Awoo.

Ni No Kuni: Wrath Of The White Witch

Badnik Mechanic

this one is being advertised as not only a PS3 title... but one which is getting a western localisation!

Ok... so that looked quite amazing!

No idea if this is the same as the DS version or not. But, for those wondering, the western release will include both the Japanese and English voice actors, although the English ones actually sound pretty amazing from that.

But that art style, not just the cut scenes, the actual game world... *gasps* my gawd! I love the art style!

Expected release date is Q1 2013. I don't know if I can wait that long!

The bad news? Namco Bandai is behind the western release *points at their track record with Dark/Demons Souls*

Oh wow, that looks beautiful, love the cell shaded graphics.

The bad news? Namco Bandai is behind the western release *points at their track record with Dark/Demons Souls*

The reason for the nice artstyle and animation is because Level 5 worked with Studio Ghibli on this game.

Too bad the DS version won't come over because of Bamco and the DS being gone already.

Edited by Ekaje

I approve of righteous Scamco bashing.

No idea if this is the same as the DS version or not.

To my knowledge, this shares the same base story as the DS game, everything else is brand new.

The Ghibli art is beautiful and translates well to cel shading, a sadly misrepresented style in games (c'mon, Catherine, Valkyria and Naruto look absolutely fantastic and will stand the test of time for years to come, which is more than we can say about any generic UE3 game on both counts).

From what I gather the main complaint with the game is a rather high random encounter rate. Would be nice to have a rebalance for western releases but I'm not going to hold my breath.

It also has a world map (!) with vehicles (!!!). Suck it down Square-Enix.

I've been waiting on this for years and honestly thought it was gonna be released in English Q2 2012... Why the delay?

Because after pushing the EU date to 2013, Namco's decided they want a simultaneous release.

So here's another delay for the NA region.

Brilliant!

Been waiting for this for a long time. Since it was first shown in, 2010?

Hoping they'll bring Xillia over here too.

SHIT LOOKS AMAZING BRO. I love Studio Ghibli. I love video games. Making it so I can Ghibli while I play video games?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKayLq1d5Bs

It looks like the game will have a heavy emphasis on story and beautiful other bits cinematic awesomeness... why by jove, it's a playable Ghibli film! Can't wait to get my hands on this! I was worried it wouldn't get localized for a while, there.

Also, sounds like some top notch voice work there! I'm impressed.

Trust me you don't want the DS version. The DS version comes with this giant spell book that you need in order to play the game, so if you want to take your portable game with you you need to bring the book along as well. It also has barely any of the Ghibli animation.

I've been waiting for this, too bad it has been delayed. Up until last week wasn't it scheduled for Q4 2012?

Frankly this is one of the reasons I bought a PS3

Wake me up when we are actually close to the release date. The screens above are very teasing.

• 1 month later...

JUST GIVE IT ME NOW!!!

Release date has been announced as being January 25th 2013... 7 months... we gotta wait 7 months... anyone wanna play scrabble until then?

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

Possibly the second most amazing collectors edition of the year so far.

NinoKuniWizardsEdition__thumb.jpg

Comes with the typical DLC extras, a small plush toy (looks to be exactly like the one released in Japan a few months ago), But the best prize is the 300+ page Wizards companion book which is said to be exactly like the book in the game.

UK fans you can order from Zavvi,

USA folks, sorry but you gotta order from Namcos Bandai's own website as it's a store exclusive to themselves.

So you know that awesome collector's edition North America and Europe are getting next year? Well if you preorder from Namco's store before August 31st you could help everyone get some extra swag.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/07/19/expand-the-ni-no-kuni-collectors-edition-by-pre-ordering

Unfortunately I think this promotion is only for North America at this point in time, and you must preorder before August 31st for yours to count in the overall tally they're taking.

But still... you don't pay until it ships, and the more preorders they receive, the more stuff everyone gets

• 1 month later...

15 min of gameplay, shows a boss fight and some of the usual gameplay you'd expect in an RPG. Looks really good.

• 3 months later...

Start caring about this game. The first review is in. And it scored...

What that score means according to the website. This game... just... this game... this is one of those cames that very rarely comes, it's aparently an absolute masterpiece.

Also, the Wizards Edition is no longer available to pre-order on Namcos website as the cut off date has come and gone... if you did get one... this is what the book that comes with it looks like.

02427c09.jpg

ac7c1f77.jpg

ni_no_kuni_book__page_15_by_argentscarf-d4buval.png

Gamestop pre-orders get the game in this steelbook.

271094_bonusLG.jpg

After trying the demo I'm sold on the game. Turns out you have more control over the battle systems than I thought (expected Digimon World, got FFXII) which was my main concern. Looks cute as fuck, classic Level-5 menus with tons of items and descriptions and an AMAZING world map.

It isn't really trying to reinvent the wheel or anything pretentious, it's just a neat old-school formula JRPG in Ghibli style. I dig this a lot.

Unfortunately now I crave for a new Dark Cloud/Chronicle. Sony gibe sequel pls.

• 4 weeks later...

Tried out the demo and struggled a bit with the battle system, seems like the kinda thing you need a little while to get used to rather than the demo just dropping you at a boss battle.

Probably'll still get this when it comes out, it's so preeeeeeeetty

The demo seems to have missed the point; it's supposed to be short for 'demonstration', but it fails to demonstrate anything - it's 'here's the boss, now hit random buttons until you get it to do what you want - or you die'.  It does demonstrate the shield move, but neglects to explain how you get BACK to it.  I expect I'll do a lot better with the actual game when it comes out, since most games nowadays pretty much start with a demo to explain how to play.