Awoo.

Rebooting the Franchise: Good or Bad?

Kuzu

Many people seem to think a reboot would be good for shaping up plot errors and such, but really isn't it a little boring to cover and retread what's been done. I know that approximately the last decade of Sonic games have been a bit dry.png iffy, but Sega is clearly learning, I trust they don't want to go under, so they will keep at it of course. It all sounds unlikely to me anyway, reboots seem to be known to be a risky business.

There's simply to much to ignore, and it'd be much better to retell certain aspects and mold it as the new canon.

But they are ignoring it, and it's working. None of the plot factors you mentioned have had anything to do with recent games; you didn't need to know about them, the games never referred to them, they aren't making a comeback. If anything, part of the problem is that in recent games then it's clear that the developers haven't cared about plot one jot.

Actually rebooting the series would only draw attention to everything they want to reboot. And while you can wipe the in-universe slate clean, you can't erase the memories of players and reviewers. A reboot would be a catastrophic failure when they've practically already rebooted the universe by ignoring everything problematic.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 2 weeks later...

I choose "Bad". Sonic have a great backstory, but the best thing is that you can ingnore the great part of it and it doesn´t matter at all! But for every fan who cares, any new adventure counts, and it will be a bad idea rebooting the franchise and pissing any older fan who remains.

Personally I think it'd suck. I pretty much like the franchise as it is, especially from Sonic Adventure onwards. I've hardly ever found any real problems about the recent games. Sure, each of them has their quirks, but that's how it is. The classics had quirks too. Fact is, the Sonic game (heck, the same goes for any other franchise too) that every fan loves to bits doesn't exist. People are different and like different things. The 'perfect' game is impossible to make. Every game has its stronger and weaker points and to each of us they will be different.

To me, the stories and characters of the last decade's games are quite dear. I don't want them and what they became over time to be rebooted or erased. That's just stupid. I loved the plot and various playable characters of Sonic Adventure 1 and 2, the team gimmick in Sonic Heroes, even the probably more outlandish ideas of Sonic Unleashed or the storybook series. These games and their characters and what they became over more than ten years have been around for quite a while. Actually, the modern era as it seems to be called lately is by now longer than the classic. Where's the respect to all this time and work developers put into these games and the millions of fans (like me) who grew to love the Sonic franchise through them?

You can't just throw away more than ten years and think people will forget. I have, and I think many others do the same, I have a picture of Sonic in my head, a picture that became the way it is now over many different games. Anyone saying they press the big red reboot button now and everything after let's say Sonic 3 and Knuckles doesn't exist anymore isn't going to work.

So, no thanks. I'd rather go without a reboot. I think it would be much more sensible if the thought that would have to go into a reboot would go into developing a new game, with a decent story, cool and fun gameplay and all that stuff that people can enjoy about Sonic. wink.png

I choose "Bad". Sonic have a great backstory,
No he fucking doesn't. He's got a crusty buildup of mediocre to terrible stories with almost no relation between them, barely any character development for any of the characters, no real point besides a series of generic "save the world" fights. It's not a good story! It's not even "Saturday morning cartoon" good!

but the best thing is that you can ingnore the great part of it and it doesn´t matter at all!
This isn't a good thing!

...and it will be a bad idea rebooting the franchise and pissing any older fan who remains.
I'm an older fan, and I'm already pissed, because they're doing nothing but fumbling around with stories either terrible or simply bland. A reboot is at least a chance to shed the weight of what they've done and start fresh, to see things with new eyes and actually do something fucking creative for once.

...well I'm in a pissy fucking mood all of a sudden...

I definitely think that they should re-release the older games hotted with gfx from nowadays. Not just the generations game, but revamp their older games. The point is that many new gamers have most likely never played the original games, and since today's gamers seams to be more intrested in design rather than the gameplay then I say why not? Sonic 4 got released a few years back, which proves that Sonic with modern gfx isn't impossible. I personally love Sonic 4, and would really love to see 1 thru 3 being redesigned in that style.

No he fucking doesn't. He's got a crusty buildup of mediocre to terrible stories with almost no relation between them, barely any character development for any of the characters, no real point besides a series of generic "save the world" fights. It's not a good story! It's not even "Saturday morning cartoon" good!

This isn't a good thing!

I'm an older fan, and I'm already pissed, because they're doing nothing but fumbling around with stories either terrible or simply bland. A reboot is at least a chance to shed the weight of what they've done and start fresh, to see things with new eyes and actually do something fucking creative for once.

Calm the hell down. the worst of what Sonic's stories had to offer has been effectivle wiped from canon, and his recent stores like Unleashed, Colors, and Generations are so self containted, innefectual, and simple to the overarching narraitive that future stories would really have no issue doing their own thing as well as it's own conecting naritives.

In fact, Unleashed was a partial reboot anyway the way it gave the series somewhat of a defined style and structure that doesn't need to be thrown away.

Bottom line is, we don't need a fucking reebot.

Edited by The Groosenator
  • Thumbs Up 3

Either way it looks like the rumor has died down, and unfortunately it doesn't look like we'll be seeing any info on the next new 3D Sonic game. I'm VERY interested in what comes next!

In fact, Unleashed was a partial reboot anyway the way it gave the series somewhat of a defined style and structure that doesn't need to be thrown away.

To be fair, that was already thrown away by the time Colors and Generations released.

I think it's safe to say the Modern Era doesn't have an exact style or structure for any of the 3 games.

Unleashed felt different from Colors and Generations felt different from both, and that is only because there was so little in Generations to even compare in the first place.

• Thumbs Up 1

To be fair, that was already thrown away by the time Colors and Generations released.

I think it's safe to say the Modern Era doesn't have an exact style or structure for any of the 3 games.

Unleashed felt different from Colors and Generations felt different from both, and that is only because there was so little in Generations to even compare in the first place.

Colors does it fine, having a completley different setting does not mean it does not has the same style. It has the same general presentation in it's cutscenes and the changes introduced in Unleashed (such as the geography of Sonic's world, was carried on in Colors) absolutely nothing was thrown away, it just wasn't featured as much in Colors due to taking in place in space and whatever.

Generations I assume is the same, especially considering that Rooftop Run and Planet Wisp looks a lot like their original incarnations, by that I mean the least changed on a artistic scale while most of the other stages got huge face lifts.

Colors does it fine, having a completley different setting does not mean it does not has the same style. It has the same general presentation in it's cutscenes and the changes introduced in Unleashed (such as the geography of Sonic's world, was carried on in Colors) absolutely nothing was thrown away, it just wasn't featured as much in Colors due to taking in place in space and whatever.

Generations I assume is the same, especially considering that Rooftop Run and Planet Wisp looks a lot like their original incarnations, by that I mean the least changed on a artistic scale while most of the other stages got huge face lifts.

What I meant by that, is Unleashed expanded upon it's ideas. The world was fragmented and you had to go continents over to fix it all. And even then the game immersed you into every place you went. No place felt empty, every place had it's own style and thing to it. The NPC's all had unique quirks and personalities in anyplace you go. (Even the robots in the otherwise small Eggmanland hub!)

It just gave you that expensive immersion that Colors and Generations lacked.

Colors could have added the other characters into the park, I mean, it doesn't make much sense for Sonic and Tails to be the only ones to investigate. I could imagine all of the characters spread out and looking around in hubs for each place. Like Charmy buzzing around the grasslands of Planet Wisp. or Vector enjoying the water at aquarium park. Nothing big, just add a little life to the Amusement park.

I will agree that Colors did a good job of giving every place a different feel and style similar to Unleashed.

Generations is a bit hard to judge, it's just remaking old stages with well done facelifts and new level design. The levels themselves are beautiful. Green Hill is nice and green, Chemical Plant starts normal, but as Modern Sonic progresses it starts to collapse. And a similar case in City Escape, it's almost telling a story without dialogue. The flood from Classic CP is what causes the meltdown in the Modern version. In Classic CE, the truck crashed, but never really broke down, and it's back with a vengeance at the end of the Modern level before being destroyed for good. I'd like to see more of that in future games.

However, the game didn't really try and immerse you into the stages, as all of them are connected only by the White World, which is rather empty itself. I sort of wish the entrances into the stages were actually entrances into hubs where the characters stayed until Sonic moved to another area. (I notice I say Hubs a lot...I just really like Unleashed HD's hubs I guess...)

The issue with Gens is the virtually no actual story, so I can't really go much further with that.

This isn't a good thing!

Well, it´s your point of view. I´d never wait a Sheakspeare story in a Sonic game, but I guess the saga have better backstory than others of the same type, like Mario or something...

PS: I don´t like Sonic Satan...sorry, SatAM, and doesn´t count to me.

If that's all you have to say on the subject there's no point in even posting about it. Everyone has their own opinion so they are all equally valid and equally invalid, and thus pointless.(...)

And I don't either; I was talking about Saturday morning cartoons in general, the kid-friendly, low-impact, often monster-of-the-week-based action shows. Even such low-grade entertainment as that usually ends up better than what the games have produced.

Well, first of all, sorry about my English, I don´t speak any word since I was in highschool (or playing Sonic R as a New Game), and sorry for not copying all your post, I have cuted some parts because mine will be too long.

What I´m trying to say is that I respect your opinion (of course), and I don´t going to start an argument trying to change your mind or something. That was your point of view, mine is other, nothing more to say about that. About Sonic SatAM, my mistake, I didn´t understood the message correctly.

About Mario and Sonic stories, well, I think neither of both aspires to a great backstory, but in the end, Sonic has a "great backstory" considering that it never pretend to.

I think though a reboot isn't completely necessary it might be a good change if done correctly. Thing is, at this point in time it'd be hard to pull off. Many people know who the characters are and have some idea on their back stories. Though many disliked the series much of this is due to the TV series Sonic X. Even though the dubbing was horrific in English this series introduced many young fans to the main cast at the time. Also, after it's airing, the cast in the games started to act like they did in the TV series. Eggman especially is proof of this as he became more comical from Sonic Heroes onwards.

Now given that so much has been put in to get the audience familiar with all the characters, to suddenly change all that....Well that's gonna create some problems. I suppose much of it has to go be the extent of change. Altering personalities of the characters would be a big no-no but altering back stories and character design... eh wouldn't be so bad if done correctly. On the bright side it would likely spawn another TV series. wink.png

Sorry if I sound rude here. But regarding Sonic Unleashed it was a great game until the night stages. Then the game play went from 9/10 to -10/10 in a matter of minutes. Totally useless part of the game. I don't care if people liked the wherehog thingy, it just didn't fit the game. I bought the game on a friday afternoon, exchanged the game the very next morning for some other games, and picked up some Sonic games on XBLA. That Sonic game is the worst they've released so far. I hope seriously that Team Sonic really get their stuff together, and create a game as good as the racing part of Unleashed.

I hope seriously that Team Sonic really get their stuff together, and create a game as good as the racing part of Unleashed.

They have already created two games like that so far.

They have already created two games like that so far.

One without a gimmick but instead with other playables. Also with more 3D and less of using 2D as crutch. Less cheesy jokes, a respectable plot, BAM we got a winner.

At least until we find more things to nag about.

Edited by SuperJXJ

I'm against rebooting the franchise because through good and bad games, Sonic definetly has a large backstory. I'd like to keep it, even if some titles are pure trash.

I'm against rebooting the franchise because through good and bad games, Sonic definetly has a large backstory.
What is the value in a large backstory?

I despise reboots. It was unnecessary with The Amazing Spider-Man, and it's unnecessary with this.

I despise reboots. It was unnecessary with The Amazing Spider-Man, and it's unnecessary with this.

Reboots are massive gambles for companies. Sometimes, it can mean either fortune of bankruptcy. A Sonic reboot would probably end in Sega filing bankruptcy.

Edited by UltDevilDoom