Awoo.

The SSMB Super Sentai/Power Rangers Thread

Eternal EX

I loved Power Rangers as a kid. I was the black ranger, because his animal was a mammoth (my favorite extinct animal), his weapon was an axe (my favorite weapon), and he was black (i just thought black people was cooler than white people as a kid, for some reason. I guess that made me a bit of a racist...) But what i loved even more than the Power Rangers TV show was the SNES game, which by the way has what have to be the most kickass SNES boss theme EVER: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzpHG2u-Wug

Edited by batson

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Eternal EX

• \Lennox

• BakingBluePotatoe

• Cortez

OH MY FREAKIN GOSH! I thought I was the only human who knew those shows existed. lol Beetle borgs anyone?

I rented episodes of that on VHS from time to time. It was kind of annoyed how they almost always finished the fight with the main character's regular form. They had all the cool armor and stuff that they never seemed to use.

I don't remember whether I outgrew the Power Rangers or just didn't like the new theme. Maybe a bit of both, or maybe I just decided I liked video games more than Power Rangers. Either way, I stopped watching it... probably about four seasons in.

And I prefer this version of the song.

I stopped watching when they had that little kid become the Blue Ranger. You're trying to tell me he becomes 6ft tall when he morphs? Come on... Just kind of ruined the series for me. I'm also a firm believer that adding kids to a cast always kills a show.

I was a HUGE fan of the music, though. Aaron "The Mighty Raw" Waters knew how to make a battle song.

Edited by Snatcher2047

Power Rangers was almost as influential a show as Pokemon to me. When I was younger, my cousins and I would always act out scenes, and fight moves from it. The movie was pretty kick ass too. Definitely ahead of it's time, if you watch the Power Rangers movie now, you'll see that it was very well made for the time that it came out.

I prefer this version of the theme song however.

-Iceman

Edited by Iceman

Chanbara-bara, Chaan-bara-ah! Chanbara-bara, Chaan-bara-ah! Samurai Sentai, ShinkenGer! APPARE! :D

Since SP had previously posted a KR thread, and I recently got back into Sentai with the use of my Sonic X Sentai fic and Shinkenger, I had to make this thread.

Now, Super Sentai (or Power Rangers as you call it) is a Long Runner, lasting 33 years, approaching it's 35th series + anniversary in the next two years.

The basic formula is that there are five kids/teens/adults who become Rangers and fight with the use of high-tech gizmos and Humongous Mecha, with Card Carrying Villains whose ideologies might be 'evil'. Next thing you know, they cross-over with the previous Sentai series defeating the last of their villains (of both series, yeah), and they bring out some Crowning Moments Of Awesome.

Now, the reception of these Sentai series and PR series have long varied ever since the rise of DekaRanger and loud-mouthed leader, Ban/DekaRed. Shinkenger may be one of the best Sentai in the decade, along with GekiRanger or TimeRanger. Often, its usually the animal/martial arts series than win people over, with some series that use too many mechs and vehicles that drive people away.

And how do these Sentai evolve into PR? Well, the stock footage from Sentai series (when they've transformed) is utilized, while some of the suits, mecha models and weapons are sent over to Disney and the PR production teams if they want to do their own scenes, which sometimes occurs, some of which happened in the Saban-era PR episodes.

Using the footage and the materials from Toei, the writers then develop an episode which is faithful to the stock footage. Then the actors who were un-transformed dub over the action stock footage (same goes for Super Sentai, yet in the last few episodes the actors have a chance to wear the Ranger suits at the last episode, which is a common practice for any series).

Now, discuss away! :D

Merged topics, RR please use the search function (or check at least the first page of topics) before forging a new one.

Merged topics, RR please use the search function (or check at least the first page of topics) before forging a new one.

Ohh, sorry this is pretty much the second time I forgot this rule, heheh!

Still, to be back on topic, is RPM really better than all the other PR seasons? This makes me think that this might be better than its source material, since I watched Go-Onger a few times and it drew me away from Sentai for a year. Fellow Sentai fan SP told me he liked it.

Aside from Power Rangers, I haven't seen a single super sentai show, but I'm obsessed with the very notion of it. My favorite actually consists of the Prism Rangers from Disgaea: Hour of Darkness - during the scene in which the rangers are activating their transformation sequence, one of the characters pops out and shoots them in the leg with a handgun.

Also, this song reeks with burning hero spirit.

• 6 years later...

Holy shit this topic is dead as a doornail, I need to fix this.

I started watching Super Sentai around March of last year, having a PR fix but not wanting to watch PR because the only seasons left that I havent watched are the bad ones (Mystic Force, Operation Overdrive, Wild Force, Samurai) so by curiosity I decided to check out the original PR, Super Sentai! It was just random curiosity, I thought id watch one or two before jumping off and moving onto something else.

Presently I have watched twenty one Super Sentai series (and each series averages around 50 episodes so yeah, that should tell you how into this I am) out of FORTY. Some were good, others meh, some were fucking AMAZING. Let me tell you the Top 5 Sentais you should start out with if you want to get into it.

Gokaiger, because it's a good gate way for any budding Sentai fan (it's the 35th anniversary season and celebrates the histories of past Sentais up to that point, so you'll get a little taste of almost all of them and decided which one interests you to consider checking out) on top of just being fucking awesome.

Shinkenger: Because it's super well written, dramatic, has solid character devlopment and great moments all around. It's heavily trenched in japanese traditions and customs so if you're intrested in that stuff this is for you

Jetman: A CLASSIC, if you're looking for something dark, this is the Sentai for you. The villians really shine here and you really feel the stakes of the story in general, you'll probably cry the most from this series.

Gekiranger: This is my personal favorite Sentai. It has a heavy focus on martial arts and self improvement, learning lessons on and off the battlefield, FANTASTIC villians, great action in general and a really epic story, id say go for it.

But if that doesnt tickle your fancy and you want to stay current, here's the trailer for the newest Sentai (and coincidentally the 40th Anniversary season), Zyuohger. Which will air on the 14th on February!

Personally im super hyped for this.

• 3 weeks later...

I think Elizabeth Banks could be a pretty good Rita honestly.

I've been a fan of Power Rangers since I was about 2 or 3 years old. I remember seeing the Zeo finale and seeing the Turbo movie in theaters. I kinda fell off during Turbo not because I hated it but because I moved to Mississippi and the local Fox's reception was like staring into a snow globe. I got back into the series with Time Force and have been watching ever since.

As for Sentai I've seen maybe a couple episodes here and there and honestly I'll never understand why people say Power Rangers is a Lesser version of Sentai. They're exactly the same to me.

Personal favorite season's are: MMPR Season 3 (I feel this is where the show starts to pick up steam), Time Force, Ninja Storm, Dino Thunder, SPD and RPM. Alright seasons are: MMPR Season 1 (I'm sorry it's fun but there were a lot of bugs to iron out) MMPR season 2 (Those spliced fight scenes are basically terrible), Zeo (AKA The Tommy Show featuring others) Wild Force, Mystic Force, Samurai and Megaforce (I don't hate Megaforce as bad as most). Season's I haven't seen all the way through: Turbo, In Space, Lost Galaxy and Lightspeed Rescue. Worst Season: Operation Overdrive. The sun will explode the universe will die and I will still have a burning hatred of Operation Overdrive. The Characters, The Plot the stupid decision by Disney to crop the Sentai footage. All of it is horrible.

I didn't place Jungle Fury because honestly I haven't watched it since it aired and Overdrive burned me out so bad I just didn't care.

• The topic was locked
  • 1 year later...

Wow. Random search and here it is. Doesn't look popular, but I'll post away.

Dino Thunder and SPD were my originals - even if I never saw all the episodes - but after that was nothing. Until a few years back where I watched the full seasons of both on Amazon Prime [kinda hate how the entire series has now been wiped from it, but it gave me an excuse to sign up for Netflix, so...], then continued on through to the current. Didn't start on Mighty Morphin' until last year, where I've currently been doing the same as I had before, but from the start.

I've obviously become a fan, but the Saban seasons didn't convince me except for a few. Time Force is now my second favourite, with In Space being fourth. Lightspeed Rescue just about misses out from that list only because of Jungle Fury. But Dino Thunder will always no matter what be my all-time favourite. And it isn't just nostalgia. It's pretty much the growth of the characters, some great episode concepts, and one of the best team-ups in the series. I also like how it serves the purpose of being an introduction to Rangers as a whole, thanks to the first five episodes being some of the most well constructed of the series [and Tommy's video log in episode 4 of the legacy of the Rangers helps].

Rangers after RPM, though? I can just barely get through them. One particular episode I give out on why these seasons are bad is Dino Charge 2.05. It should be great. One of the characters finally finds his dad. Hardly any emotion in it, and the battles within it still demonstrate the obnoxious chatter during battles that DOESN'T EVEN SOUND REALISTIC EVEN FOR RANGERS STANDARDS. And that pretty much runs through most of the Neo-Saban seasons. Ninja Steel is sort of getting better with this, but it'll take a long while before the series recovers from six-seven seasons of the same unemotional, obnoxious tirade.