Awoo.

PlayStation 4 Discussion

Detective Shadzter

Buying a new console, you expect games that aren't available anywhere else. You know, exclusives! Hopefully this stupid cross gen thing won't last long and soon enough both PS4 and Xbox One will get a good library of exclusives which they are severely lacking in right now.

Some cross gen games are actually worth buying on the new consoles instead of the old ones. One very good example is Battlefield 4. The game is literally a different game compared to the previous gen version. 64 players, 60fps, resolutions which are 720p (and above on PS4) with very nice and detailed textures and effects vs 24 players, ~30fps and sub-720p resolutions with crappy textures and effects.

Of course the games depend on your preference but I'm just saying that just because a game is cross gen doesn't mean that it can't fully benefit on the new consoles. Gimping the frame rate because you want it to match the previous gen version so that they can have "the same experience" is pretty stupid. DICE and other FPS devs clearly didn't do that.

Some cross gen games are actually worth buying on the new consoles instead of the old ones. One very good example is Battlefield 4. The game is literally a different game compared to the previous gen version. 64 players, 60fps, resolutions which are 720p (and above on PS4) with very nice and detailed textures and effects vs 24 players, ~30fps and sub-720p resolutions with crappy textures and effects.

Of course the games depend on your preference but I'm just saying that just because a game is cross gen doesn't mean that it can't fully benefit on the new consoles. Gimping the frame rate because you want it to match the previous gen version so that they can have "the same experience" is pretty stupid. DICE and other FPS devs clearly didn't do that.

Fair enough. But like you said, not all developers do this. Ubisoft is a clear example, where something like Watch Dogs is downgraded because it came out on so many different platforms. Because of this people don't get their next gen experience, or at least what they expected from E3 2012's demo. Maybe The Division will change that since it's not cross gen, but that remains to be seen.

Honestly, the only games that should be cross gen from 2014 onwards are the usual annual franchise suspects (because that's how they work) and the games that are still stuck in last gen (because they could use the added exposure and it'd be nice getting to play them with higher res/framerate - i'm looking at you Persona 5)

It needs to end. I bitched and moaned about not being able to play the then upcoming Sonic 06

and boy did you learn your lesson :3

I can echo that cross gen needs to die. There is not much in the way of system sellers for the PS4 and Xbox One, and I think Sony and Microsoft are lucky that these new systems are selling so much when 80% of the software library can be purchased on nearly decade old systems. I don't mind significant upgrades on new gen like GTA V, where the graphics are absolutely breathtaking, but Watch Dogs....ugh, why did that have to go cross gen? Ubi would have made more if they made it 8th gen exclusive, because they could have put more resources into the new gen versions as well as keep the trust of the consumer. And in the end the PS4 version outsold both 360 and PS3, and that's with the alienation they caused with the two delays and the downgrade. But I guess money calls their name.

I don't personally believe that exclusives alone are what make a console worthwhile. The PS4 is the best console (PC is a very different market in this regard) to play multiplatform games on right now, which is important. Apart from that, though, I like the its interface and features, I like the fact that cross-play and trophies have created an ecosystem for all of Sony's hardware, and I like the controller. These are all very important things, and that's why the PS4 and XB1 are both doing well right now. They both excel in a variety of ways apart from their exclusives (which look good on both fronts right now) and that makes them compelling products.

Of course, it's a matter of priorities, really.

Metal Gear Solid V may be playable on decade old hardware, but it also runs like shit on that hardware and is missing certain features. The fact that there's a unanimously, undisputably better version there for the exact same price makes it really hard for me to even acknowledge the existence of the "crappy version". 

I don't think cross-gen games are bad on account of lowering the value of the new systems - that's fine. The industry is cyclical by nature and the new machines will have their chance in the spotlight soon. The problem stems from the fact that the actual games themselves are not as good as they could be. I need no further justification for owning my PS4 - the best way to play MGSV will be on that machine and I want to play that. I just want MGSV to be a better game.

...but Watch Dogs....ugh, why did that have to go cross gen?

...because they care more about money than class?

It backfired from them so I'm glad. Watch_Dogs is advertized as a current-gen game, not a last-gen game. If I don't have a gaming laptop, PS4 or Wii U, I still wouldn't touch Watch_Dogs at all. One of the reasons is because Watch_Dogs is suppose to give you that new-gen experience, which you won't get with your PS3 or 360.

• Thumbs Up 2

Games were cross-gen, because publishers were fearful of the performance of the XB1 and PS4.

Unfortunately it was completely unfounded, because both the the XB1 and the PS4 have taken off in a way that wasn't really expected.

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeah actually, considering the Wii U floundered in a way that no third party was anticipating (especially after Nintendo's promises that they'd get a slice of the popular Wii-pie), they probably were really eager to not let that happen again. They had to make sure they had other platforms to fall back on in the chance that the PS4 or XBO underperformed like the Wii U did.

Knowing of the PS4's immense popularity going forward will probably means cross gen games will die out sooner than many third parties had planned, it's probably a relief to them too.

I'll echo everyone and say that cross gen is more of a liability than it is a benefit. I bought Watch_dogs for PS3....and it's kind of shit, like I'm playing a 2006-2007 game. 

...because they care more about money than class?

It backfired from them so I'm glad. Watch_Dogs is advertized as a current-gen game, not a last-gen game. If I don't have a gaming laptop, PS4 or Wii U, I still wouldn't touch Watch_Dogs at all. One of the reasons is because Watch_Dogs is suppose to give you that new-gen experience, which you won't get with your PS3 or 360.

How did it backfire on them? By being the highest selling new IP ever? Even if it did do better on the next-gen systems, it's hardly a backfire.

And what does class have to do with this?

How did it backfire on them? By being the highest selling new IP ever? Even if it did do better on the next-gen systems, it's hardly a backfire.

And what does class have to do with this?

I wasn't clear. I mean the last-gen sales were poor, therefore it backfired. And no, last-gen sales didn't do better than the next-gen sales. In fact PS4 sales beat PS3 and 360 sales combined.

I actually got on the PS4 beta not a while ago. It was pretty cool. =)

Played Final Fantasy XIII-2 and Ben 10 on it. No issues really apart from the boot up times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope. Sorry. :( It costs actual money to play these titles now. I was very lucky to snag these two titles free before they put the rental prices up.

The titles I got will soon expire though in July.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hands on with PlayStation Now 

I agree it should be a subscription, kinda like Netflix if you know what I mean; of course I'd rather they have a 1 month, 3 month, 6 month, and 1 year plan than paying for the games to get them for a few days-3 months at up to $20 a month. At that price I'd rather just pay for gamefly then get the multiplatform games on 360 than ps3 (since I don't have one).

Why don't they offer the option to buy them permanently? That kind of blows. sad.png

Because 20 years from now, PlayStation Now may no longer exist.

I wholeheartedly agree with the Netflix-like subscription. The rental prices are ridiculous. Once Netflix style subscription plans arrive, I'll be one of the first people in line (as long there are titles I want to play). Until then, Sony can kiss my barbie.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, that's a good point actually about it closing. In that case, I think a subscription would be a great idea. They should really do that now that I think about it.

At E3 it was announced that the first Ratchet & Clank PS2 game is being remastered for PS4 and will be released in 2015 to coincide with the upcoming movie.

Here's the trailer for the movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=4Y_cY_miDxo

Well this is good news. From what I've played of the first game on the PS3 HD collection, it's a lot of fun. 

• 2 weeks later...

You can use a PS4 controller on a PS3 wirelessly now. Here's a video tutorial on how to do it

Project CARS looks better and that's coming to the PS4 also, but that's still impressive.