Awoo.

Sonic the hedgehog 4 - previews, interviews, and impressions topic

goku262002

Funny a topic like this hasn't been created yet...

Okay. the title of this topic should make this topic simple enough to understand, post all of your previews, interviews (pre-release and post-release) and impressions from expos/conventions/events here so we can keep them out of the other topics not related. User impressions from one of us who went to a expo/convention/event and played it there is cool. In fact, I'd trust your guy's word over any other gaming site really...

This topic is mainly for Episode 2 atm but this topic is open to all episodes pertaining to future and previous episodes Like Episode 1/Metal Edition.

Not much else to say. start posting them previews/interviews/impressions!

Edited by goku262002

Why can't we just have a media thread (Interviews/Previews/Screens/Video) and a user impressions thread (Compliments, Rants, Thoughts, Etc)?

Why can't we just have a media thread (Interviews/Previews/Screens/Video) and a user impressions thread (Compliments, Rants, Thoughts, Etc)?

Theres already a media topic but the previews/impressions/interviews don't quite fit in there along with all the screenshots and trailers.

EDIT: I'll start then.

XBLAFans' Impressions from PAX 2012:

http://www.xblafans.com/pax-east-sonic-the-hedgehog-4-episode-2-impressions-44261.html

Sidequesting impressions: Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Episode 2:

http://www.sidequesting.com/2012/04/pax-east-sonic-the-hedgehog-4-part-2-now-with-100-more-tails/

New Dailymotion interview with Ken:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xpz6tc_from-the-floor-pax-east-2012-sonic-iv-part-2-dev-intervie_videogames

Press Pause Radio Impressions: Sonic the hedgehog 4 episode 2:

http://presspauseradio.squarespace.com/presspauseradio/2012/4/7/pax-east-2012-sonic-the-hedgehog-4-episode-ii-hands-on-previ.html

PAX East 2012 recap part 2 recap from baaahston:

Edited by goku262002

They couldn't even get past the bottomless pit.

Not sure who I wanna blame here.

Wait so Tails NEVER gets tired underwater? What is the logic in that?... He's still spinning his Tails to propel. :V

They couldn't even get past the bottomless pit.

Not sure who I wanna blame here.

I personally blame the people behind the controller, they can make any game look like shit even generations last year got some slack because people couldn't figure out how to jump or something.

Oh hey, are we allowed to post our own impressions here? I wrote what ending up being a HUGE informative impressions post...

Sure why not! should've made it clear that user-impressions are cool too so long as you actually did play the game and not going off on some wild crazy tangent.

Edited by goku262002

Sure why not! should've made it clear that user-impressions are cool too so long as you actually did play the game and not going off on some wild crazy tangent.

Oh :U

My impressions were just off videos/pictures of other people playing...

Considering that 1% of the forum has actually played it, you won't get many replies.

.-.

Edited by Autosaver

Considering that 1% of the forum has actually played it, you won't get many replies.

.-.

And thats why this isn't just a User Impressions topic.

Trying to keep this relevant:

pushsquare.com - First Impressions: Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 2

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2012/04/first_impressions_sonic_the_hedgehog_4_episode_2

Piki Geek's PAX Preview: Sonic the Hedgehog 4:

http://geek.pikimal.com/2012/04/08/pax-preview-sonic-the-hedgehog-4-episode-2-hands-on/

The Sonic Stadium's hands-on preview

http://www.sonicstad...ode-2-hands-on/

Pretty good preview except a few things.

In Sonic 2, Tails’s inclusion was more about co-op then it was actually playing as Tails. Playing as Tails was boring. He was just a Sonic reskin, he had no special abilities, and couldn’t even fly. Tails was, in essence, only useful as a player two character. That’s exactly the case here

Yeah, but it's not Sonic 2! It's Sonic 4 and in S3&K Tails could fly and swim!

...as similar team based mechanics did in Heroes and Advanced 3.

Oh God. Where do people get than "advanceD" name from?

• Thumbs Up 3

The Sonic Stadium's hands-on preview

http://www.sonicstad...ode-2-hands-on/

"The bounce from enemies has been improved". What does that mean? Can you Goomba bounce now? And by that I mean return to the highest point of your jump by keeping a hold of the button. Cause if you can, that would be awesome.

Also

Another big change between Episode 1 and Episode 2 is the inclusion of Tails. Now, SEGA has gotten a lot of flak for not including Tails as a playable character…but honestly? Those people are missing the point. In Sonic 2, Tails’s inclusion was more about co-op then it was actually playing as Tails. Playing as Tails was boring. He was just a Sonic reskin, he had no special abilities, and couldn’t even fly. Tails was, in essence, only useful as a player two character.

Which was changed completely in S3K, and in this game there's no reason you shouldn't be able to play with Tails as the leader and Sonic as the tag-along. We get that the co-op is necessary, but they cheaped out on a simple but huge feature that we not only wanted but also expected. Not to mention the way they bigged up him and then were like "lol nah you cant play as him".

Edited by Blue Blood

VERY WELL. My rather brief PAX impression.

I got back from PAX East. I only got to play one stage, White Park Act 1. The thing that I noticed the most was that Sonic will actually continue to roll down hills when let go of the d-pad (PHYSICS), and when jumping. It was kind of hectic, so I didn't really get to goof off to discover any weird things. The TV was also muted, so I couldn't hear the music. GODDAMNIT.

Anyway, from what I can see people who hated Sonic 4 mostly over physics will want to check it out, the stage did feel a little Dimpsy at the end however. With a giant pit at the end. I do wonder why it's there, though, since you can't die on it unless you go out of your way, since there's a spring right after you jump off the snowboard. As for the badniks, that hermit crab thing was in White Park for some reason, and the giant Polar Bear. Didn't see much other than those, save for obligatory Bubble chains, one which was over a pit . The other one lead to an alternate path, which is cool by me.

The Escapist: PAX Hands-On

http://www.escapistm...og-4-Episode-II

So far, Episode II looks very much like a spiritual successor to the Genesis titles of yore, with one very notable exception: Sonic's top speed is not what it used to be. The heroic hedgehog hardly runs slowly, but compared to the Genesis titles where the camera could hardly match Sonic's progress, Episode II seems a little sedate. This does not diminish the sense of urgency, but it does help the player slow down to take a look at the attractive, branching level design and detailed characters, and perhaps plan out alternate routes for future stage runs. Whether or not this is worth the sacrificed speed is an individual preference, but Sonic's new pace will take some getting used to.

The game is currently slated for May 15, 2012 on most major digital platforms, but this may be the last players see of Sonic in this particular installment. While Balough admits that there are no plans right now for further Sonic the Hedgehog 4 episodes, it all boils down to finances. "Further episodes depend on the success of Episode II," he says. "[its sales] will determine the future of digital Sonic. titles." In other words, Sonic fans have what they have wanted for a while now: a real opportunity to shape the future of the series. Granted, it will cost them a little money, but there are definitely worse Sonic games out there to invest in.

Edited by Neon

This been posted yet?

....I like how Sonic seems to be leering over yet another lady.

Edit: From that still youtube screen cap... it's almost like Sonic is just trying to grab her.

• Thumbs Up 8

Notice how all these interviews get posted in every Episode II topic, regardless of whether or not it is particularly relevant.

Anyways nothing really new. Just pretty much restated what we already figured out...

I heard Yuji Naka will be out front, dancing for yen to fund his next iOS game "Flick Touch Ragdoll Piggy".

• Thumbs Up 3

Uekawa has gotten a lot worse at drawing Sonic. Sonic's head and face look crappy.

Considering the head and face of the render the drawing is based off of, I'd say it looks accurate. Now whether that's a good thing or a bad thing... Edited by BlazingTales

Considering the head and face of the render the drawing is based off of, I'd say it looks accurate. Now whether that's a good thing or a bad thing...

Honestly, it looks a hell of a lot worse than the render. The quills look horrible, like they have been looking for the most part for a while now. The face looks flat and the mouth somehow looks more awkward than the render. Looks almost as bad as the 20th anniversary art.

They were trying to match the puyopuyo style not sonics. thats why its off looking.

Not the drawing I mean.

Edited by MarcelloF