Awoo.

Tokyo Jungle- Amazing Survival Game with a Pomeranian

Mauro Fonseca

This sounds extremely stupid but um...is this an MMO survival game or just a survival game?

This sounds extremely stupid but um...is this an MMO survival game or just a survival game?

Just survival game I think.

Looks fun, I will give it a try when I get some extra money.

Edited by Tmsp

Nothing MMO about it, 'tis a low budget sidescrolling single player game where you grind your Pomeranian's stats until you can grind dinosaurs into the ground, then you put on a top hat and go have babies.

I heard there's a hastily added local coop mode that's very barebones (Sonic 2 style, the camera only follows Player 1) and that's the extent of the multiplayer component.

• 1 month later...

It's up on PSN and I'm in the process of downloading it. Unfortunately my credit card had expired, and I discovered that I had forgotten my password, so I had to get on the computer, change my password, get on the PS3, change the login password, put money in my account and buy the game. Now I just have to wait 10 hours for the thing to download. Assuming my connection doesn't glitch so I have to start it over when I come home from work - ten hours is an awfully long time to expect my connection to hold steady, and I've got the best connection available in this area.

And it really did. I had to restart the download about 10:15 am when it glitched, and when I got home from work it said it had finished installing at 8:27 pm. (And some people think every game should be download only? Not referring to anyone here, just some game developers and the recurrent rumor that future XBox/Sony will have no physical media available.) Sheesh.

This is a weird game. Started as a pomeranian, and starved to death because I hadn't realized that you don't want to ration your prey - you want to kill it as much as possible (it doesn't seem to respawn). So I tried again and lived three generations and 38 years before starving to death at the point of my final territory mark. Subsequently I was instantly killed by a beagle, and in game 4, I took out two golden retrievers (still a pomeranian, mind you,) and got killed by a beagle - there were no prey animals in that game at all, only other dogs. In the first two there were only rabbits and chicks/chickens in the starting area. So I tried it as a deer and made two generations before running into a tiger in the dark. (A 'bite' signal on another animal actually translated to a kick as a sika deer; I killed a chick trying it out.)

You can save the game, but only at your nest, after you have established a territory by 'marking' four designated flags. I located three of the archives, which give me the barest start of the backstory, and unlocked the first story challenge, but failed to unlock any new animals because I died on the 2nd game right before Claiming the Cats' Territory. There's a challenges list on the Survival mode that tells you what all the challenges are and the rewards for them, but so far they have to be done sequentially; not sure if I'll eventually get a choice of areas.

Edited by Thrippa

This is actually kind of a roguelike game. Oh my.

So, don't get too attached to your animal and don't expect to last 100 years on your first go. Complete as many challenges as possible, mate every 10 years or so to prevent stat loss due to ageing and keep unlocking sweet hats for your dog. Sometimes you get mauled by a random bear or no suitable preys spawn in the area. Gotta deal with it.

Wish I could ditch partners, tho. I was working my carbs to get some bitches and accidentally touched a desperate female. Fuck. And she gave me fleas. FUCK.

Now excuse me while I put fast shoes on this porcupine.

• 2 weeks later...

Spill's Loading bar did a video on this game. I get the impression they don't like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1Cz1UtUNso&feature=g-all-u

So for those that have played it, how is it. Looking at the video, I get Deadly Premonition vibes in terms of just weirdness.

So for those that have played it, how is it.

It's like one of those crazy, quirky japanese experimental PSOne games in the form of a pseudo roguelike. Very good on short bursts, say, picking an animal and trying to get to year 100 / completing all challenges / unlocking more species / boosting stats during a 60min or so run. Sometimes angry hippos will chase you through the rooftops. Definitely not for everyone.

There's secret alligators ambushing you in the grass too. That's gotta be a plus.

How about Toro, Kuro and the LocoRocos? Saw them as free DLC at the PSN store.

How do they play? Especially the LocoRocos.

Edited by Tmsp

Haha, those are plushies to pimp your animal, not playable.

Unlike the rest of the accessories they're unbreakable which happens to be really useful. Kuro's a lifesaver in the early stages of high maintenance carnivores due to the hunger boost he gives.

Now I wish we got weird ass / joke DLC animal packs.