Awoo.

The Trayvon Martin Case

Nepenthe

Cultural differences regarding gun ownership and the concept of self-defense, with a little bit of racism thrown into the mix, is the reason why this case is somehow a toss-up. Yes, it's frustrating that it's not open-and-shut, but blegh; can't do nothing but wait on the jurors.

People are throwing out Sunday, although they can potentially deliberate for longer.

So here in the UK this is getting utterly no exposure at all... with the exception of late night BBC news.

At around 1am, BBC news for some reason becomes ABC news, and of course Zimmerman is on it. So I've only got a basic trivial understanding of the case.

Gotta say though, speaking from a British perspective... how is this guy not guilty of murder?

Largely because of the media (NBC specifically) turning the entire thing into even more of a farce than it was to begin with; tainting any jury pool with even a passing familiarity for how a TV works. They're lucky the entire thing wasn't declared a mistrial the second it went to court.

Florida: getting stupider one day at a time. Seriously, I am at a loss for words. This is fucking ridiculous. We saw it coming, but its still a idiotic rule.

What I basically learned tonight is that you sure as hell better not be black in Florida and minding your own business, or else you can get fatally shot and the claim of self-defense will get your killer off the hook.

I'm too angry to care about decorum. I want Zimmerman's life destroyed. I want his money gone in a civil suit. I want his character assassinated. And if someone decides on the off chance takes matters into their own hands- just like he did that night- oh fucking well. One less scumbag in this shitty world. He doesn't deserve comfort for killing an innocent teenager. That's all there is to it. Florida may have failed, but karma's a bitch.

Agreed. There's no way in hell he's going to just walk away from this. Not in the world we live in. 

I hope people give this bastard hell. Sometimes, they can even be worse than prison.

Edited by Wraith

I'm too angry to even say anything coherent about the case right now.

I'll just say that my sympathies are with the Martin family at this time. I can't imagine what they're going through. 

Agreed. There's no way in hell he's going to just walk away from this. Not in the world we live in.

I hope people give this bastard hell. Sometimes, they can even be worse than prison.

Oh believe me, as crazy as people are today, I bet a huge bounty has already been placed on his head.

But then again, they let Casey Anthony walk free so what would make you think that they were gonna treat Zimmerman any differently?

He's won in the court of law. He definitely did not win in the court of public opinion. Seeing the coverage outside the courthouse proved that to me.

Gun/SYG advocates can cheer, but there are more Martin supporters than there are them. George's life is done, he just won't be spending it in a 8 x 8 cell.

I'm too angry to care about decorum. I want Zimmerman's life destroyed. I want his money gone in a civil suit. I want his character assassinated.

That happened long before the trial actually started.

And if someone decides on the off chance takes matters into their own hands- just like he did that night- oh fucking well. One less scumbag in this shitty world. He doesn't deserve comfort for killing an innocent teenager. That's all there is to it. Florida may have failed, but karma's a bitch.

Interesting.

You know being someone that was raised in a tough environment for a while. I got to say...now that I had time to soak it in...I'm happy he is not guilty.

Why?

Because if he would have went to jail he would have been killed off anyway. I rather this man live a life being on the run and looking over his shoulder contemplating what he has done to this poor kid. Than for someone to kill him off in a few years somewhere in D-Block.

Death is just too easy tbh. I way out.

Let the man live and be hated by the world I say. He better find a nice island to live on.

Edited by Voyant
  • Thumbs Up 2

He's not getting off scott free like this. We all know some vigilante will do something, especially with how angry people are. Zimmerman's family is not safe either. I also find it funny that mommy was defending his grown fatass, but that's another story.

If he went to jail, he would not have put with general population due to the nature of the crime and it being high-profile anyway.

When was he hit with a civil suit?

He wasn't. The closest that happened is his neighborhood settled out of court. I was referring to the fact that the character assassination happened the second the media got wind of the case. I was also commenting on the irony of saying if someone popped him off then it was merely karma; compared to pretty much every post you made on the topic before the verdict was handed down.

For example:

Those people are also wrong; I don't really agree with vigilantism and retributive blood lust in these kinds of cases. Him being processed through the court system is enough, and it would be fucking awesome if he was at least successfully charged with manslaughter. Wishing that significant harm comes to him like rape- something no one should have to suffer- is just dickish.
  • Thumbs Up 3

He's not getting off scott free like this. We all know some vigilante will do something, especially with how angry people are. Zimmerman's family is not safe either. I also find it funny that mommy was defending his grown fatass, but that's another story.

Oh man I forgot about the dudes family...hell if he REALLY cared about his family he would turn himself in honestly. They are in danger just as much as him now.

In fact I feel bad for anyone with the last name of Zimmerman now.

Edited by Voyant

Being black in Florida and getting shot for minding your own business?

I seriously wonder if they can get away a second time? Because if they do, the third time sure as hell won't be a charm when people bring hell to Florida.

He wasn't. The closest that happened is his neighborhood settled out of court. I was referring to the fact that the character assassination happened the second the media got wind of the case. I was also commenting on the irony of saying if someone popped him off then it was merely karma; compared to pretty much every post you made on the topic before the verdict was handed down.

Opinions can change quite drastically when injustice happens especially if its a matter that you feel is important or that is close to you. Even more so when you know in that certain matter that the person was guilty and they get away free...The problem is people depend on a certain system to do what right in the end...but when that doesn't happen...or WHEN IT KEEPS happening then what? We should let killers roam the streets happily?

Nope...call me an evil jerkass, but sometimes certain matters needs to be handled when the "justice" system fails to deliver.

This is one of those times.

Edited by Voyant

A system can't fail those that it was never built to protect.

If there is a riot in Orlando, then so be it. 

As Malcolm X once said, when the Master's house is on fire, Field Slaves won't be around to put it out. I don't mind watching the house burn.

• Thumbs Up 2

A system can't fail those that it was never built to protect.

If there is a riot in Orlando, then so be it. 

As Malcolm X once said, when the Master's house is on fire, Field Slaves won't be around to put it out. I don't mind watching the house burn.

This. So very much. But Karma is gonna hit Zimmerman like a brick wall one day. Might not be today, tomorrow, or even a full 5 years from now, but someday he'll get whats coming to him.