Awoo.

Sonic & Tails

Nintendoga

I love Sonic & Tails brotherly Relationship I would like to see more of it in the Future.

Edited by DaddlerTheDalek

Sorry to copypasta, but their friendship REALLY does make it seem as if Sonic and Tails are close brothers rather than close friends.

Only thing the bothers me is that up until Epi. II; Sonic Team hasn't really shown Tails entering the fray alongside Sonic, rather he would stand behind the sidelines , while becoming more of a geek who would just tell Sonic advice or give him directions on how he could achieve their objectives. Oh and there's Tails's wuss-out moment in Unleashed, not going to bother getting into that scene.

Only thing the bothers me is that up until Epi. II; Sonic Team hasn't really shown Tails entering the fray alongside Sonic, rather he would stand behind the sidelines , while becoming more of a geek who would just tell Sonic advice or give him directions on how he could achieve their objectives. Oh and there's Tails's wuss-out moment in Unleashed, not going to bother getting into that scene.

Are you guys talking about this moment?

Tails4.png

I think you should give the guy a break. I mean, he's outnumbered, outsized and outmatched. Sure, he would face an army of robots with no problem from time to time, and he went one-on-one with the very large Egg Walker. But here, he's surrounded by an unknown enemy, that one of which seems to be 5 times his size and carrying a very large club. He knows he can do anything with Sonic around and that he can easily defeat most of Eggmans robots, but in this situation, he has neither of those.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy playing as Tails as much as the next guy. But I think it's important to appreciate a character for more than just gameplay. Think about what it would've been like for Sonic on his adventures without the foxboy?

Would he have been able to restore the earth after it was shattered like a jigsaw puzzle without Tails?

Tails4-1.png

Heck no!!

Well, he could try local airports, but would they still be up and running when the earth is "technically" destroyed? Plus I doubt they would let him through those metal detectors carrying all those rings...then he would have Chip in the luggage department, and you know airlines...Sonic would end up in Spagonia and Chip would end up in Apotos...

We do know that Sonic can also fly a plane and it could be possible to find and borrow one of those smaller ones if his own wasn't available, but would he be able to fit in one of those in his Werehog form?

I'm also hearing alot of talk about Sonic only interacting with Tails...I do hate to argue over every little detail but...

Amy.png

Eggman.png

Gang.png

Jet.png

MetalSonic.png

Silver.png

I'm just sayin'...

So, maybe Sega are focusing on Sonic and Tails bond? I say, good. They'll get to the others in time, lets just enjoy the ride. smile.png

• Thumbs Up 8

I'm also hearing alot of talk about Sonic only interacting with Tails...I do hate to argue over every little detail but...

Amy.png

Eggman.png
  • Thumbs Up 4

Yeah, Generations is a good example of what some of us are on about with the character interaction thing. There just isn't much of it these days, although that could be due to the lack of other characters in the post-06 (console main series) games.

Yeah, Generations is a good example of what some of us are on about with the character interaction thing. There just isn't much of it these days, although that could be due to the lack of other characters in the post-06 (console main series) games.

• Thumbs Up 5

I think people are talking about alot of the main series games after Sonic 06. The only characters Sonic talks to in the games nowadays is Tails and Eggman. People like to see him interact with more character besides those two. Sonic Generations is the pefect opportunity for him to do that but he still only talks to Tails and Eggman.

Yes, a perfect opportunity was wasted for Sonic to interact with the other characters in Sonic Generations. It could of at least been done in the cutscenes where Sonic rescused his friends. He could of spoke back to them when they spoke and expressed their gratitude instead of making faces, giving thumbs up and the like, not saying anything. I don't get it, I don't get it at all. sad.png

I think people are talking about alot of the main series games after Sonic 06. The only characters Sonic talks to in the games nowadays is Tails and Eggman. People like to see him interact with more character besides those two. Sonic Generations is the pefect opportunity for him to do that but he still only talks to Tails and Eggman.

Edited by Dan-imeJ86
  • Thumbs Up 1

Angry fanboys raging about friends characters -- only wanted Sonic. Sega did it, worked.

Yes this would explain why Sonic's friends have been reduced to almost nothing with the exception of Tails, give or take with the spin-off games.

What I was talking about in my previous post was I didn't understand why Modern Sonic went all mute on his friends when they spoke to him. It just makes me wonder what was the point of having them around, especially in the Sonic Generations story if he doesn't speak a single word to those friends in the whole game.

If you are telling me that the rage of fanboys is behind this, I'm not getting you. Sorry.

You know, I can kind of compare this to some fanfics. Sometimes the author will project their feelings towards certain things onto a character, and in the case of Sonic fanfiction, I've seen the author projecting their dislike of certain characters onto Sonic, even if it's out of character. Maybe Sonic Team thought Sonic should react fairly uninterested to his friends, because OBVIOUSLY none of the fans care about the supporting cast at all, right?

The only others that would qualify and have additional characters would be Sonic Colours DS (Although the scenes aren't the same, as there only in text form and are brief)

Colors DS has a deceptive amount of content to it. Each mission had three tiers of discussion, that when combined made for a pretty in depth story and a crap ton of character interaction.

• Thumbs Up 1

I really do like the way they are handled in Sonic 4 Ep.2

Like I view it as an adventure where Sonic needs Tails, and vice versa.

Sonic needs Tails' for his flight, and swimming abilities, while Tails needs Sonic for his speed and strength. It really seals the deal to me that these two are so much more then just best friends when they both rely so much on each other in that game, kinda like two halves becoming a whole....just via Rolling Combo.

Trust me, I know Brotherly love when I see it,

fdex3a.jpg

Yep....brotherly love.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of the cute brotherly relationship between Sonic and Tails, i've always loved that song about it from the old "Sonic Arcade"-album. Hell, if they could only get someone other than Papa smurf to sing it i wouldn't mind hearing it in an actuall game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6S4AhWPn0FM

• Thumbs Up 2

Speaking of the cute brotherly relationship between Sonic and Tails, i've always loved that song about it from the old "Sonic Arcade"-album. Hell, if they could only get someone other than Papa smurf to sing it i wouldn't mind hearing it in an actuall game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6S4AhWPn0FM

Crush 40?

Well in my little world for my videos Tails lives with Sonic and gladly pays his rent because of how much he idolizes Sonic. I see Sonic and Tails more as brothers than friends because they have been through so much and they have such different personalities so they appeal to eachother. Sonic is the idiot and Tails is the genius and on the flip side Sonic is brave and Tails isn't as bold.

I think I got it best in my Christmas video:

[/shamelessplug]

Well in my little world for my videos Tails lives with Sonic and gladly pays his rent because of how much he idolizes Sonic. I see Sonic and Tails more as brothers than friends because they have been through so much and they have such different personalities so they appeal to eachother. Sonic is the idiot and Tails is the genius and on the flip side Sonic is brave and Tails isn't as bold.

[/shamelessplug]

Oh, so you're the one who's made those videos. Good job!

[/shamelessplug]

>Manic and Sonia showing up with the video game characters

<beats with a broom> OUT, HEATHEN.

• 3 years later...

Right, so sorry for necroing this thread, but I felt it was probably better just to bump this one rather than creating a new one altogether. This one already is a good one, and I think it'd be better to just add to it.

So, aside from the usual gushing about the on-the-surface dynamic that these two (being Sonic and Tails) being highly endearing, which it very much is, I was contemplating something else about it that I don't think people have stopped to consider, and the symbolic beauty behind it.

I was trolling around on the internet one-day, when I randomly came across a random metaphor: “a fox knows many things, but a hedgehog knows one big thing”. An essay was written around it, which argues that there's a dichotomy of people who either draw from a wide variety of experiences and ideas, and those that have one, general overarching philosophy.

The actual essay itself isn't really all that relevant, despite the rather obvious connections to traits that both Sonic and Tails possess, but I do think it rather illustrates how Sonic and Tails are almost opposites in many regards. They're two, clearly distinct individuals from one another, and yet their specific character traits complement each other rather excellently. Someone pointed out how initially they were orange and blue, due to color complements, personality traits can work the same.

That's kind of why it irritates me whenever writers take a direction of one the two that doesn't really meld with this idea of complementing personalities, or outright works detrimentally against this. Tails being snarky, sarcastic, and egotistical is an example of this. Those are character traits that Sonic has, that's distinct to him. Nevermind that these traits don't even fit with Tails as an individual.

I also want to bring up something else in a somewhat different tangent. Tails being a fox, and Sonic being a hedgehog. Species typically has no bearing in the Sonic franchise, beyond maybe some general personality traits (e.g. Blaze is very standoffish and aloof like cats in real life are), but I think this is one of those cases where it does, and not in a way that people expect at all. I think that some people have noticed this, hence a lot of parody comics and animations, but I don't think that they thought this all the way through.

Think about the first thing you think of when you think of when you see a fox and a hedgehog in a cartoon. Just in general. You see a fox, they're generally predatorial, they're tricksters, mischevious, and often they're even villainous. Hedgehogs aren't very common at all in cartoons, but a common analogue for herbivorous prey animals are rabbits. Rabbits are generally shy and physically and emotionally vulnerable.

Now, back to Sonic and Tails. Try to apply those common stereotypes to them. Not only do they not fit, but it's more like they're flipped around. Sonic is the more enthusiastic and is something of a prankster, while Tails is more shy and vulnerable. It completely subverts expectations that might be imposed upon the two if you know about their species before anything else.

Compare and contrast this to something like the upcoming Zootopia. While Zootapia is very well made, it's characters are very... Safe, from what I've seen. I mean that in the general sense that they don't really do anything dangerous or subversive like this.

There's a certain symbolic beauty to it all that I don't think a lot of people have necessarily thought all the way through (not even Sonic Team), and I think it makes their dynamic all the more fascinating on a different kind of level.

• Thumbs Up 7