that unless Nintendo makes a way to carry the Wiiware and VC games you bought for your Wii, which are not old enough to the point where a re-release would be acceptable.

I would honestly be surprised if this did not happen, actually. Nintendo released a transfer feature for the DSi and 3DS allowing you to transfer DSi games from the former to the latter. Doing the same for the Wii and WiiU is probably a safe bet.

Guys, I just did some time travelling and discovered a tragic tale that spans the course of several years:

The year is 2001; two twelve year olds, Billy and Tommy, are the best of friends. Billy is rich and has a nice house that he likes to invite friends over to often. Whenever there's a party, it'll be at Billy's house. Both of them are passionate gamers, but Tommy has more games. One day, Billy decides to invite a bunch of people over to his house, and the following conversation ensues:

Billy: Hey man, you coming?

Tommy: Yeah! Want me to bring the new Smash Brothers game?

Billy: You got it!? Yeah, bring it over!

Tommy, Billy, and the rest of their friends had a grand old time playing Smash Bros. at Billy's house. It was a beautiful sight to see.

Fast forward to the year 2021. The two of them are still pals, and not much has changed over the course of these years, funnily enough. Tommy and Billy were inseperable. Microsoft and Sony proved with their latest consoles that bullshit anti-consumer policies worked, and so Nintendo followed suit with their newest console, the "Wii Hate U". Billy's hosting yet another party at his house, and so the two of them talk about it:

Billy: Hey man, you coming?

Tommy: Yeah! Want me to bring the new Smash Brothers game?

Billy: You got it!? Yeah, bring it over!

Tommy: ... Wait, I don't think it'll work.

Billy: Huh? Why?

Tommy: It's tied to my console. We can't play the game on yours.

Billy: Aww. Alright, bring another game, then.

Tommy: I can't. They're all like that.

Billy: But... but what will we do!?

Tommy: I don't know. Don't worry about it, I'm sure we'll find something fun to do.

Tragically, Tommy couldn't have been more wrong. Everyone at the party was so bored that after twenty minutes of awkward stares and nervous pacing, they all instantaneously combusted.

The End.

Billy... Tommy... We'll never forget you. ;-;

Solution: Bring out the booze.

• Thumbs Up 5

The main reason why I'm not worried about these things is that it's not confirmed. Until things are confirmed I won't be getting my panties in a twist over it.

I doubt the validity of the anti-used game system and tying disks to a PSN account. It just seems like too much of a foolish move these days. I mean there's been talk and hatred across the net regarding those annoying Online Passes that EA have thrown out there, so tying that to an entire CONSOLE would just kill it before it even hits the shelves.

But still, worst come to worst, I'd rather have a disk tied to my PSN account, than the actual console itself. At least that way, if I go 'round to somebody elses house, I can just sign in using my PSN account and play the game that way.

Frankly though, I'd rather they didn't have it at all, but....

By the way, how would such a system work with video game rentals....

Edited by Scar

If being only BC with the Wii makes the WiiU qualify for "having some sort of BC", then the PS4 having PS1 and PS2 compatibility would qualify as such and at a higher grade being two full systems (not to mention the PS1/2 libraries are miles ahead quality wise).

If you want to move the goalposts for whatever reason and claim BC is somehow only acceptable for the closest predecessor then, uh, it's up to you I guess. But even so the WiiU would probably not even live up to that unless Nintendo makes a way to carry the Wiiware and VC games you bought for your Wii, which are not old enough to the point where a re-release would be acceptable.

This is all under the assumption that there won't be PS3 on PS4 ever, be it in from the start, patched later or by selling a Cell-in-a-box addon for twenty bux.

Guys, I just did some time travelling and discovered a tragic tale that spans the course of several years:

[...]

There is a distinct lack of porking in this internet fanfic. Would not recommend.

What I mean is that compared to this rumour, the Wii U would actually HAVE BC compared to the PS4. If it doesn't have PS3 BC, then I don't think it'll have PS1 and PS2 considering the PS3 doesn't (Or does it have BC for the PS1?)

All PS3s can play digital and physical PS1 software. Now they're adding digital PS2 games to the mix. Vita is compatible with digital PSP games and will be patched for digital PS1 compat. (hopefully the delay means they're finally upgrading the old emulator with some filters). If it doesn't take physical games it's just because it lacks a CD / UMD drive.

PS1 BC is 100% guaranteed. Full software PS2 emulation will be most certainly doable on PS4, and even if it wasn't for some odd reason the PS2 classics that have already been retooled will run. Hell, they could even let you run downloadable PSP games if they wanted, the emulator is there.

PSN games are likely to carry over, most don't tax the hardware excessively. Small games, easy to port. The only BC concern a hypotetical PS4 could (should?) have would be in regards to retail PS3 titles, especially those that do all kinds of crazy CPU shit (Uncharted, GoW, Killzone). That's where extra money and effort is required.

Everything else? The job's already done.

Sony 'confident' of launching PS4 before Xbox 720, report claims

http://www.computera...-report-claims/

How can they be confident that PS4 will launch before 720, when they have no idea when 720 is going to be released and they themselves have yet to announce PS4. Utter crap this article is.

Edited by Ming Ming Love

All the articles and rumors about the next generation consoles are pretty full of crap. All sorts of claims on power, backwards compatibility, and various features when none of the companies have really talked about much of any of that. Nintendo has said the most but, even then we still don't know much.

• Thumbs Up 1

The game industry's been flailing their arms in desperation lately, between the recession and skyrocketing game development costs, but they really need to stop dropping their problems on consumers, grow a pair, and find an agreeable and sustainable business model. Now I'm not a used game player, but consumers have the right to that for the same reason they have a right to a used car or a used MP3 player. $60 is probably as high as the average, peripheral and bonus content-free game will ever be able to sell for because it's already a lot to ask for for a mass market product, but publishers need to find a way around that to survive at this point, so that's why we've been seeing so much experimentation with DLC and microtransactions. They're not (necessarily) greedy, just paranoid, and they've started mistrusting the consumer which is leading them in the completely wrong direction. This is why Valve is absolutely thriving on Steam where Origin is a trainwreck. Especially in this economy, models built on trust are going to be the most effective, but through all these bullshit DRM practices, companies are so dead set on destroying piracy and anything else that prevents them from getting their hard earned dollar that they're blind to the fact that they themselves are largely the cause of it.

So yeah, I seriously hope this is just a rumor.

Edited by SuperStingray
  • Thumbs Up 4

Sony 'confident' of launching PS4 before Xbox 720, report claims

http://www.computera...-report-claims/

"News" like these just solidify the fact that I'm growing increasingly weary over this constant anticipation towards the eighth console generation, and the idea of a generation switch in general.

I've never anticipated new consoles as much as I did before consoles were ready to jump to the seventh gen. Even the then Nintendo fanboy in me had a hard time deciding which one I wanted to invest in since at the time I couldn't imagine a scenario when I'd get to own all of them, and they all looked so tempting. Now I'm at a point in life when I don't have much trouble scraping together money to afford a new console, but to be honest, I don't even want to. I'm perfectly content with my PS3, and the only console I'll probably end up investing in is Wii U since it's Nintendo finally conforming to current-age technology.

I'm starting to sound like a PC gamer. I'd probably be one if it weren't for all the franchises and developers I care about providing so many great games on consoles I love. At this rate I sincerely hope that the next generation will be the last "conventional" one.

Agree'd. I'm not ready to jump to the next gen with my PS3 and Xbox yet. I hope we have until 2016 or so. Although, that's probably a pipe dream.

Agree'd. I'm not ready to jump to the next gen with my PS3 and Xbox yet. I hope we have until 2016 or so. Although, that's probably a pipe dream.

Same here. I've wanted a PS3 since 2008. I finally got one....in 2010. :/

Edited by Le Quack