Awoo.

Fridge Brilliance in Video Games

Cortez

Dammit TV Tropes has ruined my life, I should be in bed but instead I'm reading about Fridge Brilliance Moments in Pokemon and I'm not even sorry.

Copying and pasting the TV tropes definition of Fridge Brilliance because I can't even begin to put it into my own words:

First impressions are really important; they build opinions and form relationships. If you screw up a first impression, it can be disastrous. You wish you could do it all over again, and once an opinion is set, it is very hard to change it.

But every once in a while, it could be years later or the next day, you may gain a new respect for what you used to hate. It could be upon receiving additional information, or just that you have grown up a little. Fridge Brilliance is this very idea.

You watch a movie and something about it just seems off, you don't like it. One night, as you get up for a midnight snack, you open the refrigerator door and the light dawns on you, "This is the real purpose behind this plot!"

Because you had that epiphany, what once was a hated moment has become one of your favorites.

I had never even thought about stuff like this before until stumbling across this page, it's amazing how much makes sense with just a little bit of thought (or fan wank) pumped into it. Of course it's not hard to over think something and come up with some logic that maybe even the original creator didn't think of.

This one was particularly interesting to me (Copy + Pasting the entire thing so it makes sense but I'm reffering to the bolded part)

This troper just put two and two together. Lugia used to reside on the top of one of two towers in Ecruteak City, though it now lives deep in the Whirl Islands. It is known to have the power to both calm and give rise to storms. Several Pokédex entries mention that Lugia isolates itself because its powers are too strong. Now, back to the two towers in Ecruteak. One of them is still standing; the other one burned down when it was suddenly struck by lightning. Guess which one Lugia used to roost on?
  • I think that was supposed to be obvious...
  • This troper read the whole thing and realized Lugia IS the master of the beast trio, with Suicune (Water-typed, the rain in the storm), Raikou (Electric-typed, the lightning bolt), and Entei (Fire-typed, the Fire that burned it down) that were created DURING the incident.
  • Yet all three of them died from the fire, and Ho-Oh is the master of them for bringing them back to life.
    • Reading these two previous statements, it makes even MORE sense the Lugia is the Master of the Bird Trio. They all fly, staying in the sky, and as such it can be taken that they represent snow storms (Articuno) thunder storms (Zapdos) and heat storms (Moltres). Lugia can both calm and give rise to storms!
    • Only one little problem with that theory: What the heck is a "heat storm"?
    • Probably meant fire storm. Like during the Victoria bushfires in Australia a year or two back...
    • Heat wave, maybe? Not a particularly flashy kind of weather, not like a thunderstorm or blizzard, but deadly all the same.
    • And another bit of Fridge Brilliance: the Pokemon that died in the storm were probably Flareon, Vaporeon and Jolteon, but came back as Entei, Suicune and Raikou due to Ho-Oh's powers.
    • ...Which is backed up by the Beast Trio's Dream World abilities being the same abilities said Eeveelutions possess normally!

Oh my god, the Kimono Girls in Ecruteak City all use Eeveelutions as well. Mind = BLOWN.

I'd love to know if anybody here had any moments of realisation like this in relation to videogames, or if you've ever read any really interesting ones? This stuff is really interesting to me xD

• Thumbs Up 2

Eggman's level 3 attack in the first Sonic Riders is sleep-inducing flatulence. He basically uses gas to knock out anyone unfortunate enough to get close to him whilst he's in attack mode.

One of Sonic's quotes in Colours in regards to a translator 'mistranslation' may allude to this;

"Well he (Eggman) is pretty gassy. Maybe the smell would knock them out?"

This is possibly a bit of Fridge Brilliance in the respect that it alludes to Eggman's apparent propensity for...ahem...flatulence with knock-out properties.

Ok remember those two one armed Russian henchmen in Batman Arkham City? One of them had a hammer and the other had a sickle. This is an obvious reference to what's on the Russian flag.

There's a lot of that in the Sonic games' writing. In terms of fiction, it's generally below average, but the way the canon connects so well between games makes speculation about characters and phenomena in ways the developers clearly didn't have the ability to think of possible, and so much fun for us as fans to do so.

This is honestly the first thing that entered my mind when reading the topic title. This is, in my opinion, the single greatest moment of fridge brilliance in gaming ever;

Come on, you all did this. Don't try to deny it. mellow.png

• Thumbs Up 3

This is honestly the first thing that entered my mind when reading the topic title. This is, in my opinion, the single greatest moment of fridge brilliance in gaming ever;

Come on, you all did this. Don't try to deny it. mellow.png

Technically a freezer and not a fridge, but I'll allow it.