Awoo.

PlayStation 4 Discussion

Detective Shadzter

I hate how if a gaming website gets ONE rumor (more of a guess) correct, then they're credible.

Haven't sony already gone on record saying that they always release their new hardware last on purpose to see what their competition are up to with theirs? I'm sure I've read that, I'll check for the article later, too lazy to do it right now.

If that's true then they'll wait until microsoft make their next move, has there been any confirmation when that'll be yet?

I'm never that excited about new console launches anyway, I can never afford them until they've been out for a year or two...

PS4/Orbi announcement in May?

At CES 2013 Hiroshi Sakamoto dropped a big hint that PS4/Orbi would be announced in May/June of this year. Now the interview is in another language but the rough translation gets us this...

Hiroshi Sakamoto, Sony Home Entertainment general subdirector also highlighted how important the Chilean market is for the Latin-American technology adoption.

LAS VEGAS.- We saw new products in Las Vegas, but also could talk during some minutes with some of the top executives of the main technology companies.

One of these meetings was with Hiroshi Sakamoto, Sony Home Entertainment general subdirector, who told us in a short interview that they have an important announcement related to the PlayStation consoles to be made in the coming months.

The interview continues, regarding other Sony products and technology... then the following is mentioned.

Regarding consoles, people say that Sony will make announcements this year and that would be working on the new PlayStation. Are we going to see a new model in some months?
It's still a big secret, but our Sony PlayStation friends are getting ready. I only can say that we're focused on the games related E3 event, booked for June. The announcement can take place there or even before, in May.

But are you working on a big reveal or in something complementary?
Probably the first, we plan to release big news for this date, but we have to wait at least until May.

Full interview is here.

WOOO! WOOO! WOOO! All aboard the hype train!

badgehypetrain_zpsfb6412a3.png

Edit: Nobody has the same avatar anymore =(

• Thumbs Up 7

Okay, sounds good, BUT it's essential that they be careful about just how much power this thing is packing and how they price it. 

Sony is already in trouble financially and I'd hate to see them go. Are they really ready to risk a new system?

Gotcha bitch! -INFECTED- 

Edited by Spiderman

Of course they'd make a new system, the gaming division of Sony is one of their few that's still profiting to a degree despite some questionable results lately. The question is how powerful they're willing to make it compared to standards imposed by today's high-end PCs. I'm still convinced that for Sony the tech race isn't going to matter nearly as much as back when they could afford to go all-out bonkers with the PS3 and that Microsoft will have the upper hand this generation, but it'll be interesting to see where it goes.

One thing that will be different is that there is no way Sony will bankroll the development of what goes into the next system, so they will have a lot more financial wiggle room to play with when it comes to designing it.

Edited by Tornado

Just jumping in here after skimming the thread a bit. I think Sony is digging their own grave with the used game block and the lack of PS3 backwards-compatibility. Consumers are more tuned in now, and don't take kindly to things like this. Part of the reason I hate using game consoles is because of how commercialized and anti-consumer they have become (I recently updated my Xbox 360 for the first time in years to find that they had put fucking ads on my dashboard. No thank you.)

No PS3 compatibility is something that Sony honestly can't do anything about. The PS3 used an obnoxious architecture, even more so than the PS2, and that makes emulation very difficult.

No PS3 compatibility is something that Sony honestly can't do anything about. The PS3 used an obnoxious architecture, even more so than the PS2, and that makes emulation very difficult.

Ah, okay then. That makes sense. I thought they might be doing that on purpose for some reason.

I still hope they do somehow make the PS4 backwards compatible with at least the PS3. If I get one, I don't want two giant multimedia hubs sitting on my TV stand, one to play new games and one to play legacy games. It would be a little irritating.

Surely Sony could find some way of emulating PS3 games or even put a cheeky little Cell BE in there. If I'm not wrong the bulk of the $599 of the PS3 was due to the Blu-Ray player, it might not be so ridiculous......

While Blu-Ray did shoot down in price throughout the years, the same can't be said for Cell what with using obsolete and rare architecture that's not exactly openly structured. It was the same with the PS2, granted it was possible to emulate those games through software but that's something that's been almost perfected with PC's for the last half decade.

Sony still seems to me like the company that does not give a damn about how much money they blow on their consoles now. So I'm not going to be surprised if the Orbis ends up being a money sink for more than a few years. It would be nice if they realized that doesn't make a console now but, I'm holding my breath. Considering Sony has exclusives I actually find fun, I'll probably get one eventually.

If I got the PS4/Orbi, I can't honestly see me using it to play PS3 games.

Backwards compatability sounds like an awesome idea, but the reality, how many people really use it extensively? I think for all the years I had my PS2 I used it I used it twice, once to play Silent Hill and the other game I can't remember.

PS3... I used it twice, the first time was to finish 'The Warriors' which was the last game I was playing on my PS2 at the time. The second time was to play the PS2 version of Sonic Unleashed, you might remember how the PS3 version was delayed? Well, gamestation at the time slashed the prices of Sonic Unleashed by over half, snagged the PS2 version for under £10 I think, came home, put it in my PS3, played the first stage and decided the game looked and played like crap and didn't bother with it again.

Even with the PSOne games I've not played, I don't think I've used my PS3 to play any of them.

I don't doubt there will be people who want backwards compatability, but in the grand scheme of things, I just don't think it's worth them or any company doing it since it's hardly anyone uses it extensively to justify the expense.

PS1 software emulation is fantastic on Vita already, that's a given. PSP also works if they wanted to enable it on a home console. PS2 should be easily doable, and they've been working with that partially for the ones in the store.

While strictly softare-based emulation for commercial PS3 titles is not viable, I wouldn't rule out a cell-in-a-box addon. Slap that shit on the system and directly play your BDs. Could be sold for a nice profit since it's a peripheral and they're gonna keep making the chips for as long as the PS3 is sold anyways.

The question is how powerful they're willing to make it compared to standards imposed by today's high-end PCs.

What standards? The amount of PC enthusiasts that play maxed Crysis or Witcher or whatever is absolutely tiny in comparison to the PS360 userbase. The most popular games on the platform are either low-spec stuff (ie: League of Legends) or browser facebook flash thingies.

I'd wager stuff like Uncharted or Halo 4 still look on par or better than what the average PC user plays. The generational jump will be good enough to provide comparatively good looking games, even if the extremely vocal minority that spends hundreds of dollars on upgrades every two years keeps being annoying to justify their expenses. I'd rather spend the money in games for the next 5-6 years.

It will be a nice power increase and we will get games that actually use the hardware to the metal. And for less than it'd cost me to upgrade just the stupid CPU on this stupid computer than can't even play XCom properly* even though it has 8 times the RAM of current consoles and 20 times the GPU. Jesus fuck.

*Probably just UE3 sucking again, tho.

Yeah, that sounds like typical devs being shit at optimizing. It's a worse version of inferior PS3 ports that we see when 360 generally ends up as the primary platform. You know what? Sick of that shit too. Devs better get their shit together.

Given that the most powerful gaming rigs can cost thousands of pounds, and hardly anyone has the money for shit that expensive, I doubt Sony would target performance that high. Frankly, I'd be more than satisfied if they managed to reach the performance of a GTX560 Ti (which they probably won't).

Though I doubt I'd get one right away, a big factor is PS3 Backwards compatability. I know its not massively important, but I have a huge backlog and some classic PS3 games that I own, such as CoD4, will never get boring for me and I'd like to be able to play them.

Not a huge issue, because I won't throw away my PS3 (who knows might be considered an antique in 50-60 years), but it would just be nice to be able to consolidate my living space.

Though I doubt I'd get one right away, a big factor is PS3 Backwards compatability. I know its not massively important, but I have a huge backlog and some classic PS3 games that I own, such as CoD4, will never get boring for me and I'd like to be able to play them.

Not a huge issue, because I won't throw away my PS3 (who knows might be considered an antique in 50-60 years), but it would just be nice to be able to consolidate my living space.

Considering Sony's treatment of Backwards Compatibility on the PS3 and Vita, I wouldn't get your hopes up.

But getting back to that "leaked" roadmap, if it's true then we're going to have one hell of a gaming year.  Sony vs. Microsoft is going to be the shit. Looking forward to the countless PR bashing and amazing features and games that we'll be told will be available at launch but then gets delayed right before launch.

Get your Mountain Dews and Doritos ready, it's gonna be a long fight, and only one winner will come up on top.

Ouya

• Thumbs Up 4

What standards? The amount of PC enthusiasts that play maxed Crysis or Witcher or whatever is absolutely tiny in comparison to the PS360 userbase. The most popular games on the platform are either low-spec stuff (ie: League of Legends) or browser facebook flash thingies.

I'd wager stuff like Uncharted or Halo 4 still look on par or better than what the average PC user plays. The generational jump will be good enough to provide comparatively good looking games, even if the extremely vocal minority that spends hundreds of dollars on upgrades every two years keeps being annoying to justify their expenses. I'd rather spend the money in games for the next 5-6 years.

It will be a nice power increase and we will get games that actually use the hardware to the metal. And for less than it'd cost me to upgrade just the stupid CPU on this stupid computer than can't even play XCom properly* even though it has 8 times the RAM of current consoles and 20 times the GPU. Jesus fuck.

*Probably just UE3 sucking again, tho.

On the contrary I was never implying otherwise because I'm right with you. I don't expect Sony to go bonkers with the technology like with the PS3 with this being one of the many reasons as to why, and I'm not exactly expecting a frequent influx of games to be of the same quality that Star Wars 1313 showed which is why I've always maintained that the next technology leap in consoles won't be nearly as visibly discernible.

When you have developers like Epic, Crytek and Avalanche who are fiddling their thumbs begging for consoles to go all out with performance and a bunch of gamers on places like GAF who are desperately waiting for some sort of megaton machine it's easy to lose sight over what should be the most reasonable of expectations.

There is no way in hell the next XBox and Playstation are gonna even get close to high-end PC gaming, unless they actually want to intentionally price themselves out of the market.

And that's not even considering what could happen if Unlimited Detail happens to be a viable tech and turns everything on its head as a result.

Edited by Masaru Daimon

The problem is that there are plenty of people who want a massive increase in power, but don't want to pay for it.

If there isn't a massive leap like there was from the PS2 to PS3, then they will bitch about it. However, if there is a leap in performance that large, they'll bitch just as much when the price is upwards of $599

Even with bleeding-edge hardware, the visual jump wouldn't be that much. If the way things are going now continue as they are, I sincerely doubt we'll ever see a PS2->PS3-like jump in visual fidelity ever again.

Even with bleeding-edge hardware, the visual jump wouldn't be that much. If the way things are going now continue as they are, I sincerely doubt we'll ever see a PS2->PS3-like jump in visual fidelity ever again.

I reckon by Gen 9 or 10 an increase in power will produce an indiscernible difference to visuals. At some stage, I forsee consoles as being exclusively handheld, with a dock which connects to your TV and a set of controllers.

Anyway, all of this is besides the point.

• Thumbs Up 1

The latest rumor?

Goodbye Dual Shock pad design & Orbi is to be revealed in a matter of weeks not months.

A senior games studio source working on an upcoming Sony game says the new system's controller has undergone numerous iterations, few of which resemble the DualShock build that has become synonymous with PlayStation.

Experiments within Sony's R&D department are thought to have been extensive. Versions of the new PS4 pad include biometric sensors on the grips and an LCD touch screen, the development source claimed.

A second source, working in a separate part of the industry but still connected to Sony, said PlayStation engineers are "trying to emulate the same user interface philosophies as the PS Vita". This is likely a reference to the touch-screen capabilities of the PlayStation handheld, and a suggestion that Sony will tightly integrate its portable and home systems.

The new console - codenamed Orbis - will be revealed in a matter of weeks, not months.

Source & Full article.

Ok something might be happening A LOT sooner than we thought, this just got posted on the official Kevin Bulter facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Kevin-Butler/216931652237

Boink, Nope it's not an official page... Yet somehow 10,000 likes? Well alrighty then.