Jeffhog

[COLLAB] The Sonic Stadium Music Adventure 2012

As proof that I'm not dead, Hinchy and I made this:

Of course he did most of it, but I'll ask him if I can submit it to this project. Also wanna see if we can squeeze in a remix of Ice Cap.

I'm also gonna have to shorten my original list of songs I was hoping to do, due to my band really taking off and college being.. well, college. So what I've decided to do is a little metal-inspired instrumental of Sonic Boom, perhaps throwing in bits of It Doesn't Matter. Nothing too fancy, but I'd rather focus on doing one really good song than stretch myself too thin and pump out crap.

For the 2 people that are disappointed by this, from the bottom of my black-hole of a heart, I apologize, but I promise what I will end up putting out will be the best I can possibly make it.

Edited by EXshad

*facepalm* I have missed that part about the midis in the rules...I don't know how, but I guess I did. If midis aren't allowed then I am sorry, you can just disregard the songs.

Just a heads-up: You can use midis as a basis for your song, like using them as note tracks when working in a DAW

You just can't have the midis themselves be the submissions.

...right?

Edited by Cola

Just a heads-up: You can use midis as a basis for your song, like using them as note tracks when working in a DAW

...right?

Yeah. MIDI files can be used as a base for songs, but you can't submit MIDI files.

As proof that I'm not dead, Hinchy and I made this:

Of course he did most of it, but I'll ask him if I can submit it to this project. Also wanna see if we can squeeze in a remix of Ice Cap.

I'm also gonna have to shorten my original list of songs I was hoping to do, due to my band really taking off and college being.. well, college. So what I've decided to do is a little metal-inspired instrumental of Sonic Boom, perhaps throwing in bits of It Doesn't Matter. Nothing too fancy, but I'd rather focus on doing one really good song than stretch myself too thin and pump out crap.

For the 2 people that are disappointed by this, from the bottom of my black-hole of a heart, I apologize, but I promise what I will end up putting out will be the best I can possibly make it.

It's cool, I friggin' loved your stuff last year, so I'll be looking forward to anything you;re gonna put out! :)

Edited by Ash Crimson

...right?

Wait, if that is true, the songs I posted are acceptable? I didn't post straight up midis, I used them as the basis for the song. So...there's hope?

Wait, if that is true, the songs I posted are acceptable? I didn't post straight up midis, I used them as the basis for the song. So...there's hope?

I'm not sure, since the songs sound way too close to MIDI files to be considered remixes. If anything, they sound like slight arrangements. Like I said before, try sending a message to the head of this project, VizardJeffhog, to ask about your songs.

EXshad, that's incredible. xD I'm liking it a lot. The mixing's good, I like the blend of piano and guitar and whatnot. Not sure how much I like the dubstep in the middle, I've never been a fan of it, but I think you used it tastefully and then pulled back into the more melodic stuff very well.

WereHog64, I took a listen to them, and I'd have to agree, they don't sound much more than MIDI files that you've taken and done little to. Now, I'm pretty new to remixes myself, but I'd suggest changing things up, adding instruments, maybe taking instruments out, do some EQ'ing... Some things are clipping (they're too loud within the DAW when you export them. On the decibel meter, green levels are good, yellow not so much, red you definitely need to avoid).

In addition, remember that if you use a MIDI, try to ask the MIDI creator for permission or at least give them credit for having transcribed it. I'm not sure what the rules are regarding that, so ask Vizard, but I'd suggest doing so out of courtesy. That's one reason why I make my own MIDI's instead of using preexisting ones.

I like your ideas, I just think you need to flesh them out more. Hope to hear some cool stuff soon!

Edited by Nemo

Thank you, and I'll try to change them up. And also, I got the midis from this website called VGM, they have midis posted in an archive, and as far as I know, they don't care if you use them. Only if you claim that the midi was your own creation, is when they care.

OK. I'll do that. I hope he's reasonable.

P.S Just as a side note, if songs like the ones I posted aren't considered remixes, then a lot of remixes I have heard don't deserve the title of remix. 0.0

Unfortunately - Lot's of folks seem to think changing a few instruments and slowing the track down means they've remixed the original work.

-The reality is that said examples are such simple alterations that they don't constitute a "Remix" - as they are still far to similar to the original work, and therefore retain the copyrights of the original holder.

There has to be a SIGNIFICANT amount of alteration made to a piece to be considered a 'Remix' - something that YOU created and can claim rights to.

Unfortunately - Lot's of folks seem to think changing a few instruments and slowing the track down means they've remixed the original work.

-The reality is that said examples are such simple alterations that they don't constitute a "Remix" - as they are still far to similar to the original work, and therefore retain the copyrights of the original holder.

There has to be a SIGNIFICANT amount of alteration made to a piece to be considered a 'Remix' - something that YOU created and can claim rights to.

This is where I start to wonder how much of my work so far can be constituted as actual remixes... unsure.png

Hello newcomer! Hope you like it here and do some nice stuff!

Anyways, I'd like to thank DJ EAR in advance. So I'm probably doing a collab with my cousin on Dreams of An Absolution. It's gonna be Live X Vocal X Software. He'll be playing the acoustic guitar and I'll be probably be singing with some one else here or just me.

So why thank DJ EAR? I am really bad at learning by ear, nor is my cousin an expert at it so for learning the song, we're gonna use his midi. I know it's not 100% accurate but if it's a remix or a cover, as long as it sounds good, it should be nice.

:3 Yay for midis!

Yes, I understand. I've actually just chosen one song to remix for now: It Doesn't Matter. I'm going to focus all of my attention on that particular song, and try to make a faithful but significantly different version.

@ Fasseh: Well, the best thing you can do is get a microphone and record in as quiet a place you can. A closet can work, haha. Depending on the type of mic you have, if you're working outside and there's wind, you can buy attachments that are intended to filter that sound out.

@ EXshad: I've been listening to the Oil Desert RMX some more... And oh my goodness is that a reference to Pyramid Cave at 1:40?? Respect. xD

Edited by Nemo

Hey guys, how do you guys filter vocals and all that? You know like to filter out any noise or wind or whatever and just get the raw voice? I know it's not perfect but I want to know. Thanks yo.

Record your Vocals in a place that is as quiet as possible, and - depending on how good your mic is, if it's picking up echo/reverb because of your room's acoustics, find a place (if you can) to record with more sound cancellation (a sort of poor-man's Sound-Proofing).

A Closet can work wonders because it's enclosed and any clothing will dampen audio, producing less reverb/echo/delay artifacts - to give you a nice clean recording.

Another handy trick that you can do instead of, or in addition to the above, is to Filter our specific frequencies by means of Software. The FREE 'Audacity' can do this, as well as several others I'm sure.

-> The process simply involves you selecting a part of your recording and telling the software that that selection is "noise".

-> Then selecting your entire recording - and telling the software to remove that noise sample from the entire recording.

---> This basically removes (depending on how loud that noise is) all noise frequencies, while keeping your main recording fairly intact.

(This works less and less well depending on how large or small the noise sample is, or how LOUD that noise sample is.)

As long as it sounds more like your own interpretation of the source than it sounds like the source - You're in the clear.

-In fact, (and I know we all call them "Remixs" here on the album) I'm sure that Arrangements & Covers are just as welcome a submission as anything else - as long as there is some thoughtful work being put into them.

(Just don't quote me on that until Viz says something!)

That works just fine, EAR. XD

Yes, I understand. I've actually just chosen one song to remix for now: It Doesn't Matter. I'm going to focus all of my attention on that particular song, and try to make a faithful but significantly different version.

Hey there, sorry to say but I actually nabbed "It doesn't matter" first and am currently working on it as we speak.