Awoo.

Avatars, Mii's and Whatever the Playstation has

KHCast

reggie_fils-aime_qr_code_news_mii1.jpg

playstation-home.jpg

So More and more I see multiplayer games on these consoles take use of avatar things. Indie games on the xbox really take use of them. The 3ds uses mii's on a bunch of party games.(I wouldn't even be surprised if the new super smash includes you being able to use your mii.)What i want to know is what you think of them. How useful are they? How much should they be involved i games? Should they not even be in games?

Edited by Hedgehogs Boost

I think they're nothing more than a thing to personify yourself via online gaming.

/captainobvious

Edited by Solkia

Miis don't make sense on 3DS.

They seem like a console thing. port them to the wii u sure. It's weird seeing them on a portable. For idetification reasons i guess i can sort of understand. to give some flare. Edited by Hedgehogs Boost

Miis: Yawn

PS Home: BLEGH!

Besides that, pointless really. Especially since they end up looking all the same.

• Thumbs Up 2

Yes they do!

Otherwise, how would we be able to tell ourselves apart on our friends list? Surely not with a gamertag of any sort! Ha ha, that would be dumb!

Pfft Gamertags to socialize with friends more? Hah! Those idiotic things only take up time and space and do nothing to personalize yourself along with your avatar.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go play Mario Kart 7 with friend# 3215-5143-5975 before I play with my Rayman knockoff.

Seriously though, I'm unfond of Miis. Especially since they look too kiddy, and have a limited personalization with body/clothes/props as opposed to Avatars. It doesn't help that they're in almost every damn multiplayer game on the Wii and 3ds.

Oh gotta go, man this guy I'm racing against on MK7 is so cool. We're both equally skilled and have fun with each other. Lemme just add him to my friend's list, OH WAIT...

Edited by Nintendoga

Besides that, pointless really. Especially since they end up looking all the same.

I don't know. I'd say my Xbox Live Avatar kind of stands out.

neondb.png

• Thumbs Up 4

My avatar has eggmans body and Metal Sonic's head. That seems pretty unique enough to stand out. I use it on sasasr just to show it off. But i never use them on every game that CAN use them.

Miis: Yawn

PS Home: BLEGH!

Miis came first.

Don't see where he said otherwise...

You can come first and not be as good as those who come after.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 4

When I first got my wii it was fun making an avatar that kinda resembled me of some sort. Only thing I ever did with them was play wii sports with it. Sony's avatars are kinda lame though since all you can do with it is walk around in Home and Home is fucking boring.

I don't mind them personally. I think they're a fun little add-on (be it mandatory or not) on any console. Only reason I say mandatory is because I believe when the new experience came about on the 360, you had to make some sort of avatar before continuing, but I forget to be honest.

I just wish the ps3 utilized the PSHome avatars a bit more, you know... outside of Home. I personally think the more "cartoony" avatar approach is more acceptable and easily implementable in any game.

I don't know. I'd say my Xbox Live Avatar kind of stands out.

neondb.png

The ironic thing about that statement is that all the Sonic 'costumes' completely strip your Avatar of any other items and accessories. That's why I never use them; sure, they make your avatar stand out, except it ends up looking near-identical to anyone else using the same costume.

I see Miis and Avatars as a bit of harmless fun, really. It does annoy me at how crude and basic Miis are though, despite being the original ones. The fact you can't really customise anything other than the face seriously limits what you can do with them. I mean, my Mii is in my avatar (in the context of this topic, that sounds somewhat wrong). Here's my 360 Avatar;

360Avatar.png

Considering a T-shirt and shorts are pretty much my trademark items of clothing, not being able to put them on my Mii really limits it.

Edited by -Mark-

I'm no fan of the Playstation ones. Just look boring and it took me forever to make mine look somewhat normal. The Avatars are my favorite, being cartooney and having different clothes at my disposal. The Miis are more boring seeing as I can only change the color of my shirt.

Both Avatars and Miis need more options, like "crazy" hair colors and for the Miis, clothes.

I like both. Miis are more fun for messing around with since you have quite a wide birth for face customisation, but are sort of lacking when it comes to personal touches to reflect your personality (and only having natural hair colours is kinda mean).

On the flipside, to be honest I really hate how overly cheesy and cartooney Xbox avatars tend to be animated. They play up far too much to the WHAHEY LOOK GUYS WHAT WA-WA-WACKY FUN WE'RE ALL HAVING ON THE OLE X BOX.

Miis on the other hand feel a lot more reserved as they potter about. I like that. It makes them quirky and leaves their characters more open to interpretation, which makes me find them easier to think "oh hey that's <friend>".

But yes, important anouncement: If you use full body costumes on your avatar you instantly lose all individuality.

Edited by JezMM

Both Avatars and Miis need more options, like "crazy" hair colors and for the Miis, clothes.

I beg to differ...

xbox-live-experience-anime-avatars-hair.jpg

Obviously it's a stupid method to get the option but atleast you can.

A video for intructions too B)