Awoo.

Rebooting the Franchise: Good or Bad?

Kuzu

That would be suicide for the franchise as it stands. It actually sickens me that Skylanders got good reviews when it uses such a disgusting business model. Sega hit a good note with Colors, and they did it again with Generatons. I recently joined the fanbase, and I'm not leaving unless they either openly announce that they'll stop making the games for PC, or they turn the series into a cash cow.

Sonic doesn't need a reboot now. The last two games were good, and if Sega just keeps doing what they're doing, it will regain respect for the franchise. But if they do a reboot in this fashion (cash-cow style), then they will be throwing away everything they've gained in the last 20 years, at least in terms of a fanbase and community.

And if they get rid of Tails, I am leaving.

Edited by Frogging101

Considering the entire purpose of the franchise in the beginning was to sell consoles, it's pretty much always been a cash-cow.

• Thumbs Up 3

Considering the entire purpose of the franchise in the beginning was to sell consoles, it's pretty much always been a cash-cow.

The purpose of any franchise is to make money. But my problem is when companies make something really popular (character, brand, whatever) and then when it gets big enough, they throw quality out the window and just slap the character/brand onto something just to milk it for money until they suck the life out of it.

Kind of like Apple products; people don't buy them because they are better than other products, people buy them because they are shiny and have the Apple logo on them. Another example is Call of Duty; Activision releases a new CoD game for full price every 6 months or so, which is pretty much the same as the old one (same engine, same gameplay) with a new lick of paint. Or the Battlefield series; don't you find it strange that it's taken them many years between each main Battlefield game, and they always end up being really good games? I think that streak is about to end, because EA saw that Battlefield 3 was a huge success and decided to announce Battlefield 4 only months after BF3's release. And surprise surprise, BF4 is going to use the same game engine as BF3, which means they aren't putting much effort into it because they know that no matter what they release people will buy it because it's called "Battlefield".

I much prefer the business model of "Put lots of effort into making something genuinely amazing, and make money", to the model of "Put a bit of effort into something average, and slap something popular on it, and make money".

That's the kind of thing I have a problem with. The worst part is, this business model actually works and people buy into it. I personally hate it.

EDIT: Removed poor analogy

Edited by Frogging101

The purpose of any franchise is to make money. But my problem is when companies make something really popular (character, brand, whatever) and then when it gets big enough, they throw quality out the window and just slap the character/brand onto something just to milk it for money until they suck the life out of it.

Sonic 4.

Honestly Sonic's never been immune to this. Not when he was at his best, not when he was at his worst, and not now, either.

• 4 weeks later...

Or Blaze gets killed off. That work for ya?

And when Sonic annihlates silver, he revives Blaze with a kiss.

• Thumbs Up 2

And when Sonic annihlates silver, he revives Blaze with a kiss.

I had to press the like button on your post just because of you showing self-irony. Quite commendable.

Edited by batson

Im scared of reboots honestly Sonic is been doing well as it is why change all we know and start from 0... Hope they not reboot Sonic sad.png

They tried to reboot Sonic with Sonic 06 and we all know how that turned out. They should keep following the same formula while keeping an eye on the characters and their personal development, any major events and other important aspects related to the game. It was all nice when Generations made references to what had already happened to them and related scenarios, but they should at least try to make the characters show some sort of awareness that past events have happened. They should probably up their ages a tad like they did with Knuckles, even if that was only by one year, just to make them seem more akin to their looks (Sonic with his long legs probably isn't fit for a 15 year old, same with those longer spines, then you get Amy being 12 etc).

I don't know, I can't seem to word it properly, but if somebody understands my meaning then that'll be all fine and dandy.

There was one already and it was a disgrace. that's the problem with them, they are not always as good as they turn out. If SEGA do reboot the series, they had better make it better than 06, or remake the first 3 Sonic games in HD, online multi-player for Sonic3&Knuckles for Tails. That would be better than another one.

• 9 months later...

I'd support a reboot if it'd mold the Sonic canon into something more remarkable, and discarding characters whom aren't needed. A sort of throwback to Sonic's roots, it seems. More zany and completely throwing out the canon that we know, and crafting it into a cartoony, wacky sort of world with some sort of seriousness laced with subtle humor and satire as well. Not a nitty-gritty serious crapfest like Sonic '06; rather, a lighthearted saga.

Quoting from myself from a similar thread that just got locked. I didn't change my opinion from the past ten minutes or so, and this topic is interesting enough to warrant a revival post.

I'm down with a series with a mixture of seriousness and lighthearted fun, I'd like to seem some characters go though. Cream,Big, and let chaotix try to be there own game again. I would like to see blaze in main canon and omega and shadow having a big part in story.I would remove clones of original characters like rouge, mainly there for treasure gameplay that knuckles did.

We've had 5 reboots in the past 10 years and will have yet another reboot this year. Why would we want one more?

Not story reboots though. 

As I've argued extensively before, in a series that can go from grimdark to lighthearted in about two games, two nearly polar opposite ends of the tonal spectrum, I don't see why we need to toss anything out to move around said spectrum accordingly. There are no writing wrenches gumming up the works because the series is deliberately notable for not really making a commitment to particular themes or atmospheres, especially plot points the creators would rather leave behind anyway. By being episodic, it deliberately leaves itself open to interestingly express different ideas and story tones. Within the current confines of the franchise, you don't need to reboot anything to write the kind of stories the overwhelming majority of people want. Just write them.

• Thumbs Up 2

I dont see why the series would need a reboot. The games seem to be done well enough to me, and often times, I feel reboots hurt series more than help them, unless the series is suffering greatly from getting far away from its roots. Sonic may be different than it used to be, but deep down, its still the same running game that it always was. It isn't like a game like Resident Evil that likely deserves one, since they have gotten far away from their roots.

All they need to do is make stories blend better to where you don't create conflicts with other games and to where people aren't constantly arguing over what is and isn't canon and where this game goes and where that game goes. Every character is important in their own way as well. Throwing characters away I've always felt is a nono. You don't just throw characters out, you either just stick to the side for awhile and work them in better, or you actively make them better in newer games or series. You dont just throw them away.

What is their to reboot? If they aren't satisfied with a game they can completely ignore it and treated as a non canon game

What's the point, honestly? They were acting like 06 was a reboot back when it was first released, but we all know how well that turned out. There's no need to reboot, Sonic has never focused on story, and the characters and universe were already significantly altered in Sonic Adventure

I'd rather a story reboot than a gameplay reboot. Perhaps even a setting reboot.

You've been getting a different story and a different setting in just about every game, why would you need a reboot for this?

• Thumbs Up 1

There's no need to reboot, Sonic has never focused on story, and the characters and universe were already significantly altered in Sonic Adventure

That's kinda why some people, including myself, want a reboot; so that the games can become more story focused from the very beginning and have something to work with, story-wise, in the next games instead of constantly having to make stuff up on the fly

What is their to reboot? If they aren't satisfied with a game they can completely ignore it and treated as a non canon game

That's not exactly a good thing.  Just because Sega isn't satisfied with a game doesn't mean they should stick their heads in the sand and act like it never happened.  If anything, that just fucks up the continuity even more since ignoring the events of not one but several games will leave fans confused as to whether they're canon or not.  And if Sega has that many games embarass them then maybe it's for the better to wipe the slate clean of that muck then continue to wallow through it.

I've been thinking about what I'd like to see in a reboot should one occur after reading this thread months ago and have come up with a few ideas of my own.  Nothing as fancy or well-thought out as previous suggestion but I'll throw my two-cents in anyways.  I agree with previous posts that, should a reboot occur, the first game should condense the Mega Drive Trilogy in one game to avoid dragging things out too much.  If you think about it, a game condensing the Mega Drive Trilogy already exists.

SonicPocketAdventure.jpg

This is the game that inspired most of my ideas.

*Have Sonic, Tails, and Amy either A) already know each other or B. ) have Sonic meet them in the first couple of stages akin to Advances 2 and 3.

*Probably the most controversial.  Move Knuckles, the Chaos Emeralds, and Hidden Palace from Floating Island to South Island.  Rather than having the island drop from the sky to resting gently on the sea as if nothing happened, South Island would sink into the ocean should one of the Chaos Emeralds leave the island (a la Sonic and Tails/Sonic Chaos).

*The plot's summary would be Eggman detecting a powerful energy source (the Chaos Emeralds) and snatching one of the Chaos Emeralds, causing the island to start sinking and having Sonic and co. defeat Eggman and retrieve the Emerald before the island sinks completely.

* The cast

Heroes (playable): Sonic, Tails, Amy, and Knuckles

Villains (NPC): Dr. Eggman, Metal Sonic, and maybe Fang the Sniper (So basically the Sonic Drift 2 cast)

*Movesets:

-Sonic: Fastest character, Sonic 3K moveset.

-Amy: Highest Jump, can access either Sonic's or Knuckles's routes. Advance 1 moveset.

-Tails: Slowest land character but flys fast to make up for it.  At least have his flying speed be the equivalent to his Sonic Adventure speed after the Jet Ankle upgrade

-Knuckles: Gliding, Climbing, Punching (if in 3D), and Digging in similar fashion to Yellow Drill (if in 2D)

* The setting: South Island (Knuckles home) and a close-by island where Eggman's base is stationed.

* The levels/zone:  Have tropes from the Mega Drive Five (Genesis Trilogy + CD and Chaotix), but rather than blatant rehashing like in Sonic 4, do something geniuinely unique with them.  Similar to what Lost World is doing but have the levels be grounded rather

* Actually have some interesting interactions between characters that aren't just Sonic and someone else.  Amy and Knuckles have been around for about 20 years now and have had how much interaction between the two? Nil?

And that's about all I can think of at the moment.

Edited by andrewtuell1991

That's kinda why some people, including myself, want a reboot; so that the games can become more story focused from the very beginning and have something to work with, story-wise, in the next games instead of constantly having to make stuff up on the fly

That's not exactly a good thing.  Just because Sega isn't satisfied with a game doesn't mean they should stick their heads in the sand and act like it never happened.  If anything, that just fucks up the continuity even more since ignoring the events of not one but several games will leave fans confused as to whether they're canon or not.  And if Sega has that many games embarass them then maybe it's for the better to wipe the slate clean of that muck then continue to wallow through it.

I've been thinking about what I'd like to see in a reboot should one occur after reading this thread months ago and have come up with a few ideas of my own.  Nothing as fancy or well-thought out as previous suggestion but I'll throw my two-cents in anyways.  I agree with previous posts that, should a reboot occur, the first game should condense the Mega Drive Trilogy in one game to avoid dragging things out too much.  If you think about it, a game condensing the Mega Drive Trilogy already exists.

SonicPocketAdventure.jpg

This is the game that inspired most of my ideas.

*Have Sonic, Tails, and Amy either A) already know each other or B. ) have Sonic meet them in the first couple of stages akin to Advances 2 and 3.

*Probably the most controversial.  Move Knuckles, the Chaos Emeralds, and Hidden Palace from Floating Island to South Island.  Rather than having the island drop from the sky to resting gently on the sea as if nothing happened, South Island would sink into the ocean should one of the Chaos Emeralds leave the island (a la Sonic and Tails/Sonic Chaos).

*The plot's summary would be Eggman detecting a powerful energy source (the Chaos Emeralds) and snatching one of the Chaos Emeralds, causing the island to start sinking and having Sonic and co. defeat Eggman and retrieve the Emerald before the island sinks completely.

* The cast

Heroes (playable): Sonic, Tails, Amy, and Knuckles

Villains (NPC): Dr. Eggman, Metal Sonic, and maybe Fang the Sniper (So basically the Sonic Drift 2 cast)

*Movesets:

-Sonic: Fastest character, Sonic 3K moveset.

-Amy: Highest Jump, can access either Sonic's or Knuckles's routes. Advance 1 moveset.

-Tails: Slowest land character but flys fast to make up for it.  At least have his flying speed be the equivalent to his Sonic Adventure speed after the Jet Ankle upgrade

-Knuckles: Gliding, Climbing, Punching (if in 3D), and Digging in similar fashion to Yellow Drill (if in 2D)

* The setting: South Island (Knuckles home) and a close-by island where Eggman's base is stationed.

* The levels/zone:  Have tropes from the Mega Drive Five (Genesis Trilogy + CD and Chaotix), but rather than blatant rehashing like in Sonic 4, do something geniuinely unique with them.  Similar to what Lost World is doing but have the levels be grounded rather

* Actually have some interesting interactions between characters that aren't just Sonic and someone else.  Amy and Knuckles have been around for about 20 years now and have had how much interaction between the two? Nil?

And that's about all I can think of at the moment.

If Knuckles lives on South Island, then he can't be tricked by Eggman into thinking that Sonic is evil since Sonic "lived" on South Island as well.

If Knuckles lives on South Island, then he can't be tricked by Eggman into thinking that Sonic is evil since Sonic "lived" on South Island as well.

Well since it's a reboot, one could make it so this is Sonic's first time on South Island.  And who says Eggman has to trick Knuckles for the umpteenth time?  Perhaps Eggman could steal an emerald while Knuckles is distracted.  A reboot shouldn't have to adhere to the past contiuities 1:1, otherwise why bother?