Awoo.

Sonic the hedgehog 4 - previews, interviews, and impressions topic

goku262002

the name Submarine Combo makes me think of this:

l.jpg

Also, wasn't the price already revealed?

• Thumbs Up 5

Secondly, the Submarine Combo allows players to overcome Sonic’s big weakness, his inability to swim. Tails can now pick up Sonic and swim through the water scuba style, meaning that Sonic now has a way to speed through the underwater parts of a level. Meaning that whilst you still need to collect those all-important air bubbles to stay alive, you’re in much less of a hurry thanks to Tails support.

…..don’t we already have the air dash, the spindash, and the 69 spamdash to use as a faster means of getting through the underwater areas? I’m starting to wonder if the underwater areas in the game are merely there just to give players a reason to spam said (combo) moves some more in order finish the level faster (in case the many dash panels, springs, and HA chains littered throughout the level didn't accomplish this task already); rather than providing any forms of challenging underwater platforming as well as large/many areas of exploration in it's level design.

• Thumbs Up 2

I dunno, the Submarine combo thing sounds like it has potential, in terms of exploration.

I'm really not expecting many areas of the underwater areas creatively designed with the Submarine Combo in mind. At least not by Dimps anyway.

Edited by Zinos
  • Thumbs Up 1

…..don’t we already have the air dash, the spindash, and the 69 spamdash to use as a faster means of getting through the underwater areas?

Those are all horizontal-oriented means of travel, while the Submarine Combo with a side of chips and a soda is used for vertical travel. What you're asking is essentially the same as "why bother giving Tails a flight function when he can already spin-dash, the 69 spamdash and a jump?"

• Thumbs Up 1

Those are all horizontal-oriented means of travel, while the Submarine Combo with a side of chips and a soda is used for vertical travel. What you're asking is essentially the same as "why bother giving Tails a flight function when he can already spin-dash, the 69 spamdash and a jump?"

Unless the level design is built around it (which will probably be the case), you don't have to use the Submarine Combo if there is least some vertical platforming, springs or HA Bubble chains available for traveling upward.

Edited by Zinos

I think the entirety of White Park 3 is designed with the submarine in mind actually.

Edited by Blue Blood

Like how many games does he need to see if Sonic is truly back? Because if this game turns out to be good and when the next game is announced they're just going to repeat the same thing all over again like the other recent games doesn't matter a bit.

• Thumbs Up 2

Like how many games does he need to see if Sonic is truly back? Because if this game turns out to be good and when the next game is announced they're just going to repeat the same thing all over again like the other recent games doesn't matter a bit.

They're probably going to continue that until another bad Sonic game comes out. Then they'll say: "It was a fluke! We told you it wasn't going to last! Sonic still sucks!!"

• Thumbs Up 7

Sonic sucked royally for years, and even though that period has now passed Unleashed was very flawed and E1 was met with very mediocre reception, while neither Colours nor Generations were ground breaking or as interesting as the series set itself up to be back in past. Let's not forget that within that same period we've had Chronicles, Black Knight and a steady flow of fans yearning for more. The series has a sorely damaged reputation and a few games that are merely 'good' aren't going to do much to repair it.

When Sonic starts being amazing again, that when people won't be so cautious. Generations is really only the first step in that process.

• Thumbs Up 6

Sylvania Castle itself plays well enough

I think that's the wrong word order. Let me fix it for you:

Sylvania Castle plays itself well enough

That's much better!

Edited by ArtFenix
  • Thumbs Up 6

Sonic sucked royally for years, and even though that period has now passed Unleashed was very flawed and E1 was met with very mediocre reception, while neither Colours nor Generations were ground breaking or as interesting as the series set itself up to be back in past. Let's not forget that within that same period we've had Chronicles, Black Knight and a steady flow of fans yearning for more. The series has a sorely damaged reputation and a few games that are merely 'good' aren't going to do much to repair it.

When Sonic starts being amazing again, that when people won't be so cautious. Generations is really only the first step in that process.

I don't think you're giving Colours and especially Generations enough credit here. Sure, maybe Colours can fall under, "Good, not great" (personally I love it more then that), but Generation is an awesome game, combining break-neck speed and well-designed platforming in 3d in one playstyle, and nostalgic feelings with new twists in the other. I think's is good enough on it's own to be more then just "good". If we get a new, original Sonic game with this level of quality (and maybe a better story), I'd safely call it Amazing.

I don't think you're giving Colours and especially Generations enough credit here. Sure, maybe Colours can fall under, "Good, not great" (personally I love it more then that), but Generation is an awesome game, combining break-neck speed and well-designed platforming in 3d in one playstyle, and nostalgic feelings with new twists in the other. I think's is good enough on it's own to be more then just "good". If we get a new, original Sonic game with this level of quality (and maybe a better story), I'd safely call it Amazing.

He did say Generations was a step in the right direction, and I think the only thing that's keeping it relevant is nostalgia, so ya know we won't really know unless we get a game like Generations, but with completely original content.

Look at it from the perspective of someone who's not a dedicated Sonic fan. Do Colours and Generations really do anything to rope you (back) into the franchise? Do they leave a lasting impact? The answer is no. If this wasn't the case, then reviewers and everyone else wouldn't treat the franchise like it's still struggling. The games wouldn't be glossed over.

• Thumbs Up 1

Look at it from the perspective of someone who's not a dedicated Sonic fan. Do Colours and Generations really do anything to rope you (back) into the franchise? Do they leave a lasting impact? The answer is no. If this wasn't the case, then reviewers and everyone else wouldn't treat the franchise like it's still struggling. The games wouldn't be glossed over.

So what is holding the games (like generations and colors) back then? What do the games need to grab those not dedicated sonic fans according to you? What makes a lasting impact. Cause i thought generations did that. Colors, I agree with you on that.
  • Thumbs Up 1

So what is holding the games (like generations and colors) back then? What do the games need to grab those not dedicated sonic fans according to you? What makes a lasting impact. Cause i thought generations did that. Colors, I agree with you on that.

Well it needs to ditch the nostalgia, and actually do something interesting with the gameplay beyond a few superficial changes for one, and, ya know, more playable fucking characters.

Well it needs to ditch the nostalgia, and actually do something interesting with the gameplay beyond a few superficial changes for one, and, ya know, more playable fucking characters.

Take that nostalgia out of generations and make a original plot. Okay. But are other playable characters mandatory for the game to be successful and get other people interested in sonic?
  • Thumbs Up 2

Then critics and non-fans will complain about those playable characters and will act like their existence alone will cause the game to suck.

Edited by sonfan1984
  • Thumbs Up 1

Then critics and non-fans will complain about those playable characters and will act like their existence alone will cause the game to suck.

They would complain even if the other characters WEREN'T in the game, so frankly SEGA should stop pandering to them and just use them whenever it's possible (and when they are actually needed.)

Edited by Enigma the Milkman
  • Thumbs Up 2

They would complain even if the other characters WEREN'T in the game, so frankly SEGA should stop pandering to them and just use them whenever it's possible (and when they are actually needed.)

Sonic 4 Episode 2 being a good example of that.

Take that nostalgia out of generations and make a original plot. Okay. But are other playable characters mandatory for the game to be successful and get other people interested in sonic?

More like; take out the nostalgia, actually innovate your gameplay, and properly structure your plots. Not really, but it'd sure as hell help a lot, and I'm not even asking for a lot of characters playable, start off with Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles and go from there.

There comes a time in every person's life, where they're criticized for their lifestyles or whatever, and is that point that they must say these words;

tumblr_ltvaohu6hW1qewrwz.jpg

• Thumbs Up 4

The answer to this strange conundrum is simple: make their gameplay not suck, as well as actually being consistent with Sonic's gameplay. The rest will (hopefully) take care of itself.

• Thumbs Up 2