Awoo.

Hyperdimension Neptunia: General Console Moe Thread

HunterTSF

After two amazing instalments in the Hyperdimension Neptunia franchise, we bring you the fifth title in the series, Hyperdimension Neptunia V! (lol jk the "V" stands for "Victory") The game was just announced a few days ago, so there's no information on this game aside from this teaser pic and some basic story infos.

hyperdimensionneptuniavteaser.jpg

Title: Hyperdimension Neptunia V

Developer: Compile Heart | Publisher: Compile Heart (JP), NIS America (US/EU)

Platforms: PlayStation 3 | Release Dates: ???

SO BEFORE YOU THINK I'M SOME KINDA RAGING FAGGOT THAT BUYS ANYTHING WITH COMPILE HEART ON THE BOX (because I totally am, why the fark do I even have Octomania?), let me just summarize all of this for you guys not in the know about this amazing series: These games take place in the magical futuristic land of Gamindustri, in which the four three Console Patron Units Neptune, Noire, Vert, and Blanc rule their respective lands of Planeptune, Lastation, Leanbox, and Lowee! These games effectively serve as a parody of the gaming industry as a whole, and are chock-full of self-referential humor.

Anywho, you saved Gamindustri once! And then you saved it again with the help of your portable gaming unit sisters! But your efforts were futile because Gamindustri is deeeeaaaaddddd!

Yup. All those freakin' pirates, bad reviews, and unoriginality screwed you over big time. And guess what else? Mario Neptune is missing! She got sucked back in time TO THE 1980S! Gamindustri was a very different place back then, and it's up to Neptune to save the past! It's also up to the other CPUs to save the present, too. So much stuff is going on!

So yeah. I excited! Go discuss your excitement here, despite the lack of screens or anything.

Edited by Carbo
  • Thumbs Up 4

I have gotten into Hyperdimension Neptunia in the past month. I am almost 100% complete with the first game. But since I just beat the main story with most of the events done, I am now moving onto the second game. I love the series with how it does a lot of parodies with it's unique characters. Though my friend absolutely hates how it revolves around goddesses as the main characters and how there are no males in the main cast. He says he will never play the series mainly since there are no males.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh God... I got addicted to the first, now I'm addicted to the second... why must you make more crack for me to spend money on dammit!

CFW Trick was the most awkward boss fight i've ever had to play in MK2.

Edited by Silencer(Tsundere Edition)

NO WAY! THE 3rd GAME!!!

I'm still saving money for Mk2. I seriously can't wait for more info on this game!! <333

RUNNING IN THE EIGHTIES, IS A NEW WAY I LIKE TO BE!

I'M JUST RUNNING IN THE EIGHTIES!

COME ON BABY RUN TO ME!

WE ARE RUNNING IN THE EIGHTIES, IS A NEW WAY TO SET ME FREE!

I'M JUST RUNNING IN THE EIGHTIES!

YES I WANNA KNOW, YES I WANNA SEE!

More story infos!

Noire isn't a goddess yet!

Blanc still goes batshit insane every now and then!

Vert is a basement-dwelling diehard gamer that lives overseas!

Edited by HunterTSF

Nope! Neptune just somehow got herself sucked back in time. So, it's more timetravelling hijinks than it is a prequel.

Doesn't explain her costume change, though! Maybe she was just shopping for eighties apparel when this all happened!

• 2 months later...

Oh hot dang son, have I been neglecting my threads. I mean, for real son. There have been SO MANY DEVELOPMENTS regarding this game since I last posted in here. I mean, it's like you look away for two seconds an-what?

Oh look there's already more news for this game! So seeing as several pairs of seconds have passed since this poor neglected starving baby of a thread was last fed I'll just give you guys a brief rundown of the shenanigans that have been unfolding!

Keiji Inafune is making a return appearance as a giant fucking airship.

23314-neptune_v_inafune_header_image.jpg

(Specifically, the Yamato from Space Battleship Yamato)

NO WORDS.

The Seven Sages destroying Gamindustri!

sevensages.png

These guys are the (partially) new antagonists of this third instalment, and they're all personifications of various aspects of the video gaming industry; or to be more specific, what's killing it!

I'll let you have a wild guess at what Anonedeath represents. He's a trolltastic master hacker notorious for harassing people, and never once shows his face behind the anonymity of his mask. He also actually believes he is the little girl.

Copyerase and Pirachu are a perfect pair! Copyerase illegally copies software ready for distribution, while Pirachu distributes the tools to illegally play games for free. The former is a giant technicolour robot that's as dumb as a sack of potatoes and the latter is an obscenity-riddled loudmouth rodent that bears an uncanny resemblance to a certain yellow video gaming icon out there. "In the world of mice I am, well... The third most famous Mascot-chuu!?"

Oh, and then there's this guy.

akudaijin.jpg

So uh yeah, these guys are basically some of the most hilariously bizarre rag-tag syndicate of bosses in any game ever!

NEW CPUS!

newpeeps.png

Pictured: (Left, Right) Pururut and her CPU form, Iris Heart! (Middle) MYSTERIOUS NEW YELLOW HEART WHO IS THIS PERSON

So yeah! Back in the 80's Pururut was rockin' it as the CPU of Planeptune. Like Neptune, when she activates her CPU she undergoes quite a bit of a personality change! Except hers looks to be uh, different. But similar! (But mostly different.)

Also Yellow Heart is new! She is a mystery wrapped in an enigma, shrouded in secrets. Even her voice actress is a secret! She's just that mysterious. No bio for her either. That'd be too non-secret.

Shigeru Miyamoto, Sataru Iwata, and more show up as enemy mooks!

T0jEz.jpg

Need I say more? Now all we need is a Reggie and I'm set.

So far this game is looking more and more ridiculous by the second, and I am loving every single last bit of it!

Edited by HunterTSF

I want this, that is all. NISA has taken a lot of my money this year... and now if they get this, they will take even more... the bastards.

Edited by Silencer

That ship just makes me think that these games would be way cooler if it was about Japanese businessmen in videogameland rather than little girls making anime speeches about game piracy.

• Thumbs Up 1

That ship just makes me think that these games would be way cooler if it was about Japanese businessmen in videogameland rather than little girls making anime speeches about game piracy.

Like Segagaga?

• Thumbs Up 1

You know, I'd actually like to buy these games, if they weren't PS3 exclusive. Real bummer, there.

And it would be neat if the series actually focused on what's actually killing the triple-A games industry, but I don't think it would be easy to personify Hollywood-level game budgets, caused by the "bigger and prettier is better" obsession many AAA game devs and publishers have, which are making AAA games a riskier prospect and making games more expensive, causing more people to pirate and buy used games.

Well, unless the big bad was a monster made out of money. Or a caricature of the Unreal Engine logo. That would be hilariously awesome, actually. Though the former might be more appropriate, seeing as money is apparently the root of all evil and whatnot...

• Thumbs Up 1

You know, I'd actually like to buy these games, if they weren't PS3 exclusive. Real bummer, there.

And it would be neat if the series actually focused on what's actually killing the triple-A games industry, but I don't think it would be easy to personify Hollywood-level game budgets, caused by the "bigger and prettier is better" obsession many AAA game devs and publishers have, which are making AAA games a riskier prospect and making games more expensive, causing more people to pirate and buy used games.

Well, unless the big bad was a monster made out of money. Or a caricature of the Unreal Engine logo. That would be hilariously awesome, actually. Though the former might be more appropriate, seeing as money is apparently the root of all evil and whatnot...

Hyperdimension Neptunia is a Japanese RPG series first and foremost, and it's being made by Compile Heart; an independent Japanese video game developer that doesn't even have a western branch to speak of. Most of those issues you mentioned are more attributed to either American-developed games or games developed for the western audience in general. The sole purpose of Neptunia is to parody the indie Japanese video gaming industry; most of the jokes made in the games the average American or European gamer wouldn't even get, which is why I'm still flabbergasted this series has been localized to begin with!

"But oh hey, I'm a huge fan of Square Enix/Namco/Atlus! I'm sure I'll get all those obscure references!"

HEH NOPE. STILL TOO MAINSTREAM. (heh just kidding there's a Persona reference in there somewhere)

To start with; the game development studios that have been personified as supporting cast members in the series so far are Compile Heart, Idea Factory, Nippon Ichi, GUST, 5pb, RED, and Cave. If you recognized any of those devs you get a gold star and you'll probably love this game, because quite a chunk of it will be spent parodying them and their franchises in one way or another. You like 2ch? Then great! You'll be seeing plenty of Japanese-centric gaming memes in there, too. What's that? You like grinding your days away in Korean MMOs or lusting over your waifu in your favourite eroge? Good news son, this title will poke fun at that too!

That being said, seeing as this game is geared towards otakus that are actually from Japan, I'm pretty sure an Unreal Engine joke would go so far above the intended audience's head that it might as well be in orbit. :V

Oh, and JRPGs have been pretty much either PlayStation or DS exclusive since well uh, forever. If you're going to play console JRPGs owning a PS3 is pretty much a given!

Oh! And I forgot to post this earlier! More new characters!

4gamer.pngbeep-chan.png

4Gamer-chan and Beep-chan! For those of you not in the know, 4Gamer is essentially the IGN of Japan and Beep-chan has something to do with... well, uh this guy and his band, Earthbound Papas:

what

NEVER CHANGE, COMPILE HEART.

Edited by HunterTSF

Ugh, there are no words for how much I love the character design and art style for this game, I hate that it has to be an RPG. 8C I always wanna buy it but I know I'd find it boring and the prettiness wouldn't be worth the slog.

Man those villains are crazy. I didn't play the other two but I miiight just have to play this one haha. This game sounds nuts.

Here are some more screens. It looks like Histoire has her older counter-part or it's for evil. Also, I am a bit disappointed the Candidates didn't get much of a makeover. Also, Little Histoire!

The picture above Histoire is a few of the posters you can get from pre-ordering the game. Dat bath scene.

header.jpg

1341891926487.jpg

P046-047%20%E3%83%8D%E3%83%97%E3%83%86%E3%83%A5%E3%83%BC%E3%83%A0_o_.jpg1341891961111.jpg

Edited by DawningWolf

A 3rd one!?

Gah! My dark heart melts at so much kawaii. wub.png NIS are so good at getting there hands on my money. I demand NISA to hurry and get it localized so I can give them more!!

Who am I kidding? I should just post that meme again...

9e9.gif

• 3 months later...

I think the first game is pretty awesome, only thing is, it's lacking in is gameplay and it essentially is a Trinity Universe mod.

Other than that the cutscenes more than make up for the lack-luster gameplay.

The references are awesome

And the characters and dialouge are so amazingly light hearted and fun to listen to.

Can't wait to play the other games.

Edited by Purple Heart Neptune

• 4 months later...

You guys may like to know that Compile Heart is making a Hyperdimension Neptunia game for PlayStation Vita.
No, it's not a RPG. Hyperdimension Idol Neptunia PP is an idol simulation game.
Here is the first piece of artwork:

gRf5DEO.png

Edited by Tmsp

Haha I posted in this thread before saying I never played any, but between that time and now I have MK2. Definitely gonna be picking up the third one. Not gonna get the vita title though as I am not really into that whole genre, but it would be cool if down the road they had a Vita edition that played like the rest of the series.

I'll buy it for collectors purposes. I have all the Hyperdimension Neptunia games, in NISA Limited Edition format. tongue.png

Edited by Noel the Gunslinger

9XbGRRH.jpghl06Hmh.jpg

Two more Vita games announced; one is a spin-off featuring Noire as the protagonist and the other is a port of the original.

• Thumbs Up 1