Awoo.

ARTWORK: Gregzilla's Art Topic of Art

Gregzilla

The mouth is a style thing as well.  I think I have faces nailed down in a style I want to keep, nice and cartoony.  The hat was a genuine consistency issue though, so that's something I should keep in mind when I continue.  

Thanks to both of ya!  Encouraging words always make my day, and I'm happy to discuss ways to improve.  The last thing I want to do is shun constructive criticism.

• Thumbs Up 2

Also as for the "page 273" thing, sometimes you've just gotta simmer down on the worrying and just go. (Something I'm trying to teach myself currently as well.) It's ok to worry about whether your stuff is good enough; it's your first big thing and you want it to be perfect, but sometimes you've gotta go with your gut (while putting things you've learned about what to do and what not to do to good use) and just shoot forward at full speed. Ask for advice still by all means whenever you need too, but don't spend too much time fretting over every detail, or you'll never get anywhere near finishing and you could experience burn-out early on.

Btw, yes, I can see this in book stores.

Edited by Inferno
  • Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, that's a personal issue I've been trying to work on as well.  I'm an EXTREME perfectionist when it comes to stuff I care about - the first page took me several hours, the second a little less, and the third was the quickest.  I've been trying to be a bit less anal about my drawings.  I try to tell myself "Okay, I know you want this to look awesome, but at this rate you will NEVER finish this thing."  If I can accept that every little detail doesn't make that much of a difference all the time, I'll be much happier.

I'm considering these posts the final step in asking for feedback.  After this (and when I get more free time), I'm just gonna buckle down and try to plow through this whole thing, and hopefully end up with an awesome comic for people to enjoy.  No more second-guessing, no more stressing about perfection, just sitting down and doing it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Currently going through the same thing with my webcomic in development. "What if they don't like it?" "What if it's made an example of "things not to do when making a webcomic"?" But then I remind myself of what the project was originally: practice for my true Graphic Novel project down the line. It's ok if I make a mistake or two here and there, because from the get go I set it up as a testing ground for my abilities that would come into real use later. So now I'm not as worried as I could be. Now my only enemy is time, and I'll need plenty of it to even start the thing.

Edited by Inferno
  • Thumbs Up 1

Sounds like you and I are in pretty similar situations.  It took me months and months before I got comfortable enough to officially start my comic.  That drove me crazy.  In a way I think it was necessary, because now I'm much more confident in my drawings.

But yeah, there does come a point where the planning and preliminary stuff needs to stop and actual work should begin.  

And since we both do comics, there are plenty of options for us.  You are starting yours out as a webcomic, and that could be a kickstarter for an awesome career.  I'm aiming to make mine a store-bought product from the get-go, but if that doesn't work out, I can always put it on the web and work towards better stuff for the future.

If we're passionate enough about our projects, I'm sure we will reach success.  Onward!  To victory!/inspiringspeech

EDIT:  Here's the updated page 3.  Consistency is better and the pupils are slightly less crossed.

31.jpg

Edited by Gregzilla
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...

erog-good-copy.jpg

This is a more finalized design of Erog, the leader of the minions in my graphic novel.

I actually submitted this (and 10 other drawings) as part of a quick portfolio for an AP Studio Art class I wanted to take next year.  I got accepted!  That made me happy.

Anyways, some of my extra-curricular school activities are now over, so I'll generally have more free time.  Hopefully I can make a decent amount of progress on my comic.

Awesome comic. You put Happy Appy in it! Which, although it has its flaws, I have a soft spot for. Heck you even put SCP 173!

Jeff the Killer kinda reminds me of ComicKitty's PastaMonsters Jeff design. A shout out I take it? Or Just a coincidence?

Edited by MAYHEM!

What a beautiful comic. You even put Happy Appy in it! Which, although it has its flaws, I have a soft spot for.

Jeff the Killer kinda reminds me of ComicKitty's PastaMonsters Jeff design. A shout out I take it? Or just a coincidence?

Kinda both.  I knew of his design, and my way of drawing him just happened to be very similar.  I tried to add the bloody lips and other little details to differentiate.  Plus I knew that ComicKitty's version had a changing mouth, so I made mine always smiling to keep more with the actual story.

I find it hilariously appropriate you were at 666 posts as of my reply here.

Pretty humorous comic! Creepypasta folk usually indulge in murder, but I guess they can't kill other creepypasta individuals. So do the next best thing: draw grafitti on their face!

Did you by any chance ever consider putting Sonic.exe in that comic?

• Thumbs Up 1

I find it hilariously appropriate you were at 666 posts as of my reply here.

Pretty humorous comic! Creepypasta folk usually indulge in murder, but I guess they can't kill other creepypasta individuals. So do the next best thing: draw grafitti on their face!

Did you by any chance ever consider putting Sonic.exe in that comic?

Huh, I actually never thought of that.  I was trying to think of the most famous/feared creepypasta characters, and Sonic.exe never came to mind.    Ah, well, drawing another character would have been annoying anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

songstress.jpg

I got the idea for this character when listening to this awesome Touhou remix.

I thought it would be cool to have a game character that started out as a calm classical musician and then quickly transformed into a high-octane techno dancer.  I picture it as a boss fight with the player character making their way into her lair while piano music plays, then the fight begins and she conducts an orchestra.  Then partway through she changes to the second form and the arena turns into a rave with strobe lights and techno music blasting out of speakers.  

I love it when games infuse music into the gameplay events, so I like coming up with ideas like that.

(The design shows how my style is starting to be inspired by users here.  The first form in particular was partially inspired by some of Inferno's comics!)

In graphic novel news, I finished page 5 today.  I'm starting to get the hang of some faster work techniques, so hopefully I can make some decent progress on it.

Edited by Gregzilla
  • Thumbs Up 2

You like Touhou? I love you.

Anyways though, I'm glad to see your stuff is totally radical as ever!

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks, Wooly!  I actually am not too familiar with the Touhou series outside of Flandre Scarlet's theme song, and the fact that it looks like a bullet hell anime-ish thing.  I have some friends that love it.  I really like that music, I might check out the game some time.

Glad to see you back for the day!

• Thumbs Up 1

The guys behind Shovel Knight are having a fan art contest to design a part of the game (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/yachtclubgames/shovel-knight/posts/447583), so I whipped up a boss concept.

EDIT: Also noticed that Swiss posted Shovel Knight art almost the same time as me.  What a coinky-dink!

shovel-tree-11.jpg

shovel-tree-2.jpg

tree3-copy.jpg

tree4-copy.jpg

Edited by Gregzilla
  • Thumbs Up 5

Greg you talented bastard, you wiped the floor with my entry! :P

Seriously though, loving the concept (and the art to go with it of course!), would love to see something like it in-game!

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks, Swiss!  Though I gotta say I really like yours too, great color choices and cool poses.  It almost reminds me somewhat of a stained-glass window in terms of style.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Okay, first things first.  For the time being, I am putting my graphic novel on hold.  This is mainly because I have been getting into doing Flash animations for the YouTube and I want to continue doing that pretty often.  I definitely want to do my graphic novel story at some point, but I'm considering waiting until I gain more popularity on YouTube and then turning it into a web series instead.  I'd need help with it, since it's too big for one guy to do.  For now I'm going to keep doing various cartoons, and later down the line we'll see where my graphic novel story will end up.  It will definitely see the light of day in some form.

With that out of the way, here's some stupid dumb stuff

• Thumbs Up 1

Got the idea for this video while I was bored in school.  If people like it I may make it a series.

• Thumbs Up 7

Haha, I think that'd be great as an ongoing series! Great stuff as usual, good sir!

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

Animating has become a much bigger part of my life ever since the Grumps showed up, and now I've got all sorts of stuff I want to do.

Firstly, here's an original character.

screen-shot-2013-06-17-at-7-34-07-pm.png

She was gonna be a part of my graphic novel before I stopped working on it (the second in the trilogy, actually).  Now I intend to use her in animated form at some point in the future, since I still want to see that story brought to life.

She's another example of me wanting to make a design that was cute and ugly at the same time.  She also has the power to scare people my morphing her face into hideous expressions, which contrasts with her generally gentle personality.  She's another one of my personal favorite original characters, and I hope people like her once I put her in a story.

And here's a WIP shot of my new Flash animation I'm working on.

screen-shot-2013-06-17-at-7-36-30-pm.png

It's gonna poke fun at the negative fan feedback of Teen Titans Go.  I think my friends are gonna help me voice act it this week, so I'll start the actual animating once that's done.  It'll be interesting, since I've never done an actual voice acting session with people that aren't me.  It's also the first animation I'm doing in which I will try to consistently give the drawings shading.

Feedback is appreciated as always!

Edited by Gregzilla

• 2 weeks later...

untitled-1.jpg?w=593&h=699

Another pic of some of my original characters.  Figured I might as well get used to drawing them in Flash, since I want to make animations with them at some point.

I feel a bit uneasy about showing off the creepy girl character, since she’s actually not one of the most prominent characters in my planned story and doesn’t show up until fairly late in the plot.  But screw it, she’s really fun to draw.

• Thumbs Up 5