Awoo.

Ultimate Spider-man (cartoon)

Eternal EX

Honestly I'm kinda surprised no one made a topic about this yet.

So as we all know, the cast minus like one or 2 have been replaced and the setting is waaay different from the previous cartoons. Spidey like in Spectacular Spiderman is in high school dealing with the normal stuff. But to add on to that, S.H.E.I.L.D. wants to train him to be "the ultimate spider-man" *insert anime like stuff here*. Shield gives him new webshooters and wants him to work and train a team of new heroes to basically become the next Avengers. Like I said the cast was replaced minus JJJ (J.K. Simmons). Instead of Keaton, they have Drake Bell as Spidey/Peter Parker. And Stan Lee as a janitor....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mn6oUIPS9XE

So what are your impressions of this new toon? Do you like it, hate it or have mixed thoughts still.

Minus Drake as spidey, I kinda like it. Unlike the previous series, I can tell I'm going to have to get use to the more childish/anime like stuff that pops up but from the two episodes I've seen so far I think it still has potential.

Edited by Eternal X
  • Thumbs Up 1

Brave and the bold type of concept?

Agent Coulson in the show?

Simmons as JJJ?

awesome fun Aunt May from the Ultimate comics?

This show is pretty kewl, corny, and just plain fun, i like what've seen so far. Ignore /co/ and the rest of the haters, show's not Spectacular levels of good, but hell, give it a go anyways.

• Thumbs Up 3

I enjoyed it quite a bit; sure it isn't Spectacular, but why does it need to be? It's still leagues ahead of the other shows (1994, MTV, Unlimited), so I don't see why it's suddenly blasphemous to not be, well, spectacular.

I enjoyed the first two episodes a lot. It's silly, yes, and you could even call it "childish"...but that's not an inherently bad thing, at least not to me. Plus, there were a few serious moments (mostly involving Uncle Ben). I don't see this show having as strong as a continuity as Spectacular, but we might be surprised...

I like Drake Bell's voice, but I think I'll need to get used to it after Keaton was so awesome at being Spider-Man's voice.

In conclusion:

tumblr_m211jvO2uc1r2nldgo2_250.gif

• Thumbs Up 2

I can tell you this much for sure; the animation is drop-dead gorgeous, and (to me at least) it looks a million times better than Spectacular ever did.

• Thumbs Up 2

So yeah...this show, Its just not cutting it for me. The show itself just cannot take itself seriously for anything and finds any reason to do some idiot joke or cut away gag I was hoping it would tone down after the initial starter episodes but I can tell already that this isn't going to let up. I'll stick around for the next 2 episodes which star Venom (EP 4) and Iron-Man (EP 5) but after that, I'm done being a constant watcher. I liked how Spectacular Spider-Man handled itself shame this show can't be any closer.

I feel that its just wasted potential. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsyW6bJJmXY, this now just leaves sighing at bad jokes and getting pissed at cut away gags.

I like this show alot, way better than half the other Spidey animated series. (The Spectacular Spider-Man and the 90's series beat it.) It's a fun show, and I really like how random it is, and I think Drake Bell is a pretty awesome Peter Parker/Spider-Man.

Also, Topher Grace will apparently be Venom in next weeks Ultimate Spidey! I really enjoyed Graces performance of Eddie/Venom..so I can't wait.

Okay I have to admit.....Drake Bell is an okay Spidey. He's slowly growing on me. I'm just not a fan of his random grunts. Episode 3 was pretty decent. Spidey and his team vs a fake Dr. DOOM.

It is great, but I really do feel that they are blatantly ripping off of Young Justice and Greg Weisman(the maker of Spectacular Spider-man and Young Justice) should be really pissed.

Very mixed on it right now. Look at the people involved in this: J.K Simmons as Jameson, the guy who plays Agent Coleson in the recent Marvel movies playing...Agent Coleson, Stan Lee as an apparently full-time character, Brian Michael Bendis as a writer alongside PAUL MOTHERFUCKING DINI!!! This is about as AAA as you can possibly get!

So why does the show feel so...meh? I can look past the drastically different tone from Spectacular, but why is Peter always breaking the fourth wall? What's with these Family Guy-esque random joke segments? Since when has anyone cared about Nova enough to want to see him as a main character in a Spider-Man series? None of this feels like Spider-Man to me. But there were still some things I liked. Some of the jokes WERE funny, I like this new version of MJ, and the action scenes were pretty cool. I'm willing to stick with the show for a little while longer, because I can just see the potential oozing out of the show's every pore. I'm not expecting this to ever rival Spectacular (Though with Dini and Bendis involved, there's no reason for it not to), but this is far from being the worst Spider-Man tv series to ever be produced.

Seriously though, I hate how Peter keeps breaking the fourth wall. Stop it. Like right now.

Maybe that's what I hate most about the series. The 4th wall jokes. I mean the more I hear Drake's spidey the more I start to like it. But the jokes are like EVERYWHERE. He was fighting doom and he breaks the 4th wall to crack a joke. Really? It's suppose to be a serious fight against one of the deadliest Marvel villains and spidey/drake makes a joke out of it.

• Thumbs Up 2

^ Well to be slightly fair, it's hard to have a truly "serious" fight when Spider-Man is involved. But I haven't seen the most recent episode.

^ Well to be slightly fair, it's hard to have a truly "serious" fight when Spider-Man is involved. But I haven't seen the most recent episode.

Spidey does have 'serious' fights with Venom.....well at least in the toons.

One of the most lovable traits of the character is his ability to make light of the most serious situations; at least for me. Dr. Doom was just another villain for him to take down, not the perfect foil to him as both a superhero and a human being (i.e. Venom).

Oh, and his "serious" fights with Venom in the 90's cartoon were downright laughable. Seriously, just watch the episode again.

WATCH OUT SPIDEY. IF YOU'RE NOT CAREFUL, EDDIE'S GOING TO... TO...

BE POLITE TO YOUR AUNT MAY. HEAVEN FORBID.

• Thumbs Up 3

Spidey had had serious fights on multiple occasions. In TAS, in TSSM, in the comics. Sure, he makes jokes but the fights were still played seriously. There was the fight between Venom and Spidey in the season one finale of TSSM, there was the fight with green Goblin after Gwen's death in the comics and there was another "fight"(Pretty one sided) between Dewolf's killer and Spidey after her death. Spidey can easily have serious fights. They just have to be taken seriously.

That's the thing about Spidey. He's a teen. He might be yapping off his mouth out loud but inside he's taking the situation seriously. Unless it's against Lady Stilt-Man.

Edited by PeanutButterDimond

Spidey had had serious fights on multiple occasions. In TAS, in TSSM, in the comics. Sure, he makes jokes but the fights were still played seriously. There was the fight between Venom and Spidey in the season one finale of TSSM, there was the fight with green Goblin after Gwen's death in the comics and there was another "fight"(Pretty one sided) between Dewolf's killer and Spidey after her death. Spidey can easily have serious fights. They just have to be taken seriously.

That's the thing about Spidey. He's a teen. He might be yapping off his mouth out loud but inside he's taking the situation seriously. Unless it's against Lady Stilt-Man.

But the fights with Goblin and Sin-Eater involved the freakin' DEATHS of people important to Peter. I haven't seen the episode yet, but I *highly* doubt this fake Dr. Doom fight involved the deaths or endangerment of Pete's loved ones. That's pretty much the only thing that ever gets Spidey to truly shut his yap when fighting aside from his secret identity being threatened. Even Spectacular's Venom fights involved potentially losing Gwen or his mask.

But the fights with Goblin and Sin-Eater involved the freakin' DEATHS of people important to Peter. I haven't seen the episode yet, but I *highly* doubt this fake Dr. Doom fight involved the deaths or endangerment of Pete's loved ones. That's pretty much the only thing that ever gets Spidey to truly shut his yap when fighting aside from his secret identity being threatened. Even Spectacular's Venom fights involved potentially losing Gwen or his mask.

True enough but even the fights with Shocker and the enforcers and such were still played seriously even with Spidey's jokes. All I'm trying to say is that it is not hard to have serious fight involving Spidey. He may be a wisecracker but still the fights are usually played seriously and not for laughs as funny or corny his jokes may be.

Point is the 4th wall breaking and the cut away gags should stop at the fights! everywhere else, fine I'll deal I saw Teen Titans after all, but right in the middle of a fucking fight?! If they screw up Venom in the next episode...

Oh speaking of which, read the upcoming episode's description:

Deciding to crash Norman Osborn's house party, Doctor Octopus' newest creation Venom attacks Spider-Man and the other heroes

Wtf since when was he a science-born creation? Is this an Ultimate universe comics thing? because reading through the other alternate universe venoms, its all been mostly the same origin save for the 2 demon ones and the japanese mob boss.

Edited by goku262002

I... don't like that idea. At all.

How can you have the perfect foil to Spider-Man if he doesn't have anything to do with Spider-Man? :/

Oh speaking of which, read the upcoming episode's description:

Wtf since when was he a science-born creation? Is this an Ultimate universe comics thing? because reading through the other alternate universe venoms, its all been mostly the same origin save for the 2 demon ones and the japanese mob boss.

Edited by Balding Spider

Actually yes in the Ultimate Universe Vemon was devoloped to be sort of a sentient cure to cancer. In the Ultimate line this version of Venom was created through the combined efforts of both Peter's, and Eddie Brocks parents.

Though in this version it seems like it's taking the origin of Ultimate Carnage (peters blood got spliced with samples of the venom symbiote thanks to doc Conners) and applying it to Venom in this show.

I'l just wait and see. As of now it seems kinda sketchy, but if they could somehow have it make sense and not be a slap in the face then hey! I'm ok with this.