Awoo.

ARTWORK: Gregzilla's Art Topic of Art

Gregzilla

Now that I'm done (or at least on hiatus) with Game Grumps animations, I'm gonna start animating more original ideas.  I'm planning on doing some game reviews and parodies, but this also means I'm FINALLY gonna start getting my original stories out in the public!  I just finished recording the lines for a little one-minute preview scene involving Rebb, the imp guy whose story I've been working on for over a year, and now I'm finally gonna start animating.

I'll probably start the animation within the next few days.  For now, here's a character design I revamped to be more interesting.

OLD:

erog-good-copy.jpg?w=593&h=458

NEW:

erog-new1.jpg?w=593&h=647
Edited by Gregzilla
  • Thumbs Up 1

screen-shot-2013-07-25-at-3-17-19-pm.png

This is a still of the sample scene I'm working on (so essentially this post is a preview of a preview. Wheee).  I'm liking how it's coming out so far.  I think people will like it.  Or at least I hope they do.

• Thumbs Up 2

Every summer a couple of nearby towns in my area have festivals that allow anyone to reserve a spot and do a drawing in pastels or chalk.  Some of you saw my Bowser one from a few years back, and this past Saturday I did this.  Took me about four and a half hours and resulted in some very dirty knees.  (For a size reference, the picture on the bottom is a normal sheet of paper).

Sidewalk art has always saddened me. Such beautiful pieces like this, and then they end up getting eroded or washed away or destroyed in some other form.

Fantastic work regardless! It clearly took a lot of devotion to get it all done!

• Thumbs Up 1

Man this is so wicked so far.  I love everything about it.  The character designs are simple yet striking and interesting, the animation is slick and the premise is really cool.  Heck even the humour was quirky and chuckleworthy enough to make it all enjoyable.  I know I chuckled a fair bit upon reading "The almighty Master Erog, the almighty" on the door.  It actually reminds me of that Bowser's Minions sprite flash from before, the minion enemy trying to independently think for himself against the order of the boss because his solutions make more sense.  I can't wait to see how this develops.  You're definitely gonna go places man!

Edited by SiLeNtDo0m
  • Thumbs Up 1

Thanks, glad you like it!  And I haven't seen Bowser's Minions (or maybe it's been so long that I can't remember), but from your description the setup is kinda similar.  But then there's some more interesting plot points that show up along the way that I think will make it exciting.

Hahaha, I like it!

Reminds me of something I'd see on Adult Swim, actually.

Really liking the joke of the other minion's legs being missing, in particular.

• Thumbs Up 1

Rebb's looking awesome so far, Greg.

I'm really liking the character design and the animation, it looks great.

• Thumbs Up 1

Man the Rebb preview looks great Gregzilla :)

Really like the idea of the show; minion is tired of losing to the hero so he takes charge to take him out himself, all while working under a dangerous, but other wise stupid Bowser-esc guy. The character designs, the very clean and smooth animation, and the characters voices are all great too. 

Looking forward to your future work with this series Gregzilla :)

• Thumbs Up 1

Making a few final changes to some character designs for Rebb.  I'm pretty much going through every character, setting, and story element I've thought up so far and adjusting them to make sure it's as good as it can be.  I may even give a few plot points some major overhauls.

screen-shot-2013-08-05-at-4-45-16-pm.png 
screen-shot-2013-08-05-at-5-46-53-pm.png

I made a few small tweaks to these designs.  I gave the fairy a nose after getting a second opinion from a friend, and I think it was the right choice.  I also gave the turtle-ish minion red eyes instead of yellow.  I think it looks cooler.

I also adjusted some various colors.  I'm pretty much just going through every aspect of the universe I've created and making changes as I see fit.  Some major plot elements are gonna be changed, and some even cut.  I want to make sure this project is worthy of posting, as I really want it to succeed.

Edited by Captain Gregzillimar
  • Thumbs Up 1

It's a long, arduous process, but I'm sure it will pay off!

How difficult is the entire design and animation process, though? If considerable, I'd suggest looking for one or two collaborators. When we see the marvelous results the Sonic Paradox team has had, it's clear finding partners to share the work with has great merit.

Regardless... I do wish your series luck! It's looking to be amusing already. smile.png

• Thumbs Up 2

Animation takes a long time for me, but that could be because I get distracted every two seconds looking at YouTube videos.  I'll try to make that less of a habit when I start this.

I'm probably gonna stop doing that wiggly line thing to save a tiny bit of time, and there probably won't be a whole lot of shading on the characters.  But since it's a web series it could evolve, so if I feel like getting helpers later on and sprucing up the visuals, I'll do that.

I'm probably gonna stop doing that wiggly line thing to save a tiny bit of time, and there probably won't be a whole lot of shading on the characters.  But since it's a web series it could evolve, so if I feel like getting helpers later on and sprucing up the visuals, I'll do that.

That's a pretty solid idea, overall. I've seen it work well for the webcomic format - earlier strips often lean towards black and white and simpler designs, but as they become more well-known, there's more of a reward in putting even more effort into each piece. Animation being something that's seldom a one-man job, I can see this model working out pretty well for you as time goes on.

screen-shot-2013-08-07-at-6-15-48-pm.png 

Haven't drawn these guys in a while.  Just going through and sprucing up pretty much every character that shows up in the first season of the planned show.  (If it's successful, I plan to do 3 seasons.  Since it was originally thought up as a comic book trilogy).

• Thumbs Up 3

Nothing wrong with redesigns as one's skill and idea of concept improves! It's actually really fun to do redesigns and it's no wonder large companies do it with their icons as well.

I'll be doing my part to help promote it when you get your first episode together; I'm really eager to see how it turns out. smile.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Another fine-tuned design.  Human proportions always give me trouble, but I think I'll get the hang of it.

screen-shot-2013-08-07-at-10-59-55-pm.pn

And here is a screenshot of my next video I'm working on.

screen-shot-2013-08-09-at-1-40-01-pm.png 
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

screen-shot-2013-08-19-at-8-04-38-pm.png 

Decided to give Lissi the fairy my standard big eyes instead of little plain white ones.  It kinda feels weird drawing her like this after doing it the other way for like a year, but I think it'll be better.  More expressive.

• Thumbs Up 2

Amazing work, everything from the facial expressions to the humor and simple plot. I really liked the smaller touches too; I couldn’t stop looking at the blue pikmin drooling at 0:15 and I had to do a double-take when I saw the bulborb wink at 1:03.

Sorry if I’m gushing, but I just really liked this and thought I should leave feedback.
  • Thumbs Up 1

Fantastic work as always, Gregzilla!

I got quite a few laughs out of it, and your animation is topnotch as always; I'm definitely seeing a promising future for you in this field. :) Keep up the good work, and never give up!

• Thumbs Up 1

Putting my own spin on some classic Doom enemies.  If I could be in charge of any game series, I'd pick Doom.  These are some ideas I had.

tumblr_msf92neKUU1sccgsyo1_1280.png

tumblr_msf92neKUU1sccgsyo2_1280.png

tumblr_msf92neKUU1sccgsyo3_500.png

tumblr_msgk0fY4871sccgsyo1_500.png

• Thumbs Up 4