Awoo.

[COLLAB] The Sonic Stadium Music Adventure 2012

Jeffhog

Unfortunately - Lot's of folks seem to think changing a few instruments and slowing the track down means they've remixed the original work.

-The reality is that said examples are such simple alterations that they don't constitute a "Remix" - as they are still far to similar to the original work, and therefore retain the copyrights of the original holder.

There has to be a SIGNIFICANT amount of alteration made to a piece to be considered a 'Remix' - something that YOU created and can claim rights to.

This is where I start to wonder how much of my work so far can be constituted as actual remixes... unsure.png

Hello newcomer! Hope you like it here and do some nice stuff!

Anyways, I'd like to thank DJ EAR in advance. So I'm probably doing a collab with my cousin on Dreams of An Absolution. It's gonna be Live X Vocal X Software. He'll be playing the acoustic guitar and I'll be probably be singing with some one else here or just me.

So why thank DJ EAR? I am really bad at learning by ear, nor is my cousin an expert at it so for learning the song, we're gonna use his midi. I know it's not 100% accurate but if it's a remix or a cover, as long as it sounds good, it should be nice.

:3 Yay for midis!

Unfortunately - Lot's of folks seem to think changing a few instruments and slowing the track down means they've remixed the original work.

-The reality is that said examples are such simple alterations that they don't constitute a "Remix" - as they are still far to similar to the original work, and therefore retain the copyrights of the original holder.

There has to be a SIGNIFICANT amount of alteration made to a piece to be considered a 'Remix' - something that YOU created and can claim rights to.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yes, I understand. I've actually just chosen one song to remix for now: It Doesn't Matter. I'm going to focus all of my attention on that particular song, and try to make a faithful but significantly different version.

Hey guys, how do you guys filter vocals and all that? You know like to filter out any noise or wind or whatever and just get the raw voice? I know it's not perfect but I want to know. Thanks yo.

Record your Vocals in a place that is as quiet as possible, and - depending on how good your mic is, if it's picking up echo/reverb because of your room's acoustics, find a place (if you can) to record with more sound cancellation (a sort of poor-man's Sound-Proofing).

A Closet can work wonders because it's enclosed and any clothing will dampen audio, producing less reverb/echo/delay artifacts - to give you a nice clean recording.

Another handy trick that you can do instead of, or in addition to the above, is to Filter our specific frequencies by means of Software. The FREE 'Audacity' can do this, as well as several others I'm sure.

-> The process simply involves you selecting a part of your recording and telling the software that that selection is "noise".

-> Then selecting your entire recording - and telling the software to remove that noise sample from the entire recording.

---> This basically removes (depending on how loud that noise is) all noise frequencies, while keeping your main recording fairly intact.

(This works less and less well depending on how large or small the noise sample is, or how LOUD that noise sample is.)

• Thumbs Up 3

As long as it sounds more like your own interpretation of the source than it sounds like the source - You're in the clear.

-In fact, (and I know we all call them "Remixs" here on the album) I'm sure that Arrangements & Covers are just as welcome a submission as anything else - as long as there is some thoughtful work being put into them.

(Just don't quote me on that until Viz says something!)

That works just fine, EAR. XD

• Thumbs Up 4

Yes, I understand. I've actually just chosen one song to remix for now: It Doesn't Matter. I'm going to focus all of my attention on that particular song, and try to make a faithful but significantly different version.

Hey there, sorry to say but I actually nabbed "It doesn't matter" first and am currently working on it as we speak.

Hm...well, that's OK. I'll see if I can find another thing to remix.

Edit: Is anyone doing Bridge Zone?

Edited by WereHog64

OK, here's the opening part of my Bridge Zone Remix I've been working on, please enjoy!!biggrin.png

http://www.mediafire...4fdh1bicohdhh9b

I realize that some notes in this sound kind off odd, I plan on re-doing this soon. This is essentially a concept piece.

Edited by WereHog64

OK, here's the opening part of my Bridge Zone Remix I've been working on, please enjoy!!biggrin.png

http://www.mediafire...4fdh1bicohdhh9b

I realize that some notes in this sound kind off odd, I plan on re-doing this soon. This is essentially a concept piece.

Not too bad for a concept. I'd like to say that it sounds really MIDI-ish.

EXshad, that's incredible. xD I'm liking it a lot. The mixing's good, I like the blend of piano and guitar and whatnot. Not sure how much I like the dubstep in the middle, I've never been a fan of it, but I think you used it tastefully and then pulled back into the more melodic stuff very well.

Thanks for the feedback man! Greatly appreciated, but while I appreciate the kind words, the composition was done by Hinchy :P I merely contributed the guitar and guitar samples. He did practically everything else, down to arranging the Pyramid Cave reference. Just wanna set the record straight. But I will be contributing my own song, uh, soonish...? Sometime before the year's end, I'm sure...

• Thumbs Up 1

Free ~ Anti-Techno RMX - Ver 3.2

https://soundcloud.c...o-rmx-version-3

Release notes for version 3.2:

- Improved drums! Now louder with a bit more punch in the kick-drum!

- Guitars are no longer dual-tracked. They were swamping the sound (three is enough).

- Mixing levels adjusted. The mix should be clearer now.

Coming in Version 3.3:

- Rerecorded guitars.

- Rerecorded bass.

- Hopefully some vocals (I have someone who wants to do it!)

- Lead guitar.

- And any improvements that get suggested (any suggestions are great!) to me.

Thanks for listening and reading!

Edited by iwantthatguitar
  • Thumbs Up 2

Free ~ Anti-Techno RMX - Ver 3.2

https://soundcloud.c...o-rmx-version-3

Release notes for version 3.2:

- Improved drums! Now louder with a bit more punch in the kick-drum!

- Guitars are no longer dual-tracked. They were swamping the sound (three is enough).

- Mixing levels adjusted. The mix should be clearer now.

Coming in Version 3.3:

- Rerecorded guitars.

- Rerecorded bass.

- Hopefully some vocals (I have someone who wants to do it!)

- Lead guitar.

- And any improvements that get suggested (any suggestions are great!) to me.

Thanks for listening and reading!

Sounds a lot better. Timing has been greatly improved, you were still a little off.

The mixing sounds a lot better, still a little off, but greatly improved nonetheless. Nice job!

Sup guys. Came here from word of mouth about this album, someone suggested I bring some of my upcoming work to it.

There's two I'm working on so far, but since my work ethic is atrocious when it comes to music nowadays I'll only post a WiP up for one.

http://www.masterjace.com/wip/credits2.mp3

It's a song I've done plenty of times in both MIDI and MP3, the credits theme to Sonic 3, except it's supposed to mimic the "80s electro pop" style, plenty of influence in the instrumentation from YMO and Art of Noise. I worked up the WiP on some budget headphones but when I checked it out on the monitors I realized that there's a lot of mixing work that needs to be done. Not to mention there's some more notation for the drums and synths to fill in that extra 'empty'. Let me know what you guys think. Definitely loving the work in this topic so far.

Yep, that's me. Thanks, it's good to hear appreciation for my stuff.

Speaking of my youtube, I put up the almost final product on there. Anymore changes I make will be done towards the end of the year.

• Thumbs Up 3

Here is a WIP of my Bridge Zone remix. Note I am using the original opening(and now also closing) riff as a place holder, and if you guys don't like the instruments or how it is arranged, please don't hold back.

http://soundcloud.co...e-remix/s-NmAei

Note also that this is an extremely early WIP, the final song might not even sound like this, depending on what you guys recommend I do with it.

Edited by WereHog64

Been racking my brain for ideas of new remixes to start. I've signed up for a number of collabs, but I need to work on solo things too. Something occurred to me though: Sonic Colors doesn't get enough remix love.

That said, I plan to try and do a mix of Aquarium Park, hopefully in a House or DnB style. wink.png

The keyword was 'try.' :/

Edited by KatamariParadox
  • Thumbs Up 2