Awoo.

Good News

Danj86

Russell_Howard%27s_Good_News_title.png

Hello! It's once again time for one of Dans long and complicated opening posts. And also an experiment...

I've noticed in the past that topics with bad news tends to get more posts and possibly attention, then any involving good things. I think it could be because we all want to express outrage at injustice or that we all just enjoy complaining about stuff...controversial topics could go on forever, simply because of a split in opinion. *pokes abortion thread*

Whats my point? I hear you say...well, I want to see if a positive topic can stand up to the bad ones in terms of contrabution and/or discussion. So, say hello to Russell Howard!

b00pcnfp_640_360.jpg

He's a British stand-up comedian that, when not doing tours, is hosting his own television show that is not only the inspiration for this thread, but also something extra to discuss. And the newest series of his show has just recently started. Have I said what it's called yet?

Russell Howard's Good News

What sets this apart from other satire news shows (and there's alot of them) is the "Good News" element. At the end of the show, after talking about bad, strange or just plain weird stories from the news, he shares a good news story that involves humans at there very best. It reminds you that there really is good in the world, and for someone like me, who at one point would've never believed such a thing, it is a reminder that one person can make a difference and a battle is only over if you give up.

But perhaps I am getting too serious in this post...it is still a comedy show...here's a funny picture.

photo4110.jpg

Don't know what I'm talking about? You should be able to find the show on the BBCiplayer if you wish to watch an episode. It won't be to everyones taste, and some jokes can be abit...is racy the right word?

http://www.bbc.co.uk...s%20Good%20News

...or youtube might have classic episodes, I did find the newest one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nfWFEV-Ovo

Before I do the whole asking what I want you guys to consider in your posts that I seem to do all the time, here's a bonus that I accidently learned about the show...

RHGoodNews.png

What do you see on the image around the drum? Because it looks very familiar to me... ;)

Have you seen the show? Do you like it? Have you found a good news story you'd like to share? Do other countries have there own shows with a format like this? Did you get that this was the bit I mentioned before? ...and that I always seem to do it in topics I make?

• Thumbs Up 4

I love this show, I try to catch it on iplayer when I can, it's a really funny twist on the usual kind of news comedy show. As a comedian he's really cool, I've seen a few stand ups and last year I saw Howard at Hull Truck Theatre and he was amazing, so funny and he's got a charm about him that wins a crowd. At one point this heckler yelled something, he didn't say anything back or even gesture anything... but the audience utterly tore into the heckler, he was such fun and was that nice on stage when he was doing his jokes he won the crowd over.

Theres some sections on it that I don't particually like that much, the mystery guest for example is usually either brilliant or terrible and sometimes Howards jokes don't quite work or he does stuff which is more funny to him than he realises (that dog getting it's belly rubbed for instance).

• Thumbs Up 1

I am posting just to say that I clicked the topic. Since I clicked it, that means I still expressed interest at hearing good news. So there's that for you.

As for the show, can't say I've heard of it.

• Thumbs Up 3

It's British made for a British audience. So, yeah. :P

Well done spotting that Tails on the drum, I never noticed that before XP. It's a nice little show, definitely has a good idea for focusing on good news instead of all the shite going on XP. I ought to make topics myself now and then, but I can never be bothered, haha. Oh and by the way, this is how topics/threads ought to be made. Kudos to you.

• Thumbs Up 1

I hate Russell Howard. The fact that such a mediocre comedian can get his own show off the back of shite like Mock the Week (which, let's be honest, is Have I Got News For You for thick people) is indicative of the current state of British comedy and British telly at the moment. Hence why The Only Way Is Essex was able to win the People's Choice BAFTA or whatever the fuck it was they won.

As for Good News, I've only watched the first episode that was broadcast. That allowed me to see it for what it really is: Russell Howard making incredibly easy jokes about Youtube videos I've already seen.

I await the day Russell Howard involves himself in some sort of scandal that destroys his television career. Mediocrity should not be tolerated.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's alright, I've chuckled a few times at it, but the whole show just feels very awkward, as if it's the sort of thing that should be a segment of another show rather than it's entire own thing. The whole show feels drawn out. The mystery guest segment, I agree with Hogfather is usually pretty stupid.

And yes he really overuses youtube videos.

I hate Russell Howard. The fact that such a mediocre comedian can get his own show off the back of shite like Mock the Week (which, let's be honest, is Have I Got News For You for thick people) is indicative of the current state of British comedy and British telly at the moment. Hence why The Only Way Is Essex was able to win the People's Choice BAFTA or whatever the fuck it was they won.

As for Good News, I've only watched the first episode that was broadcast. That allowed me to see it for what it really is: Russell Howard making incredibly easy jokes about Youtube videos I've already seen.

I await the day Russell Howard involves himself in some sort of scandal that destroys his television career. Mediocrity should not be tolerated.

I can't help but agree. Particularly on the blast at MTW; it is a bit HIGNFY-lite.

I personally find quite funny, I like mock the week sometimes.

Other than Family Guy, American Dad, Doctor Who and Top Gear Reruns and the odd movie I think BBC Three is a load of shit to be honest, E4 is much worse in my opinion though. sleep.png

EDIT: Oh yeah Russell Howard's Good News is a great antidote for hearing the Jeremy Vine show all week. I fucking hate that show.angry.png

Edited by BW199148

I am posting just to say that I clicked the topic. Since I clicked it, that means I still expressed interest at hearing good news. So there's that for you.

• 3 months later...

The show this post was inspired from has finished airing it's current series, but that doesn't matter, because I said several times, it's not just about the show, but about sharing good news.

With people too busy trying to find a new topic to depress us all, I guess I have no choice but to find good news and share it myself. Here's a link to a website dedicated to happy news: http://www.happynews.com/

I located these stories, thanks to that website.

First up, have we had a topic about a man that jumped on subway tracks to save a young boy last month? No. We where to busy talking about a poor bus driver beaten to death...

Real-Life Superman Saves Toddler from Subway Tracks

The real-life superman who rescued a nine-month-old boy swept onto the tracks of an oncoming subway train has reunited with the mother and child while offered a job at the JFK airport.

New York Daily Newsafter visiting the boy named David and his mother in Brookdale Hospital in New York on Wednesday.

'It feels amazing, just seeing him alive,' Delroy Summonds, a father of two himself told the

The child suffered a gash to his forehead but is expected to be OK.

http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz21YPoQT4s

Read more:

Adele Song Wakes British Girl from Coma

Singer Adele's hit song, "Rolling in the Deep," is credited with helping a 7-year-old British girl wake from the coma she suffered after a brain hemorrhage.

Read the story: www.telegraph.co.uk/health/children

Church Celebrates 4th of July With 6,000 Sandwiches For Homeless

Sydenstricker United Methodist Church celebrated the 4th of July by meeting a tough goal: Make 5,000 egg salad and other sandwiches for the D.C.-based Martha's Table food kitchen. Church members ended up making 6,570 sandwiches before they ran out of bread.

Read the full story: lorton.patch.com/articles/sydenstricker

I even have personal good news. Even though this thread was never intended for sharing such things, if your comfortable sharing them, then I don't see why not. Y'see, years of being labeled "a loser" and never actually winning anything made me believe that I am a loser, but when I won the Sonic & the Black Knight art contest, it was a massive boost in my already empty self-esteem. However, that was several years ago and the idea of being a loser was returning, mixed with other reasons that didn't help much. So, several weeks ago, I spot a contest and reluctantly enter, just because...

Well, weeks later and...omg! I won!? I seriously had no expectations of actually winning. Mostly because the winners was picked at random. Yet here I am, being rubbed by my entire family because they think I have good luck and would like some. lol Only difference between this winning and the Black Knight winning, is that I didn't feel guilty winning the BK contest, but I do for this one...*shrug*

With that, here is my final message: It's easy to dwell on the negatives, when nobody gives you anything else to think about.

Stay safe, my friends. ^-^

*enters thread*

> "Good News"

*looks for the Professor.*

Wait. This thread isn't about Futurama.

*leaves thread*

• Thumbs Up 1

*enters thread*

> "Good News"

*looks for the Professor.*

Wait. This thread isn't about Futurama.

*leaves thread*