Awoo.

Tribes Ascend

Phos

They say a picture is worth a thousand words, so let's see if I can cut this intro short with a picture:

a37.png

Hmm, I don't think that's going to help. He's not even throwing exploding frisbees at anyone.

Tribes Ascend is a fast moving FPS that plays sort of like a sport as well. Unlike many of its contemporaries, Tribes Ascend's maps are mostly outside on rolling hills. This is for the sake of Tribes' trademark "skiing" mechanic, the ability for the player characters to essentially remove friction between them and the ground. Much like when Sonic curls, this lets you accelerate downhill. Because you obviously can't go downhill forever, everyone has a jetpack to keep that speed while going uphill.

If you've played Tiny Wings, it works a whole lot like that.

So what do you do with this speed? You capture flags of course. There are deathmatch modes, but the focus is really on the CTF mode. Tribes is a very unusual FPS in that kills are pretty much only a means to an end, the overall objective is to grab the flag using that speed you build up. This might not make a lot of sense until you see it in action:

Tribes Ascend is rather interestingly a free to play game, earning money via micro-transactions. Classes and new weapons and perks can be purchased with either XP (earned through play) or gold (bought), but upgrades to existing weapons can only be purchased via XP.

Here's this picture with a lot of useful information that should be in the game but kind of isn't.

Being free to play, there's nothing to lose from giving it a try. Sign up using this link if you feel like helping me out a bit, plox.

• Thumbs Up 4

Signed up! Looks quite interesting, if I do say so myself!

I'll be playing later. If anyone needs my username, it's Cola64.

I was thinking about getting this, but I'd like to be able to play the game decently before I go into multiplayer. How good are the tutorials, and are there any servers for new people, or servers at all?

I'll be StarmanSwift by the way.

Signed up! Looks quite interesting, if I do say so myself!

I'll be playing later. If anyone needs my username, it's Cola64.

Hey, my AVG is picking up a virus after installing. Maybe it's a false positive? I hope so.

Oh and I'm sandwichbars (like you cared ;_; )

AVG has a habit of getting false positives from games, but you probably should look into it.

Also, I tried adding both those names to my friends list, and neither turned up anything. I think you need to share your player name.

I was thinking about getting this, but I'd like to be able to play the game decently before I go into multiplayer. How good are the tutorials, and are there any servers for new people, or servers at all?

I'll be StarmanSwift by the way.

You can check out the channel I linked, he has a lot of nice tips for various classes, though a couple of things have changed. For example, in comparison to his oldest tribes videos, classes are set up differently now, and a more recent change is that now impact nitrons will make you fumble the flag if you use them for self propulsion. The in game tutorials aren't great, to be honest.

This one looks interesting, but is there any way to play it offline?

Because my internet tends to suck and be full of failure when it comes to multiplayer games (3G).

I've seen you post this somewhere in the Sonic section.

Honestly, if I didn't have so much shit on my laptop, I would download it and play it.

Also, I tried adding both those names to my friends list, and neither turned up anything. I think you need to share your player name.

That is probably because I haven't played the game yet. Nor have I installed it.

Don't worry; I'm on it!

Finally there's a thread for this. I haven't been playing much for the past two weeks, but my IGN is SuwakoMoriya. I mostly play as Tech or Soldier, and I never side with Sandraker scum.

I be rakin' sand every day >:o

Actually I usually just click sudorandomly until I join on of the teams.

This one looks interesting, but is there any way to play it offline? Because my internet tends to suck and be full of failure when it comes to multiplayer games (3G).

Unfortunately it's pretty much an online only thing, there's no singleplayer, and I don't think LAN play is in there either.

Edited by Phos

A classmate at my college told me he's super into this and told me to check it out. While it looks fun, I think it's one of those things I'd have to try. I mean, the speed looks like a blast and all, but it looks like it might be hard to actually shoot anyone. Maybe I'm just going off of what that video was anyways *shrugs*. The way that guy was playing, the way he's just jumping and making laps around the map, doesn't really look like fun to me, D:.

A classmate at my college told me he's super into this and told me to check it out. While it looks fun, I think it's one of those things I'd have to try. I mean, the speed looks like a blast and all, but it looks like it might be hard to actually shoot anyone. Maybe I'm just going off of what that video was anyways *shrugs*. The way that guy was playing, the way he's just jumping and making laps around the map, doesn't really look like fun to me, D:.

Depends on how you play. Tribes is the sort of game where you can utilize more than a few playstyles. The Pathfinder class, which he was playing, is the main flagrunner. In that video, the guy wasn't exactly being chased by anyone - unless you seriously snatch the flag too fast for anyone to actually catch you, most of the time you're gonna have to constantly evade enemy fire until you can get back to your base. Other class types have different playstyles, obviously.

As for actually hitting anyone... It takes a bit of practice to hit anyone with anything that isn't a hitscan weapon, but as long as you can figure out where to aim in order to hit a moving target on the ground with an explosive weapon's splash damage, you're good. The real trouble is actually hitting someone in the air, because a common tactic is to use the jetpack briefly in order to dodge explosives.

And in CTF, the flag isn't just the main focus. Both team's bases have automatic defenses, sensors, inventory stations, and a vehicle pad. All of these are powered by a generator, which can be destroyed, taking out all of these, and giving your team an advantage... Well, provided that the enemy doesn't go and blow up your generator as well. Most of the time, I personally like to sneak into the enemy base to blow up their generator, get the hell out, and maybe steal the flag if I can.

• Thumbs Up 1

So I gave this one a go. I really like the idea, but it'll be a while before I get the hang of it. I'm not good at using the mouse for twitch gameplay. Love skiing though; I'm always a fan of innovative movement controls.

I'm incredibly disappointed to find out that the moment I acquire Gold is the moment Hi-Rez removes the Jumper.

Fuck you guys, I need to go beyond 250 Sanics.

Unfortunately it's pretty much an online only thing, there's no singleplayer, and I don't think LAN play is in there either.

Welp, that's it for me then...

Thanks for the answer though.

So I gave this one a go. I really like the idea, but it'll be a while before I get the hang of it. I'm not good at using the mouse for twitch gameplay. Love skiing though; I'm always a fan of innovative movement controls.

Funny thing is, skiing has been around in the Tribes games since the first one, and in that game, it was originally a bug. It only became an actual mechanic in Tribes 2 because skiing was so popular and such a fun and useful mechanic in the first game. Even if it was a complete accident, I love the mechanic as well, it helps Tribes stand out amongst other FPSes, even the older fast-paced ones, and it allows for much larger and open environments without requiring the use of vehicles.

Edited by Masaru Daimon

I'm incredibly disappointed to find out that the moment I acquire Gold is the moment Hi-Rez removes the Jumper.

Fuck you guys, I need to go beyond 250 Sanics.

All of the jumper's equipment available to put on the pathfinder now.

He's running flag capping routes, which is only one of the roles in Tribes Ascend. And like Masaru said, no one was really up to chasing him in that game.

Edited by Phos

• 2 weeks later...

Kinda surprised this game isn't more popular around here, considering the amount of Sonic related humor present, and humor in general that centers around this game.

So, recent "Raid and Pillage" update went live, here's the overview:

I bought the pack, and I've been playing around with these weapons. The Plasma Gun does seem rather good, maybe too good. I wouldn't be surprised to see a damage nerf. Interestingly this does give the Raider a good option for self propulsion.

The skins are once again kinda lame IMO. We've got a Lost Planet biker and Doomguy (and not the comic version).